Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then 1950
Heavy equipment pulls old pilings that supported Light Street piers. A section of the old Baltimore Basin was filled for a parking area called Sam Smith Park.
George H. Cook / Baltimore Sun
1544179138321.png

Now 2018
Harborplace opened in 1980 on the former site of the Baltimore Steam Packet Company's steamship terminal in Baltimore's Inner Harbor
Jerry Jackson / Baltimore Sun
1544179212022.png

Time to set up my Lionel Silver Bells Express under the Christmas Tree in our family room.
1544179629385.png

When Lionel came out with this set a few years ago I could not pass it up. You can never have too many Christmas trains and this one is very special to me. Every Christmas before she left for Heaven my late sister would ask me "do you remember Mommy singing Silver Bells"?

The Holidays are a great time to make new memories, Happy Holidays Everybody!

Bruette, Is that the U.S.S Constellation we see mid photo all the way to the right? I know that Baltimore is her home. I love your maritime History along with other eastern seaboard towns. Just glad I live in the sticks. I am a sailor and can name for you every sail's name in the photo I showed of the "Pride of Baltimore". Oh, sorry; what am I thinking: 10 above now, rising to 20 above, mostly sunny, barometer 30.41 inches, wind 8 mph out of the West!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, you are correct sir! That is indeed the U.S.S Constellation.

I know next to nothing about boats/ships and even less about sailing ships/boats. I have visited and boarded the Constellation and she is magnificent. Although she is much too small for me to be comfortable, but I'm 6'8".

I'm fascinated by war ships of all nations, especially our ships. In fact yesterday when I rested in bed for a bit I ended up watching the story of "Taffy 3' in the battle off of Samar for the countless time, has to be a dozen, at least. It was a true "David vs Goliath" and gives me chills every time I see it!

For me the naval battle of off Samar and the land battle of Hue epitomize what it means to be an American! There are countless others of course, but those 2 are my favorites.

I have a train running!!!

Thanks to my brilliant friend and our esteemed forum member, Terry for advising me to use Cork rather then Homasote it was easy to set up, with no mess and makes no more noise running on my hard tile floor than it did when I ran it on carpet!

Thank you again Terry!!!

Good Morning all,

14 degrees to start the day, possibly going into the mid 20s.

I was finally able to sit down last night, and watch George Bush’s eulogy to his father. If you haven’t watched it yet I would highly recommend it. It was very well done.

Happy Friday everyone!

Good Morning Everyone. 42° and cloudy. Not too sure what the difference between cloudy and overcast is, but it looks more overcast to me. Weather Underground indicates 100% chance of rain today and tomorrow. Yesterday's 90% never materialized here. Weather guys need to communicate with Mother Nature a little bit better. Made the grocery/beer trek yesterday in record time, maybe since my wife stayed home! Gas stations all over Denton TX have regular gas for between $1.69 and $1.74 per gallon. Been a long time since I saw that price. Even out here in the boonies, $1.99 is the going rate.
Still savoring supper from last night. I fixed a prime rib roast medium-rare (more rare than medium), smashed potatoes, gravy, Yorkshire pudding and oven-roasted Brussels sprouts. Accompanied that with a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. We only have this once or twice a year due to cost, but rib roasts were on sale about three weeks ago and I picked one up. Wife actually made the gravy and Yorkshire pudding since I am challenged by both.

Had another day in the train shed of just running trains. Just not in the project mood right now. I am fortunate that I have completed the main line and I can just run trains when I am having a non-creative day. No pressures. I did experiment quite a bit with blocking the train out of the yard instead of arriving in town with a clutter of cars. While I always grouped multiple cars for a single industry together, I previously didn't do much in the order that they were in, in the train itself. Yesterday I did some grouping based on facing-point spurs and trailing-point spurs. For yesterday's "out and back turn", I also did not block the main with any cars since I had two sidings (opposite sides of the main) and several long spurs available for storage. Used the main only for getting back and forth and the eventual run-around. Added some additional interest to the whole operation, had to think more like a conductor. The next step will be sorting boxcars correctly. No more "RBL's" going to industries where "XM's" are more appropriate. If I ever implement the switching program that I have, this will be automatic.

Johnny - Since I have many relatives in the Dallas area, I generally get three to five gift certificates to Discount every Christmas. My birthday is ten days later and I get another handful. My grandson's however, enjoy picking out stuff that they think will fit, and they do a very good job. Actually I think that the nine year old does the picking for both of them and the eleven year old just goes along. I have gotten some very appropriate items over the years.
Best wishes and prayers for today's procedure.
Sherrel -
I wonder how long it will be until CA decides to ban fireplaces - at least wood burning types?
It probably won't be long, they need to raise revenues for PG&E to pay off the lawsuits.
Garry - Continue to have a safe trip.
Eric - You definitely deserved that Spotted Cow.
Ray - Nice wheels. Nice history and pictures as well.
Louis - I have been enjoying your historical photos of Baltimore all week long. Keep it up.

In the midst of all of the celebration of George H. W. Bush's life, Hanukkah, and the upcoming Christmas season, let's not forget that today is Pearl Harbor Day; a key date in American history. Thanks again to all veteran's especially those few remaining from that day. We salute all of you.
Have a great day everyone.

Good morning. A warmer start to the day than yesterday at 2 degrees. Made it up to 23 yesterday.

I will probably get some laundry going as we are going to head to Laurel, MT for the tournament we passed on because of the weather a couple of weeks ago. They had a few slots open for the last week of the tournament and another couple we bowl with talked us into going.

Ray - Interesting cars back then. They had a "personality" back then, not like the ones today that pretty well all look the same. I had been looking at new cars for a couple of years now and have finally decided that the car makers can keep them. I have cash on hand, but they are putting just too much technology in them that I have no use for and refuse to pay for. I'll just drive what I have until the wheels fall off.

Willie
- I saw a news article about the gas prices in Denton. It's been a long time since prices like that have been around. I can remember putting nothing but Amoco high test in my 1969 Chevelle when we were living in Florida. 32 cents a gallon. Gas wars were common and once in a while Sunoco 190 was going for 14 cents a gallon.

Garry
- Enjoy the visit to Florida.

Hope to spend some time running trains today being that it is so cold out.

Here's my rail picture for today.

thumbnail_20181206_151015.jpg

Later

I see that the door of "Jeffrey's Coffee Shop" is wide open this morning. I am doing things in reverse today. Already had breakfast (usually not till 10am), and looking where to put the train this year. I see that some furniture moving will be involved as MOH decided not to put the tree where we usually have it.
It's 50 degrees on the way to 66? Didn't make the high yesterday with all the rain, thunder, and lightening ... yes - we had a real old fashion thunder boomer pass overhead yesterday. Thunder shook the house several times - a sight and sound that we are not accustomed too here. My bucket showed another 2.5 inches after I missed maybe 1/4-1/2 inch the day before. Brings the total close to 6 inches for the rainy season total this year? Pushing towards our 13.35 inch yearly rainfall - bring it on!

Managed to clear a path in the garage to bring my truck partly in. It overheated on me going/coming from the store a couple days ago. Found out that it was out of water; now, that is a mystery to me. I will admit that I haven't checked the water in probably a year, but I have not seen any accumulation underneath either -- where did the water go? Did it just evaporate?

MIKE - I thought that the whole funeral of GHWB was very well done - MOH and I watched most all of it. We thought the speech by the Canadian, Simpson, and George were all very well said. She was most impressed with the precision of all the military personnel, and as they were carrying the casket into the grounds at the end - she said to me: "He certainly was an extraordinary man - he touched all the bases".

CHET -- That is your greatest photo to date! OUTSTANDING!

Louis -- Impossible for me to forget Pearl Harbor Day! The significance to me is that it is the day that I proposed to my Spousal Unit - and she said YES!

It's bright and sunny after three days of cloudy, rainey, misty weather - let us rejoice!

Afternoon All,

I've been feeling kinda blah all day. Being stationed at Pearl for 14 years the attack there is always present in the back of your mind. I finished the ice house roof and I'm currently trying to figure out options to change the plastic hand rails on the TT bridge to metal after laying wood planking on it and redoing the operator shack.

Chet- Very nice layout pic.

Louis- Great historical photos from you. I bet you're happy to have a train running.

20181207_111512-2016x980.jpg

I used 1x10 scale lumber cut to 12' scale length

20181206_090455-2016x980.jpg

20181206_090531-3024x1470.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone.....overcast this morning with snow showers and now sunny and cold.

When to Walther's this morning and returned three items. Wanted some metal wheel-sets and they were sold out except for packs of 100 or the Proto 2000 with plastic axles. I choose the plastic axles without having any experience with plastic axles. Sort of looks like a shortage of wheel sets exists at Walther's. I took a second look at the Erie Mining locomotive that I saw two weeks ago, an Atlas Classic with LokSound. Marked at $99.95 and was noted that the decoder was defective. Keith, the sales guy test ran the locomotive for me and everything worked, except when running the locomotive it would stop and start repeatedly. I decided not to purchase the locomotive. The sound was great and I liked the color scheme on the locomotive. I'll look for one elsewhere.

I also purchased a 25 pair pack of the Kadee #158 Whisker couplers to add to the bunch I purchased on my last trip. I'll need them as I do my ore cars conversions and weathering. During my last two visits to Walther's I have never seen the showroom so busy with customers.

Contacted Circus Decals for a quote on making 60 decals of my railroad's logo and now just have to work out the details and place an order. Fast response and I received a reply back within an hour from sending my information to him.

CM&NR Logo November 15, 2018.jpg

I plan on patching 24 ore cars or taconite cars with the logo.

Down to the layout soon and get some work done.

That's all for now.

Greg

###########################

Engine House.jpg

The engine house on the CM&N is located next to the Saxeville Interchange. It has interior lighting, but I darkened the window glazing and now the lighting isn't visible.

If your an N scaler your in luck, this just announced.

Kato USA, Inc added 2 new photos.
4 hrs ·
By popular demand, Kato USA has announced a provisional pre-order for a new production run of both the recently released N Scale SD70ACe #1943 “the Spirit” locomotive, as well as the N Scale SD70ACe #4141 “George Bush Presidential Library and Museum”. Both of these units will be available to order in DC/DCC/DCC w/ Sound. Submit your reservation to your local hobby shop no later than Monday, January 7th, 2019.
Please note that this is a provisional preorder. If our total order quantities do not meet a certain minimum by the end of the January 7th deadline, we reserve the right to cancel any of these projects! So it is imperative that you put in your reservations in ASAP.

Don't do N scale.I'm thinking of ordering UP 1943 ho by Athearn.Hopefully they'll rerun 4141.

Evening, all.

It having been a while since we've been out for a movie, DairyStateMom suggested we check out "The Old Man and The Gun," with Robert Redford tonight. Just got back, and I gotta say, I haven't enjoyed a movie so much in a long time. Highly recommended. Of course, I expect YMMV, but we loved it.

Have s good night, all...

Curt: Thanks for the correction, I did get things mixed up.

You had the fraudulent charges on your cc, glad you were able to catch them in time.

Sherrel: About Synthetic Oil - Superior lubrication qualities compared to conventional oils and does not break under higher heat like regular oil does. But only buy Full/100% Synthetic Oil ! I listened to auto mechanics that said, a synthetic blend does not guarantee it's at least a 50/50 blend, the amount of synthetic added to conventional oil can be a lot less!

I see that the door of "Jeffrey's Coffee Shop" is wide open this morning. I am doing things in reverse today. Already had breakfast (usually not till 10am), and looking where to put the train this year. I see that some furniture moving will be involved as MOH decided not to put the tree where we usually have it.
It's 50 degrees on the way to 66? Didn't make the high yesterday with all the rain, thunder, and lightening ... yes - we had a real old fashion thunder boomer pass overhead yesterday. Thunder shook the house several times - a sight and sound that we are not accustomed too here. My bucket showed another 2.5 inches after I missed maybe 1/4-1/2 inch the day before. Brings the total close to 6 inches for the rainy season total this year? Pushing towards our 13.35 inch yearly rainfall - bring it on!

Managed to clear a path in the garage to bring my truck partly in. It overheated on me going/coming from the store a couple days ago. Found out that it was out of water; now, that is a mystery to me. I will admit that I haven't checked the water in probably a year, but I have not seen any accumulation underneath either -- where did the water go? Did it just evaporate?

Louis -- Impossible for me to forget Pearl Harbor Day! The significance to me is that it is the day that I proposed to my Spousal Unit - and she said YES!

It's bright and sunny after three days of cloudy, rainey, misty weather - let us rejoice![/QUOTE]

Sherrel,
you weather is close to a desert climate!

That's a great story about pearl harbor day, your lucky day!

Now for your truck... lots of possible causes, but I doubt very seriously that evaporation is one of them. Considering your weather a minor leak, it might evaporate before you notice a puddle. Sealed systems only lose trace amounts to evaporation.
Did you have engine coolant in the radiator?
What does your motor oil look like? I hope it does not look like chocolate milk. If a head gasket is leaking it can enter the into the oil or the exhaust system.
Have you ever replaced the water pump?
Do you have a pressure tester? I'd ask you to pull it in my drive way, but it's a bit far for you.
Id recommend you fill it with water and take it in for service. Check to see if your heat is working on the way. If I remember correctly you have an older truck and it could be a thermostat stuck closed. The new thermostats usually stick open when they fail.
I hope it's a simple fix for you.

This is why I did not keep my old van. No matter what I repaired/replaced it was still almost 20 years old and something else will fail. New stuff fails too, but they have warranties.

I'm sorry for your trouble. I wish I could be of more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back