Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy July all,

This summer seems to be flying by. Going to be hot again today. Already 80 degrees with 90% humidity. Going up in the middle 90s with a predicted afternoon storm.

Have a great day all.

Good Morning! it's already 80° here too, and supposed to go to 97°, WTF, lets make it an even 100°, hasn't done that here for a while.

While we have a chipmunk problem here, I really don't want to see the fox return. We have a developing problem with formerly endangered predatory birds, who are outgrowing the wildlife preserve around the Manasquan Reservoir, as well as some reports of Coyotes. This ain't exactly the country here either.

Hard to believe that 2018 is halfway in the books.

Also Happy Canada Day!

Good Morning All. 77° and partly cloudy. Just doesn’t look like the predicted lower morning temperatures or the rains are going to happen. Heck, I even watered the garden and topped off the pool last night in an attempt to coax it to happen. Guess that I should have washed the car as well. I've been having temperatures at or near 100° for a while now, but unlike some of you other guys with lower "hot" temperatures, the humidity remains rather low. Despite the lack of rain, the yard is still growing, so I spent about an hour yesterday mowing the SE & SW parts of the SFW estate. Had a visit yesterday from the local VFD fire chief, asking if my pool was still available as an emergency water resupply point while waiting for the county tanker truck to respond. With the grassfire season looming, I said yes as I had for over 25 years. They come back later and fill it up if they have to use it. Even though they got a new fire truck this year (donated by a local rancher), it still holds only 500 gallons, i.e. 4000 lbs.
Got the rest of my hayfield mowed yesterday, but it wasn’t my neighbor who finished it. It was his twelve year old grandson earning some summer cash. No doubt to pay the cell phone bill which he had to his ear the entire time he was mowing.
Later on out in the train shed, I added another eight rows of Campbell shingles to the barn; that seems to be my limit of patience with them. I then ran trains for a while. Now that I am nearing the completion of the scenery on the small town business district, phase two; I am trying to decide which project to tackle next. There's nearly three dozen on my list, ranging from small areas of less than three square feet to several large ones of over twenty square feet. Some of the larger ones will be divided into phases to increase the rate of completion satisfaction!

Joe - I don't know how I survived all of those years in the last century without all of the weather warnings. Ours for today include pollen, unhealthy air (particulate from DFW south of here - may not really affect us) and UV. But no heat warning as the THI is non-existent.
Beady - What a great cartoon! Still laughing.
Garry - Thanks for the comment. Foxes are one critter that I don't see around here, not sure why though.

Everybody have an awesome Sunday. The year is half over now.

Good news, fellas. We've successfully made halfway around the sun for the year. More seasonably mid 70's here today. Heading in to work, so I'll check back in this afternoon(To make sure that nobody's causing TOO much trouble!! :D

Good morning gang!
Last day to get stuff done before heading to the beach for the week. Gotta teach GFs son how to run the new mower, pack bags, drop a spare key with my neighbor, etc, etc.
Thanks for the welcome back comments. Its good to be back.
My next communique shoud come with sand between my toes! :cool:

Cannot believe that this year is half gone! I am getting less done each year - maybe I should just quit altogether? (just about there as it is!)

JOE - Congrats on the son's safe return! Is he back in the States for good?

It's been a very pleasant summer so far. An 85 High is expected today with clear sky and low humidity.
Happy July to all!

Cannot believe that this year is half gone! I am getting less done each year - maybe I should just quit altogether? (just about there as it is!)

It's been a very pleasant summer so far. An 85 High is expected today with clear sky and low humidity.
Happy July to all!

Don't give up. I've been out of the loop too long, did you ever decide on a space to use for the new layout?

New month and a new coffee shop. It is hot!!! I mean someone turn the AC on! Heat index of 105°! That's just too freaking hot for me. Almost makes me feel like I'm back in the sandbox again. I reckon I'll just stay inside today.

Good morning gang!
Last day to get stuff done before heading to the beach for the week. Gotta teach GFs son how to run the new mower, pack bags, drop a spare key with my neighbor, etc, etc.
Thanks for the welcome back comments. Its good to be back.
My next communique shoud come with sand between my toes! :cool:

Safe travels, enjoy your trip, we'll try to not call you too many names for being on a Sandy Beach while we're stuck in the heat for no good reason. :p

New month and a new coffee shop. It is hot!!! I mean someone turn the AC on! Heat index of 105°! That's just too freaking hot for me. Almost makes me feel like I'm back in the sandbox again. I reckon I'll just stay inside today.

Good excuse for model railroading! Run some trains and forget about the heat.

Sherrel: It was a nine month rotation, so he's back for a while, at least. This is not nearly as bad as when the Marines were deploying his brother's squadron to Iraq or Afghanistan every six months. BTW, was Atlas Air one of your former employers?

Model railroading, the beach...….Don't both have great scenery?

Mike: The beach has great scenery, the railroad, not so great :rolleyes:

According to Rutgers U, it's 94 and Humid here, according to the thermometer on my porch it's 99 and looks hazy.

Boris

Good afternoon Everyone....hot, humid and thunderstorms this afternoon. Just back from the cabin and another hot weekend. Won $200 on a $10...extra money for model railroading!!! Need weathering supplies.

Tomorrow...layout day. Will work on the Waupaca Industrial area...I have several ideas after thinking about the area for several nights about the scenery and building placement. The area needs some fencing, signs, junk, litter and more trees. Will run a train or two.

Tuesday I have to sharpen the blade on our Lawn Boy walk behind lawn mower....the blade nut should be fun to loosen. Add in an oil change for my truck and the lawn mower.

NMRA membership is a possibility in the near future. I would like to work for an Achievement Award from the NMRA and then on to the Master Modeler Program....? Anyone worked on earning the Achievement Award?

That's all for now...

Greg

################

Last edited:
I have been thinking about the earlier discussion on "scenery". For those of you that remember, I am planning to build a roadhouse bar in my town and then plop a Southern Baptist Church across the street or tracks from it. I have decided that the roadhouse is now going to be a top optional establishment and will need an accompanying sign to advertise. I'm going to explore side emitting fiber optics to build a custom neon sign. I think that may ruffle the pastor's feathers a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back