Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1544452351442.png

Louis: Really great picture for me and Garry probably enjoyed it too ! That's my time period and the type of cars I have on my layout. If you look closely, you can even see the extended break rod shaft well above the roof line of the NP Box car. Also note the horizontal inspection door to the Right of the break rod shaft. Also note the very light weight rail the train is on. Possibly code 55 in HO gauge. The Tee Pee and wagon are also interesting.

David, I thought when I saw that picture you would enjoy it.

Your eye for detail is amazing!

Bruette - that's exactly what we had yesterday for lunch. Nothin' like a good grilled cheese and some hot tomato soup (with Oyster Crackers)!!
I love oyseter crackers, I love saltine crackers too. I like to put Cheese Nips in tomato soup. My wife says "you like soup with your crackers". I like to use a lot of crackers :)
1544453023073.png

Sherrel- look on ebay under G scale model railroad screws. I found 2 listings. Not cheap at all but if you have to have them.

Willie, as I see it we don't need to be good at identifying locomotives. I like what I like, that's good enough for me.

If I am curious about something there are several guys on here that can answer all my questions, thank you gentlemen.

I promise I will take pictures of my Christmas trains, including the front porch. Right now the porch layout is only cork over plywood with Lionel FasTrack, Lionel's Santa's Flyer set with the add-on car, Santa's Flyer wood sided reefer and a little undecorated 3' Christmas tree. The tree does have multi-color led lights on it, not very well, but they are on it. :) I have decorations to add and a star for the top. I believe I have a nativity set to add, somewhere, if not I'll buy another one. I'll make the lights look better when I decorate it. I think it looks good at night from the outside, as is.

I'm pretty sure all I need to do is to connect my phone to my computer through a USB cable to be able to post the pictures.

We don't have any trees completely decorated yet. I hope to do the one on the porch and the one in the family room today. Once everything is complete or as complete as it will get this Christmas.

I'm not stressing over making everything perfect. My goal is to do a little better each Christmas.

If you are interested I have pictures from previous Christmas trains on my computer in my train room and I can now access that computer. I'm making progress!!!

Thanks for sharing my Christmas with me :)

I think, but I'm not sure that is MD route 45, in Maryland we call it York road.

So on Google Maps, about here: 21798-21700 York Rd, Freeland, MD 21053

Not especially close to where I was, then. 50 miles or so by highway (not very direct).... That said, I think I drove up that Interstate several years ago when I stopped by Klein's while heading home from visiting relatives in PA and DE.

Good Morning Everyone......a sunny but a frosty morning in Wisconsin.

Early lunch and then down to the train room. Finish some landscaping of the sloped behind the mine and then some ballast work.

Going to look at Willie's idea about using Kadee coupler boxes on the hopper cars.

What about that stock market! I was hoping for a up-tick today after the weekend but no luck so far.

I haven't run any trains for a couple of weeks.

Not much else to report....

Later.

Greg

#####################

think, but I'm not sure that is MD route 45, in Maryland we call it York road.

Believe you are right about York Road. I-83 also had a significant marker for the Mason - Dixon Line as does I -81.

I grew up in SE PA, Chester County, so I can't help but wonder if that was nearby....

Chester County, bordered Cecil County. That was where PA Tax agents used to stake out parking lots of Liquor stores on the MD side, and arrest unsuspecting Pennsylvanians who purchased discounted (and untaxed by Pennsylvania) Liquor as soon as they crossed into Pennsylvania. Rt.272 was one of the favorite spots.
It got so bad in the 70s, that the Cecil County Sherriff's department arrested the PA revenue agents for criminal trespass and other crimes at the behest of the Liquor Storeowners.

Pennsylvania has a way of endearing themselves to people. :rolleyes:

Boris

Good morning. Finally cranked up the computer after turning it off Friday. Started the day off at 15 degrees and may get above freezing today.

The tournament went really well. My friends wife and I took first place for the final weekend of the tournament and fourth place for the three week event. $$$$ Still tired from the weekend. Got home Friday night after 10 PM from league bowling and our little doxie had us up at 4 AM Saturday. We did have time for breakfast, but had to pick up our other couple for the tournament. Sunday the doxie was hungry ar 3:30 AM. Tired all day long but did manage to run some trains Sunday. Again she was hungry at 3:30 this morning. Don't know if I took a nap this morning or fell asleep in the recliner. Cute only goes so far.

Ray - Those Garratts were some different locomotives. I have seen a number of videos of them. I like them.

Terry - Saw on the news where the Carolinas really got slammed. Be safe and stay off the roads.

Willie - Fun time in the kitchen.

Greg - Now you know why I like the 158's and other whisker couplers.

Johnny -Sounds like your wife is getting better. Hope the best for her. Now maybe you can have some real food.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Gfp-wisconsin-madison-sunset-over-the-train-tracks-by-the-lake.jpg

Time for a nap. Later

Afternoon All,

Did some odds and ends this morning and then did some staring at the siding I'm changing and moved buildings around to see how they looked in different spots and visualizing how traffic flow (rail cars) would work.

Louis- Great old time RR photo. Somehow I missed it when you posted it.

Terry- Would that be ice everywhere?

Johnny- Prayers for your cousin, that is horrible news.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Believe you are right about York Road. I-83 also had a significant marker for the Mason - Dixon Line as does I -81.

Chester County, bordered Cecil County. That was where PA Tax agents used to stake out parking lots of Liquor stores on the MD side, and arrest unsuspecting Pennsylvanians who purchased discounted (and untaxed by Pennsylvania) Liquor as soon as they crossed into Pennsylvania. Rt.272 was one of the favorite spots.
It got so bad in the 70s, that the Cecil County Sherriff's department arrested the PA revenue agents for criminal trespass and other crimes at the behest of the Liquor Storeowners.

Boris

With the price differential in gas taxes, I'm surprised they aren't staking out the filling stations around here!

With the price differential in gas taxes, I'm surprised they aren't staking out the filling stations around here!

There used to be a Cumberland Farms drive in convenience store on Ridge Road in New Castle Co DE, just South of the state line with Pennsylvania. They sold gallons of milk at substantially lower prices than one could buy them in PA, and also sold cigarettes by the carton substantially cheaper than what they could be obtained for in PA. There was frequently a parade of vehicles lined up to buy these "necessities". The PA authorities tried their best to discourage these folks but it was the highest revenue generating store in the chain. :rolleyes:

Boris

Boris

Ahh, 272. Knew it well. My folks bought a house in West Nottingham the summer before I went away to college in the mid-70s. It was just off 272.

I wouldn't be surprised if my father might have had my mother buy his beer in MD, at least from time to time; she taught at Cecil County Community College for a time. I don't think they ever "got busted," but perhaps the "revenooers" focused on younger folks...

Good Morning all,

Another morning of freezing fog, with a temperature of 14 degrees.

View attachment 32422
I love oyseter crackers, I love saltine crackers too. I like to put Cheese Nips in tomato soup. My wife says "you like soup with your crackers". I like to use a lot of crackers :)
View attachment 32421
That's exactly what my wife says to me. She also says that at a salad bar too. I tend to go overboard with the croutons, and bacon bits. Sometimes I even get the embarrassed look. Hey there's no sign that says 2 scoop limit

Good Morning Everyone......a sunny but a frosty morning in Wisconsin.

Early lunch and then down to the train room. Finish some landscaping of the sloped behind the mine and then some ballast work.

Going to look at Willie's idea about using Kadee coupler boxes on the hopper cars.

What about that stock market! I was hoping for a up-tick today after the weekend but no luck so far.

I haven't run any trains for a couple of weeks.

Not much else to report....

Later.

Greg

#####################

Hey Greg,

The stock market... that is a political land mine that I'll step around. I can say; history shows the market always rebounds. How long that will take is anybody's guess.

My advice, run some trains, it's good therapy.

Boris
Boris, I did not know about the PA tax agents or the Cecil County Sherriff, that is interesting, thank you. They are almost as bad as drug dealers feuding over customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back