Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
I don't think they're doing CSX in this run. CSXs dash 9s were different, in that many, if not all of them were in dash 8 carbodies, with the older trucks. And Atlas Dash8-40CW would be closer to a CSX dash 9.

Boris

Beach Bum
'd like to weigh in on the recent topics. I'm hoping for another ice age then they might be showing more CURLING on tv. A nice glass of Jameson, a copy of MR and rocks gliding across ice.:)

Dave: For sure, NBC Sports Network, has CURLING on a regular basis, believe ESPN does also? Maybe some Crown Royal?

I can go for a nice glass of Makers Mark, a copy of RMC, and rocks of ice in the glass! :rolleyes:;)
Karl: Now you're talking. Incidentally, the new RMC arrived here today, now to brave the cold to go to the local liquor store, appropriately named "Winoland". Again, you can't make this stuff up! :rolleyes:

Curt: Fine work! the roof looks good.

Terry: Nice!

Boris

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Currently the dash 9 is tooling around the layout with a short MOW train in tow.
It's one of the scaletrains models, DCC ready, that I promptly put a Loksound select decoder in. I have a call out to them now, it seems the factory decoder is a Loksound V5 (!). I can't get some of the lights to work using my Select. There are plenty of functions that are unassigned, I hope they didn't do something dumb, like making something only a $150 sound decoder will operate just to be on the bleeding edge, when the one I have has plenty of functions left over.

CambriaArea51

I don't think they're doing CSX in this run. CSXs dash 9s were different, in that many, if not all of them were in dash 8 carbodies, with the older trucks. And Atlas Dash8-40CW would be closer to a CSX dash 9.
Csx Dash 9 was a half breed between A dash 8 body and trucks and dash 9 electronics.CSX made the jump to The AC4400 they only had 24 dash 9 I believe.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
People are worried about climate change and global warming...I'm worried about my vodka and beer freezing in the garage.

The beer distributors stopped beer deliveries today because they are concerned about the beer freezing in the delivery trucks!!!

Greg

tootnkumin

Staff member
Currently the dash 9 is tooling around the layout with a short MOW train in tow.
It's one of the scaletrains models, DCC ready, that I promptly put a Loksound select decoder in. I have a call out to them now, it seems the factory decoder is a Loksound V5 (!). I can't get some of the lights to work using my Select. There are plenty of functions that are unassigned, I hope they didn't do something dumb, like making something only a $150 sound decoder will operate just to be on the bleeding edge, when the one I have has plenty of functions left over.
Before I bought the Gevo T4 DCC ready, I did some reading through Scale Train's website blurb on them. On there it said only a V4 would access all the functions, It seems the "motherboard" that the 21 pin decoder plugs into has additional software that enhances the decoder (adds functions) and will only work with that decoder. (I have read that a V5 was out, so it sounds like they are already installing that) It did state also that the Loksound Select is not capable of the same access, and like all other 21 pin decoders, will only give basic function capability.

Boris

Beach Bum
it said only a V4 would access all the functions, It seems the "motherboard" that the 21 pin decoder plugs into has additional software that enhances the decoder (adds functions) and will only work with that decoder. (I have read that a V5 was out, so it sounds like they are already installing that) It did state also that the Loksound Select is not capable of the same access, and like all other 21 pin decoders, will only give basic function capability.

Ray, Terry:
Appears that the technology is outrunning the capability of lower priced decoders. Rapidly exceeding my capability to comprehend, for sure. Sure is a nice looking engine, though.

Boris

tootnkumin

Staff member
Here's a Youtube link to removing the shell from one of their DCC ready Gevo T4's. It does at least show the layout of the wiring to motherboard and the amount of room available. I came to the conclusion, that to use any other decoder than a V4 (now V5?) would be to delete the motherboard and do a hardwire of the alternative decoder.

tootnkumin

Staff member
I see you got the ditch lights to flash. It did seem that might not be an option with other brands of decoders.

Bruette

Good morning Everybody!

It's 9 with clear skies in southeast Baltimore. I don't normally mention my local weather. but it's not normally single digit temperatures!

It's 24 on my enclosed back porch and I noticed my thermometer goes all the way down to -40, no need for that in the mid-Atlantic, thank God!

Boris

Beach Bum
Good morning y'all. right now @ 0544 its 2° and windy. For the Jersey Coastal Region, that's cold. On the average, this only happens every couple of years, but this is the second occurrence of single digits this winter. The last prolonged cold spell was in 1994, and I was working a night job. It came after three milder than usual winters in a row, and the Division Superintendent decided not to budget for snow and cold. Surprise!

I had a rather restless night, which is becoming a pattern. Not sure why, but I don't like it.

Stay warm!

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.