Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1549281050375.png

PRR 9577 south of Tiffin, OH, between PEN & INK, in the fall of 1963 by Jim Roberts, White River Productions collection, from their book "Pennsylvania Railroad Lines West, Volume 3: Crestline to Chicago, 1960-1999," by Steve Hipes & David P. Oroszi.
Joe Walder

You guys must use a pen and paper to take notes while your scouring this thread! You can make a comment on what somebody said two/four pages back, that I can never find! So, I end up wondering how much of what you guys quote is actually real; or, Bull S!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Everybody,

We had a great day yesterday. My son had the idea of combining his Mom's birthday party with the Super Bowl. My wife loves football so it worked out great! We had crab cakes, French fries, T-bones on the grill and more snack foods than we could possibly eat. I even had sangria with fresh fruit.

To top it all off we got treated to a fantastic football game! It's was a real throw back to the 70s.

You guys must use a pen and paper to take notes while your scouring this thread! You can make a comment on what somebody said two/four pages back, that I can never find! So, I end up wondering how much of what you guys quote is actually real or Bull S!
Mark - I "right-click" on a preceding page and open in a new tab, then I go back to the beginning of the previous day and scroll through. I have usually read most of them the day before but I normally don't want to take the time to respond all day long. Lately, I have to go back several pages to find where I made the previous morning's rambling. Meanwhile I am making responses on the latest page. I have to pay attention to where I make the responses since the re-hashed pages contain updated responses in the reply box; and new posts are always being added.

Mark - I "right-click" on a preceding page and open in a new tab, then I go back to the beginning of the previous day and scroll through. I have usually read most of them the day before but I normally don't want to take the time to respond all day long. Lately, I have to go back several pages to find where I made the previous morning's rambling. Meanwhile I am making responses on the latest page. I have to pay attention to where I make the responses since the re-hashed pages contain updated responses in the reply box; and new posts are always being added.

Thanks for the explanation, Willie! I guess I lack the interest in what's being talked about here, to do that.

Good Morning Everyone. 58° and clear, they're now forecasting a possible high of 80° today. Sounds like a May weather report. This weather will last until Friday when the high is predicted to be 43° and then back to a more normal pattern of upper 50's.
I hate going to the grocery store on Sunday, and yesterday was a lot worse due to all of the "pre-game shoppers". Some people have no consideration for their fellow shoppers, two instances yesterday really stand out. One lady stopped her cart in the center of a crowded aisle blocking passage on both sides, and was reading her weekly circular and talking to someone on the phone regarding what to buy! She ignored several "Excuse me"'s from other shoppers until one gentleman used his cart to ram hers out of the way. The second occurred in an adjacent check-out lane where another lady rifled through an envelope with hundreds of coupons, searching for any that might be used. Handed the very patient cashier several expired ones in the process. Quite annoying as I review the circular and my coupons from the comfort of the couch and make my list at home, which I hardly deviate from at all. Rarely do I "impulse buy" although yesterday I did purchase a really nice salmon filet after the meat department manager (my neighbor) pointed them out to me.

Not a lot of time in the train shed yesterday; church, grocery trip 35 miles away, putting up the groceries, nap, daily walk and doing laundry took up the greatest portion of the day. Also spent a few minutes watering the onions and radish seeds in the garden. So I only ran trains and did no landscaping. Switched out cars at a grain elevator, flour mill and an industrial park; ten cars total that took the better part of an hour. Still haven't located my errant figure, but I did find a single new rail joiner that I didn't know that I had lost.

Dave - That's neat being able to meet Tommy Allsup. While I mostly listen to Rock & Roll, I also enjoy western swing music. This area of Texas is/was home to Bob Wills, Asleep at the Wheel, Hank Thompson and Tommy Allsup among others.
Garry - I agree with looking at older photos to get inspiration for scenery. Louis has posted a few recently that show the trash along the ROW very well. Your station scene is very well done.
Beady -
You, sir, are a heartless curmudgeon.
Thank you sir, Mark needs company in that department.
Curt - The little shack looks very fitting on that roof.
Karl - One heck of a girlfriend that you have there.
David - I have already tried both of your suggestions without any luck. Laying on the floor is not as easy as it used to be! :oops:
Louis - My wife tells me that yesterday's football game was the most boring one that she had ever seen, and that no commercials stood out either. I still cannot understand why people are so excited about commercials anyway! I spent the early part of the game in the train shed, then fixed supper and later went to bed when it was still on. I haven't watched a complete Super Bowl since the late 70's and haven't watched one at all in the last 25 years.
Willie, I'm for starting a new political party. Our platform would be an equal flat tax for all, no exemptions, no loop holes, no credits. No more incentives to cheat and no more incentives to be lazy.
That would put my wife out of a job!:mad:
I delivered news papers myself in the 70s, not much had changed :) Our experiences are not for a family friendly forum. :) The lonely housewives were easily the most interesting and enlightening. ;)
Quite right!;)
Mark - As I have posted before, I look at the Coffee Shop as our own small version of Facebook without all of the baggage that goes with it. This is the extent of my social interaction with other modelers since I live so far out in the boonies.

Well, it's the start of another week of work for many, be safe out there. Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 58 and partly cloudy out there. The weather rollercoaster continues.

My wife continues doing really well at the CTCA hospital in Zion, IL. She'll be home in less than two weeks. Planning a welcome home party for her!

Ran some trains over the weekend. Put together some new consists. I read about Willie's 800 cars (freight and passenger combined total, I assume) and I drool. I have maybe 40 cars and four engines, but it works okay for me. I am building my freight car list slowly, mostly buying at the local train shows, where I can get them cheaper than at MBKlein (although I have an MBKlein order coming in that includes two more freight cars).

Have a good day everyone.

Ooops - - meant to say yesterday was a wonderfully relaxing day - church, running some errands, doing some outdoor work (65 degrees out there), running some trains, playing guitar - - oh, was there some kind of football game yesterday?? Like many of you, I don't watch pro sports any more, especially football - - too many babies in adult-sized uniforms saying and doing stupid things. Too much else to do in life to waste time on that.. Anyway, have a good day.

Supposed to reach only 54 for a high today. It is still overcast, cloudy with scattered showers all over. That seems to be the plan for the next two days they say.
Developed what I hope is a dirty sensor proplem with my truck. The ABS and Brake light comes on after about 4 miles, but does not come on at all other times. I've noticed NO CHANGE in the ability of the brakes to stop? Drove for over half my life with zero antiskid in all road conditions - ice, snow, rain, but guess I better see about it - RED lights on an instrument panel have always been a NO-NO in my world.

WILLIE - I am in Arlene's camp -- I went to OUR Bunko Super Bowl Party - and it was an absolute BORING game and the commericals were lousey as well as the half time which I left the room after 2 minutes. Food was great and company was awesome and I did manage to win 38 bucks on one of the games we always have. First time that I have ever won anything at the party!

Nice photos there Louis!

Good Morning Everyone.....overcast and rain, in fact it rained so hard this morning the sound of the rain pounding on the roof woke me up. Good bye snow.

Good day for trains...since I finished my late MIL's taxes yesterday.

Willie: Sometimes I use a flashlight held parallel to the floor to spot small parts, it makes the parts stand out in their shadows, but like you its getting harder and harder to lay on the floor and then try to get up.

Mark: Its easy to remember what everyone has written in the Forum, BTW what did you say?

Garry: Another great photo, keep them coming.

Looking forward to running the noisy Bachmann 70 tonner on DC to see if the decoder doesn't like the AC voltage on DCC which is causing the noise.

My Rapido BUDD Car should arrive today!!!

Thar's all for today.

Greg

##############################

Perkins4.jpg

This will be the first structure that I scratch build sometime in the future.

Good morning. A cup of black coffee and an apple turnover please.

The temp is -5 with an expected high possibly reaching the low teens. The winter storm watch and winter weather advisories so far have fizzled. We did get some snow yesterday, but with the winds there was little accumulation, less than an inch. Looking at the radar, we are clear of any snow, so far.

Mark - Brand loyalty when it comes to cars is a toss up. I have always been a Chevy fan, buy have also owned many other brands. Gpoing back to the mid 70's through possibly the late 80's, the quality of US brands was fairly dismal. I did own a couple of Japanese cars during this period, but US manufacturers had to step up their game to compete. I would dare say that today US cars are just as good as most imports. The trend now seems to be toward SUV's. Some manufacturers are dropping sedans, such as Ford and concentrating of SUV's. Some manufacturers have as many as 6 different models. Me, I have no use for an SUV. Go back to the 50's and 60's, there were not as many choices. If you wanted a Chevy, there was a Biscayne, Bel-Air and and Impala, basically the same car but with different trim levels. The there was the introduction of smaller mid size vehicles and compacts.

I did like the ability to buy a new car the way you wanted it in the mid to late 60's. You could go into a dealer and get a list of options for the car you were interested in and chose each and every item you wanted. You could customize your car right from the factory for the most part. Today manufacturers only offer "packages". You might want one particular feature, but it only comes in a package and you may be stuck with a number of items you really don't want. This is one thing that really turned me off. Now with all of the technology, such as touch screen infotainment systems and other things such as blue-tooth, the ability to restrict teen drivers and others now becoming standard equipment (that I have no use for) have run me out of the new car market. At the prices they are wanting for new cars, I want my car the way I want it instead of the way some a**hole in his office in Detroit thinks I should have it. Please give my buttons, knobs and switches. - - - - - - - Rant over.

Louis - More great photos. Like the Shark and the Atlantic. I really like the foods from eastern Europe. Just before I got out of the Navy, we made a port call to Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia (now Croatia) and I think I was in pig heaven. We were the first US warship to visit there since before WWII. The people were fantastic. The food, OUTSTANDING. People don't know what they're missing if they don't try the great foods from eastern Europe. Sounds like a good party you had. We had planned to put steaks on the grill, but with the high winds out of the north and the grill on the north side of the house. we had something else.

Willie - It is really amazing at how shoppers always have to stop their cart or have a BS session right at choke points. You can't fix stupid. Good luck finding the figure you dropped. The room where my work bench is at has a clear floor and I have been able to find items as small as a coupler spring by laying on the floor as David mentioned. If I drop something in the train room, it's pretty well history.

Johnny - Glad to hear that your wife is doing well. I'm sure that you'll both be happy when she returns home. I also did not watch the super bowl. Years ago we had season tickets when we lived in Florida and then had Sunday ticket on DirecTV but when the kneeling crap started,that was the end of the NFL for us.

Greg was have noise problems with his Bachmann GE 70 ton switcher he started a post on. As I have mentioned, years ago I wouldn't have anything to do with a Bachmann locomotive until they started their Spectrum series. After reading a product review in MR on the Spectrum Consolidation, I sprung and bought one. What a suprise. Excellent running locomotive. I tried a few others and again, nice running locomotives. Then there was the 70 ton switcher. Out of the box, the gear noise was terrible. After some lubrication to parts that I could get to, it did quiet down some but was still noisy and then as I posted a while back, it got to the point where it would not start from a dead stop. It was sent off to Bachmann for repairs and I was told that they had lubricated the motor bushings. (extremely hard to get to without almost taking the entire chassis apart). NO CHARGE for the repairs. Now I am really enjoying the little guy. Here's a short video I posted on Greg's post.

This little guy can creep so slow that it took over 15 minutes to cover the same distance as in this video. A real joy to use for switching.

Here's a rail photo for today.

seemed-3371495_960_720.jpg

Later

Good morning. A cup of black coffee and an apple turnover please.

The temp is -5 with an expected high possibly reaching the low teens. The winter storm watch and winter weather advisories so far have fizzled. We did get some snow yesterday, but with the winds there was little accumulation, less than an inch. Looking at the radar, we are clear of any snow, so far.

Mark - Brand loyalty when it comes to cars is a toss up. I have always been a Chevy fan, buy have also owned many other brands. Gpoing back to the mid 70's through possibly the late 80's, the quality of US brands was fairly dismal. I did own a couple of Japanese cars during this period, but US manufacturers had to step up their game to compete. I would dare say that today US cars are just as good as most imports. The trend now seems to be toward SUV's. Some manufacturers are dropping sedans, such as Ford and concentrating of SUV's. Some manufacturers have as many as 6 different models. Me, I have no use for an SUV. Go back to the 50's and 60's, there were not as many choices. If you wanted a Chevy, there was a Biscayne, Bel-Air and and Impala, basically the same car but with different trim levels. The there was the introduction of smaller mid size vehicles and compacts.

I did like the ability to buy a new car the way you wanted it in the mid to late 60's. You could go into a dealer and get a list of options for the car you were interested in and chose each and every item you wanted. You could customize your car right from the factory for the most part. Today manufacturers only offer "packages". You might want one particular feature, but it only comes in a package and you may be stuck with a number of items you really don't want. This is one thing that really turned me off. Now with all of the technology, such as touch screen infotainment systems and other things such as blue-tooth, the ability to restrict teen drivers and others now becoming standard equipment (that I have no use for) have run me out of the new car market. At the prices they are wanting for new cars, I want my car the way I want it instead of the way some a**hole in his office in Detroit thinks I should have it. Please give my buttons, knobs and switches. - - - - - - - Rant over.

Louis - More great photos. Like the Shark and the Atlantic. I really like the foods from eastern Europe. Just before I got out of the Navy, we made a port call to Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia (now Croatia) and I think I was in pig heaven. We were the first US warship to visit there since before WWII. The people were fantastic. The food, OUTSTANDING. People don't know what they're missing if they don't try the great foods from eastern Europe. Sounds like a good party you had. We had planned to put steaks on the grill, but with the high winds out of the north and the grill on the north side of the house. we had something else.

Willie - It is really amazing at how shoppers always have to stop their cart or have a BS session right at choke points. You can't fix stupid. Good luck finding the figure you dropped. The room where my work bench is at has a clear floor and I have been able to find items as small as a coupler spring by laying on the floor as David mentioned. If I drop something in the train room, it's pretty well history.

Johnny - Glad to hear that your wife is doing well. I'm sure that you'll both be happy when she returns home. I also did not watch the super bowl. Years ago we had season tickets when we lived in Florida and then had Sunday ticket on DirecTV but when the kneeling crap started,that was the end of the NFL for us.

Greg was have noise problems with his Bachmann GE 70 ton switcher he started a post on. As I have mentioned, years ago I wouldn't have anything to do with a Bachmann locomotive until they started their Spectrum series. After reading a product review in MR on the Spectrum Consolidation, I sprung and bought one. What a suprise. Excellent running locomotive. I tried a few others and again, nice running locomotives. Then there was the 70 ton switcher. Out of the box, the gear noise was terrible. After some lubrication to parts that I could get to, it did quiet down some but was still noisy and then as I posted a while back, it got to the point where it would not start from a dead stop. It was sent off to Bachmann for repairs and I was told that they had lubricated the motor bushings. (extremely hard to get to without almost taking the entire chassis apart). NO CHARGE for the repairs. Now I am really enjoying the little guy. Here's a short video I posted on Greg's post.

This little guy can creep so slow that it took over 15 minutes to cover the same distance as in this video. A real joy to use for switching.

Here's a rail photo for today.

View attachment 34074

Later
What-all is involved with sending a loco to Bachman for repairs? I've got a steamer that needs to be reconnected to its tender (it's one of those where the power is supplied from the tender).

I'd call Bachman first. It seems for as wonderful as the Spectrum series of locomotives is, the electric plugs between the engine and tender are their weak spot. They just don't seem to be built for adults.

Beady - Greg has the web site for you listed above. Fill out the form on line and they will give you a repair order number and request you send the loco to

Bachmann Customer Service
Repair
1400 East Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19124

There is a charge as Greg mentioned. Mine was free because it was less than a year old.

Howdy everyone!
It's a beautiful afternoon in western PA - the sun is out and 60° !!!
Come on spring, your welcome here!

Chet
Really like the GE 70 video & rail photo

Karl
Like the sign! It would make a good billboard on the layout!

I gotta get ready for work - so everyone have a nice day!

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning then after lunch I built the awning mockup. The left wire is .015 Tichy phosphor wire and the other 2 are .020 gauge. I decided to go with the .015 wire. I had all the prep work done for installing the supported roof on the build and I got a call from daughter asking me to pick up youngest grandson at school since he was sick. I picked him up but he wasn't sick:confused:. I know what he looks like when he's sick.

Chet- Great layout video. The 70 tonner looks like a smooth strong puller.

Karl- Great picture and a great girlfriend.

CA Dave- Thank you.

Louis- Great pictures.

NP2626- I keep a little spiral note pad next to me and jot down notes. I could never remember everything and who said it.

Willie- Thank you.

Greg- Interesting looking building.

Jim- Interesting photos.

20190204_130119-3024x1470.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back