Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
NWS has extended the flood warning to 8:00 tonight.
That's 20:00 for y'all that use a 24 hour clock.

oe: Are you trying to stay with structures that existed along the Conrail Amboy tracks only? Or are you going to add other businesses as well? I'll send separate message.

David: Actually, I'm trying to incorporate "close enough" structures of all types of commercially available structures to represent the approximate locations of actual structures in the area I'm modeling. Many of these structures like the one in the fireground photos, occupied full city blocks, and need to be scaled down to fit into the limited space of the model railroad. I mentioned the Middlesex manufacturing model, because it is the one model railroad structure, I can specifically identify by location and purpose. The model represents one portion of the total complex, rather than the whole. Otherwise, Walthers Cornerstone structures and DPM modules and structures are equally useful.
Commercial Dye Co. 4-28-2018.jpg

This background building was assembled using DPM modular sections. The structure will blend into the scene, rather than standing out.

Boris

Louis - good luck to you and your Ravens. I'm not really following this year, and my Panthers are already out (and abysmal again) so the best I can hope for is that they disrupt the rhythm of the Saints going into the playoffs.

Thanks Jesse, I'm an unusual fan. I don't get to excited about wins or losses. I enjoy the games for what they are, but it would be nice to see the Ravens playing in January.

I have to say if we are talking about my birds, the Orioles, I get very excited when they win! I don't get too disappointed when they lose. After watching the best team in baseball lose to the New York Mets in the 1969 World Series and maybe the best NFL team ever lose to the New York Jets in Super Bowl III, I learned early that nothing is certain in sports.

For the record Namath gets too much credit for the Jets winning Super Bowl III, the real hero for the Jets was their coach Webb Eubank and running back Matt Snell led by the Jets offensive line! Why do loud mouth blowhards get all the attention?

Willie - the problem is that the wall space I planned to use is now covered up with dry erase boards. Had to put up a calendar to keep the growing schedule on and a board especially for the growing list of projects we have. It's ok though. Business is well. God has blessed us. And I found a small desk that will be perfect for my N scale trains to run on. I ordered some curves and straights to go with my switches, so I'll be running trains soon enough. That is one of my goals (not resolutions) for 2019. I. Will. Run. Trains. In. The. New. Year! LOL.

Louis - I'm not a typical fan anymore either. I like to see the home team win, but I've lost a lot of my interest due to the politicizing of the game. Politics is why I watched sports. To get away. Besides, spending less time on football gives more time for modeling and running trains. After the track shows up from Atlas that is.

Good Morning Everyone..............partly sunny and cold this morning in Wisconsin.

Yesterday, worked on two turnouts that were working a bit sluggish and freed the turnouts up so they operated freely. I use Tortoise switch machine motors at usually 3 volts. Usually it a bit of ballast or other debris that slows down the movement of the turnouts.

Short train day today. May work on the layout for a while after the Packer game. Yes Sherrel, we're still watching the Packers after their terrible season. Tomorrow, will be short train day as well since we're meeting a high school friend and his wife for drinks and dinner at a local restaurant. Getting old so we're meeting in the afternoon.

Watched a NMRA clinic on soldering. Learned a lot about soldering even when I thought I knew just about everything I needed to know about soldering.

Cutting it short for today.

Greg

#####################

Milw Rd and C&NW Junk Yard.jpg

Afternoon All,

Did some chores then spent longer than planned (still not complete) on the freebee. I discovered that one set of side of side walls were cut too short after fitting them into the pre-cut slots. Sooo I had to build a foundation for that room. I guess I can't complain because this kit was free. I probably won't get to it again until Tuesday. I still need to put on roofing, exhaust stack, and build a billboard type business sign.

Since we're talking about flu shots, I have gotten one every year since 1974 (Navy). I always take aspirin after the shot and can't remember the last time I became sick after the shot.

Cambria- Very nice.

Jesse- That could be the deal of the century.

Terry- That would be my phone set to a 24 hour clock.

Willie- Interesting photo. Is that a current shot or an older one.

Joe- I think that building will be a nice addition to your layout.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores then spent longer than planned (still not complete) on the freebee. I discovered that one set of side of side walls were cut too short after fitting them into the pre-cut slots. Sooo I had to build a foundation for that room. I guess I can't complain because this kit was free. I probably won't get to it again until Tuesday. I still need to put on roofing, exhaust stack, and build a billboard type business sign.

Since we're talking about flu shots, I have gotten one every year since 1974 (Navy). I always take aspirin after the shot and can't remember the last time I became sick after the shot.

Cambria- Very nice.

Jesse- That could be the deal of the century.

Terry- That would be my phone set to a 24 hour clock.

Willie- Interesting photo. Is that a current shot or an older one.

Joe- I think that building will be a nice addition to your layout.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I won't argue that point. It is by far the best bargain that I have scored since I started expanding my fleet.

Since I have now branched off into the western roads, I think I can justify buying that "big boy" I've always wanted but didn't know how to work into my theme. Lol. I mean, who doesn't want one? I recently went to a display set up for Christmas and saw one in O scale. :oops: That thing was as long as my leg. Completely mind boggling. I was too scared to ask the price on that one.

I won't argue that point. It is by far the best bargain that I have scored since I started expanding my fleet.

Since I have now branched off into the western roads, I think I can justify buying that "big boy" I've always wanted but didn't know how to work into my theme. Lol. I mean, who doesn't want one? I recently went to a display set up for Christmas and saw one in O scale. :oops: That thing was as long as my leg. Completely mind boggling. I was too scared to ask the price on that one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTH-22-371...h=item2ce20a2104:g:RjkAAOSwjRtbLdVj:rk:2:pf:0

Discovered today that a Hastings Deering, Caterpillar dealership has moved into the industrial estate on the other side of the highway from town. Had quite a lot of new and used earthmoving equipment in the yard (closed, so I could only look through the fence.) A dozen new 938K aggregate handler, front loaders were the biggest bunch. Small to medium backhoes, Tracked Bobcats in several size, 745C and 740B used mining trucks, compactor and smooth drum rollers, a very large tracked excavator I couldn't see the ID of, looked new. A 140M road grader.
No D9's etc though unfortunately. Have to keep an eye out in future, pity it's not on a road I go via often.

toot...That's a great looking locomotive!
The size of the cab and the fact that the drivers are only 4'6" in diameter, give a clue to it's actual size. They were built in NZ in the early 1930's. They were 69'8" over the buffer/couplers, 11'6" high, width 8'5". 200lb/sq" boiler pressure and 30,815lb tractive effort.

Sherrel: Ha! I can beat that, I was coughing, gagging and wheezing the day after the flu shot, (day before Thanksgiving), I still am:mad:. Remember, I had both Pneumonia shots (as directed), and still came down with Pneumonia:mad::mad:Hi hi

Curt: Hope all goes well for her. Also, looking forward to the pics.

Jesse: Y'all paid that much? :eek: Welcome back, good to see you posting again.

Boris

Joe: You certainly had more than your share of sickness.

Good morning, it's 1:40 Am.

The temp is 35°F dropping to 33°F

Willie: The grain elevator is very nice looking and I like that you checked into the construction enough to add the wall strengthing rods and outside support.

Joe: Thanks for checking the info about terminology of this type of bracing and it's
use.. Willie's Mill, sure depicts this type of
Bracing and support

Good morning Everybody!

I'm not having the best day, but after the good streak I have had I can't complain.

I like to think "Ive been better, but I have been worse. It's not so bad to be somewhere in the middle."

Everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.

Have a great day Everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back