Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 72 and sunny out there. I'll have a big cup of coffee and a bear claw, Flo. Thanks.

Willie - meant to ask yesterday - what is your weathering technique you used on that DPM structure you posted a photo of yesterday? I like the effect you got. I stink so far at weathering, so I don't do much of it.
Patrick - Looks like you've got a nice haul of train stuff coming your way!!

Went down to the modeling bench last night to paint the walls of that DPM structure I'm working on. Wanted to use the D&RGW Red but the cap was stuck. Tried grabbing it with a sheet of sandpaper, tried hitting the cap gently with a screwdriver, tried my channel locks, tried running hot water over it - - NOTHING!! It's my last bottle of that color, too. I don't want to try the channel lock pliers too hard, 'cause I've done what Willie posted the other day - busted the bottle and got paint all over my hand. If I can't get it open tonight, I'll have to change my color scheme plans.

Have a good day everyone.

Everyone - Forgot to thank everyone who commented about my photos of the 5 and Dime yesterday. It's a nice addition to the layout, and reminds me of the 5 and Dime in the town where I grew up.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 74° to start our day here in North Central Texas. High temperature only hit 89° yesterday, a welcome respite from the mid-90's we've been seeing. Upper 90's for a couple more days and then a cold front arriving Thursday night should keep things in the lower 90's.
Been staying busy around the house with domestic duties, and some limited but necessary yard work. Since it isn't raining any more, mowing time has been reduced. I only water around the immediate house as a grass fire deterrent.

Thanks for the many comments and likes for the progress pictures posted yesterday, as well as the Feed Store one; Johnny, Dave, Phil, Chet, Sherrel, Jerome, Curt, Patrick,Tom, Ken.
I actually have some gondolas that have loads besides scrap rolling around the layout.
This one is a LifeLike P2K gon with a pipe load from Jaeger
07-09-19 002.JPG

Next is an Atlas RTR gondola with a Chooch load of steel wire.
07-09-19 003.JPG

Lastly is a very old Tyco car that I upgraded with body-mount couplers and metal wheels, with it's original train set load. The train set was a Christmas gift from my kids when they were all less than 10 years old.
07-09-19 005.JPG

Speaking of progress photos, out in the train shed yesterday I scratchbuilt another small backyard structure with remnants of laser-cut walls. This time a small chicken house for the trailer house next door to the red house w/doghouse.
07-09-19 001.JPG

Today I will be adding a fenced-in chicken yard with residents.

Ray - Interesting about the Bachmann gondolas. Never bought any of their RTR stuff. I do have to trim down some of the Chooch loads as they are mostly sized for 53' cars.
Dave - Sounds like a really fun weekend camping at the new homestead.
Sherrel - If I remember correctly, the doghouse is a scale 3' x 4.5', big enough for Rover. Yeah! You didn't have any issues parking the RV at my house!:)LOL
Johnny - The high freight door on the feed store is positioned along a freight spur, a holdover from when it used to receive stuff via railcar. While they could still receive that way, modern equipment holds more than they could fit in the structure. The same spur serves a lumberyard to the left.
Curt - Wish that you hadn't mentioned the microwave. Ours is going on 25 years now!;)
Ken - Thoughts and prayers for your upcoming surgery. Forgive me for forgetting exactly what you posted it was.
Louis - Glad to read that you survived the 4th. That's a good looking hobby shop.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning,

72 and sunny, headed for 83. Yesterday was a little muggy but a comfortable 86, nice breeze blowing.

Patrick-- what a buy! It will take you a week just to go through everything!

Louis-- looks like you had a great 4th

Willie-- I like the culvert load best, super realistic!

Another box car arrived from Ebay yesterday. Looks like I have purchased an additional 15 old timer type box cars in the last few months, weathered almost all of them era specific. Not sure how many more I need, as I have still many from the old layout that will fit this era (pre 1930's).

I am just about out of photos, mostly have different angles of the layout:

corrected wash.jpg

This one shows the small water feature, runoff from the industrial area. Pretty clean stuff, that!

more later, Dave

Willie I am going to assume that Burlington Northern gondola is one of the most special cars in your fleet considering the provenance, thanks for sharing it with us. I love to hear of stuff like that!

PS really nice touch keeping the original load!

Good Day from the West!
Supposed to reach a high of 83* today (normal is 90*), last year was 94*, and record of 98* in 2012.

I do not understand how things break when they have just been sitting for less than a month?
I have steps that will not go either up or down ... I have a mirror which just fell off the bathroom cabinet ... HELP!

NOT going to be a nice day!

LOUIS -- good to see your back!

Sherrel, is this on the motor home?
If so, not using it is the reason they won’t work. The worst thing for any mechanical device is to just leave it sitting for extended periods.

And a late good day to all. Ah yes, SS-DD . 90* and humid. Doesn't change. Did some small chores, hit grocery store and back in COOL of the a/c. Ain't gonna go outside if don't gotta. Oh yeah, got the mail, ads, and brought in garbage and cycle carts.
Wish y'all a cool peaceful day,
Phil

WHEN IN DOUBT, LOOK INTELLIGENT

Afternoon All,

Went out last night and bought a new over the stove microwave. We decided to install it and it took about 2 hours today to mount. By doing it ourselves we saved $120. MOH took the boys to their dental appointment this afternoon. They will be here tomorrow also. Thursday I'm meeting up with Jon and Phil.

Louis- Sounds like a fun time.

Willie- Some more nice gondola loads.

Dave- A nice scene.

Terry- I'm always amazed by how sharp the radius's are that Lionel trains run on.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Louis, I don’t know if you found the post where I had gotten some Lionel stuff for around the tree.View attachment 37923
I do remember that post, but I glanced over them all so quickly I did not absorb all the details.

That's great stuff, congratulations! What is the action Boxcar? It looks like a Bugs Bunny & Yosemite Sam Outlaw Action Car, but I think they were all live stock cars.
Is that a Toys R Us Boxcar next to the crossing sign?

Nothing says Christmas like a Lionel train under the tree!

I do remember that post, but I glanced over them all so quickly I did not absorb all the details.

That's great stuff, congratulations! What is the action Boxcar? It looks like a Bugs Bunny & Yosemite Sam Outlaw Action Car, but I think they were all live stock cars.
Is that a Toys R Us Boxcar next to the crossing sign?

Nothing says Christmas like a Lionel train under the tree!
The action car is Mickey Mouse and Bad Pete.
The other car is a Tropicana car.

Good Afternoon Everyone.....humid and near 90 degrees.

On the way to the post office, at the Hampton Avenue CN crossing, a train pulled by ten locomotives of which nine were brand new GEVO CN locomotives. Impressive!!! And the train that was being pulled was a unit train of bulk oil cars with over 100 cars in tow.

My plans for a train day were delayed by a nap that turn into hours of rest. But, I did get some mailing boxes to ship some locomotives out for weathering.

Not much to report today.

Later all....

Greg

##############################################

IMG_0354.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back