Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is also 15 and clear as a bell here in southeast Baltimore, Graceland Park to be exact.

I have to revise my thinking. I use to say it was chilly until the temperatures reach single digits. Now I will say it is cold when the temperatures are below 20! Another sign of getting old I suppose.

Good morning gang,

10° this morning and clear, supposed to get up to 30° today (oh boy, heat wave!) Made it to work today, save for the grace of God and Mucinex.

Terri, I'm just shaking my head over that video. Sometimes I thing air bags, anti-lock brakes and crumple zones are interfering with Darwinism.o_O:rolleyes:

Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.
I've had my last rites 3 times. It's been almost 15 years since they said I would not make it through the night and almost 10 years since they offered me hospice care.

I am very happy to grow old :)

1548163530069.png

Good morning everyone. 38 and cloudy out my window. Time for coffee and a cheese danish, please, Flo. Just leave the pot here.

The winter storm came through here Friday into Saturday. Mostly rain which turned to ice by Saturday morning, along with a dusting of snow. The ice kept me in - the mail lady's truck went into the ditch across the street from our house Saturday, so I was wise to stay in. Sunday afternoon it warmed to the upper 30s and melted the ice and dried out the streets, so travel is back to normal. Hope any of you who were in the path of that storm made it through okay, especially you guys in the northeast.

Yesterday my daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter came over and brought barbecue chicken dinner with all the sides. They feel sorry for poor old dad trying to survive in the kitchen, I guess. This is the granddaughter who loves the trains, so after dinner we all went down to the train room and I ran trains for quite a while. Granddaughter loves to watch the train come out of the tunnel I recently built.

My wife is doing well there at the CTCA hospital. Had her first radiation treatment yesterday - too early for her to feel much of the effects, but they say she eventually will feel fatigued.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. A mild 57° and cloudy, quite windy though, out of the SE at 15-18 mph. Projected high today of 62° before the wind shifts from the NW at an equally ferocious rate, sometime after sunset.
Out in the train shed yesterday, things were varied. Several projects going on at once. Applied some more paint to the City Classics service station, and glued together the walls of the DPM structure. Painted a few figures on the side. Looked in vain for the freight car that may have lost it's brake air reservoir that I found on the layout the other day, and had to replace a couple of light bulbs in the overhead fluorescent fixtures. I also went back and added a bit more field grass along the ROW that I scenicked last month. Scenicked - that's a word I learned from Johnny!

Chet - You have posted before that several members of your family have been on that Keto diet for three years now. Does it work? The more that I read about it, it seems that it is more of a lifestyle than a diet.
Joe - My weight also fluctuates 6-8 pounds in a week. A lot of my variance is based on how much and what I eat, exercise doesn't seem to have any effect. I'll drop 8 pounds and then go out to eat at my local Italian restaurant and gain most back (leftovers!) within a few days. I can lose but just can't keep it off.:mad:
Karl - I like all of the billboards.
Beady - Great story.
Louis - Good news about Angela.
I have to revise my thinking. I use to say it was chilly until the temperatures reach single digits. Now I will say it is cold when the temperatures are below 20! Another sign of getting old I suppose.
Maybe you're just getting wiser! Everybody's temperature reports this morning make me feel cold. Cold doesn't necessarily bother me as much as biting wind. Out here, there is nothing blocking the wind from Montana (or Minnesota) all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. I also dislike snow/ice.

Lots of postings lately regarding stores/internet buying and credit cards. I am one that likes to have merchandise in hand to examine it and take it home when I pay for it. Especially train stuff. I am fortunate to have five quality dedicated model railroad stores within driving distance in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I did purchase some ScaleTrains locos online and I am pleased with them, but otherwise 99% of my layout came from brick and mortar stores. I know that this isn't the case (hobby shops) in certain other locales.
Store credit cards usually have insanely high interest rates from my observation, so if you don't pay them off immediately then there is no 5% instant-off savings. They exist for the benefit of the retailer mainly. I just use Amex for everything and pay it off every month. No interest and there is some kind of cash-back at the end of the year. That's free money for me since I don't pay any interest all year long.

Speaking of Johnny, I pray that all is going well for his wife and all of the family also. Well, look at that. As I was typing, he reported in. Thanks for the update.
Also in my prayers is Garry's MIL. Hoping that all is going fine there as well.

Everybody have an awesome day and stay warm.

Good morning. Right now, it's 13° and sunny.

Louis and Karl: That motor and it's experimental companion, were too little, too late. By the time they showed up, the decision had been made to pull down the wire. When the USRA made the decision to give the NEC to Amtrak, the die was cast. Nice shot of the Dinner Train, Karl.

I buy shoes from Bezos other enterprise, Zappos. Excellent service. Mostly New Balance walking shoes. I draw the line at clothes though. I'm difficult to fit, and like to try stuff on in the store, rather than running back and forth to return stuff. Not everything fits the current business model.

Tilghman Street.jpg

This portion of Tilghman Street has been paved and the sidewalk on one side of the street is in place. I still haven't found the appropriate color for the pavers. Today's project is the other side of the street. Then I tackle the four track road crossing...
Most importantly, I'm actually working on the layout again.

Boris

Good morning. 21 degrees with clear skies. I misjudged how much snow we got yesterday, it was closer to nine inches. Took a while to get the driveway cleared as it was a wet heavier snow. Went to let the dogs out last night and it started snowing lightly again. Left another three inches.

thumbnail_20190121_185217.jpg More snow is in to forecast over the next few days. I'll plow again today and see what happens.

Willie - The Keto diet does work. My son who is a big guy standing at six foot six was getting close to 300 pounds. He is now down to around 220 now. When they first started the diet it was a bit difficult, but with doing some research, my wife found some outstanding sites that had many alternative dishes. She also found a company that makes no carb bread and pasta. Many of the meals she makes you can't tell the difference from ordinary meals. I do not participate. I like my spuds and beer.

Johnny - Glad to hear that your wife seem to be doing well. Good news. Mt two youngest grand sons also love trains. One of them have really gotten quite proficient using magnets for the Kadee couplers and he can keep himself busy for hours switching.

Karl
- Nice photos of the dinner train. Thanks for the post.

Joe - Nice photo. I still have one grade crossing left to finish. If I ever get off my butt and get it sone, I can finish ballasting the last of the track on the layout.

As Willie mentioned, there was a lot of posts about credit cards. Over 30 years ago we ended up with some debt due to credit cards and worked as hard as we could and paid everything off and got rid of all credit cards. When buying on Amazon or other sites, we use debit cards as this way we don't spend what we don't have. Finally broke down a few years ago and got an American Express card which we use mainly for travel and also get 3% back on gasoline and some other items. We pay the entire bill each month. We were finally able to get totally debt free about 10 years ago and want to keep it that way. Sure feels good.

Here's a rail photo for today.

ebd0a8afeafe1d459c84ab846b22403a.jpg

Later

Good morning, everybody ....... Coffee and a donut, please.

Johnny ..... I am glad you stopped by to give us an update. Prayers continue for Dena.

Wilie .... Thanks for prayers for my MIL. The family is hoping she can recover enough to move into an assisted living place. She should have moved into one already few yers ago, but being stubborn she refused to do that. We will be back to see her in Nashville again soon. Fortunately, the Nashville family is handling things.

Joe .... You mentioned Zappos. ... My wife loves their outlet store in Shepherdsville, KY near Louisville. We stop there from time to time, and she takes advantage of their super low prices. . As you said they are owned by Amazon. I recall when Amazon bought Zappos. Amazon has added more big buildings in Shepherdsville. The outlet store now has clothing in addition to shoes.

Karl .... Nice photo of the Maryland short line .... Dinner trains are good to ride on.

Louis ..... EMD 1975 looks like something Dr. Frankendiesel would have kitbashed although of course it is not a diesel.

Terry ... Good idea not to pay credit card interest. As you do, we pay them off before they charge interest.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone...........very overcast and in the low 20's. Winter Storm Warning starts at noon....5-9 inches of snow today until tomorrow noon. Filled the gasoline tank on the Silverado since we have errands to do tomorrow. I don't mind driving in snow storms, but its the other drivers I worry about. Winter chill factors of -30 later in the week and weekend.

Received an email that Amazon sold out of the Bachmann 70 ton switcher I ordered. I'll look around and see if I can find another dealer with a locomotive in that price range.

Train room after lunch like I planned on doing yesterday. I have two sections, albeit them small areas to ballast and and others to remove some harden ballast from the inside rail webs of some spots on the mine spur.

Not much news to report other than I would like to exercise some locomotives that are in storage. I keep forgetting that I have them.

That's all for now.

Greg

########################

IMG_0248 (2).JPG

Visiting box car on the CM&NR.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

No train room today. I spent about 3 hours bagging up 12 lawn bags with oak leaves (house surrounded by oak trees). This was the first raking of the year. I usually have to do it 4 times. I also cut back and cleaned up a large bamboo patch we have. Afterwards Ibuprofen and water.

Johnny- I'm glad your wife seems to be doing OK and that your family is looking out for you. I have watched the commercial for those centers (closest is Atlanta) and wondered how good they actually are.

Joe- The road pavers around here (hate them) have many different colors but all of them subdued. What I would do for the actual crossing would be to use writing tablet cardboard as a template for the correct sizes and then transfer that onto the paver sheet.

Chet- My 2 grandsons could care less about my train layout. It holds their interest for about 5 minutes. Like most kids today they are way too connected.

Greg- Nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Got the driveway cleaned off until the next time.

thumbnail_20190122_123350.jpg thumbnail_20190122_123135.jpg Ginger is high tiling it back to the house in the 2nd photo. She follows me around like a puppy dog.

Louis - I have to agree that that EMD electric is one strange looking unit.

Greg -
I see that shipment we sent off has arrived in Wisconsin.

Sherrel -
That photo yo posted does look familiar.

I think I have a DCC board for a Genesis engine. I'll have to sort through my stuff, but if I have one, it's yours for whatever the Post Office charges me to get it to you.
Thanks mate, I may have one myself that I'll be deleting in favor of a sound decoder, but I'll let you know before I take up your kind offer. Got to report back to the owner as well. Something else I noticed with this one was a lot of free side to side play on the axles, much more than what's on my later version Genesis. It has the Genesis style truck sideframes with the pickups attached, rather than the floating inboard ones of the RTR's. It's not obvious from externally, but do they usually have sleeves over the axles inside the trucks to control that?

Shirley, where was that photo taken? Looks like Narrow Gauge Country to me. Is it Silverton CO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back