Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone:....................Snowing and just came up from the basement after troublesome day working on the trains.

I ran two trains on the mainline and then decided to run the switcher coupled with a car that has a Masonite track cleaning pad on the mine spur while the trains ran on the main. I was sitting maybe 10 feet away from the locomotive and I never paid any attention to the way the turnouts were set and the locomotive ran a turnout which shut down the entire layout. At first I thought I had a turnout that wasn't behaving then I found out it was operator error that cause the derailment!

I'll have to learn to follow the signals that I mounted on the mount structure to indicate the turnout positions on the mine spur.

There is a area under the layout by a couple of terminals that are rat's nests of wires and I decided today that I would make the wiring more professional looking. Nearby and its wiring sharing a terminal is a sound effects module for a herd of cows that are in a pasture by the mainline. A mini-toggle switch on the main line operates the sound module. Also, in this area is wiring for the mine, lighting and signals. After I rewired the mess everything worked except the cow module.

Another project for another day.

I should of tested the cow sound module like I did for the lights and signals before I did the work and when wild with a wire cutters and rerouting wires.

I did glue in place a piece of ground foam in an area that basically out of reach for me and I need to use a kitchen thongs to place the ground foam. This project as been avoided for months, but is now completed. There several other smaller areas that are closer and are sort of within reach that need more ground foam that during the next work session that I'll glue in place.

Chet: Yes, that load of fine Montana Sour Mash Whiskey arrived, but there were several bottles missing from a case. Please have a talk with your loading crew. We'll send the Logan Valley box car back on the next west bound Northern Pacific bound freight.

You're lucky to have Ginger follow you around like she does and she doesn't stray away. The last two dogs we had would stay with me but tended to wander if distracted if they saw another dog or human. At the cabin, Katie would make a bee line to the truck hoping I wouldn't leave her alone. She loved to go on deer rides, but was afraid of bears. New puppy soon, a rescue dog for sure.

Curt: Thanks for the compliment on the photograph.

Sherrel:
Your photograph would make a nice Christmas card if wasn't October 8, 2018.

Almost Miller Time.

Greg

#################################

Boat.jpg

Not railroad related and I don't know where I got this photograph of a kit bashed boat.

Joe- The road pavers around here (hate them) have many different colors but all of them subdued. What I would do for the actual crossing would be to use writing tablet cardboard as a template for the correct sizes and then transfer that onto the paver sheet.
Curt: Thanks, that's a good idea. I'm planning on using wood to make up the crossing, but the same template will work for cutting wood also.
Sidewalk was finished on the other side, I'll upload the photo tomorrow.

oe .... You mentioned Zappos. ... My wife loves their outlet store in Shepherdsville, KY near Louisville. We stop there from time to time, and she takes advantage of their super low prices. . As you said they are owned by Amazon. I recall when Amazon bought Zappos. Amazon has added more big buildings in Shepherdsville. The outlet store now has clothing in addition to shoes.

That's great. My wife has a small foot, and has trouble finding shoes that fit. Most of the local Retailers including Nordstrom no longer carry her size, but Zappos is able to offer a large variety. Free shipping in both directions when a return is required helps.

oe - My weight also fluctuates 6-8 pounds in a week. A lot of my variance is based on how much and what I eat, exercise doesn't seem to have any effect. I'll drop 8 pounds and then go out to eat at my local Italian restaurant and gain most back (leftovers!) within a few days. I can lose but just can't keep it off.:mad:

Willie: I hear ya. Exercise doesn't seem to matter with me either, and it's not so much the volume of food either. Could be water, but I do not have the problems usually associated with fluids. I suppose, there is a reason for it, but it's beyond me.

Just finished watching an entertaining Hockey game between San Jose, and Washington. SJ won in overtime 7-6, after tying the game with 0:002 if time left in regulation. Two Hat Tricks, no defense, and lousy goaltending. Very entertaining. Thank y'all for sharing those fantastic photos of Colorado, Montana and Maryland. Sherrel, Chet, Karl and Louis, and anyone I missed.

Boris

Esskay Orioles Franks — a Baltimore mainstay — to disappear soon from Camden Yards, store shelves. Baltimore Sun
1548239364152.png

1548239542350.png

1548239108138.png

1548239080732.png

1548239498831.png

My thoughts; In recent years Esskay was owned and produced by Smithfield Meats. The Baltimore meat plant was closed, but the products did not change. Smithfield stayed true Esskay's process and recipes.

When the Chinese bought out Smithfield the recipe stayed the same but the process for making the franks changed. I had not enjoyed them since. Last year they discontinued the Esskay Silver label ham, a staple at my Christmas dinner for most of my life.

Life goes on, I discovered Ball Park and franks and I love them. Oscar Myer is good too, so I buy whichever is on sale. Rather than buy a whole Esskay Silver label ham for over $2/lb. I buy two half hams (butt portions) whatever brand is on sale for under $1/lb. So far I have not been disappointed and my kids never noticed the difference. I carve the hams before bringing them to the table.

Maybe I should thank the Chinese for saving me money?

I got use to not seeing this guy a long time ago.
1548240443483.png

Last edited:
8-10 below this morning. The 6-8 inches of snow we got on Monday has really improved how winter looks around here as the old snow had frozen rain on top of it. Don't look at the left side of this photo as that side is not completed. This photo shows the last bridge I built on my layout. The trestle part is scratch built from 1/8th inch diameter doweling and balsa strip wood. The track is code 83 Micro-Engineering Bridge track. The Girder Bridge to the left is an Atlas bridge cut apart, with a Marklin Truss bridge center section that the Girders are glued to. Since the rest of the layout is Code 100, I needed to purchase a couple sections of Code 83 to Code 100 transition tracks, on either side of the approach ends of the bridge. It was a fun project and I discuss how it was done in my thread on my Northern Pacific Layout in the Forum topic "Virtual Layout Tours" From Post # 76 to Post # 104.
HPIM7346 (Small).JPG

8-10 below this morning. The 6-8 inches of snow we got on Monday has really improved how winter looks around here as the old snow had frozen rain on top of it. Don't look at the left side of this photo as that side is not completed. This photo shows the last bridge I built on my layout. The trestle part is scratch built from 1/8th inch diameter doweling and balsa strip wood. The track is code 83 Micro-Engineering Bridge track. The Girder Bridge to the left is an Atlas bridge cut apart, with a Marklin Truss bridge center section that the Girders are glued to. Since the rest of the layout is Code 100, I needed to purchase a couple sections of Code 83 to Code 100 transition tracks, on either side of the approach ends of the bridge. It was a fun project and I discuss how it was done in my thread on my Northern Pacific Layout in the Forum topic "Virtual Layout Tours" From Post # 76 to Post # 104.
View attachment 33636

Great looking scene!

I know that many of you from the Little Latitudes (Southern Latitudes) wonder how it is that we Northerners can stand living up here where it can get so cold. It is cold here in Park Rapids, this morning (minus 8 degrees F) but, because there is no wind, it was easy to go out this morning and what a beautiful Morning it is!! I needed to carry mail down to our mail box and this is about 500 feet away from my house and normally a 5 minute round trip. However, the Moon is just slightly started to wane, so it is bright outside and Venus and Jupiter are down in the South East portion of the sky and there are high wispy clouds that allow the Stars, Planets and Moon to shine through. The snow is crisp and when you walk on, it it makes a crunching sound. I heard owls hooting and off in the far distance Coyotes where howling, at least I think they where Coyotes, as we do have Grey Wolves in the area. It is far more important to me to live a quarter mile from my nearest neighbor, have Deer, Turkeys, Grouse and small birds coming to my bird feeder, than it is to have a hobby shop close by in a large city! I feel fortunate that I could move away from the Twin Cities 41 years ago this month, be able to make a living and live in what I consider to be "God's Country"! What a wonderful start to my day!!

Good Morning All. 25° and partly cloudy, 32° cooler than at this time yesterday but 33° warmer than Mark's house this morning. Wasn't in the forecast, but we had on and off drizzle for a while yesterday before the winds shifted and this cold front blew in. Winds shift again tonight and then we have alternating mild and cool periods for the next ten days.
I only ran trains yesterday in the train shed. No motivation for any projects after Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez told us that the world was going to end in 12 years. I switched out 16 tankers at the ethanol processing facility, and ran out and back runs to two other towns for another 22 cars moved there.

Chet - Sounds like the Keto thing is working for your SIL. Instead of specific Keto recipes right now, I make most stuff normally and my wife just eats the parts that conform. I tried that almond flour yesterday and it's just OK. Last night I made tilapia piccata with pasta, salad and french bread, she skipped the pasta and bread but I reheated some leftover charcol-grilled squash that I made Saturday on the grill for her. Tonight it's pork carnitas with cheese and verde sauce (green salsa), a Mexican dish. She'll use low-carb flour tortillas while I'll use the real deal. I'll throw in some sausage/cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers for good measure. For breakfast, it's more bacon/sausage and eggs and no oatmeal or other gruel.
Yes, debt-free from credit cards is the way to go. We've been about 15 years now.
Greg -
After I rewired the mess everything worked except the cow module
I hate it when that happens
Mark - Great description regarding your outside conditions this morning. I felt the same way earlier today when I stepped out around 4:00 am and wandered around the yard. I have nearly the same situation except the neighbors (what few there are) are a bit further away. I love the fact that there are no streetlights to obscure the nighttime sky. Been watching that Venus/Jupiter conjunction for a few weeks now. The owls and coyotes are sometimes joined by the neighboring cows bellowing. While it's warmer here, there's wind most of the time. Hobby shop is 65 miles away, but that's considered close by in Texas.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Good morning everyone. 24 and cloudy. They predicted a coating of ice for this morning, but the roads are perfectly clear, even out in the country where we live. Several more rounds of wintry weather and colder temps are on their way.

Sherrel - that is a gorgeous photo of Silverton. Almost makes me want to move there. In my younger years, when I lived on Long Island and drove to Vermont every winter weekend to ski, I would have considered moving to a mountain area like Silverton but these days I don't know that I could take the cold. My blood's gotten thinner, I think.

Everyone - thank you for your continued prayers and well-wishes for my wife. Sure is hard to be away from her for so long, but she has great care there. Several on this forum have asked about these CTCA hospitals. I was like some of you at first - - "This is too good to be true. They pay flights, transportation, lodging, and meals, and they treat you like a human being rather than a head of cattle??" I guess I (and many of you) have become jaded over the years and can't believe there's an organization that actually puts people above profit, that is not our to rip you off. But the CTCA hospitals seem to be the real deal. Will keep you all posted.

Well, time for more coffee and a danish. Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back