Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and 30° here. Temperatures back into the upper 50's to mid-60's for the next ten days, my kind of winter. This will work out well for the farmer next door who just planted his winter wheat last week. Although he was 45 days late planting due to rains earlier this fall, I have seen years where it wasn't planted until almost Christmas and still provided a spring crop, albeit smaller than normal. While I was out for my daily walk yesterday, I had to stop (for my own safety, they weren't going to yield) and let a herd of wild hogs cross the road in front of me. Unfortunately I didn't have the camera with me to get you all a picture. There was at least thirty of them. They've been around for a while as I have seen their muddy trails across the pasture and road prior to yesterday, but just hadn't actually seen them before.
Expecting delivery of the new bathroom vanity today, although it will be a few days before I can install it due to having to wait on the paint crew (my wife) to do her part.
Meanwhile out in the train shed yesterday, I tackled a bit of a different project. I am short-handed on cabooses and have a self-imposed moratorium on rolling stock purchases, so I went to the "back room" and dug out an old Bachmann caboose that I have. It is the first caboose that I purchased with a train set back in the late 70's. At one point in it's life, I had added 36" metal wheels and had converted the horn-hooks to Kadee #27 underset couplers to attain proper coupler height. But they are still truck mounted. Time for an upgrade. I started by adding clear styrene to all of the windows, there's too many but it's easier right now to add clear styrene than to filling them in. I am not a rivet counter! I then cut off the truck mounted couplers and added styrene pads and Kadee boxes to the body. I chose to keep the 36" wheels for now so I had to use Kadee #22 overset couplers. If I reduce the wheels to 33", than Kadee #5's or equivalents will work. I had to file off the sides of a "Dust Monkey" so it wouldn't bind on the axle. I also painted the molded on grabirons yellow. Any further improvements would require a whole new paint job. I'll try this out for a while before deciding whether to refine it some more.

Louis -

Not really. Other than being to identify a Big Boy or a Cab Forward, I don't know diddly about identifying steam locomotives. Yeah I can identify wheel arrangements like 2-6-2 but have no clue about a name.

]

Willie: I'll have to second the lack of knowledge especially dealing with diesel locomotives as I have a hard time knowing one from the other for the most part. With steam I can of course determine wheel arrangements and sometimes tell you the maker of the locomotive but not always so you're you're not alone nor is Louis!

Does anyone know where to obtain the very tiny flat head phillips screws that hold the track joiners in place on Aristo Craft G Scale track.
I have been looking for over an hour, but cannot seem to enter the correct search criteria, or else maybe there are none?
It's an extremely small screw - even smaller than eyeglass screws.

Sherrel: The source I found was. 'Micro Fasteners', Lebanon, NJ. 08833
800-892-6917 :. I can't guarantee they will have exactly what your looking for but probably can direct you to someone else if they don't. I would think you would want a flathead bolt on the inside and lock washer and nut on the outside. G scale track is fairly large and can handle some decent size screws, some eye glass screen are tiny enough for HO rail connecting plates.

Good morning everyone. 17 and br-r-r-r-r-r out there! Looks like a four cup of coffee morning for me.

Thanks again to everyone for your prayers and concern for my wife. She's still a little sore, especially where they took the two lymph nodes. But other than that and just moving slow, she's doing great. She's taking over some of the cooking duties again, so the days of soup and sandwiches are over :D

Hope you don't mind another request for prayer - - I have a cousin, Barry, who lives in Japan and has worked for 30 years for Northrop-Grumman and was set to retire this month -- he's just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, stage 4. Doc gives him 6 months to live. We played together as kids out on Long Island, but we haven't kept in communication in our adult lives, but still, this is devastating news. Please keep him in your prayers and thoughts.

Willie - glad the storm is passing you by for the most part. We'll get our share of snow and ice later this winter, I'm sure - but for right now we're in the clear.

Waiting for a small MBKlein order to come in so I can continue working on a new section of the layout - a small logging camp with spur. I need some photos of logging operations - if some of you have one in your layout, please post a photo. I've got ideas, but I will have to keep it pretty small, given the space I have for it.

Have a good day everyone.

Johnny: Apologies that I haven't mentioned my concern for your Wife and you of course.
I'm glad she is back home recovering.

I read an article yesterday that Harold Baines induction caused a controversy. Some didn’t think he should of gotten in. He was before my time of watching much baseball, so I didn’t know a lot about his history.

Mike, there is always controversy in baseball especially concerning the Hall of Fame inductees. Journalist thrive on controversy, especially in this day and age.

Harold Baines was a great hitter. One of the best line drive hitters I ever saw play. His defense was average, at best and he had little range. He never did have good speed, but was a smart baserunner. His defense and speed diminished as his leg injuries accumulated. The knock against him is that he played much of his career as a designated hitter (DH).

Why create the DH position and penalize the players who play it? Edgar Martinez is probably the greatest DH ever and he is not yet in the Hall of Fame. I don't get it.

Read this when you have a chance. It makes you wonder how anybody makes it into the Hall of Fame. https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/rules/bbwaa-rules-for-election

Last edited:
Louis: Since this is a railroad oriented forum, I might mention that currency was also issued by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineer's Bank of Cleveland OH. The bank of course owned b the Brotherhood. This of course was before the current Federal Reserve system was placed into effect.
The BLE was also in the Florida Real Estate business during the 1920s, and in the Insurance business through the 1970s. Now, they are a part of the Teamsters...

$ 5.00 notes, with red seals were also issued as US Notes in the 50s, 60s and 70s, and perhaps later. I used to have one set aside, it's probably still with my valuable papers.

Boris, you are amazing!

thank you.

Louis- Great pictures. It took me a minute to understand what the RV photo was. Great movie. Nice looking tree and train set.

Curt, my wife and I both love that movie, it is one of our favorite movies!

thank you for your kind words.

Last edited:
Louis - Really like the photo of Washington Blve. Wouldn't mind having that '39 Ford. Nice looking Christmas tree. Gotta have a train at the base.

After Louis' photo of the CSX units, I don't know if I can compete with it for a rail photo, but here goes.

View attachment 32501

Later4

Thanks Chet, I knew somebody would tell me what kind of car that was!

I'm with you, a Christmas tree is not complete without a train!

Compete? You are the King of rail photos! You beat me hands down with that one. It also reminded me of sampling coal at the Curtis Bay coal terminal, great picture and memories, thank you!

Good morning Everybody!

Today I get to turn wrenches. I have to do the preventive maintenance on my van and my wife's car.

Using full synthetic oil on both. it exceeds the warranty, but I think the best warranty is the one you never use!

Have a great day Everybody!

Last edited:
1544603762732.png

Thanks Chet, I knew somebody would tell me what kind of car that was!
I have to contradict Chet, but it's a 1937 Ford (I had a businessman's coupe when I was 19/20), the 39's had rounder fenders and the H/lights were further apart, out in front of the wheels. That one has 2 door handles visible, so a 4 door convoitible. Seems they produced cloth tops in all the car models.

1544609158820.png

One of Baltimore’s many nicknames is “City of Firsts”….These “firsts” are testament to the innovations that Baltimoreans have developed throughout the city’s history. Numerous advances and innovations in industry, transportation, science, and education have been pioneered in Baltimore.

The first umbrella in America arrived in Baltimore from India in 1772. In 1828, the first American umbrella factory opened in Baltimore.
The world’s first dredger – the Baltimore Mud Machine, was invented by Andrew and John Ellicot in 1783.
The Methodist Church in America began on December 27, 1784 at Baltimore Town’s Lovely Lane meetinghouse.
The first electric refrigerator was invented by Thomas Moore in Baltimore in 1803.
The oldest stationer in the Western Hemisphere, Lucas Brothers, began in Baltimore in 1804.
Baltimore is the birthplace of American railroads (1828). To prove its practicality, America’s first steam locomotive, the Tom Thumb, raced a horse drawn carriage out to Ellicott’s Mills, and lost the race.
Samuel F.B. Morse sent the first telegraph message, “What hath God wrought?” from Washington DC along the B&O Right-of-way to Baltimore’s Mt. Clare Station in 1844.
The first ice cream freezer was patented by W. G. Young in 1848.
Baltimore’s Thomas Kensett is credited with perfecting the technique of canning fruits and vegetables in the 1850′s. Canning became a major Baltimore industry.
Ottmar Mergenthaler introduced his Linotype machine in 1886.
First commercial stomach antacid seltzer, Bromo-Seltzer, was made by Captain Isaac E. Emerson in 1891.
The Ouija board was invented and patented by Isaac and William Fuld in 1892.
First portable electric drill with pistol grip was developed at Black & Decker in 1916.
First producer of venetian blinds in the United States was the Eastern Venetian Blind Company, 1932.
Baltimore is the home of Noxzema skin care cream, originally called “Dr. Bunting’s Sunburn Remedy.”
Baltimore’s Public Works Museum is the first US museum dedicated to the history of municipal services.
The Battle Monument is 52 feet high and is dedicated to those who lost their lives defending the city…the first monument in the US to honor the soldiers instead of the generals.
First American city to win a championship in the Canadian Football League, the Baltimore CFL’s or “Stallions” (1995).
and more...
Baltimore Memories

Last edited:
Well, Trussrod wins the race this morning even though his post was actually posted at the end of the day, yesterday!

Where in the heck is Bruette?

I keep forgetting my duty to report the weather! Park Rapids, Minnesota is on the schedule to have weather today.

I guess Bruette was even faster than I am! Although this morning, he is in second place!

"The Battle Monument is 52 feet high and is dedicated to those who lost their lives defending the city…the first monument in the US to honor the soldiers instead of the generals". When I stood I.G. inspections over in Deutschland, in the U.S. ARMY, one of the guys in my company on the floor above me would always play "WAR PIGS" by Black Sabbath! It was "GREAT" and he never got in trouble for it!

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 24.
NWS has issued a black ice warning for our area. I'll see if the same moron as yesterday was driving 70mph+ on the freeway, sliding and fishtailing as he went.

Well, Trussrod wins the race this morning even though his post was actually posted at the end of the day, yesterday!

Where in the heck is Bruette?

I keep forgetting my duty to report the weather! Park Rapids, Minnesota is on the schedule to have weather today.
In Park Rapids; it's 21° with crappy weather in the forecast. although it may get above freezing this weekend.

Yup! David (Trussrod) is a "night owl". Louis (Bruette) functions in a different world. I, like you, am an early bird although I usually don't post until I have been up a couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back