Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

Mike I really like your CSX locomotive!

I find these N scale trains very enticing!
Thank you Louis. I'm trying to get a bunch more so I can assemble the worlds largest longest N scale power move...hee hee! Also have four good MRC DC powerpacks in case there's some way to slave them all together. Hope I don't trip the circuit breaker for my apartment, don't even know where it is. :eek:

Thanks Carey. I'll take option 2. Seems fairly cheap enough to make a running engine from something non-operational. However, the old drive-shafts are missing. I have no idea what diameters I would need.
I'll have to take it apart again to see more detail given some other advices and info.
E.

Eric,

The diameters needed are for the metal shafts on the motor, and the metal shafts on the gear box and trucks. That's why I said that you need to remove the old drive cups, so you can get to the shafts to measure them. A cheap caliper, I have a solid metal one that has no dials etc, on it. (I think that mine came from Hobby Lobby). It is simply a sliding piece of metal inside another, and the scale is divided into mm's and inches. It can be used to measure those shafts accurately enough to get the right size, and you get the set of universals that matche those shafts. IIRC, those shafts are 2 or 2.4mm, but measure to be sure.

Eric,

The diameters needed are for the metal shafts on the motor, and the metal shafts on the gear box and trucks. That's why I said that you need to remove the old drive cups, so you can get to the shafts to measure them. A cheap caliper, I have a solid metal one that has no dials etc, on it. (I think that mine came from Hobby Lobby). It is simply a sliding piece of metal inside another, and the scale is divided into mm's and inches. It can be used to measure those shafts accurately enough to get the right size, and you get the set of universals that matche those shafts. IIRC, those shafts are 2 or 2.4mm, but measure to be sure.

I can handle that!. I have a digital micrometer that does ID as well as OD.

Thanks Carey!
E.

Eric, Ebay is your friend for that old U boat. I saw a running, operating U25C sell for $8 this afternoon. It would have had all the parts you needed, plus been a source for parts in the future.

Evening All,

Back from the club. Had supper with the guys at the club and I am paying for it now with the heart burn.

Ken- I got very lucky right after I started on my layout. A woman called our club to donate her husbands (who had just passed away) layout to our club if we would remove it. Our club president invited me as one of the half dozen to go. The man did craftsman level work and believe it or not, nothing was glued down-everything was pinned to foam. To make a long story short I got probably 700-1000 free trees and around 40 pieces of Atlas Code 83 flex track. Since then I have probably purchased another 800 trees over 4 years, so now I have everything "Planted" and have about a dozen as spares or for changes. When I buy trees I buy pine type trees since they don't have to be high end and still look good. The thing about trees is if you think you need 100 trees you really need 400. This is what I have found anyway.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon,
Hi Flo and Francine, I'll just have some coffee and a peace of whatever pie you might have. Ya, some hot apple sounds good!

I built myself a new work tray to go across two draws of my old desk became the smaller one I had been using was allowed too much stuff to either fall over the edge even with the half round molding as a border it just wasn't high enough. So the new one has a 1" border around it on three sides and about a 1/4" strip along the front edge. Also with more room I can now have some smaller box halves or trays to categorize things better for a neater work area.

Once I had completed this I then got busy fitting the painted and glazed windows for the Horseshoe Meadow Depot into place, and at around 5:00 Am this morning I finally had all but two small windows glued in place. The first large window fit into the opening perfectly, all of the other 9 plus the three doors needed to have the opening filed with a good brand of Diamond grit finger nail file and I still had 6 very small and 3 medium windows to go! As above I still have two of the very small windows to get fitted and both are going to take a fair amount of filing again but it sure looks good to at last see the doors and windows in place. I also still have two Brick Chimneys to install plus more ornate roof detail.

I also just made myself a loaf of bread, half wheat & white.

Curt - I like all the trees you got on your layout, are any of them home-grown? My layout will be needing trees too but I don't want to take out a second mortgage to buy them all from Scenic Express/Woodland Scenics or any of those new commercial treemaker-wannabees...

Hi Ken, Trees, are not too hard to make depending on what type your looking to plant on your layout. Some nice Pine's can can be made in several ways. If you want some nice foreground Pine trees you can get a some Basswood in various lengths and trim off the edges and add bark texture using a Hack Saw Blade an and taper it at the same time. The shavings can be used as ground cover too. Stain the tree trunks anything from a Driftwood shade to a Redwood color. Then get some Caspia from a craft store and Alien's Tacky glue, and nip off various lengths of the caspia branches and with a pin vise and drill bit of the appropriate size drill holes in various places to insert the various lengths of Caspia. [I have the Caspia with the little needle like growth sticking up, my preference. You can also spray these with cheap hair spray and then sprinkle on Woodland Scenics [WS] ground foam in anything from a light green to darker green and spray again.] Remember the lower branches will hang down and the midpoint will be sticking straight out and the upper wil be angled up toward the sky. Don't forget to ad a few dead branches below the lower live branches. These trees do take a little while to make a very realistic foreground tree. If you want a bunch of smaller ready made trunks get a box of the chopsticks you break apart and after trimming off a bit at the bottom you have a ready formed tree trunk of about 10".

If you want Oak trees, and have any growing locally that are fairly young, You can often, find new or fairly new, growth branches that are appropriate for HO scale and if cut across the branch in the middle of the bulge they can make a very realistic tree trunk and branches. Then with some WS net type stuff you can get some fairly nice looking trees. There are other plants also such as Nandeena for smaller types of young Oaks or other scenic trees.

Also, if you can anchor one end, the loop end of some fairly limber wire that can be twisted easily and lay various lengths of cut jute alone the length between the two wires and then get the two loose ends chucked up in a drill motor and while holding it taunt give it a quick pull of the triger and release it should twist the wire with the jute to form a Christmas tree style tree and you can trim as desired. You then can even cut the length of the jute here and there to form variations in growth length. Again these can also be sprayed with hair spray and sprinkle on some ground foam to suit yourself.

I guess WS or other source also has some small leaf type of material available to add a different effect to the Oaks etc.

Just some food for thought.

Eric, Ebay is your friend for that old U boat. I saw a running, operating U25C sell for $8 this afternoon. It would have had all the parts you needed, plus been a source for parts in the future.

That would have been a good deal. I agree. I gotta serious with eBay from about 10 years ago. I've never had an eBay first off. Out of the blue I started getting these emails directly to me about "why haven't you shipped my orders" and "I want my money back otherwise I'm filing a law suit". I was completely clueless at first and just ignored them as they got the wrong email address. But then I started getting called out by name!
WTF!!!??? I tried to contact someone at ebay about it - good luck trying to get ahold of an actual human being.
I finally got someone through instant messaging. I told them what was going on. They asked what to do about it. I said if there is an account by this email - it is NOT me and kill it. It took this idiot 30 minutes to finally understand I have never signed up for ebay account after they repeatedly were telling to reset my passwords. Hello! I don't have an account!!
"Well, what's your account number sir?" Good God! Really?

And thus, my reluctance to deal with PayPal in our earlier transaction. If it cost you anything, I'll be happy to make you whole for it withOUT hesitation.
E.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, the fees on my end were just the standard Paypal fees. They didn;t charge extra for what we had to do to get things taken care of. And now you know it is possible to use Paypal without a Paypal account.

Bob .... Happy 40th anniversary
Louis ... Happy d'day to your better half.
Carey .... Good to see you in here. We were in Birmingham for only 2 days at Christmas.
Curt .... Your layout looks good. Interesting how you acquired stuff from the widow.

I'll try posting a video of my layout. I hope this works. My photgraphy skills are not the best. Running trains while operating a camera takes more coordination than I have.

Included are Atlas D24's with Soundtraxx Tsunami sound; BLI E7's with factory installed sound; and an Intermoutan F7 with MRC EMD 567 sound and two non-sound P2K F3's.

th_DSCN6199_zpsnzrxi7tl.png

Good morning everyone...

9084.1250762032_zpsjzeu60js.jpg

N&W Y6 2142 leaves Blue Ridge with the eastbound local freight after switching the stone crusher there, on the 6th of November '58...

pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

Good Morning! Today is Sun 2/1/15.

Snow until later today with a high of 33.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

trainwreck.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Why did they have such huge cylinders on the front set of drivers?

Those locomotives were compound engines. The high pressure steam from the boiler first went to the rear cylinders, was used there, then was exhausted through large pipes to the front cylinders where it was used again. Since the high pressure steam would expand when it was used, the front, lower pressure cylinders had to be larger in order to have enough room for the expanded steam. The steam was then exhausted through the smokestack.
Compounds were invented by a guy named Anetoille Mallet. Now you also know why compound steam engines are called Mallets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning. It's Super Sunday! It's 23°, and typically dark, grey and gloomy this morning. Looks like we're in for some nasty weather later on.

On the bright side, I assembled a 1968 - 1969 era Roundhouse Penn Central 40' box car yesterday. Hard to believe that I have had this "easy assembly" kit sitting around for so long. I replaced the inclosed x2f couplers with Kadee # 148, and used Intermountain 33" brass wheels to replace the supplied plastic wheels.

Roundhouse, was the first manufacturer to come out with their standard models painted PC green, with PC artwork. The other cars were the 50' plug door box car, the 40' gondola, and the PS1 Covered hopper. Granted, these models are somewhat crude when compared to contemporary offerings, but I have the three together, in a train of PC cars, and from three feet away, the Roundhouse PC green favorably blends with the offerings of Bowser, Atlas (PCHS car),Accurail and Tangent. Some weathering, and the addition of ACI and COTS decals will help with the appearance. The only car somewhat replicating a PC Prototype, is the still to be found covered hopper, (H34).

I also completed and filed my Federal and State taxes for 2014 ;).

Good morning everyone,

29 with cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore

Boris you have been busy! What are you going to pull that Penn Central boxcar with?

I have several Penn Central pieces of rolling stock and I have a Penn Central locomotive on my wish list. Preferably a GG1 or an Alco diesel, oh heck I take anyone!

Back