Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where to start?

David- Happy birthday!

Beady, Beady, Beady-I darn near sprayed my iced tea all over my laptop! Been awhile since I laughed that hard!

Mikey-Thanks to you and Beady, I got in trouble for laughing so hard while my wife was watching TV!

Boris-Nice work on the firehouse.

Ken-Looks just like satellite view on Google Earth! Nice detail.

Jim-Nice Christmas pic of 2141. Any info about it?

Sherrel-Looks like everyone was having a good time.

Garry-I would love a chance to see your layout! We're going to Tennessee the third week of January. Maybe things will work out!

Willie-The buildings look great! I worked a summer detasseling corn when I was 13. Took my money to Western Auto and bought the first new bike I ever had. I took meticulous care of it, and though many asked to ride it, no one else did for several years. I KNEW how HARD I WORKED to earn the money to buy it and I wasn't going to let anyone wreck it but ME!

Hard to believe it's been 5 years without Jeffrey. He truly who did so much with so little! A real master at making things work!

I remember the first two or three Christmas's, where the workers would all chip in and get cigarettes or alcohol or sometimes both, depending on the boss's habits. I quit smoking almost 28 years ago. At least I made a few good choices in my life.

Hope Louis posts some, I was wondering about him too.

Need to run, see you all later!

Bob : Thank you for your Be wish. It's appreciated.

Question....Is there a ho scale calculator for diameter (pipe for example) I seen some 1/4 inch x 5 ft. pex at home depot and was thinking of pipe loads for flat cars but trying to figure what size it would be. All I can find is length.
Tom- it is going to be basic math. Actual .25 " x 87 = 21.75 scale inches in HO.
Remember that the 1/4 " is the pipe inside diameter (ID), so be careful of the wall thickness when multiplied by 87. Has to "look right".
Same principle for O scale (x 48) or N scale ( x 166).

Tom- it is going to be basic math. Actual .25 " x 87 = 21.75 scale inches in HO.
Remember that the 1/4 " is the pipe inside diameter (ID), so be careful of the wall thickness when multiplied by 87. Has to "look right".
Same principle for O scale (x 48) or N scale ( x 166).
Thanks, I was thinking of water line pipe which is on the thick side. I think 24" is the max for plastic,the larger diameter is cement pipe.

Good morning y'all. Cold out there. Currently reading 34 here. I generally refuse to work when the temperature is below my age.

Enjoying my second cup of coffee and waiting out the cold. No train related activities yesterday, except for watching a few layout videos on YouTube and sitting down a few ideas for the fictional town that will be the center of my railroading universe. Trying to make up a history for the town while I am waiting for the real estate to build it on to become available.

James - great pics from Spencer. Great place to see all types of planes, trains, and automobiles. The train ride is a little lacking, since it never leaves the property, but it's still better than nothing. The SC Railroad Museum has less stuff to see, but a longer train ride.

Hope y'all have a great day.

Good Morning all,

Extra large coffee this morning...Thanks Flo!

Snow was melting yesterday, but got cold last night. Down to 18*. Supposed to be sunny again today with a high of 39* It only got to about 37* as the y forgot to add the affect if nearly 3" of snow. My driveway was clear when I got home yesterday evening as the sun did a great job of clearing it off. The grass area of the front yard still had its pristine layer of snow and looked pretty good this morning. It will probably be gone when I get home tonight though. I redid the grass last fall and the front yard looked very good all summer. Yes it is a lot of work, but the results were worth it. I even inspired the house next door to do her yard this spring and even the sod looks better. Now if we can get her neighbor and the 2 across the street, the neighborhood would looks even nicer. We have the perfect HOA...they don't do anything. I paid dues when I bought he house (not sure where they went) and haven't been accessed any other fees since.

I talked to the grandson about breaking and fixing his engine. He noticed it was a bit noisier but ran OK.

On a side note: Several years ago I was given a 6 DVD set of steam railroad videos with historians describing what you we going to see in the particular film they were showing. I found on one of the discs a video from UP called "Last of the Giants". It was made after the 4000 series was retired. The grandson and I watched it last night and he caught the line about "how lucky the boys of the age were that got to witness these locomotives in action". He said to me: Grandpa, I must be a lucky boy!"

Here is the clip from YouTube:

Good Morning All. Clear and 31° here. Headed to the upper 50's later today with plenty of sunshine. Plans today include taking a load of scrap over to the recycling center for some extra $$$ to spend at the LHS on my trip there Friday. Managed to get my DL at the DPS yesterday, got a restriction that I have to have my hearing aids in when I drive! Didn't know that they had that restriction. On the way, I noted that the cotton fields up the road are ready for picking; didn't look like a great year though.

Sausage, home fries and sunny-side up eggs this morning Flo, I miss Mel's home ground sausage. I'll cover the donuts for anybody who arrives before I leave.

Thanks for the likes and positive comments regarding my progress pictures yesterday; Johnny, Alan, Sherrel, Chad, Jerome, Ken, Curt, Hughie, Bob, Jim, Tom, Phil. Always appreciated.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued work on the Hardware & Feed Store. I finished applying the corrugated siding and painted it. Screwed one spot up and I will have to repair it with some putty today. Continued with my scratch-built loading dock; frame complete, decking next. Most of yesterday was actually spent on train shed maintenance; ran the shop vac for a while (man is that thing loud!), replaced three fluorescent bulbs in hard to access places, tidied up some shelves and emptied the trash cans. Since I didn't take any progress pictures yet, here's another shot from the archive.
This is another Bar Mill's kit known as Wicked Wanda's, a house of ill-repute. I repurposed it into a simple rooming house with a storage shed on the side.
03-09-17 010.JPG

Over to the right is a yard of dogs.
03-09-17 011.001.JPG

I have since added a bit more vegetation, I need to do some weathering when I get back to this area.

Alan -
Hi Willie! Looks like those window sills are still giving you fits!
Yes they are. Too much handling after I get them in place. Most are glued now instead of using their self-stick method. You're right about the laser-cuts/instructions. I see the same thing with AMB, JL Innovative, Blair Line and others. Mostly it's amusing, not bothersome. Nice work on the siding.
The wood corrugated siding is working out. There's a learning curve to it. Very thin and it will snap if it's handled roughly. I think that I will still prefer the metal siding after this is done.
Garry - Safe travels.
Chet - About once every ten years or so, we'll get hit with an ice storm of over an inch. Yes the fun really begins after the accumulated ice chips away and there are craters on the road. You and others can keep that cold weather! Here, we only average six days a year where the temperature doesn't rise above freezing for at least part of the day. Thankfully it is usually dry. There was of course the big freeze back in '82 or '83 where we had 21 days in a row with the temperature hovering between -1° and 24°, which I don't hope to ever see again! Too old to haul in that much firewood any more.
Bob - Can't believe that you guys could still move around dressed like that. I bet the Safety Officer had his hands full on that job.
Tom - Calculator
Jesse -
Currently reading 34 here. I generally refuse to work when the temperature is below my age
I like that philosophy. But at 67, it no longer works for me!

Everybody have an awesome day.

Good morning everyone. 27 and clear out there. Mostly back to normal in this town, although there are still a couple dozen schools closed for the third day!

Flip, Tom, Robots, Jim, B Bob, Willie, TexasHobo, Patrick, IB Ken, Roofintrash, Wheeler, Chad, Sherrel, Garry, Chet, Alan, ACL-CSX, Mikey, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my post yesterday.
Garry CBQ - Thanks for the reminder about Jeffrey Running Bear and the anniversary of his passing. I never knew him - I joined this Forum a half a year or so after he passed. How long has it been since Big Eric passed? I remember him and his posts.
Chet - Yeah, ice can be a killer for driving. It's pretty hilly in this part of the country - we're in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains - so a lot of schools close because they can't take the chance on running buses out in those hills when there's ice. I like those Tschache Oil Co photos.
Patrick - The drop from the house to the shed is very gentle - not sure of the exact height of drop. In nice weather the family plays games out there - had a 3-hour long game of frisbee back in July. We play horseshoes out there too. Probably couldn't play croquet though because of the slope.

Been doing some updating on the layout. Remember the work I did a couple of months ago on the north end of the town? I left the dairy building without any people. Well, they're back at work after a short walkout - wanted more money, so I gave them a 1:87 increase in pay :p

Dairy1Dec2019.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Alan -

Yes they are. Too much handling after I get them in place. Most are glued now instead of using their self-stick method. You're right about the laser-cuts/instructions. I see the same thing with AMB, JL Innovative, Blair Line and others. Mostly it's amusing, not bothersome. Nice work on the siding.
The wood corrugated siding is working out. There's a learning curve to it. Very thin and it will snap if it's handled roughly. I think that I will still prefer the metal siding after this is done.

I wondered if it was the self stick. There's really not enough area for it to work well on that part. It's great for inner & outer window parts that you press together, but sills? Not so much! Have you seen the couple demonstrating that superglue applicator at train shows? They call it the "Glue Looper". It works with thin CA, and works very well. I've been using it to make small repairs and such. It looks like it would solve this type of problem, as the glue wicks into the seam and disappears. For me the most frustrating thing about using CA is getting it where it belongs, and not ending up with the part glued to you. This tool solved that problem for me. Fits a standard X-acto handle. Just a thought. I went to the Dollar store and bought a three pack of shot glasses for a buck. I turn one upside down and place a few drops of CA on it. The dished bottom holds it nicely. I also have two left for more conventional uses if I get frustrated!
Glue Looper.JPG

Morning -- Sure no shortage of postings -- Reading and looking at the photos for almost an hour!
Hi, MEL, you are doubling up on the counter service this morn, I see. If you don't mind - just a large cup of coffee at the moment and I heard that was it- Tom, or Jesse - buying the donuts for everyone?

Today is shot already -- I found a place to get some firewood about 18 miles away that I can afford. I already told the proprietor that I will be there at 3 pm. I'm down to 1/2 dozen sticks and the dredges of some really dried-out old stuff that just smolders and creates a lot of ash. It will be my first time of purchasing as I have usually found enough "free" tree trimmings and such each year. If I would get this darn tree cut down that is next to my property line - then I would have enough wood for at least 2 years, maybe more.

The Spousal Unit is trying to wreck Christmas ... she was not paying attention last evening and fell back across the open door of the dishwasher- now the door is sprung and will not close. Thank God that she was not hurt! I do not know the first thing about how to even start to repair it. Sad thing is that we just replaced the machine maybe not much more than a year ago- and of course it is one of those "super quite" and expensive ones. GRRR!

Time for a refil!

Good morning America! It's 11 right now, supposed to get to 26............or so they say. This is also supposed to be the last cold day before getting back to the mid to high 40's. Again, we'll see!

By Willie:
Bob - Can't believe that you guys could still move around dressed like that. I bet the Safety Officer had his hands full on that job.

The Safety man on that job was from Alabama and didn't like the snow and cold. After the first (of many) snows, at our morning safety meeting he wanted to know if anyone had a safety concerns. I said yes, that we needed to be especially careful after the first snow to watch for snow snakes. They weren't really too much to worry about, as there was only one species in this area that was venomous and it was pretty rare. The biggest problem from them was being scared by one and possibly causing a fall.

He was taking the story hook, line and sinker, until the boilermaker GF started laughing. Then all the boilermakers, pipe fitters, electricians, operators and laborers started laughing and he knew he had been had. He told me later, when he was making his rounds, that he had doubts about what I was saying but he wasn't 100% sure because this was his first time spending a winter up north. He thought it was a pretty good joke, even at his expense.

The snow snake idea was from a cartoon that used to be in the newspaper called "Jerkymiah".

As far as moving around like that: The clothing did restrict your movement, especially when we did our exercises at our morning safety meetings. It caused you to make very deliberate moves when in precarious circumstances.

Sherrel- Bummer about the dishwasher. Thankfully, the Spousal Unit was OK.

Alan- I wondered how well those worked. Anything would be neater than a toothpick for detail work.

Johnny- Nice work on the dairy.

Willie- Nice work on Wicked Wanda's. Have you ever given a photo tour of your layout? The pictures you've posted are very intriguing.

Morning everyone!

Flo - I'll have french toast, bacon, a small order of grits with butter and coffee.

Beady - good to hear your starting on the 2nd half of your layout. Sounds like a good plan and I'm looking forward to some progress photos.

Willie - Yep - those shop vacs are loud and I use ear plugs. I see they have mufflers for them, but wonder how much they restrict the "sucking" power. I have to give the Mrs. "fair warning" before turning it on, as it's annoyingly loud upstairs.

Johnny - that's funny about the dairy employee's walk out and the 1:87 pay increase :plol

Yesterday, I made a special trip to the bank to payoff our mortgage. The mortgage person wasn't in and would be gone for the day, as she had training at the main office. :rolleyes: So not to make it a wasted trip, we stopped for breakfast. Sorry Flo, at least I'm here this morning.
I finished re-coupling my newly acquired used BB Conrail SD40-2 and completed re-installing my mainline bridge, after taking it out for the layout construction. My intention to just test the SD40-2 and get back to construction, was short lived. I hooked another SD40-2, then 13 coal hoppers and just sat there watching. It's been almost a month since I ran trains. I was really enjoying it, then the Mrs. called me upstairs to help with something.:( So I'm gonna stay home today and spend a few hours on the layout. :)

Everyone have a nice day!
Jim

Oh . . . I got a new derailer/uncoupler

CRnD15c.jpg

Algoma Central @ Montreal Falls ON - 1981
nc6AZIr.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, BBob - when she went down it terrified me! I was so afraid that she had hit her head on the counter behind her, or the tile floor!

For the record - it is 37 degrees this morning, supposed to work up to 62 later on. Yesterday was a miserable day, for us, to do much of anything. Just about the worst Sanna Anna winds that I can remember for around here. I just looked out back and I see that the yard is a mess with the patio chairs, cushions, plants, and everything else scattered all over the yard. I probably have another 7-8 gals of those damn "beans" to sweep and vacuum up again.

JIM = I think I will let you keep your uncoupler! Is that a live one? Sure looks like it!
That is a downright AWESOME photo - beautiful!

Question....Is there a ho scale calculator for diameter (pipe for example) I seen some 1/4 inch x 5 ft. pex at home depot and was thinking of pipe loads for flat cars but trying to figure what size it would be. All I can find is length.
Go to the app store and look for the Woodland Scenics ModelScaler (one word). It will scale anything to anything and back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back