Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris, I like to hear intelligent opposing points of view. That is how my opinions and ideas evolve. No body has a monopoly on all the answers, especially me! I could never imagine being offended by you or Willie.

Louis: Just to be clear, my comment wasn't directed at you.

I support the teachers strike in CA, from what I know of it at least. If you want the best people you have to pay the best salaries and they need smaller class sizes. We have to invest in our future.

Louis: I'm really not familiar with CA teachers work agreements or labor law. Assuming, that what we are talking about is a Legal Strike, then they are within their rights. However, they are not doing their students any favors. They don't care about their students, only themselves.

I'm surprised to hear any union would agree to forgo the option to strike. I learned talking to my garbage men that our sanitation workers can't strike.

Louis: Most critical jobs, in the public sector, have such a restriction. Police, Firefighters, Air Traffic Controllers etc. Disputes are resolved by arbitration. In the private (and public sector), The Railroad Industry is covered by the Federal Railway Labor Act, which allows strikes after an exhaustive mediation Process. Most legal strikes are immediately ended by Presidential Action, a declaration of a State of Emergency, followed by Binding Arbitration. The RLA supersedes all state labor laws. I believe that the RLA also applies to the Airline Industry, but I'm not certain about that. Maybe Captain Weems can clarify that.

Boris

Good evening Rail Workers

Hi Flo and Francine, I like coffee an a Apple Fritter ,

It's been raining most of the day, nothing too heavy but more than a light drizzle.
The temp has been on the chilly side with all be the moisture, it's 46°F and should stay that way through the night. Humidity is at 83% and Cloud cover is 93% with the barometric pressure being 759.400 mmhg.

Curt:. I sure hope your finger tips are feeling better.

Here's a YT video of the world's worst track age ! Unbelievable that the trains stay in the rails !! ?

I'm sure getting anxious to get back to working on my layout again as well as running some trains.

Hope everyone has a good night and day tomorrow.

Louis: Just to be clear, my comment wasn't directed at you.

Louis: I'm really not familiar with CA teachers work agreements or labor law. Assuming, that what we are talking about is a Legal Strike, then they are within their rights. However, they are not doing their students any favors. They don't care about their students, only themselves.

Louis: Most critical jobs, in the public sector, have such a restriction. Police, Firefighters, Air Traffic Controllers etc. Disputes are resolved by arbitration. In the private (and public sector), The Railroad Industry is covered by the Federal Railway Labor Act, which allows strikes after an exhaustive mediation Process. Most legal strikes are immediately ended by Presidential Action, a declaration of a State of Emergency, followed by Binding Arbitration. The RLA supersedes all state labor laws. I believe that the RLA also applies to the Airline Industry, but I'm not certain about that. Maybe Captain Weems can clarify that.

Boris
Boris my comment was only for clarification.

The little I know about the CA teachers strike is from 30 second segments on the CBS and NBC evening news. If what they say is true about 40+ class sizes than I think in the long run they are putting the students first.

I'm sure what they say on the news is true, but is it a wide spread problem or are only a few classes more than 40?

Even I have been challenged when I have several players with below average for their age baseball knowledge on my teams. I never had more than 15 players in youth baseball. If I have a 2 or 3 players that need extra help it's no problem. Any more and it can take away from advancing the knowledge of the others. These days I have twice as many coaches because today's youths knowledge of baseball is far behind what it was 20 years ago. They are not stupid, they just have not been introduced to the game like the previous generation.

"Light bulb goes on" See now you have helped me come full circle. Maybe you and Willie are right, Americans are not stupid, just uninformed.

I know very little about unions other than on average union workers make better money and have better benefits.

Also I know of, but I have not read the Taft-Hartley Act. I do know President Truman vetoed Taft-Hartley Act, but congress overrode his veto. Truman called it "a dangerous intrusion on free speech"

I think unions are exteremly important, maybe now as much as ever. Our workers have safer working conditions for the most part, but wages have not kept pace with growth. When 1% holds 95% of the wealth something is out of kilter. I don't want government to redistribute wealth. A free market should do that and unions have a part to play in that. On the other side of that coin I don't like corporate welfare in the form of full time workers getting food stamps, health care and other benefits from the government. The tax laws only make it worse.

Hey how about an equal flat rate tax for everybody, regardless of income? We need to stop giving lower income people an incentive to do less. We need to stop the rich loop holes to avoid paying their fair share. I understand why both groups do it, because they can!

I better leave it at that.

1547626055785.png

1547626193118.png

On this date in 1981, Bob Gibson was elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility.

Gibson was a 2x Cy Young Award winner (1968, 1970), and a 2x World Champion and World Series MVP (1964, 1968) for the Cardinals. He went 7-2 with a 1.89 ERA and 92 strikeouts in 9 World Series starts.

In 17 seasons he won 251 games with 3,117 strikeouts and a 2.91 ERA and earned two World Championship rings. Gibson was the National League MVP In 1968, going 22-9 with a 1.12 ERA.
1960s Baseball

Metroliner 50th Anniversary
January 15-16th, 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the Metroliner, the first generation of modern “high-speed” passenger service in the United States. Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
1547628472561.png

Amtrak 882-800-858, Tr. # 108, B&P Tunnel, Baltimore, 8-21-79; by Joseph Stumpfel

1547628899688.png

An early Amtrak public relations graphic depicting both the Metroliner and the forthcoming GE E60CP.
https://www.facebook.com/BaltimoreN...RMkXQxNOr5rEaIzzxDJUgNpKtvHmXNQEsfI8t_P0bAWA8

Good Morning everyone,

Clouds, fog, and drizzle this morning with temperatures in the mid 30s. Last day of the warm trend we have been riding for about 5 weeks. Oh well, had to happen sooner or later. It’s January in the Midwest.

Have a great day,

Good Morning All. 44° and cloudy, expecting low 60's later today. Nice enough weather yesterday that I extended my daily walk to 1.5 miles. Forecast for the next few days is more of the same, but has been changing for the weekend, it may not get into the teens they now say.
I spent more time in the train shed than I normally do yesterday and did some electrical work under the layout. A few weeks ago, I was able to acquire several hundred feet of free leftover 14 gauge stranded wire from a contractor working for my former employer. It's a bit of overkill for what I am using it for, but I replaced a 22 gauge lighting buss. Eventually I will also replace a 20 gauge power buss used for accessories. My main power buss is 18 gauge, which is more than adequate. I also set up another throttle plug-in location for my walk-around throttle, using standard 4-wire telephone cable, for added convenience. I now have six locations for that. To top things off, I had a few cold ones and ran trains.

Iron Horseman -
I thought the rest of the board was about trains. Too much good train stuff gets sucked down here into the coffee shop, depriving the rest of the board.
You're somewhat correct with that observation. Many forum members do not visit the Coffee Shop and therefore miss some stuff that we post. I am guilty of posting here myself.
Chet - ScaleTrains, being a relatively new company, just doesn't have as wide or varied product line as many other manufacturers do, yet. They also seem to limit their runs to a bit more than their pre-orders and don't have a warehouse full of back products. I don't know if that will change anytime in the future. For me, it is unfortunate that they weren't in business twenty years ago, or I would have bought a lot of freight cars from them. But at 800 right now, I just don't need any more.
Dave - Good looking start there. Just a suggestion though, back those legs up a bit so you won't be hitting them with your toes. You're right about the bars, that's what I always tell my wife.
Louis - Shame on you for violating the ban!;)

Wow, in the last half hour a dense fog descended over the SFW estate. I cannot see the cars on the road 150 feet in front of the house! I can barely see the train shed but I can get there under any conditions.
Everybody have a great day and stay warm up north.

MORNING FROM "STILL RAINY LAND"!
Off to the Medical Facility for several tests - be a long day. I should not have bunched them all up; I will have 3 hours to kill between a couple of them. It sort of drizzled most of the night. The crazies will be out in force this morning trying to drive 80 on wet, rainy freeways!

BORIS - The airlines unions pretty much followed the same path as the railroads as far as working rules go. We did have very strick rules on flying hours and hours on duty - these were mostly set by the Federals (FAA).
Our negoiations went something like this -- Company, "We will give you a $1000 raise" - Union, "We'll take $500"!

i GOT TO RUN -- have fun everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back