Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's 35, and my weather app says it's snowing. I don't see any snow either in the air or on the ground, so we're still "snow-free" for the season.

Good Morning. It's 35 here as well, and dark, very dark. Estimating 73 for a high with clear, sunny skies. A massive high pressure area off the coast is causing pretty good Santa Anna winds all day yesterday, and I think today as well.

Good Morning All. 39° and cloudy skies here. Another bland cloudy day for us. Good day for the weekly grocery trek. It appears that retirement didn't last long for my wife. Came in yesterday to find her trying on old work clothes. She got a phone call making her an offer that she couldn't refuse from someone two notches above her at H&R Block. Seems that the office needed someone with her experience and someone with her EA (Enrolled Agent) certification from the IRS. In other words, they were losing lucrative complex returns without her. Part of the reason for retirement was a new stupid office manager who actually let her go because she was three hours late getting some kind of paperwork returned to him (misunderstanding on his part); and then failed to make any effort to contact her after making the initial error in judgement.

How about a couple of sausage, egg, cheese and potato breakfast burritos this morning Francine. Some of that good old hot salsa on the side. That should get me fired up this morning.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the additional farm pictures and rehab project; Patrick, Mikey, Chad, Bill, Joe, Bob, Sherrel, Justin, Jerome, Jim, Chet, Garry, Curt, Karl, Johnny, Hughie, Tom.

Started adding ballast to the latest project area out in the train shed yesterday. Not finished yet but I made some progress. I'll get to the turnouts when I finish all of the easy parts.
01-30-20 005.JPG

Meanwhile over on the workbench I continued painting some figures.
01-30-20 006.JPG

Johnny - I didn't miss the question, I missed answering it. I use Evergreen Styrene sidewalk sheets to make the sidewalks. It comes with several different size pre-embossed squares; I mostly use .5" and .25". It is .040" thick, which I think is about 3.5 scale inches.
Bob - When I wish to speak to a human on automated phone systems, I just keep hitting "0" until one finally comes on. Works with most systems although they never state that option. Good that you did finally get it resolved.
Thanks for the comment. Next tour will start in early April when I tackle the next quadrant of the lower level. Meanwhile there are plenty of other projects to keep me occupied.
Beady - Around here, true Spanish (Cuban, Central and South American) speakers consider Mexican Spanish as "dirty Spanish" because of it's slang usage and it's use of "Americanized" words. However they always seem to acclimate themselves to it or risk being ridiculed.
Sherrel - I thought about you while out driving the other day and observing all of those regular gas prices at $2.04 and below. I know that there are places at $1.99 but I just haven't seen them yet.
Curt -
What's the white circular plate on the edge of the layout.
Come on Curt. You should recognize that as an old fashioned phone jack! It is used to plug in my walk-around momentum throttle. There's five of them placed strategically around the layout.
01-30-20 001.JPG

The MRC Tech II next to it in the original photo supplies the power to the base station.
01-30-20 002.JPG

I got this from a member of this forum when he got out of the model railroad hobby, a neighbor of yours, Larry "the old fart".
Joe
- Great story about your wife and son.

Everyone have a great day.

Trains shows are one of those places I like to go alone. I love to wander back and forth looking, comparing prices for the same item on different tables, look for unusual items that might be used on my layout. Wander around again in case I missed something, you never know.

Tex - I agree. I love going to train shows for those same reasons. Also, still being relatively new to the hobby (3 1/2 years now) I listen to conversations and learn stuff I need to know.

Well, good morning everyone. 31 and flurrying out there. Will stop soon. Funny - the local tv weather guy said we have received 4 inches of snow so far this month in Springfield - - less than 1 inch at a time!!

Hi, Flo - - I'll have a couple of eggs over medium, really crisp bacon, hash browns, a short stack of blueberry pancakes, and coffee, lots of it!! I'm HONGRY this morning!!

Tom, Flip, Sherrel, TexHobo, Karl, Garry, Chet, Jim, Wheeler, Chessie, Boris, BurlingtonBob, Robots, Ray, Chad, Curt, and anyone I may have inadvertently missed - - thanks for the likes and comments on the lake/camp scene and the town scene I posted yesterday.
Willie - Thanks for that info on the styrene sheets. That's helpful.
Greg - Great second life for that damaged box car. I have a similar "second life" boxcar as a living quarters for workers near my locomotive barn.

Willie, Mikey, and I think a couple of others asked about my progress on that puzzle my wife gave me for Christmas. So here it is - so far - - -

PuzzleProgress2.jpg

I've been at this puzzle over two weeks now. Of course, I only work on it 10-15 minutes each evening, a little more on weekends. This is a tough one. Fun, though.

Have a good day everyone.

Well, good morning everyone. 31 and flurrying out there. Will stop soon. Funny - the local tv weather guy said we have received 4 inches of snow so far this month in Springfield - - less than 1 inch at a time!!

Hi, Flo - - I'll have a couple of eggs over medium, really crisp bacon, hash browns, a short stack of blueberry pancakes, and coffee, lots of it!! I'm HONGRY this morning!!

Tom, Flip, Sherrel, TexHobo, Karl, Garry, Chet, Jim, Wheeler, Chessie, Boris, BurlingtonBob, Robots, Ray, Chad, Curt, and anyone I may have inadvertently missed - - thanks for the likes and comments on the lake/camp scene and the town scene I posted yesterday.
Greg - Great second life for that damaged box car. I have a similar "second life" boxcar as a living quarters for workers near my locomotive barn.

Willie, Mikey, and I think a couple of others asked about my progress on that puzzle my wife gave me for Christmas. So here it is - so far - - -

View attachment 43735

I've been at this puzzle over two weeks now. Of course, I only work on it 10-15 minutes each evening, a little more on weekends. This is a tough one. Fun, though.

Johnny, as long as it doesn’t take 2-4 years to complete the puzzle, like it says on the box, you’re doing good!

Howdy everyone!

Thanks to all who liked my stuff :)

FLO - how about 3 eggs over medium, a double order of bacon, home fries, wheat toast & coffee

Curt - the unusual track geometry - I've driven over similar tracks many times. It's best to crossover at near right
angles to the track, as it would slice the tires. A few times, I've seen truck and train accidents.

Dave - my layout plans includes a storage box car in the MOW yard, very similar to your photos. Great
photography!

Toot - I really like the MRL GP's!

Johnny - I never get tired of viewing photos of Pine Valley Main St!
When you complete your puzzle - are you planning to take it apart or make a picture out of it? Really like the RR
theme.

Willie - Great farm/barn photos. It brings back memories of my earlier years. Really like all of the overpass supports!
I enjoyed the inner workings of your train control photos!

Greg -I like the Soo storage box car. I had one on my first layout in the MOW yard, along with a caboose office,
Both had the trucks and couplers removed and were sitting on timbers.

Justin - like your photos. The Jeep trencher is interesting - I've seen one like that before, but can't remember where
:rolleyes::)

Garry - really like the Reggie's Auto Parts scene!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier this morning, I let my dog Maxx out and followed him on the deck. The sun was very welcome, but it
was crunchy cold at 15°. He hurried and we went inside, where I plan on staying until my wife's doctor
appointment this afternoon. I'm not thrilled about going. We spent four hours at another appointment yesterday.
But afterwards, we plan on an early dinner at the steak house :cool:

I've been slowly, but steadily working on Hagerty's Market and Roxy's Diner structures. Both are constructed and
I'm fabricating the smaller details and accessories, which takes me longer than the build. I just keep working at it
until I make a mistake, then will take a break and run the trains or sign on here.
As of yet, neither structure is photo worthy.
So here's a couple of unrelated layout photos . . .

I wish everyone a great day!
Jim

maybe a GP-4 :rolleyes:;)
e7oB6s8.jpg

Palmers MN 2010
K2cSdsj.jpg

When it comes to jigsaw puzzles, any progress by me is amazing. My wife has the patience and skill to put them together in relatively short time.
Keep plugging away at it.
Garry- nice series of pictures on an interesting industry. It flows very well.

Garry: Thanks for sharing the other photos of your junk yards. That's a nice touch having the crane lifting some scrap iron pieces. What method(s) to you use for the rust effects on the buildings and vehicles?

Thanks again.

Greg

View attachment 43735

To hell with the puzzle, I want to see how you've arranged the remaining pieces

Mike and Greg ... Thanks for commenting on Reggie’s Junk Yard.

Greg ... I used mostly AIM weathering powders on the junk cars and trucks.

Johnny . .. You met Reggie who I named the junk yard after. He was with us on the Branson train ride. I’ll see if there is interest in the Arkansas train.

Boris ... I would like seeing the picture of the GP10’s.

Good Afternoon Everyone....still overcast here in Wisconsin.

Not much of a railroad day since we'll going to do some shopping and then pizza.

Max:
That's a cool little GP-4 locomotive. How many cars can it pull up a 3% grade?

Later...

Greg

Good afternoon gang!

Flo, can I get a Diet Dew with lotsa ice??

Willie, I remember Larry the old fart!

Jim, I like that GP4

Garry, Nice pics! I be a sucker for those CB&Q F units!

So Ford Motor Company has gone Hollywood with the "Ford vs. Ferrari" movie. Not to be outdone, GM is working on their own cinema project, Total Recall! :D:rolleyes:o_O;):D

Afternoon All,

Pretty frustrating day. I had a light switch go bad last night so I figured to change that one and one other (both on stairs) before starting on the fans and I just couldn't get it the new ones to work. They worked intermittently and I was getting really frustrated and finally I realized I was using single pole but I needed 2 double pole switches. That wasted about 2 hours. Then I changed out the 3 switches in the bathroom.

Garry- Nice scenes. The junk yard is top notch.

Joe- Nice Amtrack shot.

Willie- I thought that's what it was but the ones I have (DCC) have electronics on the back side.

Johnny- Interesting puzzle.

Jim- Interesting photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back