Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. 37° and cloudy here.
Dave - Great to see you back. Many here have missed you.
Tom - Really great modules. Enjoy the show and thanks for the reports from there. Superb video of a fantastic unloader as well.
Joe -
Our biggest problem is uncompromising polarization, something that both sides are guilty of.
100% agreement!

Everyone have a great Sunday.

Good Morning all,

25 degress and snow. It wasn't much last night, just a light dusting. We are expecting 3-4 inches thru tonight. With the temps next week, and the longer days it should be gone again by next week.

Today is a recovery day. Yesterday my daughter had a Birthday party at the house. We had 11- 8 year old girls running around for 3 1/2 hours, and there was no place to go to get a moment of quiet. So today its off to Church, and breakfast.

Have a Great day all,

According to the insurance industry (there is a trust worth bunch) Baltimore followed by a close second DC has the worst drivers in the country.

Louis: According to the insurance industry, New Jersey has the worst drivers in the country. Industry statistics are "adjusted" to make each locale the worst to justify charging higher rates. It was the Insurance industry, that was behind all of the additional restrictions on young drivers, speed cameras, traffic light cameras, No fault (only applies to medical claims), Mandatory Insurance, Point systems etc. The Insurance industry lobbied to be able to use Fair Isaac Credit scoring as a rating tool, linking your ability to pay your bills to the way you drive. It's the insurance industry that is lobbying to for automated driverless carriage.

I belong to AAA and currently insure through them. Their periodic magazine opens with a message from the regional CEO, who brags about all their legislative activity, as if they are doing this to help us. Nada, Nyet. They are doing this to reduce payouts, and increase margins. Strictly a self serving activity. All of the speed cams in the world will not curtail accidents. All the traffic light cams will not stop accidents. Insurance companies are not Good Neighbors, no matter what the advertising campaign says. They are part of the problem, not the solution.

Boris

Last edited:
Good morning. It's cloudy and 37.
A couple of years ago, a friend got nabbed by a traffic light camera. There was a very clear photo of the car, license plate, and a picture of the front of the car, showing the driver.
It also had a very clear picture of the yellow light she was running. Obviously, she fought, and beat, the ticket.

Good morning. 9 degrees to start off the day and it will probably also be the high for the day. Back to the deep freeze with lows for most of next week in the minus teens. We did get up into the mid 40's yesterday and I ran the plow around the driveway to clean up a few inches of snow that had accumulated during the week.

Dave - Great to see you back in here. Sorry to hear that you lost photos. When the new web site was started, I also lost scores of photos. Bob has no idea what happened to them I have to go and update my Logan Valley post as so many photos were lost.

Tom - Thanks for posting so many photos form the train show. Looks like quite the show. Wish we had something like that up here. Not enough modelers and a long distance between towns.

Horseman - It was quite a tight fit for those locomotives in the Cascade tunnels. I have heard the same thing about the train crews.

I ran across some old photos of the Florida East Coast extension to Key West. Passed the bridges countless times going to out place in the Keys when we lived in Florida. We were thinking of taking a road trip to the keys until the shoulder surgery came up. Flagler was an important person in opening Florida up to the public.

Florida-East-Coast-Railway-in-Key-West.jpg

SevenMileBridgeFEC.jpg

TrainKWEPHT.jpg

Florida East Coast Railway causeway to Key West FL. 1928 Steam Engine.jpg

4890429271_d133935bd8_b.jpg

4888980600_5546c76d03_b.jpg

LongKeyPC.jpg

TRUMBISLTERM.jpg

Interesting history to the Key West extension. Flagler was hoping to haul freight from ships coming from South America up to cities on the east coast. Unfortunately this never came about, but his railroad did open not only Florida, but the keys to the country. Unfortunately, the hurricane that hit the keys in 1935 took out some of the bridges and the company did not have the funds to rebuild them. Many of the bridges still exist today and can be seen from US-1.

1200px-Overseas_Railroad.jpg

This last photo does look a but warmer than it is here. Darn shoulder.

The wife is up in Lewistown for a bowling tournament yesterday and today. I had to back out because of the bum shoulder, but if I would have gone, I would have missed the Daytona 500.

Here is my track photo for today.

daytona-500_176smrzwfpuhu1egeo2o99ohxt.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Boris:

My RDC without sound runs quiet. The manual states that you may hear some noise from the EMF in the decoder.

Greg

Good Morning Everyone......cloudy and snowing with 3-6 inches forecasted today. We'll have to call our snow plower to open the cabin after Cathy talked to some people who live near the cabin. We heard reports that it was a -57 degrees wild chill during the last cold spell. Lots of snow and the snow mobilers love it!

Going to work on the layout later before the Daytona 500. The Mrs. likes the race ever since she won the Grand Prize to attend a race at ChicagoLand Speedway. The event was held in the hospitality section and car driver Johnny Souter was the featured guest. Breakfast, lunch and an open bar all day with a guided tour of the pits. We had great seats, but I just had surgery and couldn't walk down or up stairs so the event sponsor arranged for me to sit up at the top of the grandstand with the race spotters. Great seats.

I'm an Indy car fan and my BIL won VIP passes to an Indy race at Road America and he gave them to us. Our passes allows complete access to the pits, the private dining areas and the winner's circle. Al Unser, while driving a cart almost hit Cathy! We could stand behind the barrier that sectioned out the various teams along pit road. The race teams work with precision and showed just how seriously the sport was taken.

I always wanted to race go karts and we drove our karts on the county roads until the local badge holder asked us to stop. It mattered little to him that some of us were driving vehicles at the age of 13.

Plan on some landscaping this morning to allow the RDC to run without problems.

Dave: Welcome back to the Forum.

Chet: Your picture of the Daytona 500 is a teaser for spring. When I watch the race I know that nice weather is only a couple of months away. Last year we had a huge snowstorm in mid or late April with over 24 inches of snow at the cabin.

Time to run.

Later....

Greg

###################

Last edited:
Skipped the show in Saline this weekend. It's a good show, but I'd just spend money on stuff I either already have or just don't need. The Worlds Greatest Hobby show is next weekend; I really want to go, but the same reasoning applies. Most of the trains I own have never run, and it's several thousand $ that I have sitting on shelves, unused.

Key West. Love that place! There's a really nice guest house, Angelina's, about halfway between the Hemingway house and Mallory Square, a couple of blocks off Duvall; a nice, quiet location. Used to be a brothel, and the rooms bear women's names instead of being numbered. Check out their web site! The drive to Key West is fun, the first time; after that, it's like walking on broken glass for 2-1/2 hours. And parking is a bitch, once you're there. Far better to leave your car in Miami and fly down. Taxis are plentiful, and it's a walking town, anyway.

Expecting 1-4" of snow in the next 24 hours. Gotta stock up on the usual supplies, then maybe I'll tackle the tables in the basement. The hard part is over, and the fun will start as soon as the wood is on the tables.
FB_IMG_1542653604525.jpg

Key West. Love that place! There's a really nice guest house, Angelina's, about halfway between the Hemingway house and Mallory Square, a couple of blocks off Duvall; a nice, quiet location. Used to be a brothel, and the rooms bear women's names instead of being numbered. Check out their web site! The drive to Key West is fun, the first time; after that, it's like walking on broken glass for 2-1/2 hours. And parking is a bitch, once you're there. Far better to leave your car in Miami and fly down. Taxis are plentiful, and it's a walking town, anyway.

We also enjoy Key West a lot. When we were living in the Miami area, we were at our place in Middle Torch Key just about every weekend. Only about 25 miles from key west, we got down there a lot. There is so much history down there and the place is like no other in the states. Back in the 70's we got to meet Mel Fisher, the treasure hunter, at the Pier House. Great food and a great place to watch the sunset. Did get to visit there a few years ago when we got down there. Unfortunately, it is a bit of a hike for us from up here. Bummer we had to cancel our road trip due to the bum shoulder.

I bought my first piece of Spanish treasure at Mel's museum; an 8-real piece, present value ~$2400. A really fun daytrip is the boat ride to Fort Jefferson, in the Dry Tortugas; just be sure you buy tickets for the larger boat, otherwise you'll be confined to your seat the entire two-hour trip. We also have a couple of pieces of original art from there. Then, there's the pirate museum, and the evening buskers show on Mallory Square. The Hemingway House is a tad pricey, but well worth it. And the food! Ah, the food... Otherwise, just get out on the streets and enjoy tha ambiance, and try to stay sober.

Chet & Beady:

Years ago Cathy and I were able to meet several members of Mel Fisher's dive team. There was a gold bar on display that if I could carry it out to my car I could keep it...no way could even move the bar, it must of weighed over 200 pounds of dead weight.

I did buy for Cathy a set of earrings and a necklace made from silver from the Atocha that sunk the Florida coast in 1422.

A great piece of history.

Greg

Last edited:
The layout room was in the mid-60's and I have a nice cold...so I'm taking the rest of the day off. I took a cold pill which makes me sort of tired. So I hope that the Daytona 500 keeps me awake.

I don't know why the layout room is colder this year than most other years. This end of the basement is partially below grade with the floor grade approximately two feet below the exterior grade, but the concrete block walls are frame on the inside with 2X4's and three and a half inches of insulation.

About the only things I did in the layout room was put away the cartoons of spare floor tiles that Cathy brought for me. I should purchase one more carton of tiles. I re-read the RDC manual and learned a few more details on the car.

Later..........

Greg

Good afternoon all,

Back in the routine!

Willie--Thanks!
Chet--Thanks too! Love the old photos (still)
Louis old pal, good to be back!
Greg--good to hear from you too!

All the other old timers-- will slowly catch up

Great to see new people here as well!
Not working on the projects like I was back in 2016, but have some small things I will be sharing on my thread.

Here is a gem off the old layout. I took so many photos back then that I find ones I can't recall:

anewgroup 085 red.jpg

I didn't often get to this corner of the old layout. One of the last things I finished before tearing it down!

more later,

Afternoon All,

After some chores I watched 2 weathering roof videos, one from the kit manufacturer and the other Kathy Milatt. Both said to brush on 91% RA after I was done with the powders. I'm not sure I like that effect. I attached the billboards and finally cut boards for the last part of the build the lean to shed for shoeing horses. In my detail stuff I found a horse trailer and several horses.

Tonight the family is taking my Dad out for his 86th birthday. I'm embarrassed to say that we have lived in central FL for 24 years and have never been to the Keys! o_OEvery time we talk about it something else comes up or we decide to do something else instead.

Chet- Phil should really like the FEC pictures.

Dave- That sure looks cold outside the train.

Greg- Sounds like a heck of a RDC.

Tom- The rotary dump is outstanding and a great looking modular layout.

Garry- Continued prayers for your MIL and safe travels. How old is your MIL?

Louis- It sounds like you need the overhead electronic toll takers we have locally. Some places still have people taking tolls that you can exit to, but most exits will just bill you if you don't have a electronic pass.

LASM- Good to see you back and nice layout shot.

20190217_133623-2016x980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

And, it begins:
20190217_154314.jpg

I had originally planned for three 4'x8' sections, arranged in a U shape. I looks, however, like I'll have to settle for an L, with perimeter measurements of 12x4x8x4x4x8 feet. Have to leave space to move around, after all, especially near the ciruit breaker box.
20190217_175309.jpg

This is N scale, after all, and everything is supposed to be movable, so what I can't do in one iteration, I'll just have to do in another. Anyway, I'm at a halt until I can get back to Home Depot; I need some brackets so i can even out the edges from board to board:
15504450051643623039356770144665.jpg

I'm bushed! I didn't realize how far out of shape I've let myself get; no stamina at all. Where's that Tequila?

My RDC without sound runs quiet. The manual states that you may hear some noise from the EMF in the decoder.

Thanks Greg, My unit is a tad noisy.

Dave, (L&S Man). Good to see your back with us.

Beady: These things happen, eh? Enjoy the tequila. ;)

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back