Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chet - I have this sneaky suspicion that that didn't used to be a bridge. Lol

Good Morning Everyone....nice day here in Wisconsin.

I didn't mention yesterday that while on a back roads trip near the cabin, we found a salvage yard that was cutting up railroad equipment for scape. Saw a SOO Line box car and a caboose being cut up. No track near by the yard so who knows how they got the cars get there...? Lots of semi- trailers and other equipment doomed for the salvage pile. (My junk yard will have a nose from a UP loco).

Trains this afternoon.

Mark: Nice trip. Any ideas for your layout from the trip?

Ken: I miss our trips on our Gold Wing and covered many states from Wyoming to North Carolina, perhaps 17 states and Canada in all. Actually, I enjoyed riding in the back roads in the rain. Best trip in the rain was in Missouri on our way to Branson on the Daniel Boone trail. A steady rain and no other traffic other than our three bikes.

Chet: Nice photographs of an interesting area.

Back to model railroading. I've breaking in a Walthers SW-1500 and it was making noise in reverse and after several hours of running backwards, the noise is almost gone. I usually break-in a locomotive with the loco pulling a train after a short running alone. Today, another hour of running in reverse and then in forward for awhile.

Work on scenery and the junk yard area. Need to wire the interlocking tower, the single LED is installed on the floor facing up, something different.
Plan on adding ground cover in front of the buildings in the rear of the industrial area, a long reach.

Purchased a Classic Metal Works HO vehicle for the layout.... a "Milwaukee Beer" truck from the 1954 fitting a beer truck for a Wisconsin layout.

1531236046808.png

That's all for now.

Greg

################################

Last edited:
Good morning. 72 and clear today. Hoping today's is better than yesterday. But as they say, someone always has it worse than you. Found out yesterday that a good friend of mine is dealing with a tough time. Some of his friends found out about, and got proof of, his fiancee cheating on him. They have been together longer than the 6 years that I've been friends with him. Been trying to help him cope with things as I am more familiar than I'd like to be with having your life turned upside down and inside out. I feel for him. Trying to help him the only way I know how. I hit rock bottom once and the only way I found my way out was through faith. So I've been sharing my experiences and some hard learned wisdom with him. I don't know all the details of the situation, or if there is any chance for reconciliation, but I'm trying to help him keep his eyes, heart, and mind open to whatever may come. I'm living proof that no matter how far a situation goes astray from where you think it is, there is always a happy ending if you believe that all bad things happen for a good reason. And no matter how bad things get, with faith and hard work you can get back nearly anything that is lost if you want to.

Now, moving on from the sad update to a positive one. Tracks came in. They look great. Also included was a Rio Grande caboose shell, a Southern gondola sans trucks, and a Florida East Coast box with a custom ride stature. By that I mean it only has one truck. All but the caboose look salvageable and it will probably find it's way mounted on to a flat as a future MOW car of some sort. Definitely going to have some kitbashing in the works for it. Thinking about going freelance to start my layout and working my way into the desired Roads at a later time. This is mainly due to the mismatched equipment I've collected. May build my own small short line to run parallel to the other Roads in the future.

Y'all have a great day and I'll check back around lunch. Save me a special and a large sweet tea. None of that iced crap either. Heap the sugar in it. Lol
Once again, it is time for my recipe for genuine Southern Sweet Tea:
In a 16 ounce glass, combine 15 ounces granulated pure cane sugar and 1 ounce fresh-brewed black tea. Sweeten to taste.

Terry - I will vouch for the accuracy of this post. Anything less is uncivilized. Some people actually drink it hot (why?) or even cold with no sugar at all (simply barbaric). Lol. You see, it's kind of a self defense mechanism. The sweeter the tea, the faster the skeeter's heart races after he bites you. The goal is full cardiac arrest and an extinction of the species. But we get too many of them there yankees that bring their dirt water down and it ruins the whole tactic. Lol

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours working on the station kit getting everything finished except for weathering and detail parts which will have to wait until I get back from VA. As for coffee I drink it with cream and sugar but ice tea is without sugar.

Chet- Nice looking junk yard and interesting rail shot.

Johnny- That feeling was the same for me after finishing a major layout project.

20180710_134503.jpg

20180710_134515.jpg

20180710_134532.jpg

20180710_134543.jpg

The building has a huge roof as you can tell. I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening. Got the old Pontiac purring like a kitten. Can't hardly hear it running and could probably set a glass of water on the hood and there wouldn't be a ripple. Just about drowned on the way back to the house. Saw some storm clouds rolling in and took off but they got to me first. Totally soaked. Left my phone in the house and got a meaasge that my permanent denture wouldn't be in until the afternoon so they rescheduled me for Thursday morning at ( AM. Not going ot Butte tomorrow.

Greg - That truck is a 1960 model.

Curt - Nice looking building. The roof is a bit large. The lumber yard must have had a sale on lumber. Your work is excellent. Keep the photos coming.

Terry - That's exactly the way I like my sweet tea. They don't know what it is up here. I'll put a gallon jug out on the back porch in the sun and make it. Otherwise, I am a big fan a Snapple.

Later

Howdy, everybody ..... We have been busy with company, Should be back to normal by tomorrow.

Curt.... The depot looks great.

Ken D&J .... Continued best wishes for safe travels.

Have a nice evening !

Good evening. It's a lovely evening tonight.

Curt: Great job on the station.

Chet: Nice to hear the Pontiac is purring.

I like sun brewed tea......unsweetened.

Boris

Good evening. It's a lovely evening tonight.

Curt: Great job on the station.

Chet: Nice to hear the Pontiac is purring.

I like sun brewed tea......unsweetened.

Boris
My choice of "brewed" is the Spotted Cow.

Howdy, everybody ..... We have been busy with company, Should be back to normal by tomorrow.

Curt.... The depot looks great.

Ken D&J .... Continued best wishes for safe travels.

Have a nice evening !

Garry- define "normal", other than a city in Illinois.

West Memphis, AR for the night. Hot and humid here. Went next door to the Waffle house for a lite meal and I was sweltering. Lady asked if I was ok. Just needed some ice water.
Only 840 miles to home tomorrow.

Good Morning all,

66 degrees going up to the mid 80s today in Northern Illinois today. Doesn’t feel quite as humid as yesterday.

Good Morning All. 74° and partly cloudy, maybe up to 95° later today. Still looking for rain, which according to radar was as close as 1/2 mile away a couple of times yesterday afternoon. Lots of thunder and lightning. Seeing some tile on the shower walls, first real visible signs of reconstruction.
Worked on fencing for the ROW in the train shed yesterday. Got the first 100' (scale) of yellow pipe safety fencing installed, next 100' is built and painted. Still need to make another 45' or so. This is going along the alley. I have also assembled four sections of "Insta-Fence" that borders a parking lot.

Johnny - It's time to start eyeballing the rest of the basement.
Jesse - Too bad about your friend.
Chet - Good luck with the car sales. Soon you'll have the whole shop empty and then "Oh! What a layout space!":cool:
Curt - Nice work. Yes that is a big roof!
Ken (D&J) - 840 miles in a day. Be safe and don't try to overdo it.

Everybody have a great day.

"Hello - - I'm Johnny, and I'm a model railroad addict."

71 looking at 93 today. But, hey - - we had one of those "widely scattered showers" park itself over our house yesterday and drop 1/2 inch of rain! More, please.

Terry - I agree with your recipe for iced tea, except you left out the lemon - "Squeeze a quarter of a lemon into mixture - drink to heart's content."
Willie - It's either the rest of the basement, or build a train barn like you have. The first would involve a fight with the Land Baron as well as knocking holes in walls; the second would mean taking out a loan. I wouldn't look forward to either one :rolleyes:

Just listening to my favorite compilation of hair band power ballads this morning - there are so many good ones from the 80's and 90's. Great music from that era - way better than what they call "music" these days.

My MR-IV structure build is taking way longer than I thought. I've had a bear of a time getting the store window decor just right (interior photos, signs, etc.). Just about got it now, though. Hope to have it done and on the layout this weekend.

Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back