Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya gang!
I've been M.I.A. of late, life has been sooooo busy with a new wife and her kids, plus now grandkids and my youngest getting engaged. SWMBO's house is now a memory as we blend the households, (as is half the garage) now the holidays are upon us. Unfortunately that puts the trains on the back burner until early next year. oh well, I've survived that before!
I haven't had a chance to review 20 pages back yet, but so far I see that IBKen has been busy, B Bob has retired (congrats!) Garry lost his MIL (my condolences to you and Shelly) Beady and Mikey are still bringing the laughs and Sherrel has never met my cat!
I'm sure there are great pics going back to my last visit (20 pages ago) and I will get there eventually. Until then, I will peek in from time to time, just like Santa.....I'll be watchin you!

Thanks for all the "likes" and supportive comments - B-Bob, Sherrell, Tom, Jim, Hughie, David, Chet, Jerome, Phil, and Joe! That separate thread I promised earlier has now been posted.

Mikey - I meant to offer my condolences for your family and club woes earlier today, but I totally forgot...sorry about that!

Karl, good to see you back!

Ken: nice progress, not exactly the easiest thing to replicate either.
Thanks Joe, I definitely don't have ready access to visit a prototype location of that operation and get photos nowadays LOL! (Btw - nice work on the firehouse!)

Ken-Looks just like satellite view on Google Earth! Nice detail.
Appreciate it Bob! Funny you should mention GoogleEarth, those trails are hardly even visible when viewed from a trackside perspective - kinda makes me wonder why I did it (nevermind I already know the answer: :p ).

Good evening Track Gang.

Hello Francine, Flo, a very chilly day and evening. Started out at 34°F>>48°F currently 39°F with Humidity as high as 92% currently at 83% burr. How about a bowl of Mulligan stew & hot coffee.

It's been a good way to spend the day besides having to make a couple of trips out back for fire wood. I need to add more even now.

Boris:. As far the one model of the diesel derailing when other similar models didn't it's probably due to some idosyncracy with the more expensive ones. Like you found out the truck side frames hit the frame or the shell somehow preventing the needed movement.

There's a certain psychological preset in our thinkng, as you mentioned, that we must have done something wrong, when it was a manufacturing defect in actuality.

I had similar issue with my AGEIR boxcab diesels and limited truck movement.

Hope all have a good day tomorrow Monday.

An addition:. Like Ken, Mickey I'm sorry to hear about the club mishap as well my sympathy for any other unfortunate events I failed to mention.

Good morning y'all.

Waiting for the first cup of coffee to start working. Flo, how about a waffle, two eggs, and a side...no, make it two sides of bacon.

Still waiting for my last package from eBay to arrive. Interested to see how the new engine runs. The ad said it had a slight wobble. I'm assuming that is code for it runs like crap, but perhaps it can be rebuilt without too much effort.

Hoping to get an opportunity soon to try to work on my mini layout. Planning to start building my scrap yard soon. (Hopefully life and I can work out an agreement there.)

Y'all have a good one. May come back for a second cup of coffee before beginning the work day.

Good Morning Everyone. 36° and cloudy. High today only expected to reach 42° and then we return to normal for a while. Busy week coming up with car trips every day. We'll sometimes go 4-5 days without getting in the car, except going to get the mail a mile away.
Mornin' Flo. Those waffles that you got Jesse look really good this morning, extra bacon as well.

Thanks everyone for the likes and comments yesterday for the street corner picture; Bob, Jerome, Jim, Tom, Sherrel, Phil, Rick, Ken, Curt, David, Patrick. I have updates today after charging the camera battery.

The burn-out in the train shed didn't last long and I got back to work on the Hardware & Feed store. It's beginning to look really nice. Touched up the painting all around, finished the small tower and added signs and the first details.
12-16-19 002.JPG

12-16-19 003.JPG

Front porch is next.
12-16-19 004.JPG

There is no stair parts at all for this side door, or the one on the other side. I will use stairs from some ancient Walther's stair and ladder kit. I am also planning to scratch-build a loading dock for that double door.
12-16-19 005.JPG

You may be asking about that tall tower. Well it seems that the corrugated siding for it didn't make it into box, and I am awaiting delivery from Bar Mills.
Speaking of Bar Mills, here's another surprise from the instruction sheet.
12-16-19 001.001.JPG

Ken - Nice "Google view" of the cement distributor.
Bob - I had forgotten about Forgottonnia from the 60's. We actually studied it in high school for about a half hour back then.
Joe - You're absolutely correct about doing the PT afterward. Why waste the time and effort if you don't completely follow through like your neighbor?
I really like the interior of the fire station.

Everybody have a great day.

Been another night - DRAT! Oh, Good Morning Peeps!
Been awake for over an hour = up for a half-hour, don't know why, but pretty soon I think I will be able to work the graveyard shift. I fell asleep somewhere during the PIT/BUF game ... then the dog decided that it was time to go upstairs and get into the real bed; the Spousal Unit never made it off of the couch - was still there when I grabbed a cup this morning.
Flo - I'll order something later - don't want to "poke the bear" just yet - she might want me to hang something else.
Around the doorway and entrance inside it looks as if LOUIS dumped his entire load ... with a houseful of kids and Gkids on the way, everything is getting delivered here - joy, joy!

I hope all are doing better: I lost a good friend from Laughlin yesterday - only 67 years old. His last few weeks on this earth was something that I would not wish on my worst enemies - terrible!

Willie -- Just noticed your post while typing - WOW looking great!

Supposed to be 67 degrees later on - up from 62 yesterday, but windy ... yesterday they had really high winds from the Cajon Pass down to LAX of 40-55 MPH.

DAVID - Happy Birthday -- I meant to call you yesterday, but life interrupted ... maybe I can get to it today?

Good Morning all,

Snow and Ice are shutting down a lot of schools in the area. Supposed to hit all morning into afternoon.

Busy weekend. The wife's family Christmas get together was canceled yesterday due to freezing drizzle in the area. So I got more train time than expected. I'll post some here and more on my layout thread, which hasn't been updated in a while. In the process I dropped one of the grandson's Thomas engines on the tiled portion under the layout and although no visible damage, the motor would run, the eyes move but not run down the tracks. took it apart (which was it's own adventure) and finally got the gears lined back up and it runs fine NOW. (90 minutes I'll never get back). I had to leave it overnight and look at it again Saturday morning. Took 10 minutes at that point to actually fix it.

I had my little friend checking the rails:

20191213_192832.jpg

I've had this 1929 Track inspection car for several years. It is brass and fairly heavy for it's size.
I did run trains this weekend as it is nice to have track that doesn't derail everything. I also managed to finally repair the E7 I dropped breaking the front coupler box. I had originally used model glue, but it wasn't right. So I finally took kit apart enough to get access to the front coupler mount and after cleaning the old glue off the parts (it came off easily), I used some cyanoacrylate (super glue) to fix it.

20191215_180459.jpg
20191215_180452.jpg

It will pull 2 box cars. I still have to reassemble the front it, but I was happy I finally got it right.

Montanan: I actually have 2 Kadee height gauges, but the tender coupler sits way too low. It is better with the Kadee #24. It actually hits the same height as the engine with a Kadee #5. The engine\tender combo sit at about 1/3 couple height too low. A #24 on the front of the engine sits exactly correct. At this point I think I'm needing to raise the tender on the trucks. I do have to be careful as the tender is part of the electrical contact.

David: Happy Belated Birthday.

Pnkfloyd: Sorry to hear about your sister and MIL. It does sound like the MIL is doing better.

Good morning everyone. 28 and drizzling out there. Will turn to sleet and snow most of today. A mess! Hi, Flo - - I'm ready for pancakes, a couple of eggs scrambled, hash browns, and coffee, thanks.

Haven't been on the forum since last Thursday. Tried to catch up on all the posts this morning.

Tom, IB Ken, Garry, Robots, Chet, Boris, Tom, Flip, Willie, TexasHobo, Patrick, Greg, Wheeler, Max, Curt, Jim, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on Uncle Walt's structure photo in my last post.
Beady - That Roto-Wipe - does the deluxe model come with interchangeable wheels, one for each member of the family?!?!:D
Willie - Nice pix, as always. You get any of this winter weather in your neck of the woods, or did it miss you?
Pink Floyd (Mikey) - Prayers for you and your family as you go through a difficult time during these holidays.

Over the weekend I did some landscaping I had thought about for a while. Along the main road through Pine Valley, I had tried to keep two lanes, one for parking and one for travel, in each direction. But decided to eliminate the parking lane along the tracks and landscape it. What do you think of it?

Town1Dec2019.jpg
Town3Dec2019.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Attachments

• Town1Dec2019.jpg
    Town1Dec2019.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 112
Willie- the hardware and feed building is becoming Majestic indeed. And your planned loading dock should make it even better.
If a company can acknowledge a error in the instructions, why cannot they correct the error in the kit or change the instruction to tell you the parts are not supplied? I suppose you do not have an answer, either.
I am really enjoying your progress reports!

Good Morning all,

Snow and Ice are shutting down a lot of schools in the area. Supposed to hit all morning into afternoon.

Busy weekend. The wife's family Christmas get together was canceled yesterday due to freezing drizzle in the area. So I got more train time than expected. I'll post some here and more on my layout thread, which hasn't been updated in a while. In the process I dropped one of the grandson's Thomas engines on the tiled portion under the layout and although no visible damage, the motor would run, the eyes move but not run down the tracks. took it apart (which was it's own adventure) and finally got the gears lined back up and it runs fine NOW. (90 minutes I'll never get back). I had to leave it overnight and look at it again Saturday morning. Took 10 minutes at that point to actually fix it.

I had my little friend checking the rails:

View attachment 42371

I've had this 1929 Track inspection car for several years. It is brass and fairly heavy for it's size.
I did run trains this weekend as it is nice to have track that doesn't derail everything. I also managed to finally repair the E7 I dropped breaking the front coupler box. I had originally used model glue, but it wasn't right. So I finally took kit apart enough to get access to the front coupler mount and after cleaning the old glue off the parts (it came off easily), I used some cyanoacrylate (super glue) to fix it.

View attachment 42373View attachment 42372

It will pull 2 box cars. I still have to reassemble the front it, but I was happy I finally got it right.

Montanan: I actually have 2 Kadee height gauges, but the tender coupler sits way too low. It is better with the Kadee #24. It actually hits the same height as the engine with a Kadee #5. The engine\tender combo sit at about 1/3 couple height too low. A #24 on the front of the engine sits exactly correct. At this point I think I'm needing to raise the tender on the trucks. I do have to be careful as the tender is part of the electrical contact.

David: Happy Belated Birthday.

Pnkfloyd: Sorry to hear about your sister and MIL. It does sound like the MIL is doing better.

Nice repair job Patrick, did the shell survive intact??

Need some ham and eggs, Flo. Make'm sunny side up.............the sunnier, the better. Add some dry toast and coffee, if you would, please. Thanks!

It's 23 degrees and we have between 4-5 inches of snow. Appears to be light and fluffy. If I can help it, I don't plan on going out to see! I can hear people clearing their driveways with their four wheelers. More of an excuse to play in the snow, than a necessity. The weather predictor is guessing temps up to 50 by the weekend, hope they're right!

Willie- The hardware/feed store is really looking good!

Patrick- Love the track inspection car.

Johnny- The landscaped street is perfect! It captures that small town America look.

Sherrel- Sorry to hear about your friend.

I think it's the Texas Hobo who says "the conductor". I think that is a term that my wife wouldn't mind my using, so if he doesn't care, I may start to use it too. With that, I hear the conductor calling! Later!

Nice repair job Patrick, did the shell survive intact??

Yes it did. I hadn't installed the "details" on it yet, but those are still there. I have broken one of the lower ladders (that hang down below the shell) but I figure I'll fix that as\when I need to.

Bob: It's a Broadway Limited car I picked up at one of the trains shows before I moved in 2012. It was cheaper than the list price of the time and less than 1/2 of what they want for the same car list price.

Last edited:
Good Morning/ 17 degrees to start off the day and we may hit the low 30's later today.

Been MIA again. Totally forgot that we had a bowling tournament in Laurel, MT last weekend. Did the Friday night league bowling (took 4 games) and then got up early, picked up another couple and headed east. Had top bowl both Saturday and Sunday doing singles, doubles and team. Finally made it home yesterday afternoon. I was beat. I think my butt was dragging out my tracks 10 feet behind me.

Jim - Like that CN steamer in Kamloops. Sweet. Beats the UP photo. Ouch, Parts all over the place. It will probably take you longer to sort things out than it did to pick them up.

Sherrel
- Nice group photo for Christmas.

The videos of the cat waking up their human in the morning is almost the same as out little doxie. When she is hungry, it IS time to get out of bed and feed her.

thumbnail_20191206_110249.jpg

IBKen
- Nice Drone photo.

Beady
- Like the old cigarette ads. I can remember one where a doctor recommends a brand. I finally quit last summer after being a smoker for 50 years. Can remember getting a carton for $3.50.

Joe
- Like you attitude for the knee replacement. Reminds me of my shoulder. Let's get it done and over with. Like the photo.

Mikey
- The brain power clip is right on.

Terry
- Have been to the Mount Rainier National Park. Breath taking. Unfortunately, I did not get to visit the Mount Rainier Scenic Railway. Next time.

CA Dave - Nice to see you back in here. Happy Birthday (late).

Karl -
Nice to see you back in here. Nice of you to chime in with all you have going on.

Willie - Great photos as usual. The Feed store build really came out great. Also like the photo of the Natural Food store. Thumb up.gif

Patrick
- Sounds like you have the coupler problem all figures out. Some of the older locomotives can be a hassle to convert to Kadee couplers.

Johnny
- Really like your "Main Street" photos. Great !

Haven't see the train room for a while. May have to pay it a visit later today.

Here are a couple of photo for youz guys on the east coast.

Screenshot_2019-12-14 CSX J757 Anchorage, KY.jpg

Screenshot_2019-12-14 CSX Q23103 Main Street - La Grange, KY 12 04 2019.jpg

Later

This may be borderline blasphemy for a southern redneck to say, but I. Hate. Mud. Wasn't able to complete my irrigation install last week before it rained for nearly 36 hours straight. We had 2 days of sun, but it did nothing to dry out what I really needed to be dry today. Had to rent another piece of equipment that wasn't in the budget and now I'm off to buy dirt. Oh well. #lifeinthesouth #smallbusinesswoes. Y'all have a great day. I'm going to go be positive and not let things beyond my control have negative effects on my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back