Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NP2626

We're even colder today, thermometer show -43 below. That's 51 or 49 degrees colder than Louis. However the wind is 0 MPH out of the North! Sky is mostly overcast. Barometer is three zero point one three and going to JUMP up point thee over the next hour.

That's the weather from Park Rapids, Minnesota this AM, as I am not going out to check the real temperature! Supposedly, it will get above Zero about this time tomorrow! Looking forward to it! Been cooped up in the house enough!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruette

Incase anyone is wondering:
The Freezing Temperatures of Alcohol
Beer: 27F
Wine:
23F
40 Proof Liquor:
22F
64 Proof Liquor: -10F
80 Proof Liquor:
-17F
Note: These freezing points are not exact, particularly with the beer and wine. Use the temperatures as a general guideline. A small difference in the alcohol content will not make a big difference in whether or not your beverage will freeze.

Bruette

Frank Robinson, 83, reported to be in hospice care. - Source: USA Today
1548935751927.png

Great player, Great manager, Great man.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Incase anyone is wondering:
The Freezing Temperatures of Alcohol
Beer:
27F
Wine:
23F
40 Proof Liquor:
22F
64 Proof Liquor: -10F
80 Proof Liquor:
-17F
Note: These freezing points are not exact, particularly with the beer and wine. Use the temperatures as a general guideline. A small difference in the alcohol content will not make a big difference in whether or not your beverage will freeze.
If you want a more potent drink, freeze your beer or wine, and throw out the ice.

Bruette

If you want a more potent drink, freeze your beer or wine, and throw out the ice.
Or save time and effort, buy pure grain alcohol. I knew guys who drank pure grain alcohol. They mixed in a pack of Kool-Aid and called it jungle juice. I always thought suicide juice was a better name for it.

Bruette

Look what song popped up next on YouTube, it's from 1971, but it's still relevant. A timeless classic.
"Escape from brainwashed winds and pollution
Leave the earth to all its sin and hate"

Bruette

1548938584247.png

Packard bus outside Women’s College of Baltimore City, ca. 1910
Goucher College was originally called Women’s College of Baltimore City and was located on St. Paul Street in Baltimore. It moved to its current location in Towson, Maryland in 1953. The building depicted is currently home to the Baltimore Lab School.

Stephen Main - ‎BALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS

Flip

Good morning. It's 46* at 7:45 in mid Fla.
Always kept my VODKA in the freezer for an instant martini when I got home from work.
Prayers and Blessings,
Phil

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Morning All. Downright warm here compared with everyone else, at 37° and cloudy. That's 80° warmer than Mark!
Here's a map from TV station WLKY in Louisville KY showing where it's colder than a witches *** in a brass bra!

1548936138594.png

And now another tee shirt picture, not quite as scary as I brushed my hair for this one.
01-31-19 001.JPG

My wife doesn't like me to wear this one in public!:(

Thanks for the comments on the pictures from yesterday, Garry, Chet, Greg, Curt, and anyone else that I may have overlooked.

I mostly studied my new town yesterday in the train shed. I'm deciding on parking lots, concrete, asphalt or gravel; tree placement, vehicles and other details. I also picked out a handful of additional figures to be added. I'll likely start on the ground cover today depending on how much time I spend out there this afternoon, and dependent on whether or not I pick up the throttle and run trains. .

Louis -
That is sweet! It's loaded with details! :)
The ScaleTrains "Rivet-Counters" HO models are all fully loaded with details. They are the finest mass produced models that I have seen in 35 years of modeling.
Those alcohol freezing numbers should be very familiar to those of us that accidentally left a beer in the freezer overnight when younger!:mad:
Joe - Like your area, we rarely see single digits here. We had a three-week spell in the late 80's where it didn't get above 20° and actually went below 0° twice. Several days in the 1-10 degree range. Still see single digits about every 3-4 years.

I'm with Garry on dropping the discussions on climate change/global warming. Not because anyone has been argumentative or uncivil, but more because I think that we have all had our say and we're just rehashing the same old stuff.
How about another picture of Jack's taken from the other side?
1-29-19 007.JPG

Next door to Jack's is the local hangout, "Sud's Bucket". It's about 90% complete as I was always waiting to position it before completing the detailing.
1-29-19 004.JPG

The rear loading dock.
01-27-19 007.JPG

Today is National Hot Chocolate Day, very appropriate for many of the northerners here; especially if you don't indulge in hot toddies! Of course if you haven't gotten your liquor inside yet, it may be too late for that.
Otherwise, everybody have a great day and stay warm.

N

NP2626

Nice structures, Willie!

Are the two low pressures shown in your TV view of the Polar Vortex, the Witch's Patoots in a Brass Bra you referenced?

tootnkumin

Staff member
View attachment 33927
Packard bus outside Women’s College of Baltimore City, ca. 1910
Goucher College was originally called Women’s College of Baltimore City and was located on St. Paul Street in Baltimore. It moved to its current location in Towson, Maryland in 1953. The building depicted is currently home to the Baltimore Lab School.

Stephen Main - ‎BALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS
An interesting Bus. Noted what appears to be drop down steps on the side for the ladies to embark/disembark on. A wider one at the bottom. It must still have been quite an exercise getting on, and worse, getting off, with those long skirts to get the feet tangled in. I guess the bloke with his legs crossed, next to the driver was Conductor, come helper onner and offer and part time catcher, as well. A real handy bloke to have around.

Raincoat2

Good morning everyone. 16 out there, but the coffee in here is nice and hot!! (I'm on my second cup!!)

Sorry I missed the forum yesterday. Had an unexpected day off from work. Because of the snow (1-2 inches) and the extreme (for these parts) cold yesterday, every school and college in SW MO was closed and many businesses closed or opened late. Driving in snow doesn't bother me, so after driving to work, the text message came from our boss that we would be closed!! I sent an angry note about calling closures earlier for us early risers (I get to the office at 6:30 - - everyone else comes in at 8). Haven't had a response from the boss yet.

So I drove home and stayed in all day. Napped, watched a movie on tv, practiced guitar, and did some scenickating on the layout. Nice relaxing day doing whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, however I wanted!! Is that a definition of retirement?!

My wife says its 22 below (air temp, not wind chill) up in Zion, IL where she is. She says there is no wind this morning so it feels warmer than 22 below. I was going to say yeah it probably only feels like 18 below. For everyone who has been keeping her in your prayers, she is doing very well - today is day 9 of her radiation - tomorrow is her half-way point. They say the second half goes by fast. I hope so - - I miss her!!

So, have a good day everyone.

Bruette

1548941998450.png

A Chatham Railroad (Massachusetts) train moves downgrade in this rural scene circa 1890-1900, restored from the original glass plate negative.
The Chatham Railroad Company was founded in 1886 and was chartered to build seven miles of track from the Old Colony Railroad Mainline in Harwich, MA to Chatham along with a yard and three stations. Service on the Chatham Railroad ceased in 1937, however, the railroad depot in Chatham remained and became the home of the Chatham Railroad Museum & still serves in that capacity today.

Yesterdays Trails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.