Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time of year, it's a safe bet to state that the weather is crappy in Park Rapids!

I guess Bruette was even faster than I am! Although this morning, he is in second place!

"The Battle Monument is 52 feet high and is dedicated to those who lost their lives defending the city…the first monument in the US to honor the soldiers instead of the generals". When I stood I.G. inspections over in Deutschland, in the U.S. ARMY, one of the guys in my company on the floor above me would always play "WAR PIGS" by Black Sabbath! It was "GREAT" and he never got in trouble for it!

Mark, second, third or just show up, I'm content to just be here :) Winning is not important to me anymore.

War Pigs! Has to be one of the all-time greats songs, at least it is in my book. One of dozens of great songs from my favorite band, Black Sabbath! I don't much care who is singing as long as Tony and Geezer are playing. Add Bill Ward and you have the best ever!

This is my personal favorite version. it's recorded live from the Black Sabbath Reunion tour.

In Park Rapids; it's 21° with crappy weather in the forecast. although it may get above freezing this weekend.

Yup! David (Trussrod) is a "night owl". Louis (Bruette) functions in a different world. I, like you, am an early bird although I usually don't post until I have been up a couple of hours.
I live "Behind the Wall of Sleep" ;) Well, not any more, but it fits here.

I just waded out through the crusty snow to clean it off my truck, and scrape off the windshield.
Well, I was able to get the door open, and that was about it. The snow has frozen to a giant block of ice, so I started the truck, and sett the defroster on. I'll go out again in a little while, and see if it's softened the ice enough to move off the windshield.

I just waded out through the crusty snow to clean it off my truck, and scrape off the windshield.
Well, I was able to get the door open, and that was about it. The snow has frozen to a giant block of ice, so I started the truck, and sett the defroster on. I'll go out again in a little while, and see if it's softened the ice enough to move off the windshield.
Be safe out there and watch out for the idiots.

Mark, second, third or just show up, I'm content to just be here :) Winning is not important to me anymore.

War Pigs! Has to be one of the all-time greats songs, at least it is in my book. One of dozens of great songs from my favorite band, Black Sabbath! I don't much care who is singing as long as Tony and Geezer are playing. Add Bill Ward and you have the best ever!!

Bruette, the race thing is a way of poking fun at this thread, which is all about everything and nothing at the same time. I really didn't pay much attention to Black Sabbath, excepting their first Album which had War Pigs on it, so didn't know the members other than Ozzie

Greg: It seems to me that I saw where ACC solvent is available. I'm unsure if it would attack the coupler pockets on the coal hoppers or not? Might be worth a try?

Acetone will act as an ACC solvent. Follow a lady friend into a drug store or beauty supply shop and get the gel type nail polish remover. works well and wont evaporate as fast. However your mileage on plastic may vary so be careful.

One othe trick I have heard of, but have not tried is ice water or freezing the model. Cold make ACC very brittle.

Good morning everyone. 47 and partly cloudy. We have a respite from the cold for a few days. Actually getting into the 50s for the rest of the week and the weekend.

Today is our daughter's birthday, so my wife and I are taking her out for breakfast. Added bonus: the 2 year old granddaughter comes along!! Grampa gets to hug her and carry her around for a little while, but eventually we have to get back to work.

My wife continues to recuperate very well. Follow-up visit with surgeon is next week.

In the train room, I worked on the new logging camp area. Still very early stages, gluing infrastructure and hills in place. Have to remember to take some photos to document progress.

Have a good day everyone.

Yes, sorry I finished the first pot. The second pot is almost done brewing, but I get first dibs! ;)

Wow Louis

Second pot already. Hope there’s several coffee drinkers in your household, or you will be bouncing off the walls.

Good Morning Everyone, from friendly North Central Texas, where it is 46° and partly cloudy. Mostly spent the day yesterday on household duties including cutting up fudge and some other Christmas delights. Should have cut the cord on the damn radio playing that non-stop Christmas music. OK, I admit to being a Scrooge! I'll put the tree up Sunday or Monday even though my wife no longer wants one...No one sees it but her and I.
Cannot wait to get the garden in and going. I finally ran out of spinach and green peas that I had frozen last spring. Still have a dozen or so containers of frozen broccoli and another dozen or so jars of green beans left to use. Spaghetti sauce and salsa is about gone as well. Ran out of onions and garlic about two months ago. However the garlic plants in the garden are all about 6" tall (they survive even the harshest winters here), and should be ready for May harvesting. A wayward deer ate part of last years harvest while it hung from the porch railing drying!
Out in the train shed yesterday, I revitalized a pair of P2K covered hopper kits that I assembled about twenty years ago. In both case, the roof grab irons were missing. I assembled maybe twenty of these kits over the years and these grabs were very easily broken. Some broke in half and the half got away! In most cases I just moved on with the intention of dealing with them later, well later finally arrived. Used some grabs from Detail Associates that I have had since the last century. I think that Bowser now owns the company and the parts are still available. I'm not able to match the paint exactly but with some severe weathering, that won't be an issue. It's distractions like this that prevent me from getting more scenery done!:mad:

Joe -
Louis: Politics has nothing to do with the stock market...the volatility is motivated by greed of the big players.
I respectfully disagree in a way. While you are correct in theory, peoples reaction to politics has had an adverse effect on the stock market lately. Some investors are ignoring the underlying fundamentals of a good economy and record profits and they are panicking every time someone important in DC farts. Add to that the computer trading that has gotten out of control and we have what we have today. Then you have stock brokers that make money (commission) purely on a sale or trade regardless of whether it is profitable or not.
Mike -
I read an article yesterday that Harold Baines induction caused a controversy. Some didn’t think he should of gotten in. He was before my time of watching much baseball, so I didn’t know a lot about his history.
There does seem to be a bit of controversy there. I don't normally keep up with baseball but Baines did play for the Rangers for a short period of time. Seemed rather lackluster at the time.
By the way, Louis is already bouncing off the walls this morning, hence the original comment!;)
David - Even some of the latest diesels (post-1998) are a little tough for me to tell the difference.
Louis - I always thought that the DH position in baseball was a bunch of bunk. Let all of the team play like the game was originally intended. It's like pulling out the good china because the pastor is coming over!
Garry - Have a safe trip.
Mark -
Bruette, the race thing is a way of poking fun at this thread, which is all about everything and nothing at the same time.
That's why it's called a Coffee Shop!

All of the postings regarding Pennsylvania and their tax laws reminds me of a situation in the early 70's in Texarkana, TX/AR. The city is in both states, Texas and Arkansas. At the time the legal drinking age in TX was 18 while in AR across the main street it was 21. Problem was that the TX side of town was "dry" while the AR side of town was "wet". So 18 year olds in TX couldn't buy alcohol because it was not legal to sell to them across the state line. Many residents made a little side money buying on one side and walking across the street to supply their friends. Law enforcement generally looked the other way. Stores made more than enough just selling to Texas residents to begin with so they ignored the "repeat buyers".

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, y'all. 33° and sunny.

I respectfully disagree in a way. While you are correct in theory, peoples reaction to politics has had an adverse effect on the stock market lately

Willie: In a way, you may be right, but I suspect that much of the volatility is due to insider price manipulation as much as anyone else. Retail investors worried about losing their savings are more likely to panic over political issues, whereas the big money people are privy to insider information and more capable of making the market react violently.

Eric; I am inclined to equate the Pennsylvania government to that of the Soviet Union, and the Revenue Agents to the KGB. ;) Then again, it was the times. :rolleyes: I left PA for good in 1984, and only returned when my MIL was unable to manage her own affairs. We found everyone in PA more difficult to deal with, and relocated her to Jersey.

Garry and Terry:
Drive carefully and be safe.

Boris

Good Morning Everyone..............overcast and snowing with a Winter Weather Advisory for this morning for maybe two inches of snow and freezing rain.

Karl: With the age of the plastic I'm afraid to use acetone to loosen the AC. The former owner really over-did the amount of AC he used and the Athearn metal coupler retainers are covered with AC from front to back on both sides. I may try the cold method and see what happens.

Willie: I knew of a person who uses a computer program to buy and sell stocks. He sets the buy share price as well as the sell price and the computer does all the work and sends the buy/sell info to his broker. He made $$$$$!!!!

The company I worked for filed for bankruptcy when 12.5 billion dollars in financing could be not secured in 2008. The company's once in the 40's dollar range per share price dropped to under a dollar. I knew fellow employees who when from multimillionaires to close to broke in weeks. They systematically purchasing company stock over long periods of time. The company recovered and paid every outstanding debt to all vendors and the stock recovered climbing back into the 20's per share.

In Wisconsin in the 1960's the beer drinking age was 18 (could buy beer in a tavern and drink it legally, but not carry it out) for all counties except three counties in southeastern Wisconsin. At 18 you could drink beer in even in the counties that did not allow taverns to sell beer to 18 -21 year olds, if someone 21 or older purchased the beer. Beer parties were common and one afternoon myself and two of my friends brought a bucket of fried chicken and a quarter barrel of beer.

One problem was that I would drive close to 50 miles to a "special" beer bar and then had to drive home!

Back to railroading..................

Today, finish ballasting the mine location and then ballast the two tracks leading into the Saxeville Interchange. I'll also use my alcohol and water spray to "dust" the ground foam and Puff ball trees on the layout. I lightly spray the mix and the dust disappears. Good for several years.

That all for now.

Greg

#####################

2974_1428194281.jpg

I don't know who took this photograph or where it was taken. But, I like the variety of signage on the buildings.

Afternoon All,

Went to get a haircut today and the wife had me return a cake carrier to Bed, Bath and Beyond. That was a fun time. We're going out to supper with daughter and grandkids tonight.

Chet- It looks like fun...not!

Terry- That looks like a a very large RV company.

Louis- Great band.

Johnny- Sounds like a great time at breakfast.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back