Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
An MRL seasonal pic
1575582368401.png

And the explanation
Seen in the photo at Roberts St. in Helena is evidence of an operational
change made possible with the opening of the Carter St. Yard. Instead of
cutting in the helpers at Helena Jct., they were cut in at Carter Street.
Formerly, cutting in helpers in town would have blocked three grade
crossings, Roberts St., Montana Ave, and National Ave. This should not
eliminate the Helena Jct. operation as many westbounds do not get yarded at
Carter St.

Vance in Helena

"Mikey- Nice photos. Is that your grandson? "
Curt- That young man was unknown to me until he spent about an hour circling the layout. His mother finally stopped to talk to me at one corner as he kept following a train around the layout. My youngest grandson just turned 14 and is almost 6 foot tall. He still checks out the trains once a year. Thanks for the kind comments about the pictures. I have a few more to share.H 066a - Copy.JPGH 038a - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• H 039 nbeavers - Copy.JPG
    H 039 nbeavers - Copy.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 162
  • H 059a - Copy.JPG
    H 059a - Copy.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 155
  • H 067 - Copy.JPG
    H 067 - Copy.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 150
Don't know how I managed the photos in the comments, must be that I'm just talented.
The first photo shows a award winning, scratch built curved trestle over the beaver pond; beavers in photo 2.
A steel mill lights up as the blast furnace operates.
My favorite billboard is on a building near the seed & feed co-op. Our insurance agent member does a little advertising for auto and accident insurance.

Good Afternoon Everyone...sunset time here in Wisconsin. Will get cold around zero in a few days. So off to Walthers tomorrow rather than today.

Worked on the layout today I after starting and finishing some small projects I feel better and I am looking forward to working on the layout tomorrow and the weekend to get things finished and ready to showoff to the visiting relatives next week. Wired the arc welder and I'm not really happy with the LED's instead of lamps. The LED are really brigth and no way to reduce voltage. But, for less than $10 for entire assembly its workable.

Ran my MSN locomotive and I had to clean the wheels. It runs great and with six axles is a real puller. It lightly weathered like a road warrior, but no heavy rust, just dirt and oil. Tomorrow the patched Wisconsin Central gets a work out.

I'll run two trains at the same time and then pull something out on the main and run three.

Solve the hidden uncoupler problem...it's in a location where I forgot I moved it and you can see it from a different angle than before when I was looking for it.

Almost Miller Time.

Greg

###################################

AA5DED9C-DB70-40C4-A770-7BA46D1797B2.jpeg
This SW1500 is DCC equipped and I wish it had sound. I have several other SW1500's and I may just change out the shells. The former Wisconsin Central was patched for my CM&N. The hand rail has since been repaired. Soon to come are the other photos of the locomotives and rolling stock that Steve did for me.-Greg

Last edited:
Good evening ...

Patrick .... Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

I just took a sanity break in the train room to run trains. .... Remarkably, I have owned an original Walthers Super Chief set since they released it about 15 years ago. Mine has been in its new boxes for all of those years. This evening, I took the train out of its boxes for the first time. The Walthers train has 8 cars. I do have 3 extra Santa Fe sleepers to add to the train, but I have not yet done that. ...... Each car needs grab irons and other detail installed which are included in the box. That means I must drill a lot of holes with #80 drills.

To pull the train, I'm now using FM Erie Built passenger locomotive units made by Proto1000 which are also about 15 years old. I do have a Santa Fe book with a photo of FM Erie Builts pulling the Super Chief in the early 1950's. . By the late 1950's, EMD F-units were used exclusively for the Super Chief.

I do have a set of Santa Fe F3's (ABBA) made by Stewart which are also about 15 years old and still in original boxes. They need decoders for my DCC layout.

49175778852_8e76b1d163_k.jpg

I had just the one shot. Even so, given how mild my symptoms were, I may forego the Shingrix since it sounds like your reaction to the inoculation is worse than my symptoms were to the actual disease. Otoh, maybe this is something I should mention to my doctor: my past symptoms may not be a predictor of a future recurrence.

Hope you feel better, soonest.
Beady - thanks, I was totally back to normal by noontime today. I've always been one to "err on the side of caution", so you could very well be right. Probably worth asking your doctor about though...

Patrick - I checked with my [M.D.] wife, and it turns out I was wrong...and your wife is right! (Isn't that typically how it always seems to happen LOL!) If blood tests show you've been exposed to chickenpox, then the v.zoster virus IS in your body - you just had such a mild case of the disease that you probably didn't even know you had it.

Garry - sorry to hear about your MIL, will pray for her and for Shelley!

James - thanks for sharing that news about Josh B., he and I "followed" each other regularly on here back-in-the-day! I was worried about him since none of us had heard from him in more than a decade.

I mentioned earlier that I'd do some layout work if I felt better, so I did. The most recent photo I shared of my project area showed some trees that were loosely positioned to hide the end of the warehouse; well, today I took steps to make them permanent. I drilled holes to mount the ones that were on uneven ground, and cemented and camouflaged the bases with dead "leaves" on the others:

SouthBrooklynTreeBasesCemented.jpg

The exposed "stump" above is where I placed my largest tree, the one that actually covers the end wall of the warehouse. I decided to use a shorter tree in the foreground, because it didn't look right having 3 trees of the same height so close together:

SouthBrooklynTreeSceneFinalized.jpg

Next is something I haven't decided on yet: Whether to re-use the gray building that formerly represented this lineside industry as a background structure. It not only makes the current industry look larger, but also, it covers the ugly hole in the backdrop where my staging tracks emerge. The only downside is, I had to reposition the water tower so it isn't quite as prominent. That was necessary because, in its earlier spot, the water tank was casting an unsightly shadow on the backdrop since it was so close to it; here it is further away from it and the shadow isn't quite as obvious:

SouthBrooklynIndustryBldgRe-org_edited.jpg

The gray building looks totally flat in this head-on view, but it's actually ~4 inches deep. The tall tree at the left also serves to hide part of the staging hole-in-the-wall.

MOH beckons, time to run...goodnite!

Good evening ...

Patrick .... Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

I just took a sanity break in the train room to run trains. .... Remarkably, I have owned an original Walthers Super Chief set since they released it about 15 years ago. Mine has been in its new boxes for all of those years. This evening, I took the train out of its boxes for the first time. The Walthers train has 8 cars. I do have 3 extra Santa Fe sleepers to add to the train, but I have not yet done that. ...... Each car needs grab irons and other detail installed which are included in the box. That means I must drill a lot of holes with #80 drills.

To pull the train, I'm now using FM Erie Built passenger locomotive units made by Proto1000 which are also about 15 years old. I do have a Santa Fe book with a photo of FM Erie Builts pulling the Super Chief in the early 1950's. . By the late 1950's, EMD F-units were used exclusively for the Super Chief.

I do have a set of Santa Fe F3's (ABBA) made by Stewart which are also about 15 years old and still in original boxes. They need decoders for my DCC layout.

49175778852_8e76b1d163_k.jpg
Thats awesome! I do like those FM units, UP had them as well.

Beady - thanks, I was totally back to normal by noontime today. I've always been one to "err on the side of caution", so you could very well be right. Probably worth asking your doctor about though...

Patrick - I checked with my [M.D.] wife, and it turns out I was wrong...and your wife is right! (Isn't that typically how it always seems to happen LOL!) If blood tests show you've been exposed to chickenpox, then the v.zoster virus IS in your body - you just had such a mild case of the disease that you probably didn't even know you had it.

Garry - sorry to hear about your MIL, will pray for her and for Shelley!

James - thanks for sharing that news about Josh B., he and I "followed" each other regularly on here back-in-the-day! I was worried about him since none of us had heard from him in more than a decade.

I mentioned earlier that I'd do some layout work if I felt better, so I did. The most recent photo I shared of my project area showed some trees that were loosely positioned to hide the end of the warehouse; well, today I took steps to make them permanent. I drilled holes to mount the ones that were on uneven ground, and cemented and camouflaged the bases with dead "leaves" on the others:

View attachment 42010

The exposed "stump" above is where I placed my largest tree, the one that actually covers the end wall of the warehouse. I decided to use a shorter tree in the foreground, because it didn't look right having 3 trees of the same height so close together:

View attachment 42011

Next is something I haven't decided on yet: Whether to re-use the gray building that formerly represented this lineside industry as a background structure. It not only makes the current industry look larger, but also, it covers the ugly hole in the backdrop where my staging tracks emerge. The only downside is, I had to reposition the water tower so it isn't quite as prominent. That was necessary because, in its earlier spot, the water tank was casting an unsightly shadow on the backdrop since it was so close to it; here it is further away from it and the shadow isn't quite as obvious:

View attachment 42016

The gray building looks totally flat in this head-on view, but it's actually ~4 inches deep. The tall tree at the left also serves to hide part of the staging hole-in-the-wall.

MOH beckons, time to run...goodnite!
Ken- I hope he will find time to pop in here. He had struggled for quite some time and is making progress to the road of recovery or norms. He is a great guy. As I said b4 he has some serious talents in this hobby. Funny ya know I was gone for some time to but it is cool and neat to be back here. To still see some members I knew back in the beginning. is awesome too.

EDIT:: Note I mentioned I have not been here in a long time like 10 years. I decided to do some reading on some old posts etc in regards to JBaakko. I do not condone his inaction and disservice to some of the forum members here in the passt. Hopefully he has changed for the better. If any of you reconnect with him. I would say proceed with caution. After doing my research and reading of certain events on a string of conversations on this forum. Even I will be leary but one shall have a chance for redemption. Again I must in just good afterthought caution everyone. Thanks no harm no foul. James

James

Last edited:
Good Afternoon Everyone...sunset time here in Wisconsin. Will get cold around zero in a few days. So off to Walthers tomorrow rather than today.

Worked on the layout today I after starting and finishing some small projects I feel better and I am looking forward to working on the layout tomorrow and the weekend to get things finished and ready to showoff to the visiting relatives next week. Wired the arc welder and I'm not really happy with the LED's instead of lamps. The LED are really brigth and no way to reduce voltage. But, for less than $10 for entire assembly its workable.

Ran my MSN locomotive and I had to clean the wheels. It runs great and with six axles is a real puller. It lightly weathered like a road warrior, but no heavy rust, just dirt and oil. Tomorrow the patched Wisconsin Central gets a work out.

I'll run two trains at the same time and then pull something out on the main and run three.

Solve the hidden uncoupler problem...it's in a location where I forgot I moved it and you can see it from a different angle than before when I was looking for it.

Almost Miller Time.

Greg

###################################

View attachment 42008
This SW1500 is DCC equipped and I wish it had sound. I have several other SW1500's and I may just change out the shells. The former Wisconsin Central was patched for my CM&N. The hand rail has since been repair. Soon to come are the other photos of the locomotives and rolling stock that Steve did for me.-Greg
Very nice work on that SW1500 wow! Is it just me? or does the need for sound isn't always a necessary thing to have? I mean I have some locos with sound but I have no desire to install sound in all my locos....hmmm

Today is day 4 of trying to get FedEx to deliver a package to our house. The first three times they said they tried, my wife was sitting in the front picture window all day waiting for them. She never saw a FedEx truck, and they never left a delivery attempt notice on our door like they say they require.

Good morning all. 42 and partly cloudy. They are giving a 20% chance of showers today. Which in the south means "it might rain somewhere, sometime today, we're not really sure but you've been advised.". Seeing some really good modeling pics, hate that I can't contribute but I'm pretty sure that y'all ain't interested in a barren blue expanse of foam. Lol. However, I can share my latest eBay score. My wife doesn't know much about the hobby (despite efforts to suck her into the pit with me), so she lets me pick what I want and say it's from her. Since we are in the Christmas season, I found a gift for myself and now it's on its way. Of course, since we are in the Christmas season, I can't actually have it until Christmas. :rolleyes: But I did score it for the low cost of shipping (and tax) only due to a $5 coupon. So for less than $11 I added another car to my Daylight excursion fleet. Now if I could only add enough space to the house to actually build a line for it to run on.....

Y'all have a good day. And if you happen to see Flo around, I could use a cup and one of them cinnamon rolls.

50FE099F-CD88-4EE7-B404-E46558AB7B9B.png

Good morning everyone. 43 and clear. Nice weekend coming up, but the bottom drops out early next week. Getting me ready for Christmas, I guess?!

Jim, Flip, Patrick, Garry, IBKen, Wheeler, Clint, Chad, Chet, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on the latest photos of the Outpost.
Garry - continued prayers for you and Shelly and for your MIL.
Mikey - all those photos from the show are very good. Thanks for posting.

Absolutely nothing to report from the train room. The modeling workbench has a couple of overdue small things on it, I need to redo some signs on businesses, and I have some landscaping to do on the layout near the Outpost building, but that's all I have in mind for the rest of this year. Slowing down a bit until after the Christmas and New Years holidays.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning all. 29 here. TGIF! Testeds those new Scale Trains SD40T-2's last night. I'm mostly a steam guy with a dash of first gen diesels thrown in for color, but I do have a small fleet of bloody nose if the models are good enough, and these are.

Well, Alan, You can add "flash" into the description - LOL!
I briefly saw something with a RED nose as it streaked across the screen.
The scenery looks awesome, BTW

View attachment 42010

View attachment 42011

View attachment 42016

Ken: Nice work! Photo # 3 is a winner. The grey building, and off set water tower, give depth to the scene.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back