Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My report about the farmers welcoming the rain up in northwestern Queensland after the years of drought has been short lived. The pictures of cattle, drowned in their pens and yards, has brought home the reality of how disastrous this 1 in 100 year weather event has been.

Toot .... Sorry to hear that. ... It sounds terrible.

Toot .... Sorry to hear that. ... It sounds terrible.

It's been bad up there and there's still flash flooding warnings out on some of the major rivers. The weather system is moving out into the Coral Sea, but not expected to clear until after this weekend. Only 2 human fatalities and they were trying to break into a liquor store and got swept into drains. Not sure if it was the same occasion, but 2 police officers had to be rescued by swift water teams, when their car got caught. Seems people took notice of the flooding advice, this time. The cleanup is going to be massive.

Over in Western Australia, they're celebrating a bumper Wheat crop. In Tasmania they got a bit of light rain. Son and DIL are back in their house at the moment, but said 2 houses were lost recently on the town's rural outskirts. They said the fires could go on for weeks yet.

Little bit on the News about the City of Townsville, up in the north. It has received a years worth of rain in a week from the Monsoon effect. The "event" is being classed as a 1 in 100 year. While it is causing a major disaster on the coast, in western Queensland, that hasn't seen rain in years, it's a major blessing. It will be interesting to see how much of that water finds it's way down to Lake Eyre in outback South Australia, which is below sea level.

Ray: That sure sounds like a lot but what is the seasons total ? After I posted I read where they had flash floods so it must have been a fairly considerable amount !

Last edited:
Good morning Everybody!

What a difference a day can make! I worked yesterday and I have a much better outlook today. I'm grateful that I can pay taxes. No good comes from whining crying or complaining.

Amazon sent me to deliver only minutes from my home yesterday. I got paid for 4 hours and worked an hour and a half. When I got the route I thought "oh no 95 north through the Fort McHenry tunnel at 3:30pm, this is not good". There is construction on the old Harbor Tunnel and the Key Bridge would be 20 minutes out of my way, forget about cutting through downtown.

I also worried because I had two apartments to deliver to. "if they have a security system and I can't get into the building or contact the customer, I'll have to drive past my house 20 miles back to Amazon to return the undeliverable packages".

As it turned out I worried for nothing. The project to add lanes north of the Fort McHenry tunnel was complete and the congestion at the tolls only cost me 5 minutes! This is why I pay state taxes and tolls! :)

The apartment buildings had no security on the entrance doors and I know this part of town like the back of my hand, I was home an hour and a half before my block ended, I'm getting paid to eat dinner and watch TV, life is good!

I turn on the TV to watch as I eat the spagetti my little girl made and I see a story about Russia's new super sonic missile system. I thought, good thing I pay federal taxes too!

I'm fat and happy, why do I get myself so worked up? I can't change the world by worrying. I remind myself of my credo "do your best and let God worry about the rest"

The sad news was Frank Robinson has passed away, but he is with God now and we all have to go sometime.
1549622542093.png

Good Morning all,

It’s 2 degrees with a stiff 22mph wind. Just cuts right through you! O you going to hit 11 degrees today. Going to be in the freeze for a couple of days, but looks like it will rebound towards Sunday.

Have a great day!

Good morning....It warmed up enough to melt the ice before the wind picked up and cooled everything back down.
Train show next weekend,looks like the club will have a big layout.I can run some long trains.:)

Louis: Prosecutors have always determined what laws they choose to enforce, and when they were going to enforce them. Here in Monmouth, our county prosecutor will not prosecute burglary, auto theft of other property crimes...his reason, that's why we buy insurance. Politicians, and all prosecutors here are political appointees, have no respect for the people or the law, only their career and how to enhance it.

Louis: The folks in PG and Montgomery Counties see Baltimore as another world. They are Washingtonians, and think the same way as Baltimoreans but in the opposite way.

Sherrel: The difference is that we were "promised" a Middle Class Tax Cut, by El Supremo. Instead we gained a Middle Class Tax Increase. At the same time those very successful and wealthy folks in neighborhoods I'm not allowed to drive through, have really great reductions in their taxes...Increased withholding, is still a tax increase. I am really curious as to how our marginal tax rate will fare, compared to last year, and the year before. Right now, my moneys on a tax increase, and I'm not happy with El Supremo. I'm long tired of subsidizing the underachievers among us, the Farmers, the Corporations and the Wealthy, all the while they are telling us that we will have to have our retirements and retirement benefits cut for the greater good.

Boris

Boris I just don't get it, the law is the law, it seems simple to me. I think you nailed, (as usual) Baltimore city's states attorney is trying to make a name for herself. She is the female dog that tried to prosecute, but failed to convict the Police officers for Freddy (life-long criminal, drug addict, violent drug dealer and all around scum bag) Grey. Who's family got millions in a settlement with the city for the low-life's death! The city settled the wrongful death suit because they were afraid if the officers were convicted the cost would have been much higher. I bet that money is gone, it ended up in somebody's arm or up in smoke.

The Baltimore sun did an independent investigation. Freddy killed himself flopping like a fish to fake injury so that he would be taken to the hospital for pain medication. He went to far and broke his own neck. Another prisoner in the wagon testified to it. It was in the police reports. She knew Freddy killed himself! Her bogus prosecution to appease idiots and gain fame cost the city millions! Worst of all she recently was reelected!

We need to read the news papers, the local TV news just goes along to get along. Not just local TV, much of the national TV often only tells us what they think we want to hear. Right wing TV, Left Wing TV, It's all about advertising and ratings. As you have said many times.

I don't think most Washingtonians even think of Baltimore, they could careless. Many Washingtonians have a superiority complex while many Baltimoreans have an inferiority complex.

Since Amazon moved to near the airport I do a lot of deliveries inside and outside the DC Beltway, it's not much difference. The only difference I have seen is the rich neighborhoods of DC are super rich. The middle and lower classes are the same.

I delivered to a rich neighborhood inside the DC beltway. They not only had a guard and gate at the entrance, but every intersection had gates! I had never seen that before. If I were young I'd be tempted to jump the fence and bang on their doors just to mess with them. Show them they have a false sense of security. That fat boy guard would never have caught me.

19 degrees out there, and icy spots on rural roads. City streets are okay. Been snowing all afternoon too, Heading home now and hope ice is not too bad on roads out in the country where we live.
Johnny I hope you made it home safe.

Right wing, Left Wing...

Reminds me of a couple of songs :)

"Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right"

"You can sail away to the sun
And let it burn you while you can
Or walk a long bloody road
Like the hero who never ran"
One of my all-time favorites

-20 below! Not as bad as the Polar Vortex. But, won't get back above Zero until 2:00 tomorrow and then only for a short bit. This has been an unusual Winter for us up here in the Great White North, more snow as of today than many previous entire winters. They say that we haven't had as cold of temperatures since 1996! I guess this is a place to stick one of those: "It is what it is" phrases!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark seeing your post this morning reminds me, I've been meaning to thank you for your service to our country. I failed to do so when I replied to your post about your service at Aberdeen.

I realized when I was watching a program on the military history channel about Army mechanics.

Before I forget again, Thank you sir! Please don't let my absent mindedness make you think anything else, I greatly appreciate all those who have and still serve our great nation, you are all the best!

Hooah!

Mark - Deer in my neighborhood generally don't come close to any residences and thankfully my garden, even when we had bird feeders. Maybe our birds weren't picky and didn't scatter too much seed. They come close when cleaning up the adjacent fields right after the wheat or sorghum harvests.

Everybody have a great day.

There is plenty of hunting pressure on the deer here. Maybe they know I don't hunt them, so am not as afraid of me. I used to hunt them; but, never shot one as I really didn't think I could kill one. Used to Hunt Ruffled Grouse; but, don't do that anymore, either. I'm not a tree hugger and not opposed to deer hunting; or, hunting of any kind! I just would rather see the critters than shoot them, excepting Red Squirrels I shoot everyone of them little Bushy Tailed Rats I can! They are destructive as heck!

Mark seeing your post this morning reminds me, I've been meaning to thank you for your service to our country. I failed to do so when I replied to your post about your service at Aberdeen.

I realized when I was watching a program on the military history channel about Army mechanics.

Before I forget again, Thank you sir! Please don't let my absent mindedness make you think anything else, I greatly appreciate all those who have and still serve our great nation, you are all the best!

Hooah!

Thank you Louis! I occasionally wear an ARMY cap and I have people thanking me for my service all the time, now! It is very nice of them. This is so much different than when I was in the service where I had a girl spit on me and call me a Baby Killer, while I was wearing my uniform, passing from one gate to another, in an airport!

Over in Germany where I was stationed, baby killing was pretty much frowned upon!

So, once again, Thank you Sir for your appreciation and it is much appreciated in return!

Good morning. It's cloudy and 64.
It's expected to cool back down to highs in the mid 40s starting tomorrow, and it's supposed to start raining Sunday, and continue off and on until next Saturday.
I'm planning to do my taxes tonight, and see how many thousands I have to pay. According to some people that seem to thrive on creating fear and uncertainty, I can expect to pay in about $1200 this year. We'll see.

Terry I hope I didn't add any fear or uncertainty about taxes, that was not my intention.

I was just complaining, I was hoping my federal tax would be a few points lower, but it ended up a few points higher. No big deal really.

To be honest; I have been known to use fear and intimidation, but only in person. And only with a person who has earned the use of such tactics.

Terry I hope I didn't add any fear or uncertainty about taxes, that was not my intention.

I was just complaining, I was hoping my federal tax would be a few points lower, but it ended up a few points higher. No big deal really.

To be honest; I have been known to use fear and intimidation, but only in person. And only with a person who has earned the use of such tactics.
No, I was making a comment about some people that hold elected office that are attempting to terrify people, for political gain.

Louis, You know those "sound barrier" walls encircling the city of Baltimore? Sometimes I think they should complete them and fill the city with the bay. After all, the city's leaders have allowed it to become a cesspool already, let's finish the job. Get the 2 legged and 4 legged rats all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back