Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon Everyone....sunny but cold here in Wisconsin. The Mrs. took me to a movie and I fell asleep about 10 minutes before the ending! We saw Clint Eastwood in The Mule. Eastwood is getting older like most of us, but what a life he lead and he is enjoying every minute of it. I would rate the movie at only maybe a 7, but rate Eastwood's efforts to still act at his age a 10.

Sherrel: I have two Atlas Milwaukee Road U-Boats that pull my unit ore train. I last ran the ore train on club's our now departed mod layout when we set up it at a local C&NW historical Society Meeting. The train only had only 24 cars, but no one said a word about the Milwaukee U-Boats being at a C&NW function. Guess I wasn't thinking and should of ran some C&NW power to pull the unit ore train.

Great story on the locomotives.

Erik: I would consider a house with larger basement with all the creature comforts and requirements like electrical, heat and air conditioning. Or perhaps a bonus room or a two level garage with space for a layout.

You have seen our basement and the layout room and unfortunately the finished area of the basement came before the layout room which restricted the size of the layout. It would be nice to have a fresh start and a clear basement.

Willie: Like Erik suggested, please tell us the story on the construction of your "Train Shed".

Need to look at Scale Trains for some Milwaukee or C&NW motive power. I enjoy models with so much detail. I can sit for a long time watching trains circle my layout, some times with a favorite adult drink.

Looking forward to tomorrow to work all day in the layout room. Still have to get two turnouts to work smoothly. Going to try a new weathering products.

Jim: I agree about the houses being so close to the engine facitities. Around the clock noise. The CN line is a mile and a half from my house and at night I hear the locomotives' engines and their horns at the grade crossings.

That's all for now.

Greg

################

String of  WC Cars at Siding.JPG

A vintage shay moves pass four Wisconsin Central box cars on the spur.

Erik: I would consider a house with larger basement with all the creature comforts and requirements like electrical, heat and air conditioning. Or perhaps a bonus room or a two level garage with space for a layout.

You have seen our basement and the layout room and unfortunately the finished area of the basement came before the layout room which restricted the size of the layout. It would be nice to have a fresh start and a clear basement.

Certainly a great thought, Greg, but our No.1 priority is everything on one floor. DSM is very concerned about having to deal with steps as we get older. We're also moving in a general downsizing direction. Ideally we'll still be able to have a basement...that's what I am using now... but keeping options open. In any case, it is all very long range, anyhow. We're here for at least a couple more years, unless real estate broker comes to us sooner with an offer we can't refuse....

Boris and David, those electric busses were before my time. I have no idea how they maintained the connection to the overhead wires. I just think they are cool.

1547199480451.png

Original Kahler’s Crab house on the corner of Kenwood and Philadelphia Rd, Baltimore Co. with the semi pro baseball field behind it.
BALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS
1547200610142.png

Baseball, crabs, beer. and a few bucks in the pocket!

Furnace update; I made a "parts changer" mistake. I diagnosed the problem and ordered a replacement part without taking the part off to bench test it. Sure enough I bought a spare part. Luckily it was only $11 and change. The problem was a bad connection between the circuit board and wiring harness.

For me there are 2 kinds of technicians.
Parts changers and true mechanics.
Even with all the experience I have, being lazy made me a parts changer.

I do have some good news! I was able to acquire a LCCA (Lionel Collectors Club of America) 2018 Christmas Boxcar. I had forgotten to order one when they were available in July.

Since the LCCA and the LRRC (Lionel railroaders club) merged they have not sold out the annual Christmas cars. All but the very first one are still available in the LCCA online store.

The 2018 Christmas car was sold out when I remembered to order one. I contacted the club secretary and bless his heart, he found one for me! All is well that ends well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back