Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost forgot this is a train forum!
1550061907126.png

Good morning everyone. 28 and partly sunny out there (or partly cloudy - depends on your disposition, I guess). Will hit 60 today and tomorrow, then the bottom drops out again.

Absolutely nothing to report from the train room. Oh, yeah - - I went down there and looked at the layout - - does that count? Not long now until my wife comes home. She'll be pretty tired when she gets here, but I'm planning a welcome home/Valentine's party with the family.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 36° and clear. Expect mid-60's later today, mid-70's tomorrow. Headed out this morning for the quarterly visit to the doctor, who will tell me to lose weight. Not much else going on around here. When I went for a walk yesterday, I went north for the first time in about three weeks, the incessant rains and shifting ground have ruined about 125' of road fronting my property in that direction. The asphalt overlay has crumbled away on the east side and the west side has sunk 8"-10" in response to the increased traffic shifting over to the that side. We're not due for a re-pave until 2020, so the county (after I call them) will scrape everything away and dump a few loads of caliche/crushed rock mixture down as a temporary surface until then.
Thanks for the additional comments regarding "Four-Fingered Tony's Meat Market"; Curt, Chet and anyone else out there.

Minimal activity in the train shed yesterday, as it was my wife's birthday. I did do about 30 minutes of switching while she napped.

Speaking of driving, when I worked, I drove 12 miles to get to the Interstate over two very good paved state roads with 55 mph limits. Most days I drove the entire 12 miles without seeing another car in either direction. This was between 5:15 and 5:30 am. The next 35 miles on the Interstate could vary greatly. The trip home was not as good, usually I hit the school zone in the afternoon. The "pull out and drive slowly" seems to be a universal phenomenon, people are just not cognizant of the ripple effect. Usually met with blaring horns or waving guns here in Texas!
Louis - Glad to read that Tucker has recovered.
Mark- I was going to respond to one of your posts, but I cannot find it now. It seems that MTV has encroached on the forum.
Beady - Watch out, take care and hope yesterday's work-out doesn't bite back too hard.
Curt - You have really done a great job on the loading dock.
Chet - I had to read up on that "total reverse shoulder replacement " procedure, as I had never heard of it before. No more complex than the regular procedure. Good luck if that's the path that you choose.
Karl - I have to agree with you. LZ just got played way too much, starting with Whole Lotta Lovin'. I can still listen to their first album without feeling that way.
Ray - Pretty interesting about the burning cattle pens. I see spontaneous combustion with hay bales all of the time, but never a cattle pen.
Terry -
For music, I have a collection of several thousand songs, from Religious to acid rock to classical to easy listening to new country.
When I hit the "shuffle" button, it is a very interesting selection.
Pretty much the same here except I have no country. I have downloaded approximately 40,000 songs on my iPod (out of 65,000 on the computer), and shuffle can be quite eclectic.

Time for me to move on. Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
Beady, Wow! What a great song! Really captures the worthlessness of WAR! My firm belief is that the S.O.Bs. who make the decision to go to war should be the first BLANKs to lead the charge!
I think it was in the book version of All Quiet on the Western Front where one of the characters suggest locking all the heads of state into a room together, armed with clubs; whoever survived would win the war.

Howdy everyone!

Chet, Boris, Sherrel, Louis, Greg: Thanks for appreciating the photos!
Ray: Very interesting story!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Led Zep was always in my top 5 favorite bands and I also got burned out on Stairway to Heaven, etc.
I didn't listen to them for a few years until last summer. I was on You Tube and found John Paul Jones - Going To California - Excellent! JPJ came out with a album in 1999 titled Zooma, that I didn't know about. If you like something a little different - give it a listen

Good morning, everybody .

Louis and Karl .... Your Western Maryland photos look great.

Johnny .... It sounds like a wonderful homecoming for Dena. Praying she will fully recover .

Willie .... A late happy birthday to your wife !

Have a great day everybody !

Good morning!!
It's 53 degrees and partly sunny!

KARL -- love the 2-10-0's; Frisco had a gaggle of those and they were loved by their crews.

Louis - That's an unbelievable amount of staples that Tucker had! So glad for you, and him, that he is recovering great.
Please try and control your music postings --- sorry, NOT A FAN; my son thought he was going to burst onto the "metal" circuit - and I had my fill of that clashing and banging all through his teenage years. The WM RS units is a great photo!

CURT - Just a magnificent job on the warehouse! An outstanding build.

Willie - Happy belated birthday to Arlene -- (hope I spelled her name correctly, I am terrible remembering people's names)
AND - Your layout pics are great - keep them coming.

TOOT -- You have a bit of everything there - floods, fires … now burning ground?

JOHNNY -- Happy congrats to your spouse. You better get the house cleaned up and all the pots and pans you cooked with - cleaned up!

I hear California cancelled the High Speed Rail Project. .... How much did they spend so far, and what will they do with parts that were constructed ?

Good morning. 27 degrees and overcast to start the day. A cup of black coffee and an apple turnover please.

Needed to use the snowblower to dig out the tractor out of a snowdrift yesterday. Once it was out, it only took around 20 minutes to get the driveway in shape. Accuweather and the weather channel bot are giving winter weather advisories. with lots of snow.. The local radio station forecast is giving the chance of a couple of inches of snow. I'll believe my weather rock as accuweather has not been very accurate.

Louis - Great photo of those Alcos.

Karl - Nice photo of the WM decapod. Sweet.

Here's one of my favorite locomotives, mainly because I got to ride on a few. Their last duties were as helpers out of Livingstoin to the top of Bozeman Pass. They couldn't go any further west because they were too big to pass through the tunnel at the top of the pass. They were all scrapped after this.

NP_5003a-1.jpg

Garry - I did hear that the high speed rail program was scrapped in California. Never made any sense. Not much make any sense out there. I'm sure that Sherrel can attest to that.

Johnny -
Great to hear that Dena is coming home. Hope her recovery continues.

Here's a rail photo for today.

train-track-wallpapers-37960-38830-hd-wallpapers.jpg

Later

Good morning y'all.

The weather here in the south is being the weather here in the south. This week it's cold and wet. Last week it was sunny and 80 degrees. Gotta love it!

Nothing major to report on the train front. Added another N scale dummy F unit for the maintenance facility. Also some trucks and trailers for the new trucking company that will be opening up shop. Still no progress on the layout. Trying to decide on a plan that allows for two industries, a small town scene, switching opportunities, as well as a loop that will allow direction change. I can probably extend my available space from 2x4 to 3x5, but that's probably the maximum I can run right now. I'll try to post a sketch of what I have in mind later. Gotta get back to work so I can afford to buy layout materials.

Y'all have a good day. If today's lunch special is good, I may pop back in later.

I hear California cancelled the High Speed Rail Project. .... How much did they spend so far, and what will they do with parts that were constructed ?
Garry, I watch the Sacramento news station every day and it sounds like they want to complete the line from Bakersfield to Merced since it has been well under way for a while. The other sections will be put on hold for the time being. These politicians (morons) out here have no clue of the real world.
Dave

Good Afternoon Everyone.....sunny, but chilly here in Wisconsin. A light dusting of snow overnight.

Very little to report today. Heading down to the trains later and I may start the last Cornerstone Background building I have left to build. The layout room has been unusually cool lately with temperatures in the low 60's. Hope the room warms up a bit. I may have to use a space heater.

I'm planning a rail fanning trip to Du Plainville, Wisconsin on the next sunny Winter day. Hope to see some action on the CP and CN mainlines.

Speaking of locomotives, I wish more model manufactures would offer dummy locomotives. I know the reasons that the supply is limited, but I could use a couple since my reversing loop section an handle only two short locomotives. I could run a powered with a dumb locomotive.

Chet: Nice collection of ALCO RS locomotives in your favorite locomotive Thread posting.

Mike: How do your Scale Trains locomotives run? As good as they look?

Tomorrow, I'll be near the freight yards in Milwaukee's Menomonee Valley and I hope to see some switching action. You never know what type of motive power that maybe operating.

I saw the prototype for my HO scale "SOO Bandit" the former Milwaukee locomotive #1548 several years ago. A friend of mine also photographed the locomotive. This old Work Horse has made it around the area.

1548 Actual Loco.jpg

Time to run....later.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back