Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's foggy and 65.
Ray, when and where did the ID10T play chicken with 844? I can't find anything on the news about it.

Good Monday Morning Gang. It's 77° and partly cloudy. My high temperature yesterday was 112° between 1300 and 1700, while both of the Weather Underground stations located about 1.25 miles south recorded 113°. Cold front should be here in about three hours, holding today's high to 101°, on through the next ten days. Headed out shortly for an 8:00 am appointment with the dental hygienist.
Bathroom remodel has been temporarily halted while we wait for some stuff to arrive. My contractor didn't get as far as he wanted, but he needed to start another job that he already delayed a week. Easier for him to take a day off that job when our stuff is ready than to spend another half day here today installing the toilet and the shelves, both of which are ready to go. He brought his eleven year old son with him yesterday as a helper/clean-up man.
Out in the train shed yesterday, well not exactly in it, I used the contractor's portable table saw to cut 32 pieces of 4" x 8' fascia board and 3 pieces of 5.25" x 8' that all will be used on the layout. That along with what is already installed will make the benchwork look more "professional". While I am thinking of just painting it flat black, I am open to suggestions. The taller pieces are intended to be added to the turnback loops where the track comes close to the edge of the layout. While I haven't had any mishaps or derailments there yet, I am concerned about mine and visitors' elbows. I do have some delicate scenery between the track and layout edge as well, such as "W" signs. I ran some trains for my young visitor while he was there. I also finished painting a few unpainted figures that I'll be using to finish a scene.

Chet - Great picture of the doggie on the bike. While I have seen similar things here, the goggles are the real kicker! Congratulations on the bowling money.
Curt - It is amazing that they actually let Sherrel carry passengers, you or I could have been on one of his flights! As I recall, they even let him pilot 747's!
Sherrel -
Willie -- You are spending a fortune on that bathroom! :eek::eek:
It might seem that way, but I am currently under-budget, even with the added bag of grout and the custom shower door. Contractor's price is not going to change regardless of how much more time that he spends. I have been using a contractor buddy of mine's (the guy who recommended the one that I am using) "contractor discount" for all supplies purchased at Home Depot and at Lowe's. It has meant a 5% discount on everything so far.

Gotta wait 'til tomorrow for pictures, as I have to get ready for my appointment. See everyone later.
Everyone have a great day.

Good morning everyone. a welcome 66 degrees, hitting just 87 later today: a real "blue norther" for the middle of summer.

Spent Saturday roaming all over town with MOH hunting for just the right stuff for our remodel. I agree with others - - "Yes, Dear" is the right answer for every question (except the famous, "Does this make me look fat?"). Sunday part of the family came over for lunch after church - I grilled, just hamburgers and hotdogs but I've finally learned how to grill them right, and boy were they good. Grass-fed meat all around. Home-made iced tea to drink, baked beans, potato salad - and ice cream for dessert. Makes me drool just thinkin' about it.

Pine Valley core of engineers released some more water to help fill the lake. Next step is to make the little spillway from the lake to the stream. Also finished most of the MR-IV project and put it on the layout. Still have some work to do on the rear end of that structure, but for now it's looking good on Main Street. Took photos but they're not loading correctly today. Will work on it later.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning y'all. 74° and soggy with occasional bursts of sunlight. Going to about 82°.

Garry: That shot of your Alcos on the bridge is great. I like the depth of your scenery.
Willie: I'm musing at your remodeling adventure, knowing full well that I will soon be musing over my own kitchen remodeling project.
Chet: That's one cool canine on that bike. Love the tiny goggles.
Johnny: The burgers sound yummy!

The wet weather, has slowed the work on the marine terminal warehouse - painting the windows and trim. However, I am building benchwork, (modules), in the garage. When finished, the warehouse will hold two 50' box cars inside.

Have a great day!

Boris

Good morning. 50 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the low 80's.

Willie
- I have also seen dogs riding on motorcycles before, but had to do a double take when I saw the goggles I couldn't resist taking the photo. Stay cool if you can down there. Saw the weather forecast on TV this morning and holy moly, is it hot in Texas. Be careful that you don't become a crispy critter. Your bathroom remodeling has really turned into a nightmare. We totally gutted 2 bathrooms a couple of years ago and guess we were lucky because everything moved along quickly compared to what you are going through. Even the tile work moved along at a reasonable rate. The guy doing the tile work was working on it in his spare time and got things done quickly. The only issue we had was getting the Jacuzzi tub. We could have had to wait three weeks to get the one we wanted at Home Depot, but did manage to find one that worked at Lowes.

Johnny - You had the right attitude shopping with your wife for your remodel. Happy wife, happy life.

Off the subject of model railroading. My son brought to out attention that our local Wal Mart is now using facial recognition and had microphones located throughout the store listening to customers and employees. I haven't been in a Wal Mart for years, but my wife would stop in on here weekly shopping trip to buy certain items, which lately have been out of stock. Empty shelves . Not for special items, but regular every day items. After hearing about the facial recognition, she will no longer go there.

Here's my rail picture for today.

railway.jpg

Later

Chet, according to nearly everything I can find, Walmart discontinued the facial recognition/microphone experiment over three years ago. Unless, of course, they secretly restarted it.
The government already tracks my driving habits using traffic cameras with license plate tracking...

Terry, They must have started it again. My son is a computer geek and really up to date with modern technology and then he and his wife were checking out he was looking a a TV monitor watching faces pixelized just like what he is familiar with for facial recognition.

Some times technology can get out of hand. No more Wal Mart for our family.

Technology also seems to be the buzz work for advertising. I have to laugh at how advertisers have to stick the work into everything. Mops have technology, under ware has technology, feminine pads have technology. They just have to get that word in their ads.

In todays world, you just about can't love without it, but I try to avoid it as much as possible. Yes, I enjoy my DirecTV, the computer, but is I can do without it, I will. Have you ever seen how some people go into melt down when there's something wrong with their smart phone?

Here are those photos of my Merchant's Row IV structure. On the left a close-up. Need to put 3 or 4 more pedestrians on the sidewalk, and a kid or two on bikes. On the right you can see it on my main street - it's the building closest to the firehouse. May put a side street between it and the firehouse.
MR-IV close-up.jpgMR-IV on main street.jpg

Monday morning trains. Brought out the old BB Uboat. Don't think anyone saw my last post. Is the brown too light for my ties?

Attachments

• IMG_20180723_105812155.jpg
    IMG_20180723_105812155.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20180723_004010757_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180723_004010757_LL.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 145
Joe. ... thanks for your comment about my photo of the RS3’s . ..

Johnny .. very good looking Merchats Row building.

Chet ... your typo made me smile. You were talking about technology and you said you can’t love without it . Funny ... Next you said you try to avoid it .... LOL ... I can hardly wait until Toot reads that and comments. .

Justin. ... your brown ties look fine to me. . Nice photo of the U boat.

Afternoon All,

Had a downpour late last night for a couple of hours. The only thing missing was the hurricane force winds. Did some chores today then didn't feel like doing anything else so I didn't. Being retired I can do that (occasionally). Not sure what is going on this week.

Terry- Thanks. You confirmed my theory.

Justin- It's whatever you like. I don't paint my ties (code 83) except the rust color that gets on the edges from painting rail and a black wash in between the rails.

Willie- A nice Tuscan Red like I use would be nice:cool:.

Chet- Nice rail shot. Big brother is why I cancelled OnStar in my wife's car. My truck is too old for it.

Johnny- Really nice building and layout pics.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Speaking of using a black wash. My primary revenue is coal. What kind of mixture do you use? In all honesty just throwing coal down seems to be a little off. I mean here and there through out the layout to simulate spillage I get. But just full on well that just seems a bit much.

Justin- I use craft store black paint mixed with RA and just brush it on. I use just a little bit thicker than a wash for the center and a thinner mix to use in a eye dropper on the "shoulders" of the ballast to dirty them up. The shoulders have a alcohol consistency so it is absorbed and doesn't just lay on top. You should experiment to find what you like.

Justin, I use a combination of grey limestone ballast and cinders ballast. More cinders, less limestone closer to the mine, more limestone, less cinders further away.

Afternoon Rail Folks! It's 101 outside - and that's not the highway either. Supposed to be like 103 tomorrow and then going higher for a few days before dropping back into the high 90's.
Sigh , no clouds, 27% humidity - period

Justin - Your ties/rail look fine. Like others have said - you need to vary the color and also the ballast. Also need to have a few darker ties where they may have been replaced.

Too bad about the railfan getting hit by the #844. I see no reason that they should have had to cancel the trip and buss everyone back. They already had all the details - get hit by a train, you usually die???

Johnny - The layout and town photos are really nice. You have come a long way, baby!

Johnny - The town is really coming along nicely. Good photos.

Justin
- The ties look alright. The color can very not only in different parts of the country, but also on a single railroad depending on the surroundings of the tracks.

Curt - I never continued my subscription with OnStar. To start with I didn't want it but it was included with the car, as it is in most GM vehicles for years. I did try it in some of the more remote parts of the state where there was poor or no cell service, and On Star was totally useless. I can drive 15 miles south of my house into the Gallatin Canyon and On Star won't work. all of the technology that is now being put into new cars has effectively run me totally out of the market. Now that I am retired, most or all of my driving will be pleasure driving and I have a shop full of vehicles that I can use besides my Buick.

Later

Good morning. It's foggy and 65.
Ray, when and where did the ID10T play chicken with 844? I can't find anything on the news about it.
The video of the "accident" was shown on one of the MRL FB sites. Graphic, but from some distance. The woman that died appears to be standing on or at the end of the ties. Even videoing by viewing the oncoming train through the screen of a camera or phone/pad, it's hard to understand how you could ignore a loco the size of 844 when it's almost right on you and get out of the way.
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CvAJz_1532292468

Willie - I do remember the Western Auto, but I think the last time I saw one they were a sponsor on Darrell Waltrip's Winston Cup car. :eek:

MikeInHubCity - now that you have mentioned that, I realized that I have seen a Carquest in about a dozen years or so either.
AAP bought the corporate-owned stores about 5 years ago & has been gradually working handing them in. In some areas, they closed a lower-volume Advance store if there was a well-performing CQ store & just converted that store to AAP. The only remaining Carquest stores, when the changeover is complete, will be franchise ones. AAP, by contract, is now their "preferred provider" in the supply chain.

Good evening guys. Posting the first picture from my HO score. Need some help identifying it.
20180723_210023.jpg

Needs a food cleaning, and the hand rails are MIA, but it's going to make a nice little switching engine. Gotta strip it down and then paint, weather, and detail it. I'll try to post more pics soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back