Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a photo I took in Detroit.

I know I'm late for the 4th.

35930540524_bc8bdbc956_b.jpg

Happy Friday to all.
I'll be going up to Flagstaff, AZ today to watch trains on the BNSF mainline. Heck, I just might show up on the virtual railcam that is at the Amtrak station there.

We went thru Flagstaff 3 weeks ago on the way to Alb., and I was surprised to see the area. I had always enjoyed the drive thru Williams to Flagstaff, the smell of the pines in the air, beautiful area. This time, nothing. The pines look as if they are dying, just not as it used to be, and looks more like a tinder box. I Hope they can get some rain soon.
Coming back west, I spotted some old train cars parked at Williams, wish now that I had taken the time to get off the interstate and get some pics.

Late Morning Here!
I just looked at the forecast and turned it off pretty quick! Supposed to be 115 degrees today!:eek: I do not ever remember that temp around here .. I do remember some 108-109 a couple days. Supposed to cool? down to 100 tomorrow - what a relief, lol.:D

Jesse - I did the xxx for the "mud room" - which is also a taboo around here - which reminds me that I need to go wander the shopping malls to view the short shorts and bikini tops in view around here in the summer. :p What I should do is get off my can and take the doggies over to the beach and wander up and down sight seeing. ;)

Willie -- An't it amazing that the "other half" has the ability to overlook almost everything except maybe a dirt clog on the floor.

Justin -- Seeing that pic reminded me of a B&W movie from the 50;s by the Name of "The DI" starring Jack Webb who later played on TV's "dragnet". It had some really funny scenes of the green recruits in basic. Fact is - Going to see if I can find it to watch again?

Time for another cup and look for a cool spot for later on!

Sherrel - I knew what you meant, just pokin' fun. I think that's a great plan. You should give all of us here a nice photographic tour of your fine west coast beaches. Just don't forget to include all of the "scenery". Lol

Happy Friday to all.
I'll be going up to Flagstaff, AZ today to watch trains on the BNSF mainline. Heck, I just might show up on the virtual railcam that is at the Amtrak station there.
Let me know when you get there .. I am looking at the camera as we speak -- maybe I will see you?

Ken, the painted desert, petrified forest, and grand canyon are all in the Flagstaff area.

Good Morning All. 72° and clear here this morning. The cooler temperatures feel good, expected to last a week. I hope that everyone had a good 4th of July. My neighbors were still doing fireworks when I took a bathroom break at 0130 this morning. Thought it was lightning at first. I personally don't do them because I am extremely frugal. My grandog who's staying here for a while, took a break from chasing rabbits this morning and chased a deer to no avail. Absolutely no match. Never worked on July 4th because my whole career was in manufacturing and holidays were sacred to my company.
Well! Here are the long awaited pictures of the completed barn. Pictures are not as good as I would have liked because my wife took my "good" camera on vacation with her.
View attachment 28945
I added the small office section inside on the left.
View attachment 28946
This shot shows a bit of interior fencing that I added on the right. Structure has an interior light that I have tested but not yet hooked up permanently.
I also finished mounting two bicyclists that I'll be using over in the small town business district. I am not happy with the effect that I got using the clear styrene as a base, I'll have to play with that to see if I can achieve better results, perhaps by painting it an asphalt color?
View attachment 28947
View attachment 28948

Chet - See, you have already accomplished so much in retirement!:D
Sherrel - Believe it or not, I can still get brown grocery bags in some businesses around here. I could have used them, but I had this package of shingles for years just waiting to complete this structure. I have another small structure that will get the leftovers as well.
Curt - Have a good visit with Jon, and if Phil shows up, say hello from me.
David - So good to see you post again. Try to not be a stranger.

I wonder where Louis is? He usually stops in on holidays.
Everybody have an awesome day.

Say Willie Thanks, With the hot temps I'm having to water more by hand and then hide from the heat.

Your Barn looks very good and I'll it took quite a lot of patience to apply all those strips of shingles. I've done a few roofs too like that but nothing that long.

The two cyclists, the man and girl, add a nice touch to your city scene.

Stay cool.

Watching those railfan cameras reminds me of ocean crossings ...
Hours and hours of endless boredom interrupted by moments of stark terror!

Not as much action as Ken D&J and I saw the other day!

Afternoon All,

Went up and visited with Jon and Phil and we all had a great time. After getting home I continued the prep work (total of 6 hours) and I think I'm done with that. I wanted to drill a hole through the plaster sheet (foundation) to have working lights and Jon recommended putting a couple of drops of water in the starting hole to soften the plaster-it worked like a charm. Of course I used 5 different drill bits in the operation. I think once the lighting is in and I mount the station on the concrete pad I will do something similar to the freight station deck but this will be much smaller.

I was surprised today when I went to glue the freight doors into the walls. I discovered the opening was too tall for the Tichy doors. I checked the instructions and they looked like the right ones from Tichy. I ended up putting on a trim piece on the bottoms. The regular doors didn't fit great but didn't require any additional work.

Today our oldest grandson turned 13...let the teenage years begin. I told our daughter I hope he acts just like she did.:eek:

CA Dave- I'm like you with the cost of fireworks. Of course working in the WDW area for 8 years and seeing hundreds of shows going to and from calls I could care less about them. The people that live around me seem pretty reasonable about quitting setting them off.

Justin- Nice looking loco. Phil and I thought of you today. Jon was putting sound into a C&O 2-6-6-6 (I think that's right)o_O

Karl- Looks like a fun time.

ACL-CSX- Wooden building siding comes pretty thin and requires inside bracing to prevent warping when you paint it. The more water in the paint (craft paint) the more it will warp.

Johnny- I dislike it also when real life gets in the way of modeling.

Garry- Nice looking loco and it's never too late to be patriotic.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Went up and visited with Jon and Phil and we all had a great time. After getting home I continued the prep work (total of 6 hours) and I think I'm done with that. I wanted to drill a hole through the plaster sheet (foundation) to have working lights and Jon recommended putting a couple of drops of water in the starting hole to soften the plaster-it worked like a charm. Of course I used 5 different drill bits in the operation. I think once the lighting is in and I mount the station on the concrete pad I will do something similar to the freight station deck but this will be much smaller.

I was surprised today when I went to glue the freight doors into the walls. I discovered the opening was too tall for the Tichy doors. I checked the instructions and they looked like the right ones from Tichy. I ended up putting on a trim piece on the bottoms. The regular doors didn't fit great but didn't require any additional work.

Today our oldest grandson turned 13...let the teenage years begin. I told our daughter I hope he acts just like she did.:eek:

CA Dave- I'm like you with the cost of fireworks. Of course working in the WDW area for 8 years and seeing hundreds of shows going to and from calls I could care less about them. The people that live around me seem pretty reasonable about quitting setting them off.

Justin- Nice looking loco. Phil and I thought of you today. Jon was putting sound into a C&O 2-6-6-6 (I think that's right)o_O

Karl- Looks like a fun time.

ACL-CSX- Wooden building siding comes pretty thin and requires inside bracing to prevent warping when you paint it. The more water in the paint (craft paint) the more it will warp.

Johnny- I dislike it also when real life gets in the way of modeling.

Garry- Nice looking loco and it's never too late to be patriotic.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. And I didn't even think about the water base in the paint. That explains a lot.

Afternoon Railnuts. After a stressful morning(nephew fell 30 feet from a zip line course that he was manning at BSA camp last night, many broken bones & low back trauma(but no internal injuries)), I'm looking forward to spending the weekend up in the Northwoods. Sister in-law & her BH are driving up from La Crosse, so it will be a extended family of 7 in a 2 room cabin(w/o running water). I plan on spending most of the weekend getting my line wet in the creek behind the cabin(waterfront property).
Ken- have fun rail fanning on the bike.
Garry- sweet looking patriotic loco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back