Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Slept like crap last night but it was my fault, I ate too much at supper and it was only 2 hours before bed. Did some chores today but not much else. I thought we were going to do a skunk rescue Saturday but it's been cancelled. It sounds like the lady that has the animal found a current skunk owner locally (Jacksonville) that wants the rescue.

Sherrel- That's a nice job on the loco. Sorry to hear of your continuing truck issues.

Greg- Enjoy the family time. What's in your cleaning formula?

Toot- I hope your weather is less than expected. Stay safe.
As
Willie- Best wishes for your daughter.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hi Curt: I curious about skunk rescues as well as having them around the house. Don't they spray from time to time. How do you put up with the odder ??

Good Afternoon.....the Sun is setting in Wisconsin.

Finished the mine spur track ballasting and then applied wet water and Scenic Cement to bond the ballast. I install the black cinder ballast between the tracks as well and added Woodland Scenics coal between the spur tracks and that gave the relatively flat, black area some detail. In several low spots I placed ground foam and which also added to the realism of the area. Finishing this area gave life to this area that before was just tracks and roadbed.

I'll add some right of way debris like old barrels, railroad ties, a few signs and broken equipment parts to provide some additional interest to the area.

I wanted this area to look dirty and gritty just as a real life coal mine would look like.

I used black foam road bed in this area and will not likely use the foam bed again. It lacks support for the track if you need to cut out ties or attach items like signals. Foam sheets were used in the majority of the area.

Tomorrow, I'll work on ballasting the two tracks leading up to the Saxeville Interchange. First, I'll do the cork road bed sides by applying white glue to help attach the ballast to the roadbed sides followed by installing the ballast on the track itself. I enjoy ballasting and it's easy and goes relatively fast. I use a custom blend for the ballast that was Woodland Scenics' buff, red and some gray fine ballast mixed together. I forgot the exact formula that I used, but I have have made several batches of the ballast. I mix the ballast in five pound coffee cans.

PRR: The cleaning spray I use is basically wet water applied with a sprayer in a light mist. The areas I did yesterday look good and improved in appearance. These areas were completed over ten years ago. Dust is a real pain to deal with and remove.

Sherrel: Thanks for the information on the weathered locomotive. Steve does a great job and his weathering look very realistic. I would like him to do a couple of my locomotives. I have a SOO locomotive #4441 that's fresh out of box and looks too perfect. I'll try a bit of black power on and around the grills and exhaust and maybe some white Pan Pastel on the red lettering to calm it down.

That's all to report.

Greg

##################

Last edited:
II have found Yankee Dabbler to be a good place for my DCC Products. There shipping fees are the best I've seen.

Louis,
After your recent post of the Lord Baltimore locomotive. I was thinking of the Lady Baltimore, and I knew in the back of my cranial cavity there was another similarly styled B&O. last night I was at Howard Zane's house and there it was, on the layout. A brass George H Emerson , resplendent in Royal Blue.
BO 4_4_4_4 5600 frbw.jpg

Another clock face boiler, large firebox, looking quite European. One of a kind and mechanically, a flop.

Good evening. It's cloudy and 41.
I'm in the middle of a wrestling match with myself, and I think I'm winning, but I may be losing.
As y'all probably know, Ebay is having a 15% off sale on model railroad stuff (all toys, but I'm trying to stay focused). With the discount, I've found a Loksound-equipped, brand new Atlas C420 for less than $120, including shipping. Not a railroad I have a real interest in modeling, but figuring $85 for a Loksound decoder, the rest of the engine works out to around $34.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-10-0...M-201-Diesel-Locomotive-HO-Scale/372529813218
If I get it, I really can't afford it, but if I don't get it, I'll be kicking myself every time I think about it, or even when I need a part that locomotive has.
Any thoughts?

Louis:. The radius of that track is so much more believable than the older style Lionel track!!

David,
that's the track that came with that set O36 (36" circle measured from center rail to center rail)

In all RTR sets, that I know of O36 is the size. The old track was O27, nine inches makes a difference! Especially with Traditional O (sub-scale) rolling stock and locomotives that comes in most sets.

Your eye for detail is spot on, as always!

I'm working on my train room! I have Lionel O96, O84, O72, O60, O48 in addition to O36 to use up there. I'll post some pictures when I get trains running up there.

The new Lionel Scale O (true scale) requires bigger tracks.

Good evening. It's cloudy and 41.
I'm in the middle of a wrestling match with myself, and I think I'm winning, but I may be losing.
As y'all probably know, Ebay is having a 15% off sale on model railroad stuff (all toys, but I'm trying to stay focused). With the discount, I've found a Loksound-equipped, brand new Atlas C420 for less than $120, including shipping. Not a railroad I have a real interest in modeling, but figuring $85 for a Loksound decoder, the rest of the engine works out to around $34.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-10-0...M-201-Diesel-Locomotive-HO-Scale/372529813218
If I get it, I really can't afford it, but if I don't get it, I'll be kicking myself every time I think about it, or even when I need a part that locomotive has.
Any thoughts?

Terry, I thought we were friends. I'm desperately trying to ignore the 15% coupon.

It's like offering a gift bottle of Jack Daniels to the local alcoholic.
1544773915872.png

I'm sorry, I can't be of any help.

My name is Louis and I am addicted to trains.

Louis,
After your recent post of the Lord Baltimore locomotive. I was thinking of the Lady Baltimore, and I knew in the back of my cranial cavity there was another similarly styled B&O. last night I was at Howard Zane's house and there it was, on the layout. A brass George H Emerson , resplendent in Royal Blue.
View attachment 32528
Another clock face boiler, large firebox, looking quite European. One of a kind and mechanically, a flop.

Karl, she is a beauty! Like many beautiful women I have known, fantastic on the outside, not so much on the inside, but they were always fun to play with!

Good morning, y'all. 35° and cloudy.

Louis: RE the DH, I recall either reading or watching an article toward the end of last season that the NL is seriously considering going to the DH. If so, it's about time. Everything changes over time.

Boris
It's been a real possibility that the NL would adopt the DH, but in the last few winter meetings it gets tabled for next year again and again. Maybe this is the year.

Louis

I don’t have much of an opinion on the DH either way. I just wish they install it in the NL if the AL has it, or do away with it totally. Inter league games are interesting to watch, and I’m a huge fan of inter league play. That AL Pitcher sure looks uncomfortable in the batters box when in a NL park.

Pitchers spend so much time in today's game watching film, working on mechanics, working out, you name it. They don't have time to spend in the batting cage. Forget about all the other things hitters work on today. NL pitchers spend a little time in the cage working on bunting mostly. AL pitchers only see a batting cage a few days before traveling to a NL city and only then if they are scheduled to start.

Boris and Mike, what I really want to see is the rosters expanded! Many teams in this day and age carry 13 pitchers. Counting the DH you have 10 in the lineup. That leaves only 2 on the bench and one should be a catcher. The other is best being a utility fielder. Where are the pinch hitters? The strategy I grew up watching with Earl Weaver and others managing is gone from todays game.

Earl Weaver's Orioles often only had 8 pitchers and 3 or 4 of them would throw 200+innings Palmer regularly threw 300+. Last year Max Scherzer led all of baseball with only 220 innings pitched. In all of MLB only 10 pitchers threw more than 200 innings and only one of them was in the AL. You would think it would be the opposite with pitchers being pinch hit for in the NL, but there is nobody on the bench to use as a pinch hitter!

Try telling millionaire owners to add 3 or 4 million or more to the payroll for back up players. It just another example of how greed is hurting the game.

Talking about greed; how about a day game for the kids to watch on free broadcast tv? No wonder most kids are playing soccer. How can they learn the complexity of baseball if they can't watch it? Try getting a kid to listen to a game on the radio. My boys are exposed to baseball on the radio almost daily and they have little interest. Maybe MLB should broadcast free games on the internet, but greed won't let that happen.

Talking about soccer; kick the ball, kick it again, great, you got it, you are a super star!

What 6 year old invented soccer? "hey I have an idea. lets play a game and we can't use our hands" WTF!!! no hands!!! it's one of the things that makes us humans special!

I'm aggravating myself...
Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone, as Willy says I am a night owl but not always by choice, someones got to keep the fire burning to keep the place warm, I get elected cuz I'm the only one here.

Here's my rail picture for today, not new but unusual as Old Central Valley car kits went. All wood construction, actual sliding double door ventilated box car with the oddity of having two break wheels. The high wheel on the roof as well one on the opposite end of the car.

I was lucky to have found a couple of these many years back, about 40+ as I recall. At that time, Central Valley freight car had the freeist rolling trucks around.
I don't know who actually built the prototype but I'm going to look it up !

Hope you all have a great day. Tomorrow, Saturday, 12-15-2018 markes the third year of Jefferies passing. If

Temperature is 27 right now. Giving up on wind, sky cover and barometer as no one else seems to think they are necessary. Might have more to say later, just wanted to attempt to be the winner this time; but, see I'm so late I should just give up! Bruette, I like me Jameson, too! Trussrod I have quite a few Central Valley Stock Cars, these are the newer plastic cars and they are very nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back