Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers, and a belated Happy New Year wish to all. 2019 was a Year of Trial for me, I'm hoping this one will turn out better. Lots of great photos being shared here guys, keep 'em coming!

I have to return to work tomorrow [not retired yet] and want to get to bed early so I need to keep this short. Haven't had much time to post on here recently because I've been on a marathon race to get all the surface area on the far side of the main line finished before my Christmas vacation ended, I think I just barely made it. Here are photos of the most recent work:

SummitCementFinished01.jpg

SummitCementFinished03.jpg

OOOOPs...! I see that the top platform on my silos got knocked out of position when I bumped into the benchwork earlier!:mad: Now I'll have to fix that and re-shoot the second photo before I post it on my other thread. But that will have to wait until this weekend, I have too much other stuff on my agenda the next two days. Ok, I lied...my OCD got the best of me and I dashed out to the trainroom, repositioned the top platform, and re-shot the image - didn't take as long as I had feared. Not quite as sharply focused as the original, but at this point I don't care...

Goodnite all...

Attachments

• SummitCementFinished02.jpg
    SummitCementFinished02.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Terry: Sorry to hear that...Hope for a good outcome.

Ken: Looks good. It won't take much to reposition the platform.

Between travel, Physical Therapy, and general Holiday related activity, I have been scarce in these parts. Today, we drove over to Belmar, and took a walk on the boardwalk. We actually walked out on the beach to look for shells, and then walked the board walk, from 10th ave to 6th Ave and back, a distance of about 0.70 mile. Not much, considering we used to walk from the Fishing Pier to the Spring Lake gazebo and back, which is about 4.32 mi.
Considering how poorly I did last year, this is a start. The knees held up well.

I have also been working on the layout. I have removed about 8' of track, in order to paint the pink foam a more appropriate muddy brown/green slime color, and have to realign the PRR South Branch, to facilitate several industrial sidings. At the same time, I'm going to run my buss wires and permanently fasten the track down.

Hope everyone has a good 2020.

Boris

The 3/4 dome is now stripped, and I re-soldered all four corners for the coupler box mounts. Round two coming up. I think it was the decal setting solution. I had a hard time getting the Champ striping to lay down and used three different setting solutions. Microscale first, then Champ Decal set, and finally Walthers Solvaset. I think they worked their way under the paint and lifted it once the heat was applied. Oh well, what's twelve or so hours of work anyway? :rolleyes:

Good Morning All. Looks like 50° and clear skies this morning. Upper 50's to mid 60's on tap for the next ten days.
Oh my Terry. Prayers and best wishes for recovery immediately.

Scrambled eggs and sausage over here this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the small house and the big hunk of prime rib; Bob, Bill, Jesse, Phil, Jerome, Rick, Chet, Sherrel, Justin, Tom, Jim, Ken, Karl.

Out in the train shed, the engineers had to work on New Year's Day. Finished up that switching run that I started the other day and did some more running, both main line running and switching. Almost finished painting the detail parts for the Majestic Hardware store, so I'll be revisiting that structure this weekend. Looked around the layout and picked out a few small scenes that were started but never finished, that I am going to work on next. They mainly just need figures, trees/vegetation and vehicles to complete them.
Here are the first two.
You may remember this one from last year, a small farmhouse with the family graveyard out behind the shed.
01-02-20 003.JPG

And one from last spring, a trailer with the chicken yard out back.
12-29-19 007.JPG

Jesse - Good luck moving forward on the business and house plans. Come by and visit; you don't have to be modeling for that. Dioramas are a good way to keep your modeling skills honed.
Ken - Really nice work on that scene.
Justin - That price even scares me!

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone!

Thanks to everyone who liked my stuff!

Flo - I'll have an order of french toast, ham and coffee.

Willie - that prime rib looks very inviting and I can say the same for the flowers!
I like the farm house and trailer photos!

Bob - if I may suggest - practice with the airbrush on paper. Do lines, circles, figure 8's, etc. until
you feel confident enough to do cars. Like Tom said, then practice on old, cheap
rolling stock. Once you get the hang of it - you will enjoy it!

Justin - I like the mug! The dirty wheel set - not so much! :) With caboose prices like that, I hope it's not a trend.

Chet - I had a leg clot a few years back and know what your going through. Hope it clears up soon.
Great club photos!

Jesse - I hope all of your plans work out for you.

Alan - the RPO looks real! ***** Too bad about the dome lounge.

Ken - the cement co. is looking real good! I really like those kind of structures!

Terry - I wish the best for your wife and hope she comes home soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday was the last stop on my Holiday Visitation Tour :rolleyes::) I like sauerkraut and had more
than my fill the last couple of days. Honestly, I don't want to eat or for that matter, even smell
sauerkraut for months to come! I'm glad that's all over and done with ;):)
On the way, I wasn't in a big hurry, so I set the cruise at the speed limit. Everyone was passing
and some at a high rate of speed. A few miles down the road, our State Police was out in
full force. There were 5 cruisers, 2 of them with "customers". I just kind of smiled while driving past.
My wife worked for the State Police some years back and said "with the holiday, those guys are
making triple time"! So I didn't feel too bad for them, as they had to work the holiday. I replied "and
they're probably exchanging holiday cookies!" ;):)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My MRR News:
Last evening, while doing some rewiring in the control panel, I ran a 10 car coal drag on my main. After
a couple of laps, I heard a crash. I reached over and hit the power switch. On the opposite side, was a
2 hopper derailment. They were on their sides with one teetering on the edge. Whew - I was happy none
hit the floor! Upon closer inspection, the trip pin on the lead car caught a turnout. I checked it with the
height gauge and it was too low. After adjustment, it was good to go. Hearing a crash makes me cringe
and as all of you know, a quick second one can be outright dreadful. :eek::(

I'll finish the control panel rewiring and start assembling some buildings for Main Street. My new section
is void of anything that looks like a layout, other than track, so I'm anxious to start this phase of construction!

Have a good day, everyone!
Jim

0Rdx2DJ.jpg

x67wOEL.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 42 and partly cloudy. Should be nice until tomorrow evening, when rain and possibly a few snowflakes are coming. I grew up in New York, and my mother loved winters and lots of snow - if it snowed and we didn't get at least a foot, she would call it "a four-flaker."

Flo, if you still have any eggs and bacon left (after reading all the others' orders), I'll have two eggs scrambled, some really crisp bacon, a short stack of pancakes, and a big cup of coffee - just leave the pot right here on the table.

Willie, Jim, Flip, Tom, Sherrel, Garry, BurlingtonBob, Wheeler, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my Tuesday post.
Terry - Prayers for your wife - keep us posted.
Beady - Glad your wife is on the mend.
Toot - Those wildfires in Australia show up in TV reports here in the US - I think one report mentioned 10 million acres burned already?!?! Numerous deaths, etc. Hope they get this under control soon.

Had the day off of work yesterday. My wife took off early in the morning to meet our daughter and shop the sales at the mall. I stayed home and worked in the garage, cleaning and rearranging. Took the tree down and put it all away for another year. Outdoor decorations came down, too. Probably the earliest I've ever put away the Christmas decor - I usually like to leave it up well into January.

No new photos to post today. I'm naming a few more of the business establishments in the towns, using current family names and friends I knew growing up. Takes a while to get the store fronts and windows right and then put up signs.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning everyone!
FLO, just a quick large coffee to go this morning. Too much to do, but should slow down after today!
The local Son in law is a hugh Georgia fan, but I fell asleep before the game ended last night!

TERRY - Serious prayers for Marie this morning... I'm very sorry to hear about that.

JIM - What massive scenes you post with your pictures. Neat stories too!

IBKEN -- Like the work I am seeing - the tire "trails" look very realistic.

I'll try and check in later?

Good Morning Everyone...Sunny and mild for this time of year in Wisconsin.

Rough Badger loss yesterday. Wisconsin gave the game away with the turnovers and that one call of offensive pass interference was questionable and who knows what effect it had on the out come of the game.

Just on the computer this morning and then down to the layout for a few hours after lunch. Just going to run some trains and then who know what project I'll start or finish. Looking for a set of caboose power pick up trucks, a roof strobe and lighting kit that I purchased less than a month ago and now I can't find them...!

Espreefan: Nice work on the passenger cars. I really like that color scheme! Too bad about that decal solution ruining the paint job. Glad to hear about the number of youths who are active at NAPM. We really need the next generation of model railroaders.

Not much on the railroad scene to report on.

Greg

########################

DM&IR Caboose.jpg
A custom painted DM&IR caboose that I found for only $15.00 at a local hobby shop.-Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back