Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 72° and partly cloudy. Chance of thundershowers around noon. Cool weather continues with today's high at 89°, however high humidity is in store. Remodel contractor is due back today, I think that he's ready to start the tile.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I started making fences to separate the railroad ROW from adjacent parking lots/alleys in the small town business district that I am finishing up. Some of the area will get a simple yellow pipe fence, another part will get a graffiti covered wood fence made from Bar Mills "Insta-Fence". I've used this product in a couple of other locations before, notably in the "Jacks Back Yard" junk dealer scene, and to fence off "Wicked Wanda's" from the tracks, both that you might remember from pictures that I posted.

Justin - Thanks for the background regarding the 2-6-6-6's. I know very little about eastern railroads.
Curt - Did I ever mention that I hate soldering? I also have the scars.
Garry - I know that your question was tongue in cheek, but this is the same parental units (at least the female) that were pictured with their twins on my barn roof in my old avatar. She has nested in my barn loft (I leave the doors open at each end) for 5-6 years now. It's not really a nest at all, she just lays the egg(s) on the floor, others just lay them on bare ground.
Chet - These birds don't bother me at all. There are many more that live around here. They're ugly as hell, but they do an excellent job of taking care of dead and diseased carrion that can be abundant out here in the country. You'd be surprised how many "city folk" bring their dead domestic animals out here and just drop them off along the road. Besides the usual stuff, goats seem to be abundant. Roadkill rabbits, snakes, armadillos and skunks round out their diets.
Gas station really looks good with the light in it now. I have mixed feelings regarding lights. I have them in about 25% of my structures, but I only run trains in the day time so they serve no purpose!
Jesse - I cannot accurately answer most of your questions regarding the trucks and couplers since I do not model "N"; but I think that yes is the answer to your first two questions is yes. Regarding a gauge, a single NMRA gauge will allow you to check track gauge, coupler height, wheelsets and numerous clearances in your switches. They're available from many places like Walther's, Micro Mark, Model Train Stuff, Kleins and probably most LHS's. Google "NMRA gauge". "N" scale is usually under $20.
Mike (WI) - Continued prayers and best wishes regarding your nephews recovery.
Oh! I thought that was the local Injuns telling the other tribes there was a paleface up on the hill.
My thoughts exactly.
Ken(D&J) - Nice country that you're traveling through.
Johnny - I have had some spotty showers, but our last significant rain of over a half inch was back in April if I remember correctly.

In keeping with Johnny's suggestion to Terry:
¡Qué tenga un buen día! Todos.
En inglés es: Have a great day everyone.

Good morning. 56 degrees to start off the day with an expected high of 90. Might be a good day to spend in the train room where it's cool.

Beady - The Ford Museum is fantastic. Haven't been there in a few years, but it has to be one of the best transportation museums in the country. Last time we were there we spent two days trying to see everything.

MikeinHubCity - Thanks for the update on your nephew. He really has some extensive injuries. Sure hope he is able to pull through and fully recover. Prayers for him.

Ken D&J - You sure seem to be enjoying your trip. Have fun and be safe.

Toot - Nice photos of the MRL units. I have seen what seems to be quite an increase in traffic over Bozeman Pass in th last few months. Lots of helper activity so I can see why these units were put back into service. Now that I am retired, I should head up there and take some photos.

Justin - Those C&O 2-6-6-6- locomotives were some beasts. I had a model of one I picked up that was beautiful but it wouldn't fit on my 90' turntable. I was trying to think of how I could use it. Perhaps bought from the C&O when they were transitioning from steam to diesel, but someone in the club was interested in it and made an offer I couldn't refuse. Really nice looking steamers.

Train wise, besides putting LED's into some buildings, I have been painting figures and working on some detail items that have been in the clutter on my work bench. Also been running trains and enjoying switching out the rail customers. Spent two and a half hoursw working on ine town alone. It's nice to have the time now.

Here's a rail picture for today.

81.jpg

Later

Morning folks!
99 they say for a high today - was 100.2 yesterday. Fortunately the 100's are tolerable with the low humidity as long as you are not standing out in the direct sun - then you realize that it is 100!
TOOT -- Your really on a roll with the Garry's train ride and the smoke signal comment. Almost spit my coffee this morning?
Willie -- It's simply amazing how the opposite sex finds little mannerisms to pick on. My dad used to say all the time, "Husbands are a sorry lot"!
Chet -- That gas station is just so real looking = Kudos many fold.
Mike -- Continued thoughts and prayers to you and family. So nice that the employer helped out the brother; that guy deserves a real vote of thanks.
Beady -- Nice photos of the museum. I was not aware they had that monster there?
Justin -- No, that loco will not like your layout curves. I remember seeing a brass model - HO and O scale - in a hobby shop in KC back in the late 60's. They were beautiful models. The models looked as massive as your photo!
Curt -- Behave yourself .. watch those "hot" soldering irons!

I wouldn't dream of trying to run a 2-6-6-6 on my layout. However I'd love to have one for display purposes. At roughly $300 for an HO scale one though it's a bit rich for what I can afford.

Afternoon All,

Probably spent about 5 hours in the train room today. I got the lights hooked up and tested OK. I put the diamond style shingles on the roof (had enough left over) and painted it flat black, and I decided to put a wood deck on the concrete base which I am a little less than 50% done.

Chet- Great lighting in a great looking station.

Mike- Continued well wishes for your nephew. His brother has a awesome boss.

Justin- Massive looking loco. I couldn't believe the size of the Big Boy at steamtown a few years back.

Beady- There is a similar issue at the RR museum of PA but not as bad.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Willie - you mention the Bar mills "Insta-Fence." Haven't used it before, but looked it up at MJKlein (out of stock now) and it looks like it's ready-made. Is it? Or is it a kit format?

Good afternoon, 89 degrees. Got the car washed, more hoses set out to try to keep the grass green and then hid out in the basement for a while running trains.

Johnny
- Like Curt mentioned, they are very easy kits. I have a few on my pile of procrastination projects.

20180709_144926.jpg

Curt - Thanks for the comment. Now that I have more time, I hope to get more little projects done. I look at what you have been adding to your layout and it gives me inspiration to do more on mine.

Justin - I got the 2-6-6-6 from someone who get it from an estate sale for $75. Sold it for $125.

Put together a woodland Scenic kit of fuel tanks which will work out really nicely at my salvage yard for fueling the equipment used there. Set them into position where they'll be. Now all I have to do is paint them and add a bumper at the end of the track to the left of the baggage car used for a shop and office. Have tons of ties left over from when I was hand laying track to use for steps to the platform.

20180709_135231.jpg

Afternoon all. Started out in the high 50s this morning, which is odd for this time of year here. Must be than dang global warming again. Fought with the differential filler plug on the wife's Trailblazer for over 2 hours this morning only to leave for work angry that the little SOB is now mostly rounded out as well as stuck fast. So needless to say, I started Monday on bad terms with Mr Murphy, and no shotgun handy to boot. On a more positive note, the USPS says my new track has been delivered so I'm looking forward to seeing what's all in the the box. Stopped at KFC for a 3 piece tender box and discovered someone could not accurately count and gave me 4 tenders instead. Always a plus. Love the Colonel's recipe. Got one last job to knock out today then I can hopefully go run some trains. Looking at the box and knowing what's coming in the mail, but having no time to do anything with it is getting frustrating.

Willie - thanks for the advice. I'll look into one of those. Hopefully soon I can start buying the needed supplies to outfit all of the rolling stock in the new hardware.

Chet - I love the salvage yard scene. That's awesome. Been thinking about something similar with some of the cars I have that are useless to run. Saw a posting for more of those High Speed Reader's Digest specials on eBay the other day. 7 for $60 + $10 shipping. Maybe it's just me, but seems like a rip-off to charge someone the cost of functional rail cars for something that can only be sat in place and looked at. But then again, no one ever said eBay was full of ethical people either.

Terry - could have been worse. They could have asked if they could send the check via the Pony Express. Lol.

Willie - you mention the Bar mills "Insta-Fence." Haven't used it before, but looked it up at MJKlein (out of stock now) and it looks like it's ready-made. Is it? Or is it a kit format?
Kit format. You have to glue the horizontal stringers on back first, then trim off a connecting sprue that spaces the boards, and finally glue the vertical posts on. Paint/stain is up to the modeler.

Good Afternoon Everyone....

Willie and Raincoat2: George Sellios uses this kit and removes some boards and then breaks the bottoms or tops off on others and then paints and weathers the fencing. Real rustic fencing.

I plan on using some around my junk yard.

MikeinHubCity:
Best wishes to your nephew and a speedy recovery. I get on Highway 13( I-39) which is near my Coloma tree farm (small) Is the club's layout ever open on weekends or on during the week? Like to visit it some time.

Tomorrow I hope will be train time....?

That's all for now.

Greg

Good Afternoon Everyone....

Willie and Raincoat2: George Sellios uses this kit and removes some boards and then breaks the bottoms or tops off on others and then paints and weathers the fencing. Real rustic fencing.

I plan on using some around my junk yard.

MikeinHubCity: Best wishes to your nephew and a speedy recovery. I get on Highway 13( I-39) which is near my Coloma tree farm (small) Is the club's layout ever open on weekends or on during the week? Like to visit it some time.

Tomorrow I hope will be train time....?

That's all for now.

Greg
Sometimes there are guys there on the weekend; otherwise, our monthly meetings are held at 7 pm on the 3rd Thursday of each month.

Stopped in Tucumcari, NM for the night. Lots of rain in AZ and on to Albuquerque, NM. About 560 miles for the day, but seeing as I didn't really get rolling till about noon. I had to find another rain suit because my old one was leaking right in the seat. I found a Harley shop in Flagstaff, AZ.
Lots if trains along the BNSF route from Flag through NM so far.

Good morning everyone. 73 now, 93 later, only 10% chance of scattered rain. The green woods around us are starting to turn desert-brown! HELP!!

Curt, Greg, Willie, Chet, anyone else I might have missed - thanks for the insider info on Insta-Fence. I'll be buying some as soon as I can find someone with it in stock.

Since this forum functions as a sort of RR-ANON, I have a confession to make - - a few months ago I finished spiking down the last piece of track that I intend to put on this layout, and I hit a mental wall - - up to that point I had the main goal of putting down track, wiring it up, and running trains on it. With that goal accomplished, I was sort of lost for a while. Took me a while to refocus on scenery, the two towns, roads, parking lots, etc. I've finally got my brain looking forward again. Still it hurts to know putting down track is ov - - - - oooooh, wait a minute - - right over there . . looks like just enough room for a spur . . . . .o_O

My coffee is calling my name!! Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 72° and partly cloudy this morning. Contractor returned for the bathroom remodel without his helper yesterday. Wasn't happy since he was mixing concrete outside and having to carry it in himself for the bottom of the shower enclosure. I spent time with him helping to install a freeze-proof faucet on the back side of the house. The waterline connection was in the wall behind the bathroom sink so it was now readily accessible. Old faucet was soldered on inside the wall and I couldn't replace it without removing the sink, vanity and wall; all of which are out of the way now.
Had the two grandson's and my daughter over for burgers on the grill last night, while they picked up the granddog that I have been keeping while all were on vacation with my wife. FWIW, they stayed in Surfside Beach TX, and they do not recommend it for anyone. To make matters worse, there were ongoing all night karaoke parties in the house across the street from theirs on five of the seven nights.
Spent very little time in the train shed yesterday, since I also made the grocery/beer trek that I didn't make last week. Ended up going to three stores in order to find my wife some ginger, which my regular store was out of. That included a half mile trip inside Sam's Club only to find out that they didn't carry any after an employee told me that they had it and then sent me to the wrong department. I did get to paint 200 scale feet of safety fence that I made the day before. It's bright yellow now. Cut all of the posts for the wooden fence but then life took over.

Beady - I have run into that "no room to take pictures" thing in many museums and exhibitions. It's too bad many times.
Greg - I have seen George's fences, as a matter of fact I have a few pictures of them in my "inspiration" folder in the computer. I haven't had the occasion to break some of the boards yet, as all of my applications so far are for well maintained locations. George does some fantastic work. He can get more detail in a single scene than I have gotten in my entire pike so far.
Ken (D&J) - Bring some rain east. The two separate BNSF lines that I railfan here get a lot of action as well. The Ft Worth to Oklahoma City line sees over 35 trains a day, primarily unit trains of grain, export oil and intermodal (and some mixed); plus two Amtrak (Heartland Flyer) and two run-through KCS trains to the Alliance Intermodal Yard. The other line from Dallas to Sherman TX sees around 25 a day, mostly mixed freight and empties going north. They have an interchange "Y" with KCS about ten miles away where I can watch several interchanges a day in addition to those run-throughs.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. 72 and clear today. Hoping today's is better than yesterday. But as they say, someone always has it worse than you. Found out yesterday that a good friend of mine is dealing with a tough time. Some of his friends found out about, and got proof of, his fiancee cheating on him. They have been together longer than the 6 years that I've been friends with him. Been trying to help him cope with things as I am more familiar than I'd like to be with having your life turned upside down and inside out. I feel for him. Trying to help him the only way I know how. I hit rock bottom once and the only way I found my way out was through faith. So I've been sharing my experiences and some hard learned wisdom with him. I don't know all the details of the situation, or if there is any chance for reconciliation, but I'm trying to help him keep his eyes, heart, and mind open to whatever may come. I'm living proof that no matter how far a situation goes astray from where you think it is, there is always a happy ending if you believe that all bad things happen for a good reason. And no matter how bad things get, with faith and hard work you can get back nearly anything that is lost if you want to.

Now, moving on from the sad update to a positive one. Tracks came in. They look great. Also included was a Rio Grande caboose shell, a Southern gondola sans trucks, and a Florida East Coast box with a custom ride stature. By that I mean it only has one truck. All but the caboose look salvageable and it will probably find it's way mounted on to a flat as a future MOW car of some sort. Definitely going to have some kitbashing in the works for it. Thinking about going freelance to start my layout and working my way into the desired Roads at a later time. This is mainly due to the mismatched equipment I've collected. May build my own small short line to run parallel to the other Roads in the future.

Y'all have a great day and I'll check back around lunch. Save me a special and a large sweet tea. None of that iced crap either. Heap the sugar in it. Lol

Good morning 60 degrees to start off the day. We had some thunderstorms roll through around dinner time dropping the temp from 80 degrees down to 71 in about 20 minutes. Nice sleeping temps.

Johnny - I don't think you can go wrong with the Insta Fence. Signs are also included if you want to add them to the fencing.

Hoping to get the fuel tanks and work bench painted for the salvage yard today. Will probably spend some tine out in the shop also as I have the straight 8 engine in my '54 Pontiac to work on. Had hardened valve seats done on them to deal with the unleaded/ethanol fuel. Some of the older cars I have need special fuel as they do not like todays fuel. I have been able to use sircraft fuel that doe shave lead in it but it is a bit pricey. I try to keep them original as possible. Some also have rubber fuel lines (the way they cane from the factort) and they do not like the rthanol fuel. Also have some people coming over to look at a couple of cars that I have for sale. I don't think I'll be taking on any major work any more so far as restorations go. Time to relax and smell the flowers.

Here's a rail picture for today.

58a3b264d3c27.image.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back