Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not pertaining to this article, but my mother's aunt lived a couple of blocks from the tracks in Naperville, Illinois. Whenever Mom and my grandmother went to visit, Mom was cautioned to stay away from the tracks because, if the Zephyr came by, she could be sucked onto the tracks and killed. Obviously it was just a story to keep Mom away from the tracks, but the kicker is that, at 91 years old, she still believes it.

Interesting .....

Naperville was the scene of the 1946 Burlington train crash that killed 45 people and injured 125. .... a train going 80 mph rammed the rear of a standing train. .... E5's were involved in that crash, too.

43591268911_f8f53beb11_b.jpg

Good Afternoon Everyone...........sunny and still cold with below zero tonight and snow coming.

I have several locomotives currrently on the layout with Tsunami sound decoders and when the Digitrax system applies power to the tracks, the engines spring into life with their engine sounds. Then, I have to turn off the sound in each individual locomotive. But, today I programmed CV 166 to 7 and no engine start up when power is applied.

While the locomotives were off the layout I cleaned the locos' wheels, sprayed cleaned the dust off and installed Kadee Whisker couplers. A job that needed to be done. Next are the LokSound equipped locomotives.

Found neat features of the Tsunami decoders that I neeed to check on like grade crossing bells and horn.

Re-installed the mine hopper with new details added.

Worked on a new billboard sign that has an adult theme.....no kids see the layout or I even doubt they would understand the message.

Tomorrow is another day.

Greg

Good Morning Everyone. 20° and mostly cloudy. Three or four days ago it was 81°. Not expected to get this cold again in the next ten days, probably not until next winter actually. Gradual warmup with temperatures in the 60's beginning Monday for about another week at least. Our average daily range for this time of year is 35° - 58°. Sadly, the ground outside is quite mushy from two days of rain and I cannot plant anything in the garden.
I spent a few hours out in the train shed yesterday. I am continuing to add more ground cover, and I did the second half of the meat market parking area. Did a little weathering on the slaughterhouse part with weathering powders and finally attached the loading dock stairs and subsequently the loading dock to the structure, since I had determined the final positioning in regard to the adjoining market.

Joe - I know what you mean regarding the sick people at the infusion center. Sad in some respects.
Good luck with your taxes. I respectfully disagree with one minor point in your post #319. All of the middle class folks that I know and informally polled over the last year have reported lower taxes, even though many didn't realize it until I suggested comparing their deposits with the previous year. I don't know any upper class folks to ask! What will bite you, Louis, Sherrel and others in high tax states is the reduction or elimination of the SALT deduction. I and all who I polled live in Texas where there is no state or city income tax. Otherwise I agree regarding the underachievers et al. See rant below.
Mike - That is one crazy drunk jumping aboard the engine. Wow! So many lives were put in danger.
Greg - You're certainly making some progress "re-habbing" the layout.

While we're discussing taxes, let me relate one "free-loader" that my wife prepared taxes for yesterday. This single mother of four worked four months and earned $12,000 last year and had $175 withheld. She could have worked all year since her mother who lived in her house, cared for her kids, but admitted to my wife that the 12K was the limit before they started cutting her benefits. Now that the tax return is finished, she is getting a check for $7600 from you and me. Call it laziness, gaming the system or all of the above, it just isn't right. If that lady worked 12 months, she would have earned over $36,000, well above poverty level; and well above the $19,600 that she will actually earn, and probably still wouldn't have to pay taxes. My wife hates doing these types of returns.

Today would have been my late dad's 90th birthday. Sadly Lucky Strikes called him home fifteen years ago.
Everybody have a great day. Today is National Boy Scout Day. I was one sometime in the last century.

Willie: It's most always unfortunate to lose a parent and in this case your father, but it's nice to remember him as you as you enjoyed him.
I went through Boy Scouts too, learned a great deal of useful info !

We have seen that several times, here it is again incase you missed it.
View attachment 34203

Louis:. Be careful, per the director of vital statistics in Hawaii, 'A Certificate of Live Birth,' as you posted is Not Proof of Citizenship nor is it a Birth Certificate! Barry Satoro, (Barry Obama) in his own words as well as from Michelle, both stated he was born in Kenya, not Hawaii or the U.S!!

Good evening. It's cloudy and 48.
Something happened today that I haven't seen before. Today, Dell decided the desktop computer that had failed repeatedly was beyond economical repair, and they are sending me a new replacement. They overnighted it, but with the weekend, it won't be here until Monday.
I used to have an iMac, however, I discovered with the new systems and new operating system, bootcamping it became an exercise in futility. There is a small handful of programs and games/simulations that are only available in the Windows environment, so I sold the Apple desktop, and purchased a nice Dell for about half what I sold the other one for. Hopefully the new Dell will work as intended, I about wore out their warranty department with the first one.

Today, Dell decided the desktop computer that had failed repeatedly was beyond economical repair, and they are sending me a new replacement. They overnighted it, but with the weekend, it won't be here until Monday.

Terry: That's a pleasant surprise, eh?

Boris

Cold again! Minus 28 degrees. Winds -0- MPH out of the North. Barometer Three Zero point Eight Eight, trending downward. Sky is cloudy with very light snow. Obviously to the rest of you weather is not as important as it is to me, as you give no details.

Last night, at right around business close, our furnace quit working! With the cold predicted, all of a sudden the weather became extremely important to me! A phone call to my local Plumbing and Heating Professional listed their "After Hours, Emergency" phone number. The person answering the phone, listed off items to check. When this was completed and nothing helped, he explained that we would be getting an emergency charge on the bill. That charge, what ever it will be, will be far less than the cost of letting the house freeze until Regular Business hours on Monday! He was here, discovered our fan motor was shot and replaced it with another.

The house never even got down to 55 degrees before the furnace was up and running again. I'd rather not pay the cost of the emergency call. However, furnaces are programmed to never quit during regular business hours, so what are you going to do? Yes, the weather is important to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Saturday gang,
Got to work a few hours today, be home by mid-afternoon. Going to carry in some firewood before the storm comes at the end of the weekend. Then maybe I can play with trains! Later gang!

Good morning Everybody!

I spilled a 24oz cup of coffee on the desk in the family room. I thought I cleaned it all up, but I had missed some that dripped onto the power strip. Next thing I know my monitor is going goofy alternating between normal display, blank screen, green screen, red screen and blue screen. Looks like a I have a repair order in the que!

I'm using my computer in my train room/office/play pen.

Mark, I'm glad to hear you got your furnace working. Mine gave out on new years eve :) seems mishaps never happen a t a good time.

Terry, that is great to hear about Dell doing the right thing. Back in the days when I built and sold my own brand of computers I had a motherboard that would work for a month or two then give up. I never repaired customer computers, it was simpler to replace it right off the bat. Saving their data was a PITA, but I had happy customers. I would bench test and repair systems that failed and sell them as remanufactured. Every time I benched tested that system it was good! Finally I used it and after five or six failures over months I finally found an intermittent bad connection on the motherboard. Maybe when the stars aligned, room temperature, humidity was just right and the barometric pressure was at a specific level it would fail. :) I don't know, but sometimes problems can hard to find.

Turned out the problem with my furnace was intermittent bad connections on the circuit board, I replaced the board and it has worked perfectly ever since. Thank God because my hands were not looking forward to making wiring harnesses.

I need a break, I wore myself out trying to find my computer repair things, no luck but I did find a laptop I can use. Now to bring it up-to-date, I wonder how long that will take?!

Now to bring it up-to-date, I wonder how long that will take?!
If it's Windoze 10, probably 2.5 hours, depending on your internet connection. Microsoft now sends out complete operating systems through the internet twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back