Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1549439855082.png

After switching in Cockeysville and Hunt Valley, Conrail GP38-2-8281 is heading S/B with one boxcar and CR caboose-23128 on train WHBA. Its on former PRR Northern Central tracks, by this time CR's Cockeysville Industrial Track. Check out that black 1959 Buick 4-door. Mid-morning on 3-1-86 in Texas, MD
Bill Kalkman

1549439994143.png

Conrail GP38-2-8281, with one boxcar and CR caboose-23128 is S/B on train WHBA, about to pass under Ruxton Road on the former Pennsylvania Railroad Northern Central Line. Under Conrail, its the Cockeysville Industrial Track. I was fortunate to have had this picture published on Joe McMillan's 1991 Conrail calendar. Mid-morning on 3-1-86 in Ruxton, MD
Bill Kalkman

Spent all yesterday doing "the prep" for my colonoscopy. For those who haven't had a colonoscopy, the preparation is exactly like waterboarding, except in your ass. With a couple of laxatives mixed in, to boot. The exam itself is nothing, especially since you're only semi-conscious. This is my third in 10 years, sigh. Think of me, about 1 pm, eastern time

Spent all yesterday doing "the prep" for my colonoscopy. For those who haven't had a colonoscopy, the preparation is exactly like waterboarding, except in your ass. With a couple of laxatives mixed in, to boot. The exam itself is nothing, especially since you're only semi-conscious. This is my third in 10 years, sigh. Think of me, about 1 pm, eastern time

I had my first one last year. Your right, the prep blows, but the procedure is cake. Hope everything goes well.

Good Morning all,

Our ice storm has come and gone. No power loss thankfully. I was beginning to wonder, we had some flickering that were becoming more numerous. All the schools are doing a 2 hr late start.

Be safe everyone!

My positive thoughts go out to you for your procedure today. May all results be negative. First one for me was about a year ago, and as Mike posted and you probably already know as well, procedure is easy, prep is a bitch. On a positive note, at least this morning, you're not "full of it".

Good morning everyone. 35 and drizzly out there.

Louis - I hear you about "tax time"
Beady and Mike - colonoscopies suck, but I've done my last 3 non-sedated - don't know what the big deal is 'cause it's easy, and I drive myself to breakfast afterwards - no need for someone to wait for you so they can drive you somewhere.

My layout is getting dusty - haven't done much since the weekend, and there's lots to do. Got an order coming this week from MBKlein, and I'll hit the LHS this week. Local train club spring show coming up March 23, so I'll pick up a few items there, too.

Time for coffee. Have a good day everyone.

1549458270199.png

9/2018 - As of my latest visit to the B&O Museum last fall, I have seen and photographed all 16 of the remaining GG1 electrics. PRR 4876 spent many years in a CSX yard in Baltimore which contributed to its condition today. It currently rests outside the museum's restoration shop. This GG1, whose claim to fame is that it crashed at Union Station in DC and had to be removed in small pieces, was built in Altoona back in 1939 and was not retired until 1983. Following that crash in 1953, it was shipped to Altoona in pieces and rebuilt as a practically new GG1.
AltoonaWorks

Good Morning All. 68° and light rain that will continue here for a couple more hours. High today will still be in the lower 70's, well it doesn't have far to go! Cooler forecast for most of the next ten days which means getting the jeans and socks back out.
Spent the entire day yesterday with my handyman contractor and his helper. They trimmed some tree branches before tackling several spots on the roof that needed attention. There were three places where there was some wind damage from the past few years and one spot where those branches damaged a half dozen shingles. They found two other places that were suspect and fixed them as well. None of these areas leaked, yet! While on the roof, I also had him help me sweep out the chimney, a process that I did myself for many years before my wife asked me not to go on the roof any longer. A lot cheaper than paying a professional sweep $150 for the job. Next up was repairing a below ground water leak (a repair that I made 35 years ago that ultimately gave way due to ground movement) near my water meter. Digging a couple of yards of wet clay mud is no longer on my "want to" list. Unfortunately they also broke the PVC pipe in a second place while excavating, thus adding to the time required to make the ultimately successful repair before my wife got home and needed wanted the water!
Spent no time in the train shed yesterday, but with the rain today, I can make up for lost time.
Thanks for the comments yesterday on the most recent photos, Johnny, Greg, Sherrel, Louis, Curt, and any others whom I may have missed. I'll continue to update every so often.

Snerrel - I always drive with two feet! Of course I have to since I drive a manual transmission vehicle. Not sure if I ever used my left foot on the brake in my entire life, even with an automatic.
Curt - The farm supply store is really turning out nicely. It would fit anywhere on my layout due to my era and locale. Hint!;)
Mike -
I ran to get gas in my car, and it is really slick!
Why didn't you just drive???:rolleyes: Seriously, stay safe.
Karl - Great Queen video.
Terry - Likewise regarding the Joan Jett video. I've lecherously watched her since her teenage days with the Runaways.

Today is the late Bob Marley's birthday, undisputed king of reggae pop music. RIP
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. 33° and sunny. Yesterday's Spring like temperatures will not be repeated today. Picked up another cold, which is at best very annoying. Not for nothing, after my bout with pneumonia, last October, I was fine until the day before Thanksgiving, when I had my flu shot. I have been gagging and wheezing ever since. Supposedly, there is no correlation, but...

9/2018 - As of my latest visit to the B&O Museum last fall, I have seen and photographed all 16 of the remaining GG1 electrics. PRR 4876 spent many years in a CSX yard in Baltimore which contributed to its condition today. It currently rests outside the museum's restoration shop. This GG1, whose claim to fame is that it crashed at Union Station in DC and had to be removed in small pieces, was built in Altoona back in 1939 and was not retired until 1983. Following that crash in 1953, it was shipped to Altoona in pieces and rebuilt as a practically new GG1.

How much can they get for the GG1 steel? The 4876 pictured above, has been in the custody of the B&O Museum folks since the mid 1980s. when I lived in the Baltimore area. I've been in Jersey for 33 years now, and the Museum has done nothing with it, in that time. Seriously, it that necessary to preserve every piece of equipment that ever ran on the railroad? The B&O Museum should be concentrating on a sampling of equipment from the B&O, Chessie System and CSX, who endowed them. Obviously, not a priority to the Museum or their benefactors or it would be repainted and prominently displayed.

In a similar vein, the Penn Central donated the PRR Historical collection of steam locomotives to the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum at Strasburg. The Museum practically destroyed these relics, when they removed the asbestos, and have allowed them to sit in the weather almost to the point where they are virtually beyond restoration. They are attempting to raise money to cosmetically restore them one at a time. These locomotives last ran in 1957. How long does one expect the junk to last when you don't maintain it. Most of the folks who ran these things and cared have passed, and believe me, the future generations don't care about them any more than they care about other old stuff.

The other day, the Marcal Paper Plant, located off the old Erie RR in Elmwood Park, NJ, literally burned to the ground, taking 500 jobs with it. It was another one of those 100 + year old brick industrial structures with a "Historic" Neon sign. We discussed similar structures in this forum, recently.
The firefighters had to reposition their resources outside of the collapse zone as the fire gained the upper hand. There was more concern expressed about the loss of the "landmark" neon sign, than the loss of 500 manufacturing jobs. Somewhere, we have lost our priorities.

Boris

The other day, the Marcal Paper Plant, located off the old Erie RR in Elmwood Park, NJ, literally burned to the ground, taking 500 jobs with it. It was another one of those 100 + year old brick industrial structures with a "Historic" Neon sign. We discussed similar structures in this forum, recently.
The firefighters had to reposition their resources outside of the collapse zone as the fire gained the upper hand. There was more concern expressed about the loss of the "landmark" neon sign, than the loss of 500 manufacturing jobs. Somewhere, we have lost our priorities.

Boris

Funny you mention this. Videos of this fire showed as recommended in my YouTube feed. This must of been something to witness. I watched several videos on it from the fires start to the building collapse. For those who haven’t seen it.

Good morning. 33° and sunny. Yesterday's Spring like temperatures will not be repeated today. Picked up another cold, which is at best very annoying. Not for nothing, after my bout with pneumonia, last October, I was fine until the day before Thanksgiving, when I had my flu shot. I have been gagging and wheezing ever since. Supposedly, there is no correlation, but...

How much can they get for the GG1 steel? The 4876 pictured above, has been in the custody of the B&O Museum folks since the mid 1980s. when I lived in the Baltimore area. I've been in Jersey for 33 years now, and the Museum has done nothing with it, in that time. Seriously, it that necessary to preserve every piece of equipment that ever ran on the railroad? The B&O Museum should be concentrating on a sampling of equipment from the B&O, Chessie System and CSX, who endowed them. Obviously, not a priority to the Museum or their benefactors or it would be repainted and prominently displayed.

In a similar vein, the Penn Central donated the PRR Historical collection of steam locomotives to the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum at Strasburg. The Museum practically destroyed these relics, when they removed the asbestos, and have allowed them to sit in the weather almost to the point where they are virtually beyond restoration. They are attempting to raise money to cosmetically restore them one at a time. These locomotives last ran in 1957. How long does one expect the junk to last when you don't maintain it. Most of the folks who ran these things and cared have passed, and believe me, the future generations don't care about them any more than they care about other old stuff.

Boris

Boris
I tend to agree with you. We can't save them all, and rusting away is 475,000 pounds of scrap steel that even at the low price of 60 bucks a ton, there is $14,250.00 sitting there, turning to dust. That would go a long way into preserving things that we only have 1 or 2 examples remaining.

Sorry to hear about the debacle at Strasburg. I haven't been there since I was a teenager.

As far as Marcal burning, guess we better stock up on T.P. before the price increase!

36 degrees and cloudy, but no snow! I think the snow level was somewhere around 2,500 feet - we are 1200 here.

Good morning, everybody.

Louis ..... Sad to see the GG1 is now a rusted hulk.

Karl .... The historic photos are interesting. The 4-6-6-4 is impressive.

Beady .... I hope it goes well for you..... I had one a few months go, and I did not need to be drugged up as Johnny says his were. . It felt like belly cramps as he did it, but not very bad. I had good results, and I don't need another for 10 years.

A late good morning from the deep freeze. -5. Not as bad as Mark and Greg had, but it is going to hang around for a while. The high for the past two days has been in the low single digits May get up into the teens by next Thursday. Have about 6 inches of snow that had piled up over the past few days, But I am not interested in plowing until the temps warm up. The dogs aren't interested in going down off the porch and are doing their business on the porch and then making a mad dash back to the door. Don't blame them.

Got to see the doctor on Tuesday as he had an appointment cancellation. Doesn't sound good. It is the rotator cuff. Sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies at times. Snap, crackle and pop. The doctor thinks the rotator is shot and beyond repair. Three choices, live with it, get shots for the pain or a shoulder replacement. Having an MRI tomorrow to confirm the diagnosis. My choice is the latter.

Some really nice photos over the past few days. Hard to pick a favorite as they're all good.

Louis - Nice to hear that Tucker is improving.

Beady - Have fun tomorrow. I don't mind the procedures as like you said, for the most part you're out, but the prep work is a pain in the butt.

Mike - Some video. Some fire, thanks for the post.

Curt - Looking good, getting close to the finish line.

Here's a rail picture for today.

a2790b18bca205c20703befae490c776.jpg

Later

A late good morning from the deep freeze. The dogs aren't interested in going down off the porch and are doing their business on the porch and then making a mad dash back to the door. Don't blame them.

Got to see the doctor on Tuesday as he had an appointment cancellation. Doesn't sound good. It is the rotator cuff. Sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies at times. Snap, crackle and pop. The doctor thinks the rotator is shot and beyond repair. Three choices, live with it, get shots for the pain or a shoulder replacement. Having an MRI tomorrow to confirm the diagnosis. My choice is the latter.
Later

Just don't eat the yellow snow!

Shame about the sholder. That's going to put a crimp in your bowling for quite a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back