Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Ran some errands today then I started on the fence project. The stantions bent very easily when trying to thread the wire through the holes. After ruining 3 stantions because the wire was so tight I finally decided to get smart and used smaller gauge phosphor wire and it worked much better. Tichy said to use 0.20 and 0.15 size wire and I used 0.15 and 0.10 gauge instead. I posted a review for the product but don't know if it will be accepted.

SIL had her surgery on her jaw and feeding tube placement and there were no issues. She did not have to go back to ICU. We're waiting on my brother to figure out when she will be coming home. I think she will be going to a rehab/nursing facility first.

Chet- Great layout photo. Yeah, it's shocking that it only had a15 minute wait.

ACL-CSX- I hope you get some good deals.

Johnny- Nice looking layout scene.

Willie- I will get on a ladder if I have to, but I have a pretty bad fear of heights.

Beady- I had a belly laugh from that.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Now that I have had a chance to go through the box, I have decided that I think I will keep it all and build 2 layouts. I just need to find a lot more real estate. Pics of the score to follow as I find time to take them.

So you're insisting that obscenity is OK on this forum and this thread. With the absence of the moderators action, I suppose that's endorsing it.

Good Morning all,

Gorgeous day in Northern Illinois, 60 degrees, going up to mid 70s and low humidity.

Have a great day!

Good morning everyone. 73 and cloudy. Had spotty showers yesterday which left us about a quarter inch of rain. Every drop is welcome!

The remodels continue (plural, because we're doing the master bath and a guest bath at the same time). I usually grad 15 minutes each evening to work in the train room. Last night I cemented the back wall into place on the MR-IV structure - now for the small details such as fire walls, back stairs, chimneys, and eventually signs for each business. Also did some more landscaping. Still have to raise the lake level one more time.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. It's a comfortable 72 this morning. Looks like we'll be creeping back into the 90s again today. Didn't see any rain yesterday and today looks clear. Set up a simple loop last night of the new HO track to test the locomotives. This is what I learned:

1) All 4 locomotives need a lot of TLC. None of them work properly. And about half are missing handrails and other small details. Looks like I'll have my hands full with the restoration process for a while if I keep them.

2) Bachmann HO EZ track is a royal pain to take apart. There is a good amount of traditional track in the box, but for ease (ha!) I set up some of the EZ track for the test. As soon as I make a decision on whether or not I am keeping the HO or selling it off to buy more N, the first thing to go will be the EZ track.

I have several cars that are in great shape and several that are fodder for testing my painting and weathering techniques. There are a couple I'm thinking I may try my hand at detailing just for the sake of detailing. The rail boss authorized the acquisition as a means to finance the existing road. After seeing what I bought, she suggested that I should just do HO since there is so much more of it than the existing N stuff. I think that means I can keep it and make plans for it. And since no mention was made to sell off the N in favor of the HO, I take that as approval to build 2 new layouts. :cool: I still may sell off part of the new stuff, just because the Southern Pacific U33 won't fit into my desired schemes, but I'm already looking at the possibilities that lay ahead. If I only had a bigger house....

Good Morning All. 77° with clear skies. Only reached 104° yesterday, expecting the same today. I read yesterday that people eat more bananas than monkeys; guess that is true since I never ate a monkey! Getting ready to do the grocery/beer trek a day early today, these grandson's eat a lot and I wasn't told of their impending arrival until after I went to the store last week.
Different sort of day in the train shed yesterday. I started with running a few trains for the grandsons when a coupler box came apart and caused a derailment. The freight car was an ancient Con-Cor 50' covered hopper. The coupler box cover was one with a friction pin and it had come apart several times before according to my maintenance records. So off to the workbench we go. I decided to cut off the pin and drill a hole and mount it with a screw. Whoops! I accidentally got the hole off center and made the trek to the parts cabinet (one of those 21 drawer hobbyist types) for some Kadee parts that I have accumulated. Well I decided that it didn't make sense to have that cabinet 35' away from the workbench so I proceeded to move it, which led to moving three other ones as well, and everything that was in the way of where I put them. This was hard work and called for a beer. Since I don't do modeling very well after indulging, I went for another visit to the pool with additional refreshments.

Jesse - Looks like the model RR bug is hitting hard. That's quite a haul. Those engines will add greatly to your troubleshooting and maintenance experience. At least these days you have the Internet to ask fellow modelers questions. When I began, it was sometimes hit or miss as well as trips to the library. "N" or "HO", you'll have to make the call. There are plenty of reasons to go either way. I went HO because I had the room, N wasn't very good when I started out, and I knew that eyesight deteriorates with age, although thankfully that one hasn't hit me too badly yet.
Johnny - I like your landscaping photo.
Chet - Congratulations on the victory over the assembly instructions. Like your layout, it looks too clean, time for weathering.
Beady - I thought that it was quite amusing, but I see that it has been removed this morning. I disagree with the removal. Congratulations to your son on the new job.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning ..

ACL-CSX .... (Evidently, Willie has a better memory than I do because he called you Jesse.) .... Restoring old broken locomotives and cars can be a fun hobby all by itself. It looks like you have some challenging work ahead of you.

Willie .... Sounds like the coupler box problem lead to a lengthy sequence of events.

Iron Belt Ken ..... Good to see you made an appearance. I hope all is well with you.

Ken D&J..... Thanks for asking the question about what is allowed in the forum. There are plenty of hilarious jokes without profanity, and people can tell those kinds of jokes.

Willie - Wait. You mean I may have to choose? Why can I have both? Lol. You adventure in the train shed is every day for my wife. She suffers from mild cases of OCD and ADD, so she starts with getting a drink, then there's no glass so we have to open the dishwasher which is full so let's put those away, now my son needs juice, and he's hungry, oh look we're almost out of that I need to make a shopping list, then the phone rings, I need her to work up a price quote for a job....now we're 3 hours into the day and she's still thirsty because the glass she needed to get some tea is sitting in the cabinet with the rest of the dishes that were clean in the dishwasher.

Garry - It's all good. I used to sign it at the bottom of my posts, but have been too lazy to remember to do it. Lol.

I'm looking forward to tearing into the locos to see what's wrong with them. Next step is to also see what all is in the track box. I may have to make space for another piece of plywood.

On a different note, I came in and set the box on the table. My son (he's 2) climbs into a chair and peers into the box. I know what he's doing before he does it so I tell him hands off. He looks at me, grin from ear to ear, and proceeds to reach into the box and grab a "choo choo" anyway. He was more excited about the new purchase than I was. I feel I have succeeded as a parent now. We looked at all of the cars and then played with the track some.

Also, this may go without saying, but you can probably imagine that I have been barred from any new purchases of all things trains for the near future. Even though the rail boss pointed this listing out AND gave me permission to make an offer on it. I don't think she expected the seller to accept it. Lol. Either way, Christmas came early this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back