Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone.....again overcast here in Wisconsin.

This morning took the Mrs. to the hospital for tests and she passed with flying colors. While I waited, I drove around and when to the UP (former C&NW) yard in Butler, Wisconsin. A side street runs parallel to the yard and its been at least seven years since I traveled along the street and watched the action in the yard.

Today, I found that it appears that the UP has removed half of the yard trackage. Next time I'll check on the status of the UP locomotive facility at the north end of the yard and see what's happening there and if there are as many locomotives present as in the past.

Tomorrow back to the layout and the mine area with ballast and scenery. After looking at these areas it doesn't appear to the long reach I thought it would be, but there's one section of track that will be a long reach. Yesterday, I did some wiring under the bench work and in this area I can sit in my rolling chair and do the work unlike the areas under the layout with 3'8" clearances that require working overhead.

Johnny: Great news.

Chet: I hear that buffaloes make great house pets.

Louis and Terry: I agree with your thoughts about our hobby being expensive, but worth it. A nice locomotive may holds its value better than some funds I have invested in as we experience the stock market's decline. Today the DJIA is down 800 points....WOW!!!

The $$$ spent on our hobby is worth every penny and the level of our satisfaction the hobby provides can't have a price tag attached to it. (At least my wife doesn't know what I spend in a year.)

Sherrel: This the time of the year for seasonal colds and allergies. Hope you feel better soon. Who do you think will be the next GB Packer Head Coach?

Well it's Miller Time.....

Until tomorrow.

Greg

################

Last edited:
OK, so freezers have drains? I've been wondering why my side by side fridge piddles a little bit on the floor once in a while. (on the freezer side) At 1st I thought it was the puppy, til I realized it was just water. I'll have to investigate it, as I'm getting tired of soaking it up!

If it's leaking out from the front, it's probably coming out between the door seal and casing. Check inside at the back of the fridge for a small drain hole. They block up. Poke something flexible down it to allow the defrosted ice buildup that runs down to that drain, during the defrosting cycle to get down to the evaporating tray.

We have a freezer that has a defrosting cycle but no evaporating tray. Instead it has a "tray" built in beneath the bottom drawer, that catches that defrosted water, but then refreezes that when it goes back to the freezing cycle again. It gets forgotten till I see a bit of water coming out a corner of the door. Then it's a case of using a plastic chisel to get it all out so the bottom drawer can be pulled out easily.

Louis, Go look at this thread and see if you can provide this fellow some advice on Lionel. He is getting a one sided view from me on G-gauge.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...s/buy-a-set-or-build-a-set.30895/#post-445409
Thank you Iron Horsemen, you are the best!

Good morning Everybody!

Another good nights sleep for me, thank God!

Time is short because I am taking my boys to school, but I wanted to at least check in. Got to try and keep streaks alive, even if it's only a single!

I'll be back later this morning. I'm going move at an even slower pace today because my old bones are talking to me.

Have a great morning Everybody!

Last edited:
Good Morning All. 27° and partly cloudy around here. Slightly warmer temperatures for a couple of days with rain probable starting tomorrow night. Came away from the doctor yesterday with no missing parts and with a clean bill of health. While I was out, I did do some Christmas shopping and stopped to have four new tires put on the SUV. Getting the house ready for Christmas took up a good part of the afternoon, but at least that's out of the way early this year.
Didn't do much in the train shed yesterday except clean things up a bit. I normally have a few guests drop by and I needed to put up tools that I won't be able to find next time that I need them, remove extension cords from across aisleways, etc. Hauled a couple of cartons of empty beer bottles to the dumpster about 80 yards from the shed, and got a good workout. While cleaning and dusting the layout a few weeks ago, I earmarked an older Walther's structure for upgrading when I got into the mood. Well that was yesterday. The structure is Sunrise Feed Mill that I assembled at least twenty years ago. I had originally given up after assembling it, although I have used it on three layouts. One reason besides the crappy instructions (I E-Mailed Bruce Walther's at the time), was that none of the decals supplied with the kit would fit on any wall. They were all too big. Well they're still too big but I now have a large stash of surplus signs that I was able to pick from. The business now has a name, "Lone Star Feed & Fertilizer". Pictures coming as soon as I finish. I applied some signs and added some weathering to the roof and walls. Today I will add figures and details and place it back on the plywood!

Sherrel - Get well soon. Yes those glass crates are always made from very high quality wood.
Louis - A separate train building is not for everyone. But with fifteen acres and no basements in Texas, it was my answer.
Greg - While my wife sort of knows what I spent building the train shed, she doesn't really know what I spent over the years building the collection. She does know that it's far less than what her best friend who raises horses spends...never sells them. As long as I provided for the family etc., there has never been an issue.

85 years ago today, Prohibition was repealed, so let's all have a drink and celebrate. Everyone have a great day.

Louis - A separate train building is not for everyone. But with fifteen acres and no basements in Texas, it was my answer

Willie, I can still dream, I love the idea of a separate building, but reality is... reality! My yard is 50'x100' and my wife wants a pool. No separate building for me, but I do have a 10'x16' shed, full of stuff!

Everything really is bigger in Texas!

Maybe if I hit the lottery I will buy an abandoned warehouse and go crazy! :) Indoor batting cage with pitchers mound, driving range, and above everything, trains! With an elevator!

I'm grateful for what I have, the entire second floor of my house is my play pen/train room, thank God!

Its a 12 minute commute, how warm can a car get in that breif of a drive? Its not worth warming it up ahead of time.
I think my son uses as much fuel warming up his Equinox as he does driving to work.

Thank God that boy went to college. That was money well spent. I can't imagine him having to work outside like I did for much of my life.

Me, I put on my hat, if it's really cold and drive! Even my little 2.0 liter engine takes about 5 minutes before the heat kicks in. Come to think of it I don't really know how long it takes, I always forget to turn on the heat!

1544020508080.png

1544020645809.png

1544020732127.png

Happy Holidays Everybody!

Good morning. A chilly start to the day at 7 degrees. We may make it up to the low 30's.

Ray - Like that video. Quite a suprise for the people waiting at the crossing.

Greg - I don't think I would want to try to house train a buffalo.

I did manage to get down to the train room for a while yesterday. Was nice to run trains for a while.

Here's a rail picture for today.

train-track-wallpaper-37972-38842-hd-wallpapers.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back