Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1547551104112.png

Good Morning Gentlemen!
It's 55 degrees with a 58 high in the forecast -- overcast with some additional rain maybe this afternoon.

LOUIS and JOE -- You two really have interesting reading! What are you trying to do?
NO, you cannot take away my "longest post title"!

Louis -- That is an awesome photo of the Pennsy locomotives! Love it!
Sherrell, nobody can unseat you!

I'm glad you like the picture.

Good morning. It's foggy and 30.
Back/neck/arm issues continue, it looks like things have "stabilized", as I haven't felt any better or worse in the last several days.

I think I let all y'all know I had sold the ailing car. I put up an ad on Craigslist, and it sold within hours. One of the people that contacted me wanted me to hold it until he could raise money. When I told him the first person to put cash in my hand owned it, he called me, among other things, a scammer, con artist, and racist.
When I told him I couldn't tell his race through the text messages he had sent me, the fact he accused me of being a racist gave me a pretty good clue about his ethnicity.
The only color I see when I'm selling something is the green of the money.

I think I let all y'all know I had sold the ailing car. I put up an ad on Craigslist, and it sold within hours. One of the people that contacted me wanted me to hold it until he could raise money. When I told him the first person to put cash in my hand owned it, he called me, among other things, a scammer, con artist, and racist.
When I told him I couldn't tell his race through the text messages he had sent me, the fact he accused me of being a racist gave me a pretty good clue about his ethnicity.
The only color I see when I'm selling something is the green of the money.
Here we are in the age of stupidity. Sorry you had to deal with an idiot, but I'm glad you sold the car!

Well, I bought my first Scale Trains Rivet Counter loco from MBK this evening on a 5% discount (I hope, 'cause I forgot to enter the code on the order) I wrote to them immediately, now I also hope they're understanding. Anyway, it's one of their T4 Gevos but not W/Sound, but is DC/DCC/Sound ready. It's a bit of a strange deal, this. Although they tell you you can use another brand of decoder, either silent or sound, they also tell you (but not on the sales page, you had to dig to find this out) that because it's a proprietary ESU 21 pin motherboard, you'll only get the basic functions of DC operation from the alternate board you plug in. Only an ESU V4 decoder will give full functions.

Luckily, a Y'tuber had put up a video showing the removal of the shell off of the very same loco, cause he was installing another brand of 21 pin decoder. Very easy to remove and a very nice, clean setup. The LEDS are SMD's, mounted to the chassis, with wires running over the chassis, to the mother board. Nothing is attached to the shell, it comes right off, out the way. And best of all, after all the palaver about this motherboard, so long as you don't mind ditching that, I can't see anything stopping you from fitting an alternative.

Good Morning All. 37° and cloudy outside, 72° and clear where I am at the keyboard. That warming trend starts today, we'll finally be out of the 40's and into the 60's by tomorrow. 70° is the predicted high for Friday with more rain, then WHAM, a high Saturday of 40° and into the teens overnight!
Out in the train shed yesterday, I was able to clean and dust a few more structures, almost done with my targeted area. While the track in this area is nice and clean, I plan to spray-paint it a light earth color so that can be marked off the to-do list. Painted up the handful of electric meters that I made Sunday out of bits and pieces of styrene shapes. Moved a pair of sluggish running Kato GP35's to the RIP track to do some maintenance. I purchased them in 1998, but in checking my records, I have never performed any kind of maintenance other than wheel cleaning. I have never even taken the shells off that I can recall. They won't be there for long as they're my favorite units for local turns when switching. If I do recall, Kato trucks are a bit tricky to disassemble, at least on three axle trucks they are. I was using them yesterday for what ATSF called a "sweeper run", where they periodically sent motive power out from a yard and just swept all of the trailing spurs and sidings of all empty freight cars and took them to the next classification yard along the line. The next day, the return run did the same for what was then the trailing spurs.

Sherrel - Don't float away!:cool: All that rain should really help that "seed" tree grow.
Curt - Hope that your fingers are feeling better today.
Garry - Sorry that I didn't respond to the question regarding the Golden Spike Ceremony, but unfortunately it is in the midst of harvest time for me...if it ever dries out enough to plant. Not too sure that the wife would appreciate it either, she's not much into trains.
Terry - Continued best wishes on your recovery and best of luck with the replacement vehicle. New buzz word=racist.
Louis - I respectfully disagree
Many Americans are stupid and it's only getting worse!
Here's a quote from Joe (aka - борис циник / Boris the Cynic)
Americans are not stupid, uninformed perhaps, but not stupid.
Reform of the educational system is what is really needed. Quit treating the precious snowflakes (students) as snowflakes and make them learn like we had to years ago. Get rid of the unqualified teachers. Yes, there are still some idiots around (mainly politicians and lawyers) who want us all to remain uniformed masses. I'll stop the rant now before I offend someone.

Today is actually Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, although the holiday isn't until next Monday. Ironically enough, he was an avowed Republican while he was alive.

Everybody have a great day.

Well, I bought my first Scale Trains Rivet Counter loco from MBK this evening on a 5% discount (I hope, 'cause I forgot to enter the code on the order) I wrote to them immediately, now I also hope they're understanding. Anyway, it's one of their T4 Gevos but not W/Sound, but is DC/DCC/Sound ready. It's a bit of a strange deal, this. Although they tell you you can use another brand of decoder, either silent or sound, they also tell you (but not on the sales page, you had to dig to find this out) that because it's a proprietary ESU 21 pin motherboard, you'll only get the basic functions of DC operation from the alternate board you plug in. Only an ESU V4 decoder will give full functions.

Luckily, a Y'tuber had put up a video showing the removal of the shell off of the very same loco, cause he was installing another brand of 21 pin decoder. Very easy to remove and a very nice, clean setup. The LEDS are SMD's, mounted to the chassis, with wires running over the chassis, to the mother board. Nothing is attached to the shell, it comes right off, out the way. And best of all, after all the palaver about this motherboard, so long as you don't mind ditching that, I can't see anything stopping you from fitting an alternative.

You will like it a lot! I have several, they look, and run great. Nice pullers too.

Willie and Boris,

I still say many, not all, but far too many are just plain stupid.

It's easy to blame the schools, but I blame the parents. The people who raised me taught me to read, introduced me to math, geography, science and much more with the newspaper before I went to school.

Teachers have the kids for less than 6 hours for about 180 days out of each school year. Teachers try to discipline today's student, chances are the parents come screaming at the teachers.

Good Morning all,

A bit of freezing drizzle this morning. Temps in the upper 20s. Looks like our warm spell is coming to an abrupt halt on Saturday. Single digits to below zero readings for the foreseeable future.

Have a great day.

Good Morning y'all. It's sunny at the Jersey Shore. Soon as sunrise occurred, the temperature rose from 17 to 26.

Reform of the educational system is what is really needed. Quit treating the precious snowflakes (students) as snowflakes and make them learn like we had to years ago. Get rid of the unqualified teachers. Yes, there are still some idiots around (mainly politicians and lawyers) who want us all to remain uniformed masses. I'll stop the rant now before I offend someone.
Willie: I have to agree with that, to some extent. It does go deeper than that. Our country has undergone a complete cultural change, since the 1930s.
What we object to is actually the continued evolution of that cultural change. I believe that it was Newton Minnow, John Kennedy's FCC chairman, who described television as a vast wasteland. He was right, and that's why we have 300 channels of shows glorifying crime, ignorance, and violence interspersed with propaganda from one or another source. Television is the nation's babysitter. Kids do learn and are affected by the stuff they see on the tube. Now that we have TV networks targeted to various demographic and political groups, TV channels programing to appeal strictly to the demographic. Modern social media only serves to reinforce these divisions. And enforce collective ignorance.

Today is actually Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, although the holiday isn't until next Monday. Ironically enough, he was an avowed Republican while he was alive.

MLK actually studied at Crozer Theological Seminary, a Baptist Seminary that was located in Southeastern Pennsylvania, in the heart of Urban Republicanism. While there, he preached in local Black Churches, and interacted in the community. FWIW, and lost to revisionist history, it was the Republican Party that was in the forefront of the Civil Rights Movement, who ended Southern segregation in the 50s and 60s. The first Black member of the Senate, since Reconstruction, was Republican Edward Brooke, of Massachusetts.

Boris

In the 19th century the Democratic party was the party of slavery and oppression. The Republican party was the party of Abraham Lincoln and Abolitionism.

It's easy to blame the schools, but I blame the parents. The people who raised me taught me to read, introduced me to math, geography, science and much more with the newspaper before I went to school.

Louis: Not for nothing, but yesterday, my youngest son, College graduate, Decorated Marine Combat Veteran, Currently employed by the Department of the Navy, thanked his "Mother", for teaching him to read. The public schools, determined that he was "learning disabled", and that it would be a waste of resources to teach him to read. His high school councilor recommended he go to Vo-tech, and learn a trade. He had a B+ GPA.

No, Louis, it's not the parents, it's the schools. Parents tend to follow what the teachers tell them, provided they comprehend what they are told by the educator. In my experience, they tell you one thing, do something else, and threaten the parent with Child services, if the parent takes exception to what the school is saying. Urban parents have additional distractions and problems, but the problem is the public schools. It's no accident that Charter Schools are so popular in urban areas, and are the bane of Public School Teacher's Associations, everywhere.

Boris

Interesting discussions going on - I love it. I also love the rain we have had, and are currently receiving. It's overcast supposedly all day with scattered showers coming from several "bands" of clouds that keep forming from a large low pressure area offshore. We have not had here the heavy rain that produces flooding and it seems that most everything sinks right into the ground.

NOW, to the "Seed Tree" that Willie mentioned! Believe it or not - The County came by Friday and trimmed the tree! This is after they had told me that (and a guy came to my door) it was not the County's tree. Now I am in a quandry as what to do == I tried my best to get them to cut it down, but they said that as long as it was green, they could not!
DARN - they had all the right equipment too! Boom truck, chain saws, cleanup crew and chipper!
NOW - If I cut it down, Imay get in trouble with the County ... and you know how CA is. If I kill that tree, I risk some of the limbs falling on my house and if the County comes back to take down the dead tree - they will know that I killed it.
I am open to suggestions???

Incidently, WE have a teachers strike in LA at this time. I am sure that it will add to the stupid and uninformed crowd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back