Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning/ We're starting off at 13 degrees and are expected to get up to around 40 degrees this afternoon.

David - I have seen that video before, along with some other similar videos and it is amazing that anything stays on the rails whereas when we think we have some good track work on our layouts, derailments happen.

Louis - a good selections of photos today. My favorite is the PC GG-1.

Willie - I hope in time Scale Trains expands their locomotive roster. I do understand that they are a new company and hope the best for them as they seem to have some excellent locomotives from all of the info I have seen.

Dave in PV -
Nice to see that you finally got started on your layout. We all have started at the beginning and it nice to see you've taken that first important step.

I did finally get down to the train room yesterday and got to do some switching. I am really pleased with the little Bachmann 70 ton switcher. I can get over how smooth it runs and the low speed control it has. Can't believe that it is from Bachmann. Here it is heading into the Logan yard with an RS-11
which will be a helper sitting on the other yard lead. As soon as the track are clear, a southbound train will depart and the RS-11 will be a pusher at the rear. I already have a dozen cars sitting in the Gallatin Gateway yard which the RS-11 pill nose onto the yard and then put on the rear of the train and head south to West Yellowstone. I had a couple of track cleaning cars in the train and will let it run around the layout for a while.

This will be my track photo for today.

thumbnail_20190113_122258.jpg

Later

Good Morning Everyone..............sunny here in Wisconsin with the first real cold of the winter on its way to us later in the week and maybe the first "Real" snow storm of the season on Friday night into Saturday.

Train day for sure after completing a few other items on my to "Do List".

I have to finish some projects that will take a few minutes to complete, but I haven't put forth the effort in the past month or so. One thing for sure is I want to check on my ordered Rapido Diesel Budd Car for the C&NW. Should of been ready in January after missing December 2018.

Those ScaleTrains locomotives sure look great.

Willie: Great catch on the wire. Wire prices sure have increased in the past few years as the price of copper when up. I brought two 100' spools of 18 gauge wire and then I got home found that I already two spares and at that price I returned the new spools. When I worked I asked a contractor to save me some communications wire in a project where our company was cleaning up the old wiring to meet code. He gave me a bunch of telephone cable and other wire.

My incandescent power transformer came from a store under demolition and it powered the store's alarm system. I added a MRC rheostat on the transformer's steel case to control the output and I measured the output via a meter on a control panel.

Ken and Chet: I sure like using those Dust Monkeys on some of the rolling stock. From the look of the black stuff on the pads, the Monkeys are doing their job.

Early lunch........................later.

Greg

###############################################

Howdy ...

My wife’s mother is in ICU in Nashville, and we are very concerned about that. Two of Shelley’s sisters live In Nashville, and they are taking care of things. However, Shelley feels she should be there as much as possible, and I understand. It is over 100 miles to Nashville from our home. So I can’t be in the Coffee Shop much right now.

I will catch up on your interesting conversations when I can.

Garry I am so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, May God be with her and the entire family.

Dave - Good looking start there. Just a suggestion though, back those legs up a bit so you won't be hitting them with your toes. You're right about the bars, that's what I always tell my wife.
Willie I have been thinking about that and it will be easy to do before I get to far into the storage shelves. My "tender" even suggested I build the lower shelves strong enough & large enough to accommodate 180 lbs and a sleeping bag? Not sure what that's about.
Chet Thanks. It has taken awhile to get traction, it seems I am always 2nd guessing my plan,
PV Dave

I was busy this morning with my Mom. Garry's post reinforces my desire to jump when my Mom needs me.

I was on the way back from MB Klein this morning and I called my Mom to see if she needed anything. She told me she had a problem with her TV in her bedroom. I told her I would be there shortly.

Fortunately my Mom lives only minutes from me and I had a spare TV still in the box at my house. A quick swap like any good modern TV repair man would and my Mom is a happy girl! :). Then it was time for coffee. My Mom drinks coffee all day the same as I do, but much less because she uses a normal size coffee cup.

I'm guessing these modern TVs are disposable, they are cheap enough. I bought two 32 inch Ultra HD full LED TVs last black Friday for $79 each. I'm glad I did. After giving one to my Mom this morning I still have a new one in the box.

Willie I have been thinking about that and it will be easy to do before I get to far into the storage shelves. My "tender" even suggested I build the lower shelves strong enough & large enough to accommodate 180 lbs and a sleeping bag? Not sure what that's about.
Chet Thanks. It has taken awhile to get traction, it seems I am always 2nd guessing my plan,
PV Dave
I set my legs back 6.5" and that works for me. Could be that an unnamed person foresees having to sleep in the layout room in order to see you!

Willie: Great catch on the wire. Wire prices sure have increased in the past few years as the price of copper when up. I brought two 100' spools of 18 gauge wire and then I got home found that I already two spares and at that price I returned the new spools. When I worked I asked a contractor to save me some communications wire in a project where our company was cleaning up the old wiring to meet code. He gave me a bunch of telephone cable and other wire.

My incandescent power transformer came from a store under demolition and it powered the store's alarm system. I added a MRC rheostat on the transformer's steel case to control the output and I measured the output via a meter on a control panel.

Almost all of my electrical wiring is re-purposed wiring. Our company leased an additional building years ago and the previous tenant left behind hundreds of feet of telephone cable. Likewise when our company went "wireless", I got hundreds of feet of silver computer wiring and a half dozen transformers that were no longer needed in the now defunct "repeater boxes". The circuit breaker box in the train shed was going to be discarded because it wasn't the same brand as all of the others in our building and they wanted to standardize to reduce maintenance inventory parts. All of the four-foot florescent fixtures in my barn came from the same standardization program when they went with all eight-foot fixtures. Train shed got new ones though. I still maintain several contacts there who advise me on the availability of "garbage-bound" stuff.

Afternoon All,

Thank you all for your concern for my fingers.

The fingers are pain free today:) and I left off the bandages today. I picked up a $5 Athearn BB GS 40' ft box car at the show because I needed the underframe for the Pennsy Merchandise Service shell I have. I changed it out today and put on KD couplers and wheels.

On the build I put together the wooden walls including the 2 wall inset. The length of this so far is 8.5 inches. There will be a additional 6.5 inch fiberboard structure added on to the end and structures on the roof.

CA Dave- Interesting video. Too bad our stuff requires good track work.

Louis- Great Pennsy photo. Thanks for posting all the pics.

Chet- Et Tu? (PC LOL!). Great layout shots.

Garry- Prayers for your MIL and family.

20190116_130840-2016x980.jpg

20190116_131011-2016x980.jpg

20190116_131104-2016x980.jpg

20190116_131154-2016x980.jpg

20190116_134903-2016x980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back