Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chet, your rail picture. That is some oddball turnout.

The Livingston club seems to do everything very well.

Interesting that the C30-7 is still in the Kodachrome paint scheme in 1996. I had always read that they repainted all 306 locomotives back to their original blue/yellow warbonnet by 1990. But the SD75M wasn't produced until 1994! However some Kodachromes were sold in that paint scheme and may have been leased back later.
I have video of a kodachrome c30-7 in 1997, in southern new york state.

Howdy ....

Ken D&J .... Sorry to hear about your friend needing to dismantle the layout.

Willie ..... Your downtown buildings look fabulous. I like the red Porsche.

Johnny .... It is good to see your progress with MR-IV ...

Louis .... Hey to you too.... I hope you have time to say more soon.

Sherrel .... The Santa Fe consist is definitely colorful. When I first saw the gondola following the locomotives, I thought it was carrying a big rock, but actually it is in the mountain behind it.

Chet ..... Interesting tracks in your photo.... The Livingston Lionel layout is very impressive. Much more than the Lionel I have under the tree for Christmas.

Has anybody heard from Ken Iron Belt ?

Good morning y'all. Low 70s with more rain on the horizon. I'd like to get some hash browns and a bacon sandwich, hold the bread, and a big ol glass of sweet tea.

While I'm waiting:

Ken D&J: hate to hear you friend is sacrificing his layout, but I commend him for helping out his MiL.

Willie: town looks great. Definitely keep the pics coming.

Johnny: can't wait to see the finished merchants row. Looking good.

Chet: enjoyed the rail pic, but I think it's time to send em home. They appear to be drunk and need to sleep it off.

Sherrel: nice pic of the Santa Fe consist.

Now on to train news:

I'm meeting a guy today to buy a box of HO stuff. Trains, buildings, and as he says "a ton of track". Hoping to use it as trades or just resell it elsewhere to finance acquisition of new rail right of way for my maintenance yard.

Supposed to be meeting another guy to buy another train if it's still available. He had someone say that they wanted it, but never said more (sound familiar Terry?) If that guy doesn't show, I get it. No idea what brand it is, or age, but it appears to be O and has 3 rails. And the guy says it appears to be mostly metal, not plastic. For the price, I'm hoping to get a deal.

I'll check back later, hopefully with good news from the rails and pics. I smell my bacon so it's time to eat. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone. 70 and clear, hitting 91 today. I need coffee big time o_O

Well, the remodel project got underway yesterday with demolition, removal of old fixtures, tearing down a couple of walls, etc. Some more today, and then we wait for the new items (vanity, tub, shower, mirrors, etc.) to arrive and be installed. In the meantime MOH and I are sharing a single sink vanity in a cramped guest bathroom.

Here's a photo of some landscaping progress in the southeast corner of the layout:

SouthEast Corner Layout progress - 15-July-2018.jpg
In addition to the green landscaping, still have to put in the road that disappears into that tunnel and make that woodworking business area look more realistic.

That's it for now. I smell the coffee!!! Have a good day everyone.

I'm meeting a guy today to buy a box of HO stuff. Trains, buildings, and as he says "a ton of track". Hoping to use it as trades or just resell it elsewhere to finance acquisition of new rail right of way for my maintenance yard.

I do this quite often. Find a good lot of stuff, pick out what I want, and turn around and flip it. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes your stuck with lots of stuff to practice weathering and bashing.

Hoping to flip it since it's all the wrong scale for my layout. At least, that's the attitude I'm trying to maintain so that I don't try to keep it and make another layout. The better half won't go for that right now.

Good Morning All. A little cooler this morning at 77° and clear, but a bit hazy. Temperature hovered at 101° from 1330 to 1800 yesterday and will do so again today. Planning on a cozy 106° Thursday and Friday. Pool is losing about 125 gallons a day due to evaporation. Spent time yesterday morning kicking a soccer ball around with my grandsons. I can kick the ball much farther than they can, but I don't retrieve very well, Can you say "slow saunter"? So they rotate being the retriever on my end of the yard.
I reluctantly resumed painting the backside of the train shed yesterday, now that I am borrowing the contractors 8' ladder. I am finally getting the top 6" of the wall and under the eaves done. I'm only good for about 90 minutes of that at a time in this heat. I did get about 40% yesterday with 0 spills. Should get it all done before he needs it back, as my 20' extension ladder is a bit unwieldy.
Another mishap with the bathroom remodel yesterday, this time with no injuries. Contractor chipped an already installed but not yet grouted shower wall tile that he has to remove and replace today. I only bought three extra and he already broke one last week when cutting a hole for the shower head. He is hoping to remove it without breaking it so he can still use part of it for the small pieces that he saved for last.
Thanks for the positive comments regarding my latest picture postings, Chet, Johnny, Curt, Garry, Jesse and anyone that I may have missed.
Out in the train shed, I continued detailing. Adding more figures, trash cans, alley litter and street signs. This part is going slow, but it is for me, one of my most favorite aspects of the hobby. I didn't get to spend as much time there as I would have liked with all the other stuff happening around me, contractor, grandkids, painting, pool, etc.

Johnny - MR IV is looking good so far. Should be another keeper. Demo work on the remodel is the quickest part of the project. We stripped to studs and joists since there was some water damage. Sharing our main bathroom hasn't been a problem since I get up at least three hours before she does and I am in and out in under ten minutes. Plus I live in the boonies so it reduces male usage...
Chet - New grill! What a great gift to yourself. Mine is probably past it's useful life and needs replacing. I have already scratchbuilt new bottom grates from expanded metal twice.
Boy! They have it all at the Livingston club.
Louis - Good to see...wait, where did he go?
Curt - Congratulations to your parents on their 63rd anniversary. Hope that we can celebrate ours at some point, only 17 more years to go.
Terry - I don't doubt that there may have been some C30-7's left in the Kodachrome scheme for a while after. 1990 is just what I have read, and you and Sherrel have proven that source to be in error, unless they are really lease units. SPSF = Southern Pacific Santa Fe = Shouldn't Paint So Fast.
Jesse - Good luck with the potential purchases.
Garry - While IronBeltKen hasn't posted in what seems like a month, I have fleetingly seen his name listed in "Members Online" every so often, including a bit after noon yesterday just before I took a nap.

I have a lot more pictures, but don't have time this morning to post right now. Stay tuned.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. 56 degrees at 0500 and an expected high in the upper 70's.

Toot - The club in Livingston is impressive. They have done some really nice work. I think the kids enjoy the Lionel layout the best. The club pays no rent or utilities. The old Northern Pacific depot is now a museum and they like the idea of having a layout for people to see being that it is of course railroad related. It is now part of the museum. They did the best they could in the three rooms that the layout occupies. The club is open to visitors on Thursdays from 1 PM until 4 PM and on Saturday evenings from 7 PM until 9 PM. During tourist season, the place is usually packed and not much work gets done until winter when there aren't as many visitors. Some of the members who live in Livingston will do some maintenance if it is needed when the layout is closed to the public.

ACL CSX
- Hope you can find some items that you can use when you have your meeting.

Johnny
- Like the scenery photo. Looks good.

Willie
- Our old grill is in need of replacement. We think is is probably 15 years old and has had a lot of use being tha twe grill a lot and also all year long. We did have a few times when we had to dig it out of the snow to use it. I have the parts for the new one scattered all over the living room floor now. I can see that I will probably be working on my vocabulary as the instructions aren't the best. Sort of reminds me of Walther directions.

I should get cracking on it so I'll post a rail photo and get out of here.

robert-santafede-runaway-fnl1.jpg

Later

Morning All:
Only be 90 today they say, and CAAFB!
Got to meet a grader guy at the MIL's this morning.
Spousal Unit says all is well and that she has not broken anything - so far!

Good morning ..

Johnny .... Your scenery looks very good. It reminds me of the scenery as we were driving across MO to Branson. ... I bet when the remodeling is done, you will be glad you endured the inconvenience in the mean time.

Chet .... That photo captures a mood.

Willie .... I'm glad Iron Belt Ken is lurking and hope he finds time to comment.

As some of you are talking about, I have also purchased used rolling stock and locomotives in lots. I keep what I want and sell the rest for more than enough to cover the original amount I paid. Sometimes, I make minor repairs before selling. ..... However, I have not been doing so recently. I have plenty of locos and cars already.

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and less humid in Wisconsin.

GarryCBQ: Many of my freight cars were purchased used in lots from swap meets or at the LHS. Most have KD couplers and metal wheel sets and were nicely weathered. Some required minor repairs and all need coupler lube and wheel cleaning. Most of them are in use on my layout or will be.

Johnny: Your scenery looks like parts of Wisconsin and very well done.

The Arduino looks interesting, but are they necessary beyond the electronic guys having a lot of uses for the technology.

That's all for now.

Greg

##################

Last edited:
VICTORY - The directions really reminded me of Walthers directions. More of a suggestion, but it all went together and it works.

20180717_101149.jpg 20180717_101214.jpg

It will be put to use tonight. My daughter and the grand kids are coming over.

The weather is still fairly cool so I think it time to mow again.

Later

Enjoying a little lunch, so I thought I'd stop by and share what I'm hopefully getting today.

37077850_2314954488534194_5874837914520649728_n.jpg
37021256_2314951475201162_7942263251864125440_n.jpg
37027097_2314951511867825_7798346001651073024_n.jpg
37053614_2314951578534485_7456028290592014336_n.jpg
37137931_2064429473876964_8619129627899592704_n.jpg

Chet - nice grill. Looks perfect for grilling up slabs of red meat. Keep mine warm. It'll take a bit to get there from SC. Lol

Noon: 84° and I'm back on the deck, watching the world go by.

Good morning. 58 degrees with clear skies to start off the day. The forecast high is supposed to be in the low 80's.
Been meaning to ask: What kind of weather can we expect, the middle of August, when we pass through on our way to Seattle?

Got some good news last night: Our elder son got a job! It's been a year-long search after college, but it looks like he finally made it. He makes body parts for horror movies. No, really: ghostride.com.

Changing the subject, I thought this was mildly amusing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Noon: 84° and I'm back on the deck, watching the world go by.

Been meaning to ask: What kind of weather can we expect, the middle of August, when we pass through on our way to Seattle?

Got some good news last night: Our elder son got a job! It's been a year-long search after college, but it looks like he finally made it. He makes body parts for horror movies. No, really: ghostride.com.

View attachment 29307

I nearly choked on my coca cola reading this at lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back