Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beady: That's a great start! Looks like you will have quite the N Scale empire there. Should keep you out of trouble for quite a few years. :)

Afternoon All,

After some chores I watched 2 weathering roof videos, one from the kit manufacturer and the other Kathy Milatt. Both said to brush on 91% RA after I was done with the powders. I'm not sure I like that effect. I attached the billboards and finally cut boards for the last part of the build the lean to shed for shoeing horses. In my detail stuff I found a horse trailer and several horses.

Tonight the family is taking my Dad out for his 86th birthday. I'm embarrassed to say that we have lived in central FL for 24 years and have never been to the Keys! o_OEvery time we talk about it something else comes up or we decide to do something else instead.

Chet- Phil should really like the FEC pictures.

Dave- That sure looks cold outside the train.

Greg- Sounds like a heck of a RDC.

Tom- The rotary dump is outstanding and a great looking modular layout.

Garry- Continued prayers for your MIL and safe travels. How old is your MIL?

Louis- It sounds like you need the overhead electronic toll takers we have locally. Some places still have people taking tolls that you can exit to, but most exits will just bill you if you don't have a electronic pass.

LASM- Good to see you back and nice layout shot.

View attachment 34491

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt we have those over head toll takers on the new highways, the intercounty connector and on the new Express lanes, but it's the old fashioned booths at the tunnels and Key Bridge and the really impede the flow of traffic. I'm surprised how many don't have the electronic pass we call EZPass, those cars are the real problem, they get into in the EZpass only lanes only to often make an insane lane change at the last minute and or block the EZpass only lane. The lines for the human toll takers can be 20 cars or more deep.

Years ago our politicians promised they would do away with all tolls once the tunnels were paid for. Politicians are junkies thier drug of choice is our money!

Tell your Dad Happy Birthday for us! Also thanks for telling Phil I said hello. He called me :) I always enjoy talking to him.

As always thanks for sharing your work, I enjoy that as well.

Boris I don't believe much of what the insurance industry or what any for profit industry says for that matter. Although I can believe NJ drivers are the worst. I can't say I have much experience, I only passed through NJ a couple dozen times on the way to NY. Every time I drive on the Turnpike somebody blows by me at over 100mph! The NJ Turnpike and the Washington Beltway have the fastest drivers I have ever seen, regardless of traffic.

Friday afternoon I was driving to Amazon on the Baltimore Washington Parkway. I was doing 65 and this BMW SUV was tailgating me. First chance she got she sling shot out from behind me and passed me at what I guess was full throttle. She got about 100 yards a head and tailgated the next car. The BMW had a NJ tag. I was glad to see my exit before she killed somebody.

Funny how some folks equate driving fast as driving better than the people they are passing! I drive the speed limit, unless I am not in cruise and don't know it. I do this, not because I think the people who determined what the speed limit was going to be are the smartest people on Earth; but, because it's the law. In 50+ years of driving I have only ever gotten one speeding ticket! I like this fact!

Oh, that's right, I have to say something about the weather! -10 below and the Moon is out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's raining and 37.
Where I live, pretty much in the middle of NASCAR territory, people think if you aren't doing 25mph over the limit, you're asleep. And they drive like they're at the track, instead of on the road. When commuting, I drive 9mph over the limit--in the right lane. And get passed by half the other drivers. 15 over the limit here is considered reckless driving, with fines and potential jail time if caught, but they don't seem to care about the consequences. About every other day, I am held up by an accident on the highway, sometimes serious, and usually multi-vehicle. The only place I've lived where people tend to drive even faster, and more aggressively, is California. And I used to drive fast for a living.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 29°.
Chet - I thought yesterday's race was never going to end!
Beady - Nice progress.
Everybody have a great President's Day.

Mark, I agree and I'll go as far as to say driving faster than the flow of traffic makes me think those drivers who do it are stupid! I can't compare with your driving record, well done! Other than 1 speed camera, maybe 2, tickets are all the speeding tickets I have had in well over 20 years.

I'll let you know about the possible second ticket if the photo of my van arrives this week. I don't want to mention my driving record when I was young. Lets just say I was stupid.

Terry, when I see a NASCAR sticker on a vehicle I know to keep my distance. Only problem is the stickers are usually on the back of the vehicles as they are speeding away.

FYI: My grandson is playing Goat Simulator as he enjoys his morning with no school.

Is it just my observation or has anyone else noticed middle-aged woman are some of the most aggressive drivers on the roads today?

1550496398348.png

Good Morning, Happy President's Day! 38° and Foggy.

[QUOTE="NP2626, post: 452014, member: 5714"]Funny how some folks equate driving fast as driving better than the people they are passing! I drive the speed limit, unless I am not in cruise and don't know it. I do this, not because I think the people who determined what the speed limit was going to be are the smartest people on Earth; but, because it's the law. In 50+ years of driving I have only ever gotten one speeding ticket! I like this fact![/QUOTE]

Although I can believe NJ drivers are the worst. I can't say I have much experience, I only passed through NJ a couple dozen times on the way to NY. Every time I drive on the Turnpike somebody blows by me at over 100mph! The NJ Turnpike and the Washington Beltway have the fastest drivers I have ever seen, regardless of traffic.

Mark & Louis: It's a well known fact that in Jersey, you can under most circumstance, drive 10 MPH over the posted limit on a highway, without fear of being pulled over. This somewhat changes after the 15th. of the month, as the law enforcement employees have to make their monthly quota, or in Fund Raiser Jurisdictions. There are locations such as the Turnpike and Parkway, where driving at the speed limit is suicidal. At night, Driving at the limit attracts attention from police looking for Impaired Drivers. People in New Jersey, are impatient. They are always in a hurry or running late.

Biggest cause of accidents locally are the people who are conducting business over their phones while driving at highway speed, the folks who ride the left lane and suddenly cut over to the right at their turn, whether there is room for them or not, and the folks who straddle the center of a two way road, as if the whole road was theirs. Equally bad are those who blow stop signs, or pull into oncoming traffic from a parking lot. Speed is generally not the primary factor. During peak travel time, attaining the speed limit is impossible.

Express EZPass lanes are ideal, but too many locations still have old style toll booths. The Parkway, recently eliminated exact change lanes. Most EZPass lanes are to the left, I believe the same applies in Delaware and Maryland. There are still locations on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, where the EZPass lanes are to the right, (just to keep you on your toes). No sure where they are in relation to the Port Authority's bridges and tunnels. EZPass was sold to the State of New Jersey as "Revenue Enhancement", and the operating contractor created violations. They were caught, and replaced, when Administrations changed.

Boris

Howdy everyone!
Truckdad Dave: Thanks for the photos on your trip! I really like them and wish I was doing something like that.
Chet: Great Florida info & photos
Beady: Looks like a good start for the layout!
Tom: Great report from show! Thanks!
Terry: I see people drive like that everywhere in my 18 state travels. It seems like they're driving in a video game, rather than in reality. No disregard for the safety of others or their own.

Union RR Pittsburgh

MI

We even had a post from the Iron Horsemen.
That is because with this new forum software there is a summary of messages in a band over on the right that I can see some recent posts and it doesn't matter what section they are in, so I don't have to "come" to the coffee shop to see it or respond to it.

Howdy ....

We returned late last night from Nashville. Looks like you all are busy. .... Can't comment on all the conversations, but maybe I can mention a couple of the latest ones.

Chet .... Thanks for the historic photos of FEC and Key West. Henry Flagler was definitely the mover and shaker for the Atlantic Coast of Florida. We visited St. Augustine, and he certainly left a big footprint there.

Jim ... Your photos this morning are outstanding. The CSX one looks like it could be on a calendar.

Curt ... Thanks for your thoughts. My MIL is 93. We hope she will get better.

Regarding tolls for highways and bridges. ..... It makes more sense for users of highways and bridges to pay their share of the cost..... Amounts collected with fuel taxes are less than needed to build and maintain highways, and government must allocate from general funds to make up the difference. ... That said, collecting tolls can be problematic. It is easier to have gas stations collect fuel taxes. Therefore, increases to fuel taxes would be needed to collect sufficient money. ........ Most politicians don't want to assess higher fuel taxes, and their voters don't want them to..... So enjoy your pot holes, everybody.

Garry: Thanks! The Dubuque, IL photo you commented on has always been a interesting location. The CSX MI photo is definitely picturesque. That would be a great photo from the little park under the bridge.

About the tolls. I'm like everyone else as I don't like paying tolls & higher fuel taxes, but our roads are progressively
getting worse. We have to keep up with the rebuilding, so the money has to have a source. I'm out there every day sitting in construction traffic. A trip that would take 7 hours - 20 years ago is now taking 8½ hours! Burning more fuel
and taking more time. I don't have the answer, but it's like the dog chasing it's tail !

I’ve often thought about a progressive speed limit, where you aren’t cited, nor do you need to appear in court. When you go zipping through an area under enforcement, a sensor will automatically debit your speeding fine from your EZ Pass or equivalent.

Good morning. Started the day off at -11. We might get up into the low teens by this afternoon.

The NASCAR race yesterday at Daytona was more like a demolition derby. The first big one damaged 19 cars and by the time they crossed the finish line, I don't think there were more than a handful of cars that weren't damaged. Some rolling wrecks even managed to finish. Willie, I also thought it would never end.

No toll road out here, but with the exception of speeds reduced to 65 around some cities, the speed limit is 80 on the interstate and 70 on secondary roads. Even with that speed limit, it isn't fast enough for some people. I always like to have someone go flying by me. I call them the rabbit. I'll pick the speed up a bit (82 to 84) and let the trooper stop the rabbit.

Garry - You are so right about Henry Flagler. He is probably the one most important person involved in opening up Florida to the rest of the country. I am quite familiar with St Augustine having been stationed at Mayport, FL and living on Jacksonville Beach for years when I was in the service.

Curt - Can't wait to see that building on your layout. It is massive. Nice work.

Here are some SP&S photos.

10c07f40a3703ef7a94c3c711592aa32.jpg

SP&SAlcosonWP-101.jpg

SP&SAlcosonWP-107.jpg

SP&SAlcosonWP-108.jpg

One of the fallen flags making up the Burlington Northern.

The train room is warm. Although I can't do much work on the layout with the bum arm, I can enjoy running trains.

Later

JIM Great pics. The one of the 2 fellows hopping the train caught my eye instantly. 20 years ago I thought Jimmy Rodgers song "Waitin for a train" left you hanging so I wrote a 3rd verse. You can see why the picture hit home.
Dave in PV

All around the water tank, waiting for a train
A thousand miles away from home, sleeping in the rain
I walked up to a brakeman just to give him a line of talk
He said "If you got money, boy, I'll see that you don't walk
I haven't got a nickel, not a penny can I show
"Get off, get off, you railroad bum" and slammed the boxcar door

He put me off in Texas, a state I dearly love
The wide open spaces all around me, the moon and the stars up above
Nobody seems to want me, or lend me a helping hand
I'm on my way from Frisco, going back to Dixieland
My pocket book is empty and my heart is full of pain
I'm a thousand miles away from home just waiting for a train JR
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I woke up to a whistle, I seen a cloud of smoke
Shook off the mornin dew and found my boots, I grabbed my hat and poke
The train come to an easy stop, I heard an ol man shout
Looked back behind me at the boxcar door, a helpin hand come out. DM

Dave: The freight hoppers caught my eye also. My uncle and a friend, when they came home from WWII, hopped around the country in the summer of '46. I always wanted to try it, but could never get anyone to go along.

I remember the Jimmy Rodgers song. The 3rd verse fits in well. Good writing!

I’ve often thought about a progressive speed limit, where you aren’t cited, nor do you need to appear in court. When you go zipping through an area under enforcement, a sensor will automatically debit your speeding fine from your EZ Pass or equivalent.

But Terry, that would negate the need for the food chain of folks who earn their living raising funds for the government entity. Look at all the toll taker jobs already eliminated by express toll lanes...

Boris

Good morning everyone. We've been celebrating my wife's safe return home, and letting her rest mostly these past few days. We'll be out of pocket for a week, taking a little trip. Will catch up later.
Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back