Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the commercially available scrap loads, I do use some drybrushing and weathering powders on some of them to add highlights. An eventual project is to add some of the "homemade" scrap to the tops of the loads as well.
I bought a couple of Bachmann MRL gondolas because they had scrap loads included. They were almost all bits of steam locos and the castings were short by about 3/8" overall. They had filled the space left at each end with bits of black foam. This was definitely NIB, because I've seen others the same advertised (didn't notice when buying). I've been collecting bits to put in and on top for these and others, even the plastic safety caps off my wife's insulin needles.

Good Morning All. 74° and partly cloudy to start the week. Not a lot happening weather-wise, hot and dry until someone spots a thunderstorm on radar and they quickly add it to the forecast. How about something cool this morning Flo, like raisin bran and some bacon.

Appreciate the likes and comments regarding the loaded gondolas everyone; Chet, Jerome, Sherrel, Phil, Tom.

I was able to get in a little time out in the train shed yesterday. Worked on the barbed-wire fence and got it installed. If you missed last years post that I made on making one, here's a couple of progress pictures. It's not exactly to scale, but the illusion works. I start with some short pieces of toothpicks and drill some .020" holes in them.
07-08-19 001.JPG

I then string some .010" wire through them, kinda spray paint everything light brown, drill holes and install.
07-08-19 004.JPG

At the house next door, I added details to the backyard. First, if you make any laser-cut structures, you generally have this stuff leftover.
07-06-19 001.JPG

So I cut some up along with a few short pieces of stripwood and got this.
07-06-19 002.JPG

And you can come up with this.
07-06-19 007.JPG

I also made a wood pile and added Rover and came up with this not quite finished scene. Pictures show that I need to put on the Optivisors and touch up the doghouse a little bit.
07-08-19 003.JPG

Need to add some bushes so Rover has somewhere to go besides on the decorative plant! I've got some shade trees ready over on the workbench and I'm looking for a couple of little people and some lawn furniture to include in the scene.

Beady - You're such a party animal.

I think that yesterday was the slowest day I have ever seen on the forum. Everyone must be on vacation or just out enjoying the summer.
Seems that I forgot to turn the pool filter on earlier when I went for my daily walk, so I better get busy.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. Been off since last Thursday - nice long weekend loaded with burgers, hot dogs, iced tea, and ice cream!! Now I'm ready for another cup of coffee this morning, please, Flo. 70 degrees and sunny out there.

Not too much activity on the Forum over the holiday weekend, I guess.
Willie - Some nice photos as always.
Chet - Looks like you had a great time on the club layout.
Dave - Nice photos
Terry - Hope you are doing better. I like that quote about closing the blinds!

Had a great long weekend, and actually got some serious train time. Ran trains every day, did some scenicking, and cleaned up the layout and the modeling bench. By the way, on the modeling bench, I finished the Five and Dime structure and installed it on the layout, finished another unknown structure (that is, I don't know what it's going to be on the layout) and just have some touch-up painting to do on it, and started another structure (a DPM build - not sure what it will be - it's advertised as the packing house, but I don't need a packing house on my layout, so I'll have to think of another industry I want there). Some photos of the 5 and Dime below. The first one was taken after I had done some basic landscaping near it, the other one was taken before that.

Benson5&10_#3.jpg

Benson5&10_#4.jpg

By the way, I have a new saying: "Any day I can walk away from the modeling bench without gluing my fingers together is a good day!" It's a goal to shoot for :rolleyes:

Good morning all, looks like Beady is keeping everyone on their toes!

We were up north for the weekend, had beautiful weather . Mowed and cut down some more trees. Purchased a Coleman screen canopy tent and slept in that with a big air mattress. We both slept well, however no owls or cyotes to serenade us, just a lone bull frog croaking throughout the night. It cooled off quite a bit overnight, must have been upper 50's. Then mid 80's during the day.

Traffic pretty crummy on the way back, however only took an extra 15 minutes (seemed like we were slow a lot more than that).

THANKS for comments on the photo. I am about to run out unless I find some old memory cards.

Johnny-- really nice five and time

Karl-- nice sunset shot!

Willie-- dog house is superb

Everyone-- glad you survived the fourth. Fireworks a little over the top for us, luckily the cat is not affected. Our dog would cower and tremble, however.

Here are some tiny details, on the bottom of this photo is the "hunt", the dog is on chase with a couple rabbits bounding ahead:

landscape1 004.JPG

have a great day, Dave

Good morning. Only 82* , sunny with puffy clouds to the east but gray storm clouds way off to the west. They'll get here soon enough.
WILLY- When the t/s's come rolling in we shut down the 'puker.
We expect more rain later but should be spotty.
Keep those pictures coming. Love to see how its done , the before and after shots are great.
Best wishes to all,
Phil

DON"T GROW UP. IT"S A TRAP

Morning from the West -- supposed to be 78* today (normal is 90*), last year was 98*, and the record was 102* in 2017.
OK, Please, FLO, Just coffee and a cinnamon roll this morning.

Beady sure keeps the place active!

Willie: Like the details -- how large is that doghouse? (in HO scale) Got to be pretty small?

JOHNNY: Nice to see a "steamer" on the layout. Your layout and construction look very nice.

Wondering how TERRY is fairing this morning?

I didn't get the RV yesterday - found lots of minor projects - and actually finished up several of them.
With the other half and her entourage leaving Wednesday morning, I decided that today would bring the RV over -- that way I can stay within the 48-hour HOA suggestion. Don't want to stir the pot any more than I have too. My house is on a corner lot and it does make it hard to see around the vehicle when it is in front of the house. If my driveway were only 10 feet longer, I could back it in, but if I do that it blocks the sidewalk - that would irritate everyone - lots of joggers, walkers, baby strollers, and dog walking. SIGH! If only I lived out where Willie is!

Willie - Yeah, that looks like the DPM structure (Packing House) that I'm starting to work on. It looks like you turned it sideways toward your road - I like that look. A feed store or farm supply would be good on my layout, and one of those is probably the way I'll go with this structure.

Here are a few more photos of my 5 And Dime store: The first one is a close-up of the north side of the structure to show some of the advertisements on the wall. The second one just shows the structure with the daily freight train running behind it - should have stopped the train for the photo but I forgot.

Benson5&10_#5.jpgBenson5&10_#8.jpg

Good Afternoon Everyone...sunny and starting to get humid. Just returned home from the cabin.

Great photographs of some of my old girl friends.

Dave: Is your land in Wisconsin?

I ordered some real nice looking decals sets of old building signs that should give results like George Sellios' signs.

t2decals.com

The high water on lakes near the cabin reduced the amount of fireworks since most piers are under water or still not installed. I remember going to the fireworks display in the late 60's with a couple of guys who just returned from Vietnam and they weren't too happy with the mortars exploding.

Tomorrow I hope to go down to the trains.

Greg

######################################################

Beat Up Con.jpg

Here's a gon for Willie. -Greg

Afternoon All,

Watching the boys Mon-Wed during the day while daughter has to be at the school preparing for the school year. A family friend took them to the movies this afternoon with his kids to see something about Spiderman. Our over the stove microwave has died (19 yo) so I guess we got our money out of it.

I finished what I could do with the kit until I get the flat cars back (Thursday). Sunday I'm participating in the club's open house.

Karl- Sorry to hear about your losses.

Willie- Nice looking loads. Great scene with the doghouse.

Toot- Bachmann is a strange company. Some of their things are very good and some are crap.

Patrick- It's like waiting for Christmas.

Johnny- Very nice modeling.

20190708_115650-2016x1512.jpg

20190708_120404-2016x1512.jpg

20190708_120510-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 70*F, humid and calm here in the Land of Pleasant Living. Ground is still soggy from the torrential downpours that Karl spoke of this morning.

Got my pre-op checkup with my primary care doc today. Surgery is exactly one week from today, so that means I have to avoid taking any blood-thinning drugs, aspirin, ibuprofen, or vitamin supplements. Also started shopping for all the "special" clothing and gear I'll need during the recovery period, lots of fun [NOT]o_O.

I tried to get some scenery down on the layout this past weekend, installing some of the pre-made shrubbery that my friend Keith made for me. As of Sunday morning however, I realized that I'd much rather run trains than do scenery work once I'm semi-mobile again - so I put away all of the tools and materials that were covering the layout surface and began pulling rolling stock back out of the boxes and onto the track. I'm pre-staging the trains similar to when I'm planning an op session, but without any formal paperwork (switch lists and manifests).

Since I'll need to avoid lifting anything over 10 lbs or getting into contorted positions, I plan to always have at least one of my local able-bodied mrr friends visiting any time whenever I'm running trains, so they can do any crawling under the benchwork if necessary to fix any derailments [and also prevent me from doing it and risking injury to the surgical wounds, LOL].

Hope everyone is doing well.

Good morning Everybody!

I skimmed through all the posts I missed, mostly looking at the pictures. Forgive me if I missed something.

Our 4th of July celebration was fantastic! We had a few rain drops, but they did not hinder us. I watched the lightning strikes move around us. First they were in the south than to the west and finally passing to the north.

The best part of the day was when my Aunt Joan arrived. Many of you remember she had a stroke a few months ago and was not expected to recover, but sure enough she is coherent and she had a good appetite! She was able to stay and hold court for several hours, thank God!

My nephew whom I had not seen in several years came with his entire family! He had gotten upset with me over the last presidential election as we were both strongly in favor of opposite sides. He and several of his fireman cohorts had tried to convince me I was wrong in my support of the opposite side, one even threatened me with violence on facebook! It easy to be brave and bold behind a computer screen. I asked my nephew to give him my address and tell him to come see me, but he never came. That other fireman did like many of my "friends" have done in the months since the election, unfriended me on Facebook.

My nephew, Shawn came to me when he arrived on the 4th and apologized and in addition said to me "Uncle Lou, you were right" I stoped him there, he did not need to say anymore, I knew what he was talking about and told him not to worry. I have always been so proud of him. To see a big, strong and soon to be 45 year old man admit he was wrong made me even more proud of him. I told him "nothing would ever make me stop loving you". I ended the discussion at that point as my wife had asked me to refrain from the subject of politics. I can happily report, I did not disappoint my wife. :) Two days earlier my silly sister asked me "is it ok if Shawn, Lisa and his daughters come on the 4th?" When she asked I thought to myself "what a stupid f...ing question!" I told her "of course they came come I would love it if they did!"

I missed some old faces, that had been regular attendees in years past. My longtime friend Willy (sorry Sherrel, but that is his name) ;) is not feeling his best and is still working full time. He needed the day to rest and was greatly missed. I hope and pray now that Willy has finally come to terms with his chronic health problems and is taking his medications his health will improve. We can deny the truth, but sooner or later it bites us in the ass.

Several of my other old cohorts were missed and I found out we no longer have connections to the Bedouins of North Africa or the good ol' boys farming in Kentucky. One old timer brought Maryland's recently legalized medical "stuff" I tasted it but I thought it smelled like "zombie weed". I told my old buddy "if they give that to somebody on temporary disability they will never go back to work!" He did give me an "edible candy" and it worked great to reduce my pain for clean up the following day. I did too much cleaning up on the 5th and my back felt even worse on the 6th! It's not for me, I don't take anything for pain. If I do I always end up doing too much and making things worse.

All in all we had a great day on the 4th. It was the largest attendance we have had. It seemed like people were everywhere. Makes me happy to think this should go on for many more 4ths. I hope in the future some or all of you can come.

This year I was smart, I did not work two days before or two days after the 4th. When I returned to work on the 7th I felt fine. I worked again yesterday and I feel fine again today. This new routine and working shorter evening blocks for Amazon is working for me, thank God!

I hope all is well for Everybody, God Bless Us All!

Auctions always seem to get high at the last minute. I expect it be be here probably next week, so I'll see what I end up with.
If there's several bidders, they get up to a figure fairly early, then stop. Nothing happens then till the last minute at the earliest, The last 10 seconds is when it gets serious or not. That's when you put in your max bid a take pot luck.

My grandson Ayden and his Mom, my youngest daughter Nikki
1562669290030.png

Nikki and Ayden were both a big help with all the preparations as well.

The next day my wife told me she asked Nikki for help when she arrived on the morning of the 4th and Nikki's reply was "Mom, I'm not here to work" Later on the 4th when my wife came outside she saw Nikki setting up the tables in the yard. My wife asked me "how did you get her to help?" I said "She volunteered to help me". Daddy's little girl always looks out for me.

Ayden is the opposite, when I ask for his help I get "who, what, how where, when and why" if my wife asks him for help there is no hesitation.

Last edited:
I almost forgot to mention, my 24.5lb smoked turkey was a big success! It took 7 1/2 hours to cook and was gone in less than 1 hour! They did leave me the carcass to make soup and I added the left over crab claws. Now the soup is gone, I had it everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner until it was gone!

Morning all,

The auction stuff should arrive today if my daughter was given the correct information. I'll know better then what I have. What I do know by the photos and description is I have 47 pounds of train stuff coming.
8754692374632JeeG.jpg

I have the expanded views of most of this. There are also pictures of a bunch of Lego blocks and K'nex parts and pieces. I know some of the cars are crap but the Blue box stuff includes an engine that I believe is a GP9, which is just outside my desired time period, but time warps happen. It's my railroad...lol

2125164374632JeeG.jpg
6212818374632JeeG.jpg

As usual with shipping I think she paid too much, some of this stuff is higher as I grow older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back