Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

Hey BigE,

Post your pictures of your locomotives, you will be surprised how much the experts on here can tell you about them.

Myself I am terrible at identifying locomotives, I need to get one of those diesel spotters guides.

Hey BigE,

Post your pictures of your locomotives, you will be surprised how much the experts on here can tell you about them.

Myself I am terrible at identifying locomotives, I need to get one of those diesel spotters guides.

Here you go. The old steamer is missing the front boiler plate and the front truck on the tender. The motor inside is completely frozen up no matter how much I worked on it.

Chessie.JPGICG1102.JPGOldSteamer.JPGTransitAuthority.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Chessie BigE, but it would be better if it were a Chessie/B&O, but I am biased.

Bed time for me.

Have a good night everybody!

Maybe those are what's in the real picture.
But mine doesn't have the 2 raised boxes behind the horns.
Mine also doesn't have the mesh panel doors behind the cab. Mine are solid panels like the 25B.
Here is a pic of mine.
Sorry, I haven't gotten used to having a camera again after so many years.View attachment 48089
Yes, the one I linked to is the new, improved version. Yours should have a three pole motor inside the cab, with a driveshaft going to a gearbox in the middle inside the hood, which goes through a series of gears to a pair of driveshafts, under the engine, one going to each truck. The outer axles on each truck should be powered, with the center axle being an unpowered set.
The coulers are kind of strange, but you can probably figure out something that will work, like a Kadee 36-37 or similar.

I like the Chessie BigE, but it would be better if it were a Chessie/B&O, but I am biased.

Bed time for me.

Have a good night everybody!

Yeah. The Chessie is my favorite in the DC stock. I runs smooth even at low speeds, pulls a number of cars without troubles. I like the paint scheme. Reminds me of the Blue Angels. Even you saw the pics in my living room, it would not be hard to tell I love military (especially Navy) aircraft.

The ICG was a good runner until I [must have] broke off a pickup to the motor. The lights still come but it won't budge otherwise. They are both Tyco engines I think - ICG definitely is but the Chessie is missing it's bottom tank cover so I'm not sure. They are a pain to take apart - that much I'm certain.

Yes, the one I linked to is the new, improved version. Yours should have a three pole motor inside the cab, with a driveshaft going to a gearbox in the middle inside the hood, which goes through a series of gears to a pair of driveshafts, under the engine, one going to each truck. The outer axles on each truck should be powered, with the center axle being an unpowered set.
The coulers are kind of strange, but you can probably figure out something that will work, like a Kadee 36-37 or similar.

You are correct about the driveshafts to the front and rears trucks. Those are what's missing. It sounds smooth to put the power to it so I know it wants to go. I think it would be a good runner myself. This is an old one so it's DC only.
The couplers on mine look like the hook type with that lower point cut off. I have a few other cars like that as well.

Got a lead on where I get driveshafts for it? I did some searching a few weeks but wasn't sure.
E.

C44-9w

Greetings coffee fans! I just acquired my fourth Kato N scale C44-9W! But this is my first C44-9W that is a CSX.....Whoa! :eek: I'm a bit stunned by how real it looks for N scale. :confused: :eek:

CSX9009a_zps30feedb4.jpg

Well darn it!!! I started looking real close at the trucks on this thing. These are different than the Hi-Adhesion trucks on the dash-9. This engine is probably a CW40-8 and I see there are only 8 small grill panels at the rear. The dash-9 has 9 rear grill panels.

VERY NICE AND COOL.
Cooler yet is you a picture of the real one to go along with the scale one.
Get some cold startup and idling sounds and I'll start drooling.
E.
Hello BigE, the engine sounds would be nice! I may get DCC some day......just using good old DC for now.

Hello BigE, the engine sounds would be nice! I may get DCC some day......just using good old DC for now.

Just go to youtube and search on anything SD40-2, GP38, SD70-AC, DDA40X and startup and you'll be drooling as well. They tell me I/you can put sound in DC engines but I've already seen too many DCC coolnesses and what extra effects DCC can add.... well, I just had to jump in. Having said that, none of my stuff, DCC or DC, has any sounds at all.
Had I known they didn't come with sound already, I'd happily have shelled out the extra 50 or so and be done with it. I don't mind getting my hands dirty with something new at all. It's just been a REALLY long time since I've dealt with digital electronics at this level.
Yes, I'm very new to DCC as well.
Eric.

Just go to youtube and search on anything SD40-2, GP38, SD70-AC, DDA40X and startup and you'll be drooling as well. They tell me I/you can put sound in DC engines but I've already seen too many DCC coolnesses and what extra effects DCC can add.... well, I just had to jump in. Having said that, none of my stuff, DCC or DC, has any sounds at all.
Had I known they didn't come with sound already, I'd happily have shelled out the extra 50 or so and be done with it. I don't mind getting my hands dirty with something new at all. It's just been a REALLY long time since I've dealt with digital electronics at this level.
Yes, I'm very new to DCC as well.
Eric.
You have a nice looking fleet yourself!

You have a nice looking fleet yourself!

The ones I show in the pics above are all DC.
I can swap out DCC to run DC pretty quick for now.
The only DCC units I got was the SD40-2 CSX "Dark Future", the GP38-2 in UP scheme and against WAAAYYY better judgement I just had to have the DDA40X just because of it coolness knowing good and well it can't handle curves - for now. This is the first I've gone public about buying that DDA40x unit. I got talked me out of burning money on the SD70.
I figure someday I'll grow into it/them.

The other engine I didn't show because lighting wouldn't show it well as it is solid flat black with no markings. It pulls everything with no problem. And it runs smooth and quiet at slow speeds as well - hell, you can about tell when the drive shaft does a single turn - even thru the turnouts.

In the mean time, I'm looking for a local club I can bring my "Big Jack" to run on. I haven't found any so far. Maybe I should call some club number and talk to someone. Maybe they aren't on the net.
E.

The only DCC units I got was the SD40-2 CSX "Dark Future",
E.
I want to get a couple SD40-2. Most of my 31 locos are the modern GE 4400 HP series. With this new csx today now have fourteen of them.....all Katos. I have found Kato N scale engines to be the best and most trouble free. But even kato's aren't perfect. I have a previously owned one that the worm gears make a major clunking noise only when pulling a load. I can probably fix it.

I want to get a couple SD40-2. Most of my 31 locos are the modern GE 4400 HP series. With this new csx today now have fourteen of them.....all Katos. I have found Kato N scale engines to be the best and most trouble free. But even kato's aren't perfect. I have a previously owned one that the worm gears make a major clunking noise only when pulling a load. I can probably fix it.

Funny you would mention that. My SD40-2 Dark Future is a Bachman. The other day I ran across a review comparing someone to Bachman and Kato. I've heard there used to be a big hoopla about Bachman stuff being crap but have long since turned it around. Again, I haven't been into this for nearly 40 years so I wouldn't know.
In the end I could tell, nor the review, no discernable differences in operating abilities.
I don't recall if this was DC or DCC.
I haven't bought an engine in all these decades and I can dam SURE they are all way better than they used to be. Well... until the last couple weeks I haven't bought anything. :)
Except for these new purchases and some material and some donations from friends, I haven't really bought much of anything. All the old stuff was sent to me from stuff I left behind to my little brother in the 70s. By then I had gone on to N and had then moved away to live with my Dad. Until recent, I hadn't seen any of the stuff since.
I'd say I'm mighty pleased with my progress thus far being only back into for less than 2 months.
My love of trains most certainly stood a serious test of time!

Catch you all tomorrow.
Eric.

You are correct about the driveshafts to the front and rears trucks. Those are what's missing. It sounds smooth to put the power to it so I know it wants to go. I think it would be a good runner myself. This is an old one so it's DC only.
The couplers on mine look like the hook type with that lower point cut off. I have a few other cars like that as well.

Got a lead on where I get driveshafts for it? I did some searching a few weeks but wasn't sure.
E.
Here;s a link to a parts engine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rivarossi-S...556830?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3cf17d465e

Back