Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all,

A little cooler start today, Starting in the low 70s and going to the mid 82s with a shower possible later tonight. Looks like the temps will be pretty pleasant all week with highs in the 70s, and low 80s all week. Off to work I go,

Have a great day everyone!

73 degrees in King George, VA. Bike is still in the shop. Really feel void without it here.
I guess I'll spend most of the day in the cool basement as the temps will be in the upper 90s with high humidity.

My friend in Gadsden, AL just gave me some bad news. All the work I did there back in May will have to be dismantled along with what he had already established. His mother-in-law needs a place to stay and the area of the layout is perfect for her.

My friend in Gadsden, AL just gave me some bad news. All the work I did there back in May will have to be dismantled along with what he had already established. His mother-in-law needs a place to stay and the area of the layout is perfect for her.

That sucks!!!! Is it able to be disassembled, and reused when the space becomes available again?

Good Morning All. Clear and 79°. The string of 100° days began early, starting yesterday. We're expecting triple digits for the next ten days at least. But with no humidity or rain, it will be tolerable, yeah!
Out in the train shed, I am continuing to add details to the small town business district. Figures and vehicles were added yesterday, some of which I had to touch up the paint on. Some of the vehicles are just out of the box, so I dismantled them and gave them a shot of dull coat, and added license plates. Since they will be parked for now, drivers are not needed. Spotted a place in the safety fence where a joint had come apart that I will have to fix...of course it is a 30" reach from either side of the layout on the upper level.
Rear view.
07-16-18 001.001.JPG

A view along the main drag.
07-16-18 002.JPG

A view from the other direction. Whooops! Looks like somebody's bike has fallen over.
07-16-18 005.JPG

The Salvation Army store is a DPM structure that I don't believe I posted before. I actually finished it up Saturday after it sat vacant on the layout for six months.
Further down the block is the Velocity Fitness Center and the two still vacant storefronts.
07-16-18 006.JPG

Next block with drugstore, record store and appliance shop.
07-16-18 010.JPG

Tobacco shop at the end of the block (and layout).
07-16-18 012.JPG

Looks like I need to get the vacuum out for a little spot cleaning. We'll visit another street tomorrow. Not completely done yet, but Chet is dying to see pictures!;) An example of things that I still want to complete is to add some weeds to that area between the tobacco shop and the sidewalk in the last picture. I'll need to help "Butch" pick up his bike as well. Some day I will get to the other side of the tracks, have some structures (court house) but I have to finish painting the backdrop and ground first. Everything in front is removable since I work front to back in most cases.o_O

Sherrel - How are all those people going to fit into your RV at once?
Chet - Love that jailbird scene from the club.
Curt - Continued prayers for your SIL.
Ken (D&J) - That's really crappy about your friend's layout. Not sure how that area can be perfect when there's a layout in the way.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. 76 and hitting 93 this afternoon. 30% chance of rain. Some possibility of scattered showers over the next few days. We need it.

Had the kids and grandkids over yesterday for lunch. It had rained overnight and through the early morning, so it was too wet to play outside. Our remodel starts in earnest today with some demo and building several walls. Hope this doesn't take too long, but knowing how remodeling projects go I'm not holding my breath.

Here's a photo of my MR-IV build progress. Still a lot of details to take care of, plus cementing the back wall in place. From left: butcher shop, diner, clothing store. Still have to decide names for the businesses and create the signs.

MR-IV Build Progress 15-July-2018.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. 56 degrees to start the day with an expected high in the low 80's with a chance of thunder showers.

Ken D&J - Sorry to hear about you friend in Alabama. Bummer about the layout being dismantled.

Willie - Thanks for posting those photos. That town is really coming together. It' scomig to life with the figures and I also like the store signs that you have added. Thumb up.gif Keep the photos coming.

Johnny - The merchants row buildings are looking good. I have the same one on my layout and it is a perfect fit for just about any era.

Finally got all of the landscaping cloth down and mulch finished on the east side of the house yesteerday. Another project out of the way. Today I have to do something that I hate to do. Go into town. Have to stop by the Social Security office and have them stop taking withholding out of the monthly check. That will probably be a pain in the butt. While I'm there the wife says that I can look for a new grill. our old one is at least 15 years old and we do use it on a regular basis, year round. Guess I can also pick up some gardening supplies while I'm there.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Amberley_narrow_gauge_track.jpg

Later

Good morning y'all. Temps in the mid 70s this morning. Don't remember the high, but there is rain looming on the forecast so we'll see how that goes. Thanks to all for the comments on my Nova. She does need some TLC, but it will come one day. I can almost understand the desire to part with a child over a car. While I would not go to that extreme, I would let my house go if it came down to it or the car. That car was bought for me by my wife, before she was my wife. I was driving a similar (but uglier) one when we met. I put money into the drivetrain, not it's appearance. So it was as ugly as sin, but was fast. I tell people that she dated me for my car. When she bought me the one I posted for my 21st birthday I knew I was supposed to marry her.

As far as the Buick GNX goes, it is the only V6 I would ever consider putting time and money into as a hot rod. They only built those for 3 years and the 87 was by far the best. I hear the Ford guys talk about it their Ecoboost Mustangs and laugh and then I think that it took long enough to catch up. I worked with a guy that had a GMC Cyclone. For those that don't know, take the turbo V6 from the GN and drop ii into a shortbed, regular cab Sonoma pickup. He built his for the strip and that thing was nasty. I don't remember quarter mile time, but it was a small number.

Gotta get back to making artificial rain before the real stuff gets here. Y'all have a good one. Maybe I'll have some train news next time.

Willie - you must have posted the same time I did - just saw your post from this morning - some nice photos from your layout.
Chet - nice rail photo. I agree with you on hating to have to make trips into town - you're drive is probably longer than mine since it only takes us about 10 minutes. Some places I don't mind going to, but when my wife wants to his 8 or 10 other stores - - my locomotive steamer boils over :mad:

WILLIE -- (maybe GARRY too) Here is a good one for you from 1996.
Don't see this every day - a SD75M, SD45-2, C30-7.
1531764940575.png

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning then took my parents out to lunch for their 63rd wedding anniversary, so no train room today. I did receive the Tichy Pennsy fencing material today. I calculated earlier that the supports should be 1.1" apart in HO but that will probably look odd. I found out today my parents want to go to OH after we leave VA (whenever that may be). All of their brothers and sisters still living are in the Boardman area (west side of Youngstown). It's about 5-6 hour drive from Warrenton VA. Still no word on SIL's surgery that should of started at 3 pm.

TruckDad- I thought the prices sounded too good, but at least you got good deals on the box cars.

VA Ken- Sorry to hear about your friend and the layout.

Willie- Great layout shots. Isn't it always the case that whenever there is a issue it's always in the hardest place to reach?

Johnny- Great looking building.

Chet- You should just have to fill out W-4R (I believe), but of course that doesn't account for the wait time.

Louis- Hey.

Sherrel- Interesting photo but no Pennsy:(.

I hope everyone has a good night.

WILLIE -- (maybe GARRY too) Here is a good one for you from 1996.
Don't see this every day - a SD75M, SD45-2, C30-7.
View attachment 29271
Interesting that the C30-7 is still in the Kodachrome paint scheme in 1996. I had always read that they repainted all 306 locomotives back to their original blue/yellow warbonnet by 1990. But the SD75M wasn't produced until 1994! However some Kodachromes were sold in that paint scheme and may have been leased back later.

Go into town. Have to stop by the Social Security office and have them stop taking withholding out of the monthly check.
If you haven't already gone to town, this can be done online, or you can download the form and fill it out and mail it in; so says my wife the professional tax person. The form is a W-4V, line 7. You do have to have a "My Social Security" account set up for online activities. Social Security offices around here are madhouses and there are armed sheriff's deputies there all of the time to keep the riff-raff in line, literally. Pick a number and wait in line is hard for many to comprehend. Sorry if I didn't get this information to you in time if you have already gone.

Good afternoon. Survived the mission to town.

Curt - I was more worried about the wait at the SS office. Signing the W-4R took 5 minutes and all I had to wait was 15 minutes. I thought I might need a pacemaker battery after so short a wait. laugh.gif

Managed to get the gardening supplies and also bought a new grill. I hadn't intended to buy, but only look and took the car to town. Wouldn't fit. My son is going to pick it up for me. He has to pass right by Home Depot on the way home and they were going to come out for supper anyway. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Some assembly required.

Louis - Nice to see you visiting us. Long tome, no see. Here's a picture of the Lionel layout at the club in Livingston.

20180714_202636.jpg

Ken D&J
- Thanks for coming up with the date on the Santa Fe photo. I thought it was probably sometime in the mid 90's, but wasn't sure.

Got a few outside chores done and then the sun just came out. Time for a cold one.

Later

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning then took my parents out to lunch for their 63rd wedding anniversary, so no train room today. I did receive the Tichy Pennsy fencing material today. I calculated earlier that the supports should be 1.1" apart in HO but that will probably look odd. I found out today my parents want to go to OH after we leave VA (whenever that may be). All of their brothers and sisters still living are in the Boardman area (west side of Youngstown). It's about 5-6 hour drive from Warrenton VA. Still no word on SIL's surgery that should of started at 3 pm.

TruckDad- I thought the prices sounded too good, but at least you got good deals on the box cars.

VA Ken- Sorry to hear about your friend and the layout.

Willie- Great layout shots. Isn't it always the case that whenever there is a issue it's always in the hardest place to reach?

Johnny- Great looking building.

Chet- You should just have to fill out W-4R (I believe), but of course that doesn't account for the wait time.

Louis- Hey.

Sherrel- Interesting photo but no Pennsy:(.

I hope everyone has a good night.
CURT I am getting way ahead of myself looking for rolling stock. If my track laying skills are any where near my drywall taping skills I will, however, need scores of the $1 cars!
PV Dave

That was Willie who cornered the date of the photo.
Claiming SS can be hazardous. When I became eligible to claim SS as my late wife's survivor I had to go to the SS office to do that. The agent that was taking my claim kept processing it as a claim on my own account. I wanted to wait till I was 70 to do that. It was as if she didn't want to let me file on Wendy's account. I finally had to ask for the office manager to get it done right. The agent seemed pretty agitated that she couldn't force me to file at a lessor amount.

That was Willie who cornered the date of the photo.
Claiming SS can be hazardous. When I became eligible to claim SS as my late wife's survivor I had to go to the SS office to do that. The agent that was taking my claim kept processing it as a claim on my own account. I wanted to wait till I was 70 to do that. It was as if she didn't want to let me file on Wendy's account. I finally had to ask for the office manager to get it done right. The agent seemed pretty agitated that she couldn't force me to file at a lessor amount.
Tell me about it, I've just been through the process of claiming for a small allowance as my wife's carer, at one time apparently a simple matter. After several visits to the appropriate office, many forms and internet applications, it was granted. We do still have a couple of travelling circuses here, next time one's in town, I might apply as a performing hoop jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back