Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherrel -
WILLIE - I swear, Your layout takes up so much of that building that when inside - it just did not seem that large? There is hardly room to turn around! It is definitely "A Train Shed".

Efficient use of space. All aisles with a single exception of one 24" "squeeze-point" are 32"- 40". There is 165'+ of linear main line on each level, folded serpentine style in the room. Being a lone operator, it is more than sufficient room for me to move, and the aisles actually are wide enough for two people to pass comfortably.

Have a question: How are the Real Estate taxes computed in TX? Is it a % of "full" value, or what. Looking at some prices and such around there seems to be a wide variance?
Also - seems like prices around TYLER are cheap compared to where you are?

Real Estate taxes are figured differently in each county in Texas. For example in Cooke County where I live, for my four bedroom 1500 sq ft house, the 800 sq ft shed, the 800 sq ft barn and 15 acres of land, I pay a bit over $800 a year in total taxes. A mile down the road in Denton County, it is about $1300/year for a comparable piece of rural property with the same exemptions. I get a homestead exemption on the house and accompanying one acre of land, an agricultural exemption (because I grow hay) on the remaining 14 acres and in Texas most property tax valuations are frozen when one of the owners reaches 65 years old, in my case my wife in 2015. In 2018, my taxes actually went down because they collected less for certain stuff, like my assessment for the maintenance of the Corps of Engineers flood control lake across the road.
Tyler Texas is less expensive. Most rural land in that area is not suitable for agriculture without some major clearing. It is mostly hilly and is heavily timbered. Growing timber does qualify one for the agriculture exemption though, if a certain percentage is harvested within a certain time frame. Parts of the city are somewhat depressed due to the lack of any real industry there, but most of the city is still thriving. The oilfields beneath the area gave out in the late 60's. Remember too that in Texas, there is no state income tax, our Constitution forbids that. Sales taxes are a bit above 8% on everything but food and gasoline is cheap - currently averaging $1.85/gal.
Sounds like I work for the relocation bureau!:)

Well, I spent the afternoon in an unexpected used car search. My wife's car had a sudden catastrophic engine failure, and we are scrambling to get some reliable transportation for her.

Well, I spent the afternoon in an unexpected used car search. My wife's car had a sudden catastrophic engine failure, and we are scrambling to get some reliable transportation for her.

Having any luck since your last FB posting?

DANG -- Just when I thought it was going to clear up - BAMM! Here comes another line of rain clouds.
I've got more than an inch here today! Now the sun has come out again?

David: Not for nothing, but the foxy engineer on the SP, and the Female Clerk running the train in the wreck Garry described, are two separate items.
The SP Engineer, was trained, certified and qualified to operate trains, a clerk going for a ride with a reckless drunken crew, had no business on the train, let alone at the controls. Neither did the drunken crew, who undoubtedly became ex-employees. I had two friends, both trainmen, killed when their cabin car was rear ended by a train operated by a drunken engineer.

BTW, I had the opportunity to work around numerous female engineers, especially when I was with Amtrak. They took their jobs seriously, and did very well, much better than some of the males.

Boris

Boris: That's correct, there was no connection between the two ladies. That's the point I was trying to make in my reply to Garry that the office clerk was untrained and evidently didn't even know how to get help so she was possibly doing the best she could with her limited know how. How was she to know about track conditions let alone speed restrictions or even how to control the locomotive ? And like I mentioned to Garry, with the two men out of commission who else was left to attempt to operate anything??

Good morning everybody

David .... Investigators used simulators to see how the train had been operated. One was the FRA's and one was the IC's. (The IC simulator was operated by my friend.) The route had various speed striations based on the track profile and track conditions. It was not perfectly level track. There its ups and downs in the track spaced close together a bit like a roller coaster. It needed an experienced engineer familiar with the route to operate it. The Yard clerk went too fast and cars were bouncing up and down too much. Both simulators demonstrated that happened. The gondola and other cars bounced off of their trucks while trucks were still on the rails. Eventually cars derailed, and the gondola might have been the first to derail. ..... If you watch the video, you cans much of the train had been derailed.

Garry: Neither of the men were able to take the controls so who else was left but the untrained office clerk. As you state the train was traveling too fast for track conditions but how is an untrained office clerk supposed to know that or even how to attempt to slow the train down. The drunk engineer had evidently set the throttle and then passed out. How was she to know it should be any different. Again, if the track in that area had problems how can the office clerk be held any more responsible for that than the placement of the empty gondola or knowing about speed restrictions as well as how to operate the controls ?? Even if It were you or I that somehow got thrown into that situation we'd both be hard pressed to know what to do or when ! Wouldn't we ??

Last edited:
David: Not for nothing, but the foxy engineer on the SP, and the Female Clerk running the train in the wreck Garry described, are two separate items.
The SP Engineer, was trained, certified and qualified to operate trains, a clerk going for a ride with a reckless drunken crew, had no business on the train, let alone at the controls. Neither did the drunken crew, who undoubtedly became ex-employees. I had two friends, both trainmen, killed when their cabin car was rear ended by a train operated by a drunken engineer.

BTW, I had the opportunity to work around numerous female engineers, especially when I was with Amtrak. They took their jobs seriously, and did very well, much better than some of the males.

Boris

Joe: Sorry to hear about the loss of your two friends to a drunken engineer.

Garry: Neither of the men were able to take the controls so who else was left but the untrained office clerk. As you state the train was traveling too fast for track conditions but how is an untrained office clerk supposed to know that or even how to attempt to slow the train down. The drunk engineer had evidently set the throttle and then passed out. How was she to know it should be any different. Again, if the track in that area had problems how can the office clerk be held any more responsible for that than the placement of the empty gondola or knowing about speed restrictions as well as how to operate the controls ?? Even if we're you or I that somehow got thrown into that situation we'd both be hard pressed to know what to do ! Wouldn't we ??
While I somewhat agree that she might have been doing the best that she could, the fact remains; what was she doing in the cab to begin with?

Mike, congrats. Are you using any support? I must have tried to quit 20 times on my own, but didn't succeed until I used The Patch (tm). That time, it only took three days.

Looks like The Storm will pass south of us. Seems weird, having to go south to find snow (that's a view out the front window in the pic):
20190112_140621.jpg

Again, I feel I should apologize for not having much of anything to contribute, although I do enjoy reading the posts here. I'm so close to having a layout that i can see, taste and feel it, but it's still going to take a while.

Having any luck since your last FB posting?
Well, I have one person that sounds serious about buying the old car, and two scammers.
I'm going to drop a copy of the buyer's order for the other car off at my credit union Monday, and see what they say.

JOE - Like the photos and description of your layout ... not sure why you say a liftout, swing section won't work. You would only have it in place when you were operating?

Sherrel: Two reasons, one being that the bench work needed to get close is not complete, the other is the angle of the liftout.

Karl: Nice job on the Mountain. Looks very convincing next to the prototype photo.

That's correct, there was no connection between the two ladies. That's the point I was trying to make in my reply to Garry that the office clerk was untrained and evidently didn't even know how to get help so she was possibly doing the best she could with her limited know how. How was she to know about track conditions let alone speed restrictions or even how to control the locomotive

David: Simply stated at best, she didn't belong there. At worst, she was a distraction, and possibly was just as buzzed as the head end crew. How many lives did this group endanger? If they wrecked in an urban area Imagine the carnage. When those two clowns blew the signal at Chase MD, and caused that disaster and loss of life, not only did they go to jail, and lose their jobs, but their Boss was fired for not checking them out. Operating a train while impaired is just unacceptable.

Boris

Mike, congrats. Are you using any support? I must have tried to quit 20 times on my own, but didn't succeed until I used The Patch (tm). That time, it only took three days.

I used the patch for about six days (just to get used to not doing it anymore). I was able to discontinue it after that. It worked out really well.

Garry: Neither of the men were able to take the controls so who else was left but the untrained office clerk. As you state the train was traveling too fast for track conditions but how is an untrained office clerk supposed to know that or even how to attempt to slow the train down. The drunk engineer had evidently set the throttle and then passed out. How was she to know it should be any different. Again, if the track in that area had problems how can the office clerk be held any more responsible for that than the placement of the empty gondola or knowing about speed restrictions as well as how to operate the controls ?? Even if It were you or I that somehow got thrown into that situation we'd both be hard pressed to know what to do or when ! Wouldn't we ??

David ..... Because the locomotive crew was too drunk to run the train, the train should not have been running at all. .... The yard clerk did not belong in the locomotive cab, and certainly not at the controls. . ... Another fact, I did not mention is there was an employee at the origin terminal in Baton Rouge who observed the yard clerk boarding the locomotive. He failed to report was he saw, and was in trouble for that failure. I think I heard he was fired. ....Read Willie's and Joe's comments. ....

Boris ... I'm sorry to learn about the fatal accident you described.

Are any of you planning to attend the 150th anniversary of the Golden Spike in Utah on May 10th? .... I am.

I'd like to, but I was just there in late August.

BTW, the gift shop sells a pretty unique souvenir, a replica survey marker from the USGS.
20180830_132351.jpg

While I somewhat agree that she might have been doing the best that she could, the fact remains; what was she doing in the cab to begin with?

Willie: She was going for a train ride of course as well as to provide some R&R for the crew ! LoL. Certainly she was there at the request of one or both of the men ! It's probably against RR Policy but probably so is Liquor, yet there it was ! Men will be men !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back