Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone....off to a late start this morning and feeling a bit down with a cold so I took the day basically off from Model Railroading.

I did repair an ancient pine cone wreath that once belonged o my MIL. I used Walter's GOO for the repairs and made a hanging ring out of soft picture hanging wire and soldered the twisted ends. Good for another 100 years. I promise that tomorrow will be a more productive day. Next I'll do my Walther's list for a trip to Walther's Thursday or Friday.

I did run a older Atlas Classic Alco and it sure is a sweet runner. I can see why Chet likes this locomotives. Several days ago I patched CM&N on the cab sides using white decal and they sure stand out. One of these days I need to remove the cab and change the resistor I use for the 1.5 volt beacon lamp and change out the headlight.

That's all for now......................

Greg

#################################

Good afternoon. A warm start to the day at 26 degrees and it is currently sunny and 42. I did manage to get the tractor started yesterday despite the 2 degree low and got the driveway plowed. Really didn't need it with only around 7 inches of very light snow, but I got bored.

Johnny - The outpost looks good. Nice work.

IBKen - Hope they have all of the parts for yur furnace. May get chilly without a good source of heat.

Alcomaniac Grin.gif Those are some really impressive photos. Appreciate the posting. If that '61 Corvette needs a home, I now have a bit more room in my shop.

Instead of going to the photo archives today and with winter closing in on us, here is a video of Western Maryland steam. The smoke coming out of this locomotive is what I remember, not the stuff coming out of model locomotives that look like someone left a cigarette in an ash tray burning. Let them model that.

Later

Last edited:
Evening fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Working on updating wheels on some of my hoppers. Now I have in my possession some metal wheel sets that are non magnetic. All of my other metal wheels sets will stick to a magnet. They are grey in color until I clean them up. Anyone have any ideas as to who the manufacturer is? Sorry for the poor lighting in my picture. It doesn't really show much of a difference between the two sets. The bottom is one I've cleaned. The top is one I haven't cleaned yet.
View attachment 41877
Looks like Proto wheels to me.

Evening All,

Went to Wally World earlier then pretty much vegged out. Both the wife and I are fighting colds, but she has it worse. Talked to Phil for a few minutes.

Chet- Nice video.

Espee- Beautiful horse car and nice looking weathering.

Mikey- Interesting "O" scale layout.

Ken- You're making good progress.

CA Dave- I really like mincemeat pie, but only my Dad and I do in our family.

Max- Nice rail shots.

I hope everyone has a good night.

A couple shots of our Gardner Tie & Timber On30 scale layout. A 1930's swamp logging operation still under construction.
We were able to get two grants to help build this layout and purchase rolling stock.
All, but two kit bashed buildings are scratch built structures. Half are built from narrow gauge magazine plans and half from pictures.
O 001a - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• O 07a - Copy.JPG
    O 07a - Copy.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 166
  • O 011a - Copy.JPG
    O 011a - Copy.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 171
Old man winter is on his way to FLA. I know it's not nearly as cold here as up north but 38* for us'ns is COLD!!!.
Hope y'all stay warm and dry. Prayers,
Phil

TOMORROW- [DICT. NOUN] A MYTHICAL LAND WHERE I GET ALL MY STUFF DONE

Good morning. It's cloudy and 34.
I don't know if I mentioned it, but we had some serious issues with PayPal a couple of weeks ago. I believe I've taken steps to prevent the issue from recurring. I opened a second bank account, removed all my previous info from my PayPal, and added the second bank info in its place. Time will tell if PayPal figures out a way to screw it up now...

Good morning everyone. 30 and clear out there. Coffee time!!

I've got the day off work, to roam around town and go to the places I want to go!!!! Some Christmas shopping, some errands, etc.

Clint, Boris, Tom, Chad, Wheeler, Willie, Patrick, Robots, Jim, Chessie, Flip, Chet, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my post yesterday.

Well, out for some more coffee, maybe a chocolate croissant, and then to the stores.

Have a good day everyone.

Rats - meant to ask - - the other day we were in a store and they played a song I had not heard before, about Santa's ever-increasing waistline, and how he had to get fat in order to do his work. Something like, "Heyyyy, Santa, with that 32 waistline . . . . ." and then later, "Heyyy, Santa, that 55 waistline . . . ." and on it goes until he gets to a "99 waistline." I've tried searching for that song's title, but haven't found it yet.. Anyone know that one?

Rats - meant to ask - - the other day we were in a store and they played a song I had not heard before, about Santa's ever-increasing waistline, and how he had to get fat in order to do his work. Something like, "Heyyyy, Santa, with that 32 waistline . . . . ." and then later, "Heyyy, Santa, that 55 waistline . . . ." and on it goes until he gets to a "99 waistline." I've tried searching for that song's title, but haven't found it yet.. Anyone know that one?

JD MCPHERSON

"Hey Skinny Santa!"

Good Morning All. 40° and clear. Another day of great weather here. My plans for a productive day in the train shed yesterday were sidetracked by Christmas. Got out the boxes of stuff that will not be used and sort through it again. Since downsizing the tree to 18" from 7', I just don't need all of this junk anymore.
Hey there Francine, you know that a bacon and cheese sandwich sounds great this morning. How much bacon? At least twice what fits.

Looks like building a laser-cut wood kit might just be my next project in the train shed. I am not ready for these structures yet, but I am itching to build one. Here's my two choices. What do you think?
Majestic Hardware & Feed
12-03-19 001.JPG

Or Stanley Stove & Boiler Company; which will be repurposed into a different industry.
12-03-19 002.JPG

Garry - Continued prayers for Shelly's mom.
Ken - I can relate to that rain/woodstove thing. I have a box that will hold about a 36 hour supply and keep a few extra logs stashed under the stove itself drying. Since most of my wood only gets wet on the outside, it dries pretty rapidly.
Everybody have a great day.

Lurking for about an hour - not a good night!
Enjoying all the good postings and great photos from all.

Chet - That WM steam probably has Karl wetting his pants about now?
That's a beautiful sight; brings back thoughts of being a kid again and riding the little 2-6-2 of the Reader Railroad in the cab with my dad.
I realize that the steam condensation produced a lot of the effect, but what a GREAT Viedo!

So after some digging around in my junk box. The wheels I have cleaned up are from walthers. I repurpose parts on items that have been broken during moves or what not. It is what I call a hard lesson learned. I've lost a lot of my railroad stuff to moves. I'll salvage what I can. I keep the broke stuff around for reasons I don't know. Usually I can repurpose parts. The walther wheels fit perfectly in my old athearn cars. Makes for good replacements for the plastic wheels. Now if I can come across some decent couplers to replace the atlas couplers on two of my hoppers I'll be in business. I had all of my good couplers I've saved in a small bag somewhere around my layout. So I guess some more digging is required. I have been working on the layout some as well. Putting my ballast down where my tunnels will be located. Probably should add feeders to those areas too before they get enclosed. I'll get that figured out in time.

Morning all,

Busy this morning as I'm the only one in today. Nothing done on the train side yesterday. I've got to get wiring completed so I can test the latest tracks live.

Willie: I agree with Sherrel. Go for the Hardware and feed ....

https://genius.com/Jd-mcpherson-hey-skinny-santa-lyrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back