Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 42 and cloudy. We'll hit 50 today and again tomorrow. More wintry weather this Friday and Saturday. A winter roller coaster ride!! Say, Flo, how about a ham omelette, sausage, and a cup of coffee? Thanks.

BurlingtonBob, Sherrel, Phil, Patrick, Chad, Tom, Justin, Wheeler, Chet, Willie, Beady, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my post yesterday.
Everyone - Thanks for the votes about where to put my baseball boys. The grassy area wins. Growing up out on Long Island, there was an empty lot a couple of blocks from our house, and we neighborhood kids played baseball and football there many times over the years. Don't know how many times I got bruised there. Touch football is a contact sport, the way we played it!! :D
Curt - A sad sight. We'll hope things get turned around soon.
Willie - Really nice scene at the Ironworks.

I'll be working on setting up the baseball scene this week. Will post when it's ready.

AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION TIME:
Now, how about a vote on the placement of the wiener wagon?
It could go on a street corner in the town, or in the park by the lake. There is also a small park next to the train station - I'd have to remove some trees to make room for the mini-scene, but it would fit. Those are the three locations up for vote. Unless you have some other suggestion?

Have a good day everyone.

82493920_10157516968355073_6667111333109956608_o.jpg

AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION TIME:
Now, how about a vote on the placement of the wiener wagon?
It could go on a street corner in the town, or in the park by the lake. There is also a small park next to the train station - I'd have to remove some trees to make room for the mini-scene, but it would fit. Those are the three locations up for vote. Unless you have some other suggestion?

I vote for a street corner. It seems your town is a focal point and that would add even more interest. But, the same could be said for the other locations, too!

Morning all,

Busy day here in Doo-Dah. Heavy fog this morning, but well into the mid-40's overnight. Looks be be finally clearing.

Hopefully get back a little into the trains tonight as I have to finish rebuilding my trackage. I think they'll run better without the rise and curve at the same time, especially after reading the post about grades and curves. I guess I hadn't thought the entire layout through, and I probably still haven't.
The wife asked me how much longer before it is complete......You probably know where that conversation went. lol

Howdy everyone!

Thanks to all who liked my stuff!

Flo - just give me a bowl of chili and a iced tea. Bring the hot sauce.

Justin - great tipple photos, especially the last one!

Willie - thanks for the comment. I'll be waiting to see how you accessorize the auto parts.

Chet - thanks for the comment! That's an interesting ore car mishap. The use of real ore makes it cool! :cool:
I use real ore balls (pellets) as weight in my open hoppers. When building the kits, I leave the steel sheet out
and use prototype ore, coal and coke as weight.

Patrick - Too bad about putting the layout on hold, because of the carpal tunnel. I had cp surgery done in both
hands in the early 90's and are near critical, again. I want to postpone the surgeries until later this year, as I
want to accomplish a lot more on the layout. ;):)

Curt - thanks for the comment. The trash photo - I don't see it as such, but rather all the work you put into it.
A better layout is forth-coming.

Bob - good to hear you're getting serious about your layout. Great idea about the 9x2 and inserting it in your
larger future layout.

Willie - the Atlas Steel Works - an oldie, but goodie! Great that Northlanz was saved.

Johnny - My vote for the wiener wagon to be on the street corner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I finished the highway bridge abutments. So all 4 of the bridges across the creek are installed.
I fabbed some accessories for the Nick's Garage addition, which includes 4 bollard posts, 2 dusk to dawn lights (one each end) and door knobs. I still have to figure what to make the gutters out of and how to make them. Then a few more pieces for the front garage and that should finish the structure.

Next will be back to the West Penn Hardware & Oil Well Supply to construct the warehouse.

SVF3Zun.jpg

and viewing from the other end
ohMAHSX.jpg

tKX0diM.jpg

Everyone have a great day!
Jim

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Spent about 5 hours boxing up things and cleaning. At that point my back decided we were done:rolleyes:. Tomorrow more of the same.:(

Willie- Nice looking buildings. I like the figures on the roof and park scene. It seems the story has a happy ending.

Bob- Interesting story that would never happen these days.

Johnny- My vote is for the train station so waiting or exiting passengers can grab a quick meal.

Patrick- I feel your pain with the wife.

Jim- The river/ravine is going to be great when finished. Is that a paper building.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hey, Francine, I finally got here -- Have Mel make me a good ham sandwich on sourdough toast with lettuce and tomato, oh yeah - put some of that MayoDijon spread on the bread.
Weather is 59 degrees with an expected high today of 62 and mostly sunny.
My mechanic just called that the truck is ready; said he changed the oil, smogged it, and gave it a good looking over. The Spousal Unit has a doctor appointment in Corona tomorrow morning so she will drop me off at the shop to bring it home.

JIM - Nice work - really like the garage!

Curt -- You mentioned that it is a loft? The floor does not show any stress to me?
Have you had time to work on any plans?

Johnny - The street corner gets my vote; maybe you need to get another?

James - I like that "Green" train! Go Pack!

Willie - Like the details for the iron works. If you painted the figures you did a super job!

BBOB/ GREG - good luck with the airbrush - looking forward to seeing some results.
I'm very slow on my posts .. By the time I read what everyone's doing, I forget what I am going to post?

Patrik - Aren't you done yet? LOL, lol ,lol ....

Had a bit of a scare last night (Monday). Had a scheduled thyroid scan on Friday; Monday afternoon, too late to call back, I recieved a message that the doctor would like to see me, call back to schedule an appointment for the next day. In my experience, they only do that when they find something. Trying not to panic, I wait until Tuesday (today) this morning and call as soon as the office opens. Turns out, they had a cancellation and just wanted to give me first refusal; it was to be just a routine follow-up to the ultrasound. As it turned out I couldn't take it 'cause we had to go to Detroit and had to settle for a visit in early March.

Jim- The river/ravine is going to be great when finished. Is that a paper building
Curt - Thanks! I scratch built it from a cardboard cereal box. The yellow bollard posts are styrene sprue, the dusk to dawn is a piece of 3/16" wood dowel rod, the windows are clear cellophane and the door knob is a #19 brad head.
This is a drive-thru bay, so the other end is the same.

JIM - Nice work - really like the garage!
Sherrel - thanks for the comment!

Finished my Rix grain bin. One thing they don't include is a door on the roof, so I made one out of an alignment tab for one of the rings. I made it a scale 2x3 feet. It looks a little rough at this magnification, but it really doesn't look too bad at three feet.:) I've got a Blair Line elevator and barn that I built about three years ago, along with a GHQ tractor and wagon I built at about the same time. They're not up to the standards displayed by others, but they're a start!

IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG

The last two pictures are what I have started for my switching layout. It's 2x9 feet and is mounted on a base with lockable castors. It sits on two old file cabinets and has a piano hinge on the backside so it can be raised from the front for access to the bottom for wiring, etc.. When the time comes to move, this can be disassembled and hauled away. Depending if it turns out well enough to want to keep!

Johnny- My vote is for the train station, as passengers or rail fans can get a quick snack.

I have been trying to get pictures of my flat cars and loads on my shelves. I grabbed my camera and went downstairs last night and took some pictures. Tried to transfer them to the computer and got nothing. Realized the camera battery was dead. Recharged the battery this morning while I went to the dentist. Returned and was able to take more pictures, I need my SD card adapter to transfer the pictures to the computer, so I start a 4 hour search for the safe place I put the adapter. Found it on the train layout near where I took the pictures.
Here are two edited pics of several flatcars and various loads.

Attachments

• IMG_0001a.JPG
    IMG_0001a.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0002a.JPG
    IMG_0002a.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 145
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back