Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not giving a weather report - on strike.
Damn truck is in the shop again.
Losing coolent from a "freeze plug" on the rear of the motor!
Why The F* does it even have a "freeze plug" - It never freezes here?
I keep thinking each time that it's the last thing to break - but - NO! It goes on and on.
Oh Well - Just another couple months payments on a new one down the rathole!
BAH HUMBUG!

Good Afternoon Everyone....still overcast but very little snow and that's all melted.

Worked on the layout this afternoon. Straighten and glued in place a light tower that's been crooked ever since I installed it. Just one of those projects that I keep putting off. Used my magic cleaning solution and sprayed down a portion of the layout especially where I had coal that had been collecting dust, so far it looks good, but how it looks after it dries completely it will be real test.

Also I did more ballasting and decided where to add grass and ground foam. Repainted a fuel storage tank for the mine structure. Time does go fast when I'm down in the layout room.

Tomorrow is another day and I'll use white glue and attach all the ballast. Sometimes I do use Scenic Cement from Woodland Scenics for ground foam or securing ballast. I just think that Scenic Cement dries faster than white glue and maybe stays clearer.

I don't think the layout will be in a condition to show any Christmas guests this weekend. It will be sort of National Lampoon's Family Christmas Saturday in a fun way. People coming from Toronto, DC, Mesa and beyond. The Mrs. goes all out with food and drink. Our nephew likes to drink Spotted Cow Beer that's brewed in Wisconsin and his wife drinks a special red wine. Some fly in late Friday and leave already on Sunday afternoon.

That's all to report until tomorrow.

Greg

Beat Up Con.jpg

Again no idea where this is..............?

Sherrel:

Excellent weathering job on #3584!!!

Tell us about your techniques and secrets that you use to get nice an perfect weathering job like you accomplished. How long does a job like this take?

I have a couple of locomotive I'll send to you....:D

Greg

Wonder where IB Ken and Justin are hiding?
My guess is that Justin is busy with his wife and new baby. IB Ken, just like D&J Ken seemed to have just disappeared from the Coffee Shop. I do see posts from them in other threads. I miss all of them and their input. Still wonderiing about that sprinkler guy Jesse, (ACL-CSX) from North Carolina as well.

Yeah - me too, Willie?

GREG -- I could not do that if I tried. This guy, Steve, goes by the name of "modeltruckshop" over at Frisco.org.
He is a master at details and painting.
Check out the thread "Workshop Wednesday" on www.frisco.org

Acetone will act as an ACC solvent. Follow a lady friend into a drug store or beauty supply shop and get the gel type nail polish remover. works well and wont evaporate as fast. However your mileage on plastic may vary so be careful.

One othe trick I have heard of, but have not tried is ice water or freezing the model. Cold make ACC very brittle.

Thanks Karl, I thought I remember somebody saying there was an ACC solvent of one type or another so your info is appreciated even the me all the way don't have any ACC problem right now but you never know in the future!

Looks like we could be in for an interesting weekend and early next week. A Cyclone which has already dumped oodles of rain up north after passing westward over York Peninsular, has reformed into a "zombie" cyclone in the Gulf of Carpentaria and is reversing direction and expected to recross Cape York on a more southerly path. Currently at Cat3, where it had lessened to a tropical low on the first pass but may even reach Cat 4 prior to landfall again. Once it moves off the eastern coast, the forecast is for it to move down, close to the coast and reach Brisbane by Sunday/Monday, delivering 8" of rain over the weekend.
Down south there is a severe low moving across the lower states including Tasmania. It's drawing moisture all the way down from the cyclone, via an upper level trough connecting them. The northern inland has seen rain for the first time in a very long time, whereas the wheat producers of the southern inland are still in drought and a part of New South Wales experienced a dust storm. The storms are all happening over the eastern side and seaboard.
Might not get down to the club on Sunday if it gets too bad.

Good morning Everybody!

I'm alive and well. I was actually up at a little before 1am. Lots of little things on the todo list kept me busy. My wife woke up early, I do love you guys, but my wife is my one and only true love. Any time I get a chance to spend time with her I take it and thank God for it!

Run out of coffee?! Can't happen, wouldn't be prudent. I have had the occasional coffee pot break down on me. but that is when I run to an all night store to buy a replacement! I just realized that won't have to happen again. I have 2 kitchens and each one has a Mr. Coffee.

There are lots of great post to read a few to reply to, but I'm going to check on the thread Willie asked me to look at, I'll be back.

Bruette, the race thing is a way of poking fun at this thread, which is all about everything and nothing at the same time. I really didn't pay much attention to Black Sabbath, excepting their first Album which had War Pigs on it, so didn't know the members other than Ozzie

Mark, I'm with you, it's all in good fun. :)

Last edited:
By the way, Louis is already bouncing off the walls this morning, hence the original comment!;)

Louis - I always thought that the DH position in baseball was a bunch of bunk. Let all of the team play like the game was originally intended. It's like pulling out the good china because the pastor is coming over!

All of the postings regarding Pennsylvania and their tax laws reminds me of a situation in the early 70's in Texarkana, TX/AR. The city is in both states, Texas and Arkansas. At the time the legal drinking age in TX was 18 while in AR across the main street it was 21. Problem was that the TX side of town was "dry" while the AR side of town was "wet". So 18 year olds in TX couldn't buy alcohol because it was not legal to sell to them across the state line. Many residents made a little side money buying on one side and walking across the street to supply their friends. Law enforcement generally looked the other way. Stores made more than enough just selling to Texas residents to begin with so they ignored the "repeat buyers".

Everybody have a great day.

Willie, as soon as I open my eyes in the morning I am wide awake. I use to run full speed from before sun up to long past sun down. Sometimes I went from before sun up to past sun down the following day.

Now my mind is wide awake when I get out of bed, but it takes my body some time to knock the rust off the joints to get moving. Full speed these days is slow motion in days gone by with breaks thrown in every 10 or 15 minutes.

I just happy to wake up :)

Texarkana and the law makes me think of "Smokey and the Bandit"
1544701259304.png

The DH, good thing and a bad thing. Good in that it extends the career of players. Bad in that it reduces the strategy of the game.

With the low number of innings starting pitchers log these days forcing teams to carry 12-13 pitchers, I feel bad for national league managers.

Baseball needs to expand the rosters to put more strategy back into the game.

I was happy to see the DH rule appear in 1973. The Orioles first DH, Tommy Davis was a masterful hitter who could no longer run due to leg injuries. I was happy again when one of my heroes, Hank Arron came to the American League.

I'm conflicted on the matter.
1544702743442.png

1544702787162.png

Last edited:
I don't want to appear to be looking a "Gift Horse" in the mouth. However, I have to ask what is up with the "Like" button? I appreciate all the likes I have gotten; but, wonder why they have been given?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back