Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
obsolescence Good afternoon. Got some house chores done today and have been dragging hoses around to keep things green. Got up to 89 today.

Louis -
Wipe up that spill. Grin.gif

Toot - You sure got things right with the planned obsolescence. Was talking to the service man when out dis washer crapped out. He said that manufacturers can pretty well tell just how many cycles some appliances will go through before they fail. Of course there are those who have the newest and best and will replace perfectly good items just to have them. My wife and I laugh at an LG commercial advertising a refrigerator where you can knock twice on the door and see what's inside. She happened to be a Home Depot for something else and d=saw that the price was $3,500. I think it's a lot less expensive to use the handle that came with it for free and open the door.

Garry
- Outstanding photos of the Union Station. Keep them coming.

Did get a little time to paint the fuel tanks and work bench for the salvage yard. Now I have to find the bumpers for the trackso the gondola doesn't get pushed into the shop building.

20180713_140937.jpg

Time to go start up the grill.

Later

She happened to be a Home Depot for something else and d=saw that the price was $3,500. I think it's a lot less expensive to use the handle that came with it for free and open the door.
That's a bit like the story attributed to Enzo Ferrari when someone asked why his cars were so expensive. His reply was said to be, "I only sell you the engine, I give you the car for nothing" (Add a thick Italian accent for effect). That could apply to the LG's see through door.

Good Morning All. 77° and clear to start the weekend. Cool spell is over and the forecast is for highs between 103° and 105° for at least a week starting Monday. Looks like I might have to run the A/C's 24/7 for a while. It has been nice with the windows open at night for the last week or so. The heat coupled with the severe lack of rain will increase the grassfire risk somewhat, although the major fields to the east and south of me were recently plowed, and my hayfield to the north and west has been cut to stubble.
Hope that everyone survived Friday the 13th OK.
Nothing further on the bathroom remodel except slow progress. The quartz shower seat and shower door sill have stopped progress there as the stone mason (contractor's cousin) hasn't gotten to them yet. Contractor is switching over to the bathroom floor tile today. Payday was yesterday, I'm not sure that I ever handed someone twenty "Ben Franklins" at once, and this is the second time that I did that with him.
Thanks for the positive comments on the latest gas station pictures, Johnny, Ken, Chet, Garry, Curt.
Out in the train shed, I began tying up some loose ends in the small town business district. Finished installing the pipe safety fence between the main line and alley/parking lot, completed the remaining ballast on the passing siding where it meets the grade crossing, and added interior storefronts and signage to the remaining two businesses in Merchant's Row I that is part of the scene. I also added signs to other businesses that already had interiors. Found some additional minor details for the gas station (going elsewhere on the layout), but I wasn't able to find any era appropriate price signs for it while I was looking in my sign box. Still looking, I'll most likely find some on Google and size and print them out. Closest I have is 95¢ which is appropriate for 1978. I'd like mid-80's price around $1.35. Did some other stuff that I don't remember.

Chet - Nice looking trestle in yesterday's picture. Salvage yard is coming along nicely. Mine probably won't get any TLC until fall/winter 2019 on my list of pending projects
Garry - I agree that there are plenty of details in the gas station already, but I remember them as being a lot more cluttered than that. Specifically I will be adding some oil barrels which I have plenty of, trash barrels out front, I have a floor jack which I may add if it will be visible when on the layout; I already have plenty of details on the layout that cannot be seen unless I take the structures off. I also need a couple more figures and vehicles. A pay phone and a pinup calendar in the car bay would also be appropriate for that time, out of sight from the female customers. I am also considering adding a couple of "junked" gravity feed gas pumps stored out back along with some ground clutter.
Passenger cars and switcher look good. Because of my era, I have zero passenger equipment.
Hello Louis - Short and sweet!:cool:

I have to chuckle when I read everyone's comments about temperatures in the 90's being hot. I do realize that it's relative to what you might be used to and I am not knocking anyone. In this part of the world it isn't hot until mid-100's, but we also don't normally have high humidity in the summer. It's kind of like Chet and Greg chuckling when the rest of us complain about the cold when it's in the low 30's.

Everybody have a great day and weekend.

Willie, we seem to get the full range of temps here. It's been 0 occasionally, but not very often. It's been 115 here, again not often. The most brutal part of the 115 temps is it usually goes hand-in-hand with 90+% humidity, and no breeze. And the 0 temp usually comes with a 40 mph wind out of the North.

Good morning. 75 with 82% humidity. Going up to 89 today.

Willie - you are correct about the temperature being relative. Here in the south it ain't the heat that kills you, it's the humidity. Can't wait to see the "finished" gas station. I'd also like to see a return to the 1978 gas prices, but that'll never happen.

Good morning all.

I agree the humidity is the killer. Really shoots that heat index through the roof. Had some pretty good thunderstorms roll thru last night into this morning, but all that did was make the humidity 96%. Hopefully going to get more track down today, and get somewhere to get my sky color for the backdrop.

Have a great day all!

Willie, we seem to get the full range of temps here. It's been 0 occasionally, but not very often. It's been 115 here, again not often. The most brutal part of the 115 temps is it usually goes hand-in-hand with 90+% humidity, and no breeze. And the 0 temp usually comes with a 40 mph wind out of the North.
That's generally true here when it gets down to 0°. The highest that I have actually recorded here is 113°, but at the same time in my barn with the sheet-metal roof, it was 140°. One of many reasons for abandoning the old train room out there.

Good morning, everybody ...

Curt, Chet, and Willie ... Thanks for commenting on my photos.

Willie ... Speaking of passenger trains, one reason why I model in my era is because I want to model my memories of train travel before Amtrak. .... Santa Fe was sometimes the way for my families member to travel between Chicago are where I grew up and Kansas where I had relatives. Santa Fe is also how we got to California for vacation. I grew up on the Burlington Route, and most of my trains, therefore, are CB&Q.

Chet .... I like your scene in the scrap yard.

Good afternoon. Started off at 58 degrees, but at noon we are at 87. Saving grace is that the humidity is low.

The wife brought home 5 more bags of mulch during her shopping trip to town, but it is too hot to get out there and work. I'll catch that some morning before the temps start rising.

ALC-CSX - I can remember gas in the teens when I was a kid. When I had my new '69 Chevelle I used nothing but Amoco high test at 32.9 a gallon. There were gas wars (I lived in south Florida at the time) and can remember Sunoco 190 going at 15.9. I am happy with my Buick with its 3800 engine which I will drive until the wheels fall off. When I went to Butte the other day, I got 32.7 mpg cruising at 80 mph and going over 2 mountain passes. May be dating myself here.

Willie - Looking forward to see this town come alive. You have been cranking out some outstanding structures. For average gas prices, here's a link to give an idea of what they were. https://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/dailylp/dailylp/dailylp076.shtml
Of course these prices are averages and could varya bit from state to state.

Being that it is a bit warm outside, time to retreat to te train room where it's nice and cool. I can get my equipment ready to head over to Livingston tonight.

Here's a rail picture for today.

2da5ggm1.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Ran down to the LHS this morning and got the paint I needed after a prolonged search because they moved some of the paint to another location. The good side was that I had 2 employees helping me find it. I repainted the parking lot (asphalt) and put details on the station deck. The last 2 things to do is the pipe railing which I should receive in a couple of days and the station signs which will be probably be at least 2 weeks.

Louis- Good to see you stepping into the coffee shop.

Chet- Interesting rail shot. I'm guessing the one side isn't used much.

20180714_130426.jpg

20180714_130539.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet - I don't remember prices that low, but when I was a kid in Florida I remember when gas was hovering right around the buck a gallon range. When I was driving my Nova frequently, I complained about $2/gallon premium yet I also occasionally sprang for a blend of premium and 109 octane race gas. The ol girl loved that mix but my wallet cried filling a 20+ gallon tank. I'd be happy driving a Buick if I could get my hands on the right one....
download.jpeg

As a V8 guy, my willingness to drive this V6 should speak for itself. Lol

Chet - I don't remember prices that low, but when I was a kid in Florida I remember when gas was hovering right around the buck a gallon range. When I was driving my Nova frequently, I complained about $2/gallon premium yet I also occasionally sprang for a blend of premium and 109 octane race gas. The ol girl loved that mix but my wallet cried filling a 20+ gallon tank. I'd be happy driving a Buick if I could get my hands on the right one....
View attachment 29233

As a V8 guy, my willingness to drive this V6 should speak for itself. Lol

I have always loved this car! I wanted one so bad when it came out. Problem was I was a freshman in high school in 87, so it want a remote possibility. Every once in a while I will see one out, and about. How many years did they produce this?

I have always loved this car! I wanted one so bad when it came out. Problem was I was a freshman in high school in 87, so it want a remote possibility. Every once in a while I will see one out, and about. How many years did they produce this?
You'll have to come down here, mate. Might be able to pic one of these up. '77 HX Holden Monaro coupe
1531618994200.png

Although you probably still won't be able to afford one now anyway.

You could also go for a Torana A9X as well
1531619307826.png

A bit smaller. This one sold recently for AU$275,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back