Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also have a Target Mastercard and store credit cards that offer a 5% discount.

Amazon also has a 5% discount when using the Amazon credit card.

I always buy my boys video games from Target or Amazon because the latest video games are seldom ever on sale. With Target or Amazon I at least get a 5% discount.
Ah, but what is the APR? By using their card to save 5%, you may be getting charged 22% or more. Typically, merchant credit cards have the highest interest rates, that can be as high as 30%. You'd be much better off foregoing the 5% "savings" and using a bank or credit union card. We have a credit union Visa that charges 5%.

All this talk of stores long-gone. I miss the lunch counter at Woolworths. Then, all the movie theaters in downtown Lansing have closed. Remember the old theaters, that looked like palaces inside? The only store left downtown from my childhood, oddly enough, is the Peanut House (guess what it sells?). The one place I used to play and explore that will "never" leave is the State capitol building. It was a great place to run around and, somehow, I never got thrown out.

he one place I used to play and explore that will "never" leave is the State capitol building. It was a great place to run around and, somehow, I never got thrown out.
Knew there was some place where your early years disciplinary instruction was lacking. I suppose that it was at the seat of government, instead of yours, could be taken as a reflection on the current state of society :eek:

Knew there was some place where your early years disciplinary instruction was lacking. I suppose that it was at the seat of government, instead of yours, could be taken as a reflection on the current state of society :eek:
It's interesting that you mention the "seat of government." One of my mother's favorite stories was how my best friend and I spent an afternoon sliding down the bannisters of the outside staircases. They are made of sandstone. I think I wore the bandage longer than the pants wore the patch.
Michigan_state_capitol.jpg

It's interesting that you mention the "seat of government." One of my mother's favorite stories was how my best friend and I spent an afternoon sliding down the bannisters of the outside staircases. They are made of sandstone. I think I wore the bandage longer than the pants wore the patch.
View attachment 33582
Sandstone Bannisters? You were nothing if not determined, then.

Good Morning All. 34° and clear skies with a very bright full moon.

Thanks for the comments on the pictures, Louis, Chet, Garry, Curt, Joe, Karl, David and any other folks that I may have missed.

Nothing new to report from the train shed yesterday. Only ran trains and did some switching. Got to keep those engineers busy. I did pull out a DPM structure from the shelf and tossed it on the workbench to start on soon. I think it's called the Seymour Block. I already have one of these that I built about 15 years ago, but this one will be painted differently and placed in another town, a different aisle, a different level and a different viewing angle and no one will know it's a duplicate but me.

Louis - Hope Angela is feeling better soon. Dehydration - watch out. Note that coffee itself will not cause dehydration (you've posted that you drink a lot of it), but caffeine is a diuretic and may cause excess fluid loss. As a person ages, your body's fluid reserve becomes smaller, your ability to conserve water is reduced and your thirst sense becomes less acute. One key to avoiding dehydration is to drink plenty of fluids before you partake in an active schedule or strenuous activity. It takes longer to recover if you wait until you become dehydrated before addressing it. I dislike losing hours of my life recovering from anything...illnesses and hangovers are a good examples.
Garry - Yes there is a lot of track. Approximately 425 pieces of flex and in excess of 110 switches along with a bunch of older, recycled sectional track that I used on industrial spurs. Each of those staging yard tracks has 4-6 pieces of flex alone, and there are two other smaller ones as well.
Sherrel - People actually use garages for cars???
David -

Operations was my goal from the very beginning. Originally I had 11 passing sidings, all long enough to hold 22-24 car trains, one has since been relegated to an arrival/departure track for the adjacent yard. No I do not plan to use any block signaling since I operate alone and don't run more than one train at a time. Lower level height is 36" and upper level is 52", a bit below my eye level. I have no grades as I model flatlands USA.

Today is the actual MLK holiday, even though his birthday was actually last week. Ever notice that liberals refer to him as Doctor Martin Luther King Jr., while conservatives refer to him as Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.? He was actually both.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie: Thanks for the explanation I know what you mean about being the sole operator/engineer ! If you and the little folks don't know what's going on, 'Nobody Does' ! LoL

Just my display modules left over from my club days, 16 feet of straight modules plus a corner. However , the "permanent" layout has been laid out in a software program, and the wood acquired, just need time and an extra pair of hands now and then.

Karl: That's good to hear, glad things are in the works. Also, congratulations on your up coming Wedding !!

Ah, but what is the APR? By using their card to save 5%, you may be getting charged 22% or more. Typically, merchant credit cards have the highest interest rates, that can be as high as 30%. You'd be much better off foregoing the 5% "savings" and using a bank or credit union card. We have a credit union Visa that charges 5%.
Beady, that is very true! I had an Amazon customer tell me she was paying 27.7% interest on her Amazon store card account.

On the other hand if you pay off the account with each statement you not only get 5% cash back, you have as much as 30 days or even more depending on when the transaction posts with zero interest.

Lydell Mitchell: Baltimore Colts Running Back from 1972-1977.
1548151147632.png

Mitchell also played for the San Diego Chargers and the Los Angeles Rams. He rushed for a total of 6,534 yards throughout his career.
He still lives in Baltimore and is part owner of Super Bakery, a company that produces nutrition-oriented foods for school children. He also partnered to rescue the Parks Sausage Company in Baltimore, the first African-American owned business in the U.S. to go public. Lydell Mitchell is active in lecturing students on the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse. BALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS

1548151912757.png

Then: General Motors on 2010 Broening Highway Baltimore, MD
Colloquially known as Baltimore Assembly, the plant opened in 1935 to construct Chevrolets. During the World War II years, it was converted to a wartime assembly plant, where parts were received, packaged and distributed across the world.

1548153786906.png

Now: The plant closed in 2005 and was demolished, to be replaced with an Amazon Fulfillment Center that opened in 2015 on 2010 Broening Highway.
1548153825594.png

Marvin Welch‎ - Baltimore's Past and Present Memories

One of the guys at the club asked me to put in NCE quickplug decoders into a couple of locos he just got off the local ebay. One was an early Genesis NS SD70M and the first one I opened, # 2590 ATHG6191. Here's me expecting a Quick Plug board, only to be confronted by this basic, virtually featureless bit of stuff with the wires attached by the usual method. No 8 pin socket, let alone the 9 pin. Interestingly though it had wired up Ditch lights. I'm hoping I've kept a Quick Plug board from one of the other locos I've converted to sound to replace this one with. I looked it up on Athearn's model search and see that it's on P12 (only goes to P13). Announced in December 2003, but no info on it at all, just the picture.

On the other hand if you pay off the account with each statement you not only get 5% cash back, you have as much as 30 days or even more depending on when the transaction posts with zero interest.
My Amazon store account is 24% interest, and I try to pay it off every month.

One of the guys at the club asked me to put in NCE quickplug decoders into a couple of locos he just got off the local ebay. One was an early Genesis NS SD70M and the first one I opened, # 2590 ATHG6191. Here's me expecting a Quick Plug board, only to be confronted by this basic, virtually featureless bit of stuff with the wires attached by the usual method. No 8 pin socket, let alone the 9 pin. Interestingly though it had wired up Ditch lights. I'm hoping I've kept a Quick Plug board from one of the other locos I've converted to sound to replace this one with. I looked it up on Athearn's model search and see that it's on P12 (only goes to P13). Announced in December 2003, but no info on it at all, just the picture.
I think I have a DCC board for a Genesis engine. I'll have to sort through my stuff, but if I have one, it's yours for whatever the Post Office charges me to get it to you.

Good morning. It's clear and 15.
Freezing rain on tap for tonight. I can hardly wait for the drive to work Wednesday morning. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back