Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Independance Day to all.
During one of my train bunch breakfast meeting a couple years ago, I mentioned to one of the guys who had moved here from Great Britain just a few years earlier that his home country had 4th of July too. He was almost indignant and replied in a very thick British accent, "We certainly do not". and I replied, "You sure do. You also have the 3rd and the 5th".

Good to see you're serving it up to the "Poms" as well, mate!

Good afternoon fellow Tie Placers & Spike Drivers.

Happy 4th. of July, here's to Our Freedom from Tyranny! Thanks too all Veterans and all Patriots working to maintain Our Freedoms!

It's currently 84° which is the high today here. The Humidity is 32%.

Hi Flo & Francine, How are ladies doing, it's been awhile since I've stopped by.

How about coffee and a Apple Fritter. Thanks

Yesterday morning around 4:00 Am, after a bathroom call I was alerted to the fact that the water in my incoming pressure line was draining back down toward the well and pressure tank! Omg, what now. Fortunately, a little later it was still comfortable with a nice breeze blowing when I went down to investigate after having done so earlier when I noted the spot I had dug out in the past to make a connection was fairly full of water. Luckily for me the slip in connection had pulled apart. So after a bit of cleaning up some mud on the connector I slipped the two pipes back together and retightened up the constriction clamps hiked 250 ft., back up to the house to flip the circuit breaker on and then back down to the pump house to hold the start lever on the pressure switch up till the pressure built up enough to let it go a then walked back over to the low bank where I made the repair to check things out. All looked good so back up to the house and water the lawn to flush out the water line and water down some new seed I'm trying to get
growing. It fortunately turned out to be much simpler than I anticipated.
Oh, when I lifted the shed roof on the pump & control box enclosure I made for it a few years back, who should be looking at me but a big eyed field mouse. Rather cute.

Sorry if I missed replying to anyone from my prior stopping by.

Take care for now.

Willie - I forgot to mention in my last post that not being able to use the track yet makes no difference. That's like telling a kid not to get excited about Christmas when he starts seeing all the presents pile up under the tree.

For some reason today I was thinking of the tall ship parade in NY harbor during the bicentennial.
Curt: Funny, you should recall that event. I was in Philly that memorable day, Working! I drew the holiday duty, and missed much of the festivities. I did get to see parts of the Bicentennial parade, and caught a glimpse of the fireworks along the Parkway, while waiting for my train home.

I also was somewhat present for the rededication of the Statue of Liberty celebration in NY Harbor. Again, I was Working! I did get over to Liberty State Park to watch some of the parade of ships.

Like Sherrel, I spent many a holiday working.

Most eventful July 4th in my memory, was 1969. It was the day we left reception, and moved over to our BCT Battalion. Never forget meeting Drill Sergeant, (SFC), Willie Jo Sapp. The guy must have stood near 7 ft. tall, in perfectly starched Kaki Uniform, glaring at us. Those eyes peered out at us from under that Smoky Bear Hat. We answered when called and double timed to the waiting cattle truck for out ride to our new home, B-5-2, on Texas Ave, at Fort Dix, NJ.

Boris!

Most eventful July 4th in my memory, was 1969. It was the day we left reception, and moved over to our BCT Battalion. Never forget meeting Drill Sergeant, (SFC), Willie Jo Sapp. The guy must have stood near 7 ft. tall, in perfectly starched Kaki Uniform, glaring at us. Those eyes peered out at us from under that Smoky Bear Hat. We answered when called and double timed to the waiting cattle truck for out ride to our new home, B-5-2, on Texas Ave, at Fort Dix, NJ.

Boris![/QUOTE]

Boris, I spent a 4TH of July at FT Dix as well. It was 1988. I was between my Junior, and Senior year of high school on the delayed enlistment program. I was about 1/2 way through basic at the time. I was done with my junior year on a Thursday, and 36 hours later I boarded a bus to go to MEPS and fly to NJ. I thought I knew everything, and soon had the reality I knew nothing about the real world. Wouldn't trade the experience for the world, as it made me a better student, walked down the halls of my Senior year with head and shoulders high.

Good morning. It's mostly cloudy and 74. I've spent the morning sweeping and mopping the kitchen, dining room, mud room, and office. I'm heading to work in a few minutes to get some rest...

Good morning everyone. 74 and sunny - no rain in sight for several days yet. Maybe next week. Mid 90's today.

Chet - Happy retirement!!
Garry - Like that 4th of July parade photo.

Yesterday my wife and I went hunting for remodeling items - things like vanities and modern showers - talk about sticker shock :eek: Spent the rest of the day relaxing, doing a few things in the train room, etc. Stopped at our favorite antiques/consignment store and spotted a solid wood TV stand at a good price, decided to buy it to replace our "modern" glass and black metal one. Cleaned it up, unhooked everything from the tv and dvd player, put the tv on it's new "home" and then reattached all the wires and speakers - what a difference. Glad we got it. Only celebrating we did was to watch the Macy's 4th of July broadcast. I'm not much for buying fireworks and setting them off - leave that for the younger ones ;)

Got the engineers to release some more water into the lake now that the dam is working. Another release or two and I'll have the lake level to where I want it. Still trying to get the right window dressings for the MR-IV stores - one is a diner, one's a meat market, and one's a clothing store - only one's done right now.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 72° and clear here this morning. The cooler temperatures feel good, expected to last a week. I hope that everyone had a good 4th of July. My neighbors were still doing fireworks when I took a bathroom break at 0130 this morning. Thought it was lightning at first. I personally don't do them because I am extremely frugal. My grandog who's staying here for a while, took a break from chasing rabbits this morning and chased a deer to no avail. Absolutely no match. Never worked on July 4th because my whole career was in manufacturing and holidays were sacred to my company.
Well! Here are the long awaited pictures of the completed barn. Pictures are not as good as I would have liked because my wife took my "good" camera on vacation with her.
07-04-18 001.JPG

I added the small office section inside on the left.
07-04-18 002.JPG

This shot shows a bit of interior fencing that I added on the right. Structure has an interior light that I have tested but not yet hooked up permanently.
I also finished mounting two bicyclists that I'll be using over in the small town business district. I am not happy with the effect that I got using the clear styrene as a base, I'll have to play with that to see if I can achieve better results, perhaps by painting it an asphalt color?
07-04-18 012.JPG

07-04-18 014.JPG

Chet -
Willie - The bus is in the flat car now, it just has to be tied down.
See, you have already accomplished so much in retirement!:D
Sherrel - Believe it or not, I can still get brown grocery bags in some businesses around here. I could have used them, but I had this package of shingles for years just waiting to complete this structure. I have another small structure that will get the leftovers as well.
Curt - Have a good visit with Jon, and if Phil shows up, say hello from me.
David - So good to see you post again. Try to not be a stranger.

I wonder where Louis is? He usually stops in on holidays.
Everybody have an awesome day.

Good morning ...

Curt and Johnny .... Thanks for comments about my parade scene.

Johnny .... Regarding sticker shock. Seems like nothing is reasonably priced anymore. Glad the water is coming along nicely.

Willie .... Your barn looks great.... So do the bicycle riders in town.

David / Truss Rod .... Good to see you. I guess it is better to find a mouse in the pump house than snake.

Have a good day, everybody.

Good morning all. Starting off at 45 degrees with an expected high in the low 80's. Waiting for things to warm up a bit so I can get mowing before it gets too hot.

We finally get the wife's plants put in place yesterday. Put in 10 flowering plants for her, and got mulch put down. We had cut down a tree last year that had gotten too large and the area below it was covered in white rock. Now the entire front of the house is all ties together. The wife is happy, so I am happy.

Ken D&J
- I wish I could sleep in until 0630. Our little doxie has her internal clock that makes her think that she has to eat at 4 AM.

Willie - Really like that barn. Well done. As I mentioned I wanted to get the same kit but didn't have the room for it. The cyclists are a nice addition.

Garry - Like the parade photo.

Got a few things to do before I start mowing, so we'll check in later.

Here's a rail photo. I kept them on my work computer so I will have to sent them to my home computer. Have to pick up a few items left at the office.

Forest_train_track-wallpaper-10843610.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, mopping a mud room? Needed weathering, did it?
Ray, "mud room" is a local term for the room where you remove your outer wear, including your muddy boots. So, the floor, which by the way is covered by 9" asbestos floor tiles, needs to be swept and mopped on occasion. Usually, it gets cleaned when I can't tell what color the floor used to be.

Ray, "mud room" is a local term for the room where you remove your outer wear, including your muddy boots. So, the floor, which by the way is covered by 9" asbestos floor tiles, needs to be swept and mopped on occasion. Usually, it gets cleaned when I can't tell what color the floor used to be.
Don't have "mud rooms" in California - No rain!

So, the floor, which by the way is covered by 9" asbestos floor tiles...
Aaarrrggghhhh! That brings back perfectly horrible memories!

91 at noon, 67%. Actually doesn't feel too bad, sitting under a tree on the front deck, with a nice breeze blowing. I suppose I should be down in the basement, getting it ready for setting up a layout, but I really enjoy my time out here, sitting. Well, winter will be here all to soon, and I really hate the cold. Lived in Michigan, Alaska and Vermont all my life, and I hate the cold.

Good Morning everyone....just sort sunny and humid in Wisconsin this morning.

Just back from a trip to Walther's for detail parts and paint. Always fun to visit Walther's showroom. Funny how fast the billfold gets thinner!

Lunch and then the train room. Ran my trains yesterday counter clockwise instead of the usual clockwise. Backed an ore train through the reverse loop to turn the train and no problems. Those short ore cars find any defect in any track work. Breaking in an Walther's Mainline SW-1500. Sweet runner and it pulls 14 cars on the level with no problems. A little noise when running in reverse, but should be ok after break in. (The 13 of the 14 cars are ore cars that I weathered, installed KD couplers, metal wheel sets and Chooch ore loads covered with Woodland Scenics ore secured with thinned white glue, so the cars are heavier than most ore cars.)

Going to spray paint the rails Grimy Black on the junk yard spur. I ballasted the track with WS fine black cinders. I also used WS fine black cinders for the roadway leading to the junk yard and in the junk yard itself. The black cinders in the junk yard will help bring attention to the various pieces of junk on the rusted wheel and metal piles. I use a lot of brightly painted 55 gallon drums on the layout and their color draws attention to them. Parts from the chassis of a UP SW-1500 will be left rusting in the yard.

A rustic Bar Mills wooden fence will secure parts of the junk yard.

The yard will be illuminated by Woodland Scenics LED lamp poles.

Not much else to report....

Greg

#############################

Last edited:
Hot!!!! The heat is on a level that I am not a very big fan of. Not to mention the air is stale. Not a breeze. So it's stale air high humidity hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back