Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. We started off at 54 degrees this morning and now are at 70. Had a really nice evening last night with all of the friends that stopped over. The steaks were outstanding. The race was more like survival of the fittest. Many of the top guns were taken out in wrecks.

Got quite a bit of yard work done this morning and got after some more of the weeds that have come up since upr hedges are cut down. The have really come back strong, but the ground that they were covering is prime territory for the weeds.

Terry - You and old man Murphy seem to have something going. Perhaps a truce. I wouldn't want you to offer hime a comfortable space in a spare room though. If not, I know this guy Vito that I can send you his address. Enjoyed the video. I have seen quite a few post war railroad promo vids, but not that one. They are interesting. Sorry you're having so much trouble trying to sell what you have. Unfortunately, modern equipment is not what I am looking for.

Willie - A hot steel roof is one way to keep the at a distance. Good thing they didn't go to any power lines.

I did get to go down to the train room. That's 2 days in a row. Put the track cleaning car in a train and let it go while I worked on my vocabulary trying t get a light put in this gas station. The wires had to be cut in order to get them through a very small hole that wouldn't show and then splice them back together.

20180708_151442.jpg

Later

Good evening. Since we are once again talking about buying and selling, I celebrated my return to browsing eBay by buying a new to me box car and a covered hopper. I have not even given any thought to any industry that uses them, so it was more of an impulse buy since it was cheap, ending within an hour of finding it, and there was only one bid on it so I was able to snatch it with a last second bid. Grabbed it for $2.25 + $2.99 shipping. The box car was $1.40 + $3.75 shipping. I am now banned from eBay again for another 2 weeks. That's ok though. Track will be in tomorrow, new box car around the 16th, and the hopper will ship after the seller returns on the 13th. There are also supposed to be some old cars thrown in with the track as a bonus, so we'll see. I think my next purchase should be foam to start laying track out on anyway. As happy as I have been to add new motive power and rolling stock to the fleet, I should probably start buying new trucks and couplers so that all of said equipment can actually be used. That being said, I have a couple of questions:

Would Micro Trains trucks be my best bet for smooth and reliable operation?

Can magnetic couplers be used in a body mounted position?

And lastly, where is the best place to get, and the approximate cost of, the necessary gauges to ensure that all of my new track, wheelsets, and couplers meet the appropriate standards?

Now on to other business.

Terry - good luck with the no buying buyers. Hopefully you will have better luck soon.

Chet - the service station looks great.

Here's one that there can't be many of on the racks any more. Has been pulled out of storage to pull the "Winters Special" of private cars that crosses Montana in the summer. Been doing a bit of helperservice to get loosened up after overhaul and repaint and will, by reports go back into storage thereafter. There were wonderings as to whether it might go to MRL's sister railroad in British Columbia (SRY), but apparently there are no prospects interested at the moment. It is to be hoped it does not meet the same fate as SD45's #'s 301 and 311 that got cut up after having been through the same rebuild/repaint process.
1531091913161.png

Another pic of #705 with SD45 #346 in the helper consist. 346 received it's new paint and logo in '15 and is only 1 of 5 '45's still on the roster, also brought out of storage because of a shortage of helper power.
1531092446961.png

Hiya gang!

Back from the beach, but had a great time. Everything was great cept for the 5 hour drive home. (only took 3 to get there).

Terry, I've followed those listings. People are idiots. Might want to add 1st paid, 1st served! Or $$$ talks, bovine excrement walks.

Mike, prayers for your nephew.

Chet ... Wow! ... The gas station looks real.

Toot..... Nice MRL photos ..

Ken D&J ..... Continued best wishes for safe travels.... Thanks much for posting your Verde Valley photo..... You remind of good experiences there including riding on the Verde Canyon Railroad. ( I took the photo below ) ..

]
35736464531_428c7b4d02_b.jpg

If ya look over to the right in the picture of Verde Valley, you can see white smoke. That is from a lightning strike we saw about an hour early.

Owww! My thoughts are with him. Keep us posted. If he does go to Detroit, I'm in Lansing; let me know if we can help (it would be a 90-minute commute for whomever comes with him, but we have a guest room).
Thanks for the offer, Beady. They transferred him to Beaumont in Taylor, so it's only about 1/2 hour from my sister's home in Taylor. His younger brother, who lives in Philly & works at a popular German restaurant was able to fly home for a visit. His boss paid for a plane ticket & told him to stay at least a week. He told him not to worry about his job, it will be there when he returns.

Update on my nephew: he was relocated to a Level 1 trauma center on Friday. They did 2 surgeries on Saturday. The first one to stabilize his lower spine revealed more damage than first thought. They put pins & rods in to stabilize L1-L4, but discovered that the sack that covers the nerves along his spinal cord was shredded. The surgical team did a 2nd procedure that afternoon to put a patch on the sack & are hoping that the patch will help his body will heal that. They also attempted to insert a tube to drain the fluid from around his spinal cord, but that did not go as planned. They are doing surgery on his leg & wrist(that will hopefully fix the numbness in his hand/arm). So, thanks for all the well wishes & prayers. please keep the prayers/positive thoughts & well wishes coming. He's in surgical ICU & has to lay flat on his back for at least 5 days.
Terry - 95% of all book facers are looking for a reason to start a fight. I would simply post a copy of the post with the pertinent information highlighted under their reply and leave it at that. The only tactful way I know to explain it better, most probably won't get anyway as it requires common (HA!) sense.

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

That last part has another twist... Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Last edited:
As some of you may be aware, I'm purging most of my super-large, super-modern motive power, and rolling stock. One of the places I'm offering it is ion that book of faces thing. It has several groups for this, and most of them seem to be pretty good for what they are.
However, I am noticing a new trend, and I'm not exactly sure how to address it without looking like a complete asshat that nobody would buy from.
I list an item for sale, with payment and shipping methods clearly spelled out, along with the very distinct "no holds" capitalized, and highlighted. I then invariably will get somebody asking if it's still available, and they are interested. I offer my Paypal email address for them to pay, then I hear nothing from them. For days. Finally, somebody else comes along, and buys the item. Person #1 that said they were interested gets really pissed, because they said they wanted it first. My response so far has been, you should have crapped or gotten off the pot. my sale states no holds, and just saying you are interested does not mean I will hold it for you.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a more tactful way of telling these people that?

Gomez- can u hold it for me, & I can email you a link for Walmart to Walmart moneygram. ;)

Rail photo: this is from along side a CN double track line that goes to east to Junction City/Stevens Point & northwest thru Spencer, running up to yard in Superior. Mostly double-stack containers, box cars & occasionally auto racks run on this route, as many as 5 trains/day run thru Marshfield.
IMG_1956.JPG

If ya look over to the right in the picture of Verde Valley, you can see white smoke. That is from a lightning strike we saw about an hour early.
Oh! I thought that was the local Injuns telling the other tribes there was a paleface up on the hill.

Eh Monday again. Be my last long work week. So I dug up a photo of one of the C&O 2-6-6-6. Oddly enough I can't find a side shot of one! What I have found seems to be the closest to a side shot I can find.

Attachments

• CLHSH81625.jpg
    CLHSH81625.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 133
Eh Monday again. Be my last long work week. So I dug up a photo of one of the C&O 2-6-6-6. Oddly enough I can't find a side shot of one! What I have found seems to be the closest to a side shot I can find.
Here are a few pics of the one in Detroit (Henry Ford Museum). Unfortunately, the thing is so big and so many other locos are crowded into the same area that it's impossible to get a good shot. (Is there a more efficient way to load multiple pics? I had to load these one at a time, and they aren't in the same order as I loaded them.)
20160728_113318.jpg
20160728_113604.jpg
20160728_113431.jpg
20160728_112648.jpg
20160728_112755.jpg

Good morning everyone. 73 now, 91 later, sun all day. We need rain - - anyone got any for sale?

Nice weekend. On Saturday my wife and I went to Silver Dollar City (think Six Flags in the forest) near Branson, MO and had fun moseying around and riding a couple of the rides. Then out shopping for remodel items. Demo hasn't started yet, but we're ready for it.

Made some progress on the MR-IV structure, and ran trains for a little while. Mostly it was a sit-down-and-relax type weekend. I don't mind those once in a while.

Willie - Sounds like you're as dry as we are here.
Chet - I think I've seen that gas station before - 60 years ago in the town where I grew up :) Nice photo.
Garry - You guys sure like to ride trains :D
Terry - Try putting your sale info in Spanish, or maybe Russian?

That's it for now. Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back