Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terry, FYI, my HP laptop had not installed all of the updates. The SSD did not have enough space. The update is 7GB! I free space and It's now running again in the background. useless Information, but to be accurate.

Thanks for the advice for right click, how does your mind contain and access all that information? I have no idea, but I'm glad I can call on it!

Now I'm off to get ready for work, have I mentioned I love working?! Thank God I can!

Once again, have a great day Everybody!

Terry, FYI, my HP laptop had not installed all of the updates. The SSD did not have enough space. The update is 7GB! I free space and It's now running again in the background. useless Information, but to be accurate.

Thanks for the advice for right click, how does your mind contain and access all that information? I have no idea, but I'm glad I can call on it!
I thought that was pretty fast for a total new update...
If anybody wonders, to right-click on a Mac, it's "control+tap" on the touchpad.

Louis, as for remembering this stuff, I started with computers when the method of data input was a punch card.

Shirley, I thought I did! However, you certainly can add to what ever I said.
No Thanks, Mark ... Being located 16-1800 miles from you, and not flying a plane in your vicinity - I just really have no use for your barometric pressure be it rising, steady, or falling.

Interesting .....

Naperville was the scene of the 1946 Burlington train crash that killed 45 people and injured 125. .... a train going 80 mph rammed the rear of a standing train. .... E5's were involved in that crash, too.

43591268911_f8f53beb11_b.jpg

Garry: Did you pile up again ? LoL. Seriously that was a tragic crash. Cabooses were definitely used then, I wonder if that was the crash that killed Boris's friends ? Probably not though as that happened 72 yrs ago and that would make him older than me at 73 yrs.

Last edited:
Willie, Have you considered changing into a pair of slippers/whatever, and leaving your muddy shoes just inside the door?
I actually have a 12" piece of massive I-Beam at the bottom of the porch steps as well as the train shed steps to scrape mud off. I didn't realize that I had picked any up until after I tracked it across the just-mopped floor.

Last edited:
I used to heat with wood, it would take more than 10 cords to heat a complete winter. Then, luckly for me they invented Propane and my wishes where met and life became far easier!
I own a propane tank that I brought with me when I moved in 38 years ago. I heat with wood by choice, although I will most likely get a heat pump before I turn 75 in another 8 years. For me, cutting wood is a good outdoor excercise and the wood is free. Propane is only for cooking, as I don't like electric stoves/ovens, and I am not dependent on the power company in case of power loss, just like the wood heat. I actually have to use just under a cord a season.

Good afternoon. Started of at -11 and now we are to a toasty 9 to the positive.

Checking in late. I was going to plow the driveway yesterday, but when I was putting on my Carhardts, the rib cage told me better. Twisting of the torso is not something I needed to do. My wife must have gotten in touch with my son and he came over this morning. His wife, a tiny little thing, just had to run the snowblower as she does like tools and machinery. She wrestled that snowblower around and did all of the trimming at the edge of the driveway to make it wider. I think it is her new favorite toy. I'll have to put her in the skid steer next summer when I get it back and see how she likes that.

I personally prefer to work with a desk top computer but we do have a couple of lap tops. My wife has a Lenovo which she uses for the bowling league as she is the secretary of eh league and for on line shopping. I also have a Lenove which is set up for auto diagnosis so I can plug into the cars computer and also have a program for tuning the LS3 engine in my '59 Impala. We also have an I pad which my wife won at her Christmas party. Neither one of us are fans of Apple products. I may come in handy on road trips locating hotels and other venues in the area we are traveling instead of squinting at a tiny screen on a smart phone.

Karl
- I really like my windows 7 also. When the hard drive on my desk top took a dump, Win 10 computers were all that was available using Microsoft. I don't like it as much as Win 7, but I am getting used to it. At least it came already configured to work like Win 7. Both of out lap tops came with Win 10 and we had to reconfigure them to operate like Win 7. I can't stand the "app" crap on Win 10.

Willie - That butcher shop is sweet, Nice job.

Greg - Nice photos. Nice to finally see the mine you have been taking about.

Here are my rail photos for today. I did finally get down to run trains for a while. Here is an outbound train leaving Logan with West Yellowstone as it's destination.

thumbnail_20190209_130908.jpg thumbnail_20190209_132840.jpg

Later, Miller time.

Good evening.

WINDOWS 10...I have been using WIN10 for quite a while now, and have learned to live with it. It's really not that different than WIN7, and as long as you can avoid using Microsoft's cloud and subscription software, it's tolerable. I don't like the fact that I can not delete Cortana and other embedded Microsoft Software, I don't use, I don't like the fact that even disabled Cortana uses 10% of my resources. But over all, I was able to avoid many of the pitfalls.

Chet: Sorry to hear you're in so much discomfort. Hope you find a solution quickly.

Willie: Shame you cant get Natural Gas where you're at. Heat pumps work as long as the temperature doesn't get too low, My son has pesropane as a back-up to his in NC.

David: The wreck I referred to was in 1967, in Pennsylvania, Cabin cars remained in use until the labor agreements in 1985. In the incident I referred to, the flagman had torpedoes out and the train was protected by signals to the rear. Flagging was not required in Automatic Block territory. The crew of the train to the rear was impaired. there Is no way to protect against that.

Beady: Thanks for the link. Looks like the air leaked off, releasing the brakes. Very scary.

Boris

Willie: Shame you cant get Natural Gas where you're at. Heat pumps work as long as the temperature doesn't get too low, My son has pesropane as a back-up to his in NC.
Propane is Liquefied Natural Gas, LNG. I do get it, I just use it for cooking only. They don't run gas lines out in the boonies as there aren't enough customers out here. I choose to heat with the wood for the present time. All of the wood that I use is free. I still go to my former employer and haul untreated pieces of oak, 3"x 4"x 42" for about half of what I use, (used to use it for 100%). The other half comes from trees that I purposely planted 35 years ago just for this reason. Both the wood heater and propane cook-stove reduce my dependence on the overpriced electric company.

Propane is Liquefied Natural Gas, LNG. I do get it, I just use it for cooking only. They don't run gas lines out in the boonies as there aren't enough customers out here. I choose to heat with the wood for the present time. All of the wood that I use is free. I still go to my former employer and haul untreated pieces of oak, 3"x 4"x 42" for about half of what I use, (used to use it for 100%). The other half comes from trees that I purposely planted 35 years ago just for this reason. Both the wood heater and propane cook-stove reduce my dependence on the overpriced electric company.
I got natural gas 1,000 feet away,so close yet so far.Propane for me.

Actually Propane is not Natural Gas Natural Gas can be purchased as Compressed Natural Gas CNG.

Good evening.

WINDOWS 10...I have been using WIN10 for quite a while now, and have learned to live with it. It's really not that different than WIN7, and as long as you can avoid using Microsoft's cloud and subscription software, it's tolerable. I don't like the fact that I can not delete Cortana and other embedded Microsoft Software, I don't use, I don't like the fact that even disabled Cortana uses 10% of my resources. But over all, I was able to avoid many of the pitfalls.

Chet: Sorry to hear you're in so much discomfort. Hope you find a solution quickly.

David: The wreck I referred to was in 1967, in Pennsylvania, Cabin cars remained in use until the labor agreements in 1985. In the incident I referred to, the flagman had torpedoes out and the train was protected by signals to the rear. Flagging was not required in Automatic Block territory. The crew of the train to the rear was impaired. there Is no way to protect against that.

Beady: Thanks for the link. Looks like the air leaked off, releasing the brakes. Very scary.

Boris

Howdy ....

Willie .... Your "Tony's Meats" look very nice. Thanks for your payers for my MIL.

Greg .... Your layout shots are excellent.

Chet ..... Your layout looks great. Sorry to hear your ribs are hurting in addition to your shoulder.

Jim ... I ike the photos you posted.

I'm sorry if I came across as nit picky. Most of us don't care about one heating source; over, another! Like everyone else at these forums when I see an opportunity to jump on a mistake I have a difficult time not doing so!

Louis, as for remembering this stuff, I started with computers when the method of data input was a punch card.
So did I! I knew machine language, Basic, DOS and more, but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday most of the time.

Don't undersell yourself, the depth and breadth of your knowledge, experience and the ability to recall it all is amazing!

My windows update for this laptop has become a PITA, but I'm not blaming Microsoft. I bought this laptop with the little 28GB SSD. Not to mention my grandson littered it with all kinds of apps and other crap. Add to that I let it sit on a shelf for over a year.

As I always I can find the source of most of my problems in the mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back