Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following pictures are for the people who liked my last picture post. I compressed the picture sizes, so some are fuzzy.
Everyone else can just ignore them.
The Locust Grove & Western Railroad (LG&W) is the main Wrecking Crew'a HO layout begun in 1988. This reincarnation began construction in 2000.
It is a hollow rectangle consisting of 16 semi-free standing modules locked together with pinned door hinges.

Mc Wane does a good job on the signage and the barriers allow the public to get close.
The kids are the main reason we take the time and effort display our work and hopefully, to get others interested in the hobby.

H 0127 - Copy.JPGH 01 - Copy.JPGH 0124 - Copy.JPGH 0125 - Copy.JPG

Alan - Thanks for the input. I am no stranger to Bar Mills kits, or American Model Builders, Blair Line and others. I have close to four dozen laser-cut kits on the layout already. Bar Mills kits are always interesting critters. Not only do the instructions not always match, but the further one gets through construction, the less detailed the instructions get!o_O They are my favorites despite their shortcomings.Everybody have a great day.

Well since you've done them, by all means build the Majestic kit. I've met Art. He's a great guy and I've done a few of his kits myself. There's always some sort of "surprise" in the instructions but nothing you can't get past. I just wouldn't recommend Majestic to someone who hadn't done one of his kits before.

The following pictures are for the people who liked my last picture post. I compressed the picture sizes, so some are fuzzy.
Everyone else can just ignore them.
The Locust Grove & Western Railroad (LG&W) is the main Wrecking Crew'a HO layout begun in 1988. This reincarnation began construction in 2000.
It is a hollow rectangle consisting of 16 semi-free standing modules locked together with pinned door hinges.

Mc Wane does a good job on the signage and the barriers allow the public to get close.
The kids are the main reason we take the time and effort display our work and hopefully, to get others interested in the hobby.

View attachment 41973View attachment 41970View attachment 41971View attachment 41972

Boy those were the days! Say Mikey do you still have that RS-11 you got from Carey? The one so weathered you can't even see the road name? Looks good. Needs some SP power to complete the scene! ;)

The smile on his face is special. Made an impression on him that will last and last.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope everyone had a good day.
Warm night and pleasant dreams,
Phil

I'M NOT SHORT-I'M FUN SIZE

Greetings all, looks like what I posted at 10pm yesterday about my Shingrix injection was only wishful thinking: at ~noon today, I first noticed that all my muscles seemed to ache; and by 2pm, I was having chills. The side effects came on with a vengeance!:eek: Guess that was to be expected, since the varicella zoster virus lives in the nerve tissues. Wound up going home early and sleeping for 3 hours. Looks like I'll be taking a sick day tomorrow.
I had a shingles shot a few years ago, and then came down with shingles a couple of years after. Maybe it was the shot, but I don't remember the disease as being particularly bothersome: a mild rash on one side of my back, maybe some itching, but nothing else.
Was it one shot or two? Shingrix is two separate doses, 2-to-6 months apart. If you got Zostavax, it is said to be only 51% effective at totally preventing shingles, but it does minimize the symptoms if you do happen to get it.

In spite of my current discomfort, I have no regrets about getting the Shingrix if it actually does reduce my risk of shingles by 90%.

Greetings all, looks like what I posted at 10pm yesterday about my Shingrix injection was only wishful thinking: at ~noon today, I first noticed that all my muscles seemed to ache; and by 2pm, I was having chills. The side effects came on with a vengeance!:eek: Guess that was to be expected, since the varicella zoster virus lives in the nerve tissues. Wound up going home early and sleeping for 3 hours. Looks like I'll be taking a sick day tomorrow.

Was it one shot or two? Shingrix is two separate doses, 2-to-6 months apart. If you got Zostavax, it is said to be only 51% effective at totally preventing shingles, but it does minimize the symptoms if you do happen to get it.

In spite of my current discomfort, I have no regrets about getting the Shingrix if it actually does reduce my risk of shingles by 90%.
Did you have Chicken Pox at any time in the past? Shingles is related to that.

Did you have Chicken Pox at any time in the past? Shingles is related to that.
I certainly did, Ray! 99% of people from my generation in the continental U.S. had it. The chicken pox preventative vaccine didn't come out until the mid-1990's, IIRC; Chet is part of the 1% of Boomers who avoided it.

Boy those were the days! Say Mikey do you still have that RS-11 you got from Carey? The one so weathered you can't even see the road name? Looks good. Needs some SP power to complete the scene! ;)
Alan- Funny you should ask about that engine.
I have been thinking about getting Carey to convert that grungy Atlas RS-11 engine to DCC for me. The last two chips I tried to install, I let the smoke out before I got the chips installed. For some reason, I don't sell my old engtines.

The smile on his face is special. Made an impression on him that will last and last.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope everyone had a good day.
Warm night and pleasant dreams,
Phil

I'M NOT SHORT-I'M FUN SIZE

Phil- If I don't see 10 or more smiles like that on each of my shifts, I feel that I failed to talk to enough people during my hours with the public.
We have an underground coal mine and an underpass with a flashing fire engine below the layout base. I try to introduce the young people to those two less obvious scenes. They often drag a parent or sibling to see these special scenes.

Good morning all,

Coffee this morning and I'm still partial to one of the big Pecan cinnamon rolls. Thanks, Flo.

Clear and 44* in Doo-Dah with a high today of 60*.

Ken: Get better soon man. At least you know what your reacting to. The wife is after me to get the singles shots as I never had chicken pox although all my siblings did. Blood tests say I've been exposed, never had them when my kids had them either. Vaccine became available in 1995 when the kids were 9, so they had them before they could get immunized. As a boomer, I think I got pretty lucky as I never had mumps when my siblings had them either.

IronHorseman: I don't know which local news channel you watch, but KAKE TV has run a couple of times a short Merry Christmas between commercials featuring X4014 running through the snow in Western KS. I was in the kitchen when I first caught it, that steam whistle is very distinctive. When I heard it on the TV I said that's the Big Boy and went running to the living room. My wife asked how'd I know that just from the whistle. Some things are more important. lol Didn't know if you'd caught it.

Alan- Funny you should ask about that engine.
I have been thinking about getting Carey to convert that grungy Atlas RS-11 engine to DCC for me. The last two chips I tried to install, I let the smoke out before I got the chips installed. For some reason, I don't sell my old engtines.

I have two of those old Atlas RS-11's. They run very well. Mine were easy DCC conversions. Just a board swap. I just remembered how tickled you were when Carey sold it to you.

Good morning everyone. 39 and partly cloudy. Nice weekend coming up after a little rain tonight.

Jim, Clint, Flip, Patrick, Curt, IBKen, SirFold, Beady, and anyone I may have missed - Thanks for the likes and comments on my posts yesterday, especially the Australian school's phone message.

Had a little time last night to work on putting some figures on the Outpost structure. Here are some photos. Still have to glue that front black strip down, or else replace it with some gravel? What do you think? Also, need to put a couple of trees and bushes between the building and the tracks. Also need to paint the base on the left side of the structure, probably a light cement color.

Outpost9.jpg
Outpost10.jpg

Time for more coffee. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. 31F at almost 7am in SLC area.

Went to bed late trying to solve a day job problem -- 2am. Had to get up at 5:30am for a 6am work meeting (connected to our Indian office in Bangalore). Will be a zombie today. No time to steal a nap.

Good Morning All. Looks like 50° and clear, but it's still dark. Another 70° day on tap. I need to make a short trip for the weekly grocery/beer trek today to get stuff we forgot Sunday and to right the schedule again.
A celebration of sorts at the SFW household today. Sixty days ago I started on my own weight loss program, which is mostly portion-control. As of this morning, I have lost thirty pounds; haven't been this light in eleven years. So I'll celebrate with a BIG meal! Sadly, no one noticed but me.

Toast and bacon only this morning Francine.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the candy store storefront; Clint, Chad, Phil, Patrick, Jim, Jerome, Curt, Tom, Justin.

OK, the votes are in and Majestic Hardware is the clear favorite. Ooooh! This one has a lot of parts; At least 125 on twelve sprues along with all of the stripwood trim and bracing. An additional bag with 25 white metal and plastics castings as well.
11-05-19 001.JPG

Started in on it yesterday and hit one of those instruction "surprises" right away.
11-05-19 004.JPG

Not only are the walls pictured incorrectly in all of the photos, they knew about in advance!;)
Trick is that there are TWO parts with windows!
11-05-19 003.JPG

Which one goes on the left??? No problem as I have done many of their kits before.
By the end of my modeling time, I had gotten the foundation completed and the trim/bracing attached to the main walls.

11-05-19 005.JPG

Today Next I will add the interior bracing and commence with some priming. There are still ten additional pieces of clapboard siding that go somewhere!

Johnny - Regardless of where my figures come from, hand-painted of store-bought, I always hit them with some spray on Dull coat. Helps prevent paint fading even under artificial light. Dulls down the factory shine as well.
Greg - Get well soon.
Jesse - Really great reading your posts again. I suspected that your business overwhelmed you as it has in the past.
Alan - Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't had anything but E-Mail contact with Art over the years, but I have spoken to Lynn a number of times. over the years. Great people to deal with. I absolutely love their kits despite the "surprises" in the instructions. (see above)
Ken - Dang! Get better soon. You've dealt with enough lately.

Great day in American history today; National Repeal Day. The day that Prohibition ended. Well you know how to celebrate!

Everybody have a wonderful day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back