Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Good morning. It's 82° with 89% humidity. The high will be 95°, cloudy with a chance of rain.
pcloudy-1.jpg
with
cond30.jpg

About noon today I'll be leaving for Oakdale. Gotta see my foot doc there so he can clean up the edges of the wound on the side of my foot and check on the site where the fourth toe was removed. Afterward he'll apply wet to dry dressings to them then I can make the long drive back home. Guess I'll find out if the a/c in the truck really works. Hope I don't run into any areas of heavy rain.

P1012644.jpg

Good morning everyone,
It's a warm day but starting to cool down, per WW it's: 81.7 °F - Feels Like 81 °F with Humidity of 40% with winds out of the SSW at 4.7 and the high going for ? not listed but I imagine about 86 °F? and tonights low will probably be 66 °F? in both cases no WW info.

The Humidity is probably due to all the water that was dumped and sprayed on the two rather large fires that were in the area. LoL. What I'm calling the area is at the cloest 8-9 miles North of my location for the fire in Oakhurst, and about 18-20 miles for the fire in French Flats, near North Fork. I talked with a couple of the firemen from the FF fire on Tues. night and they said it was fairly well contained and yesterday evening I saw a number of the fire trucks headed down my road headed back to Madera, I imagine.

Not knowing which way the winds might blow embers on Sunday evening I decided it was time to use my heavy duty self-propelled Yardman lawn mower and mowed a considerable amount of the high grass across from the end of my home about 18 ft and increased that width to about 40 ft. so I felt considerable more secure. When I finished that I also made a couple of more passed across the bank in front of the house that's about 125 ft. and by then it was getting fairly dim and I had enough of a workout too but darn glad I can still do it.

= = = = =

Not much RR work being done but fairly soon I think?

Have a good day!

That's a big skull cracker!

Got to Oakdale and back without incident. Got rained on half the time. Burned less than half a tank of gas. Filled up before I left. Nine gallons at $3.239 a gallon. $29.15 plus a Dr Pepper brings it to $30.94. Got back a little after five and laid back to rest a bit.

Say Garry,
Wow, I'll say it was stormy, those are some fairly big branches alright. It good they didn't hit the house as it looks like they could have caused some damage.

If you cut them up with a chain saw that will provide you with some decent size fire wood if you burn in your fireplace for heat. A contained fire during the winter sure takes the chill off especially once the bricks get warmed up.

> > >

I don't know what happened but when I first attempted to post this the window would not scroll up enough to all ow me to click on anything to get it posted?? So I had to copy everything and again start the post and paste in what I initially wrote. Hmm?

Last edited by a moderator:
David, the forum has been acting a little goofy for some time.Pages don't load right, clicking "last post" can take you almost anywhere in the thread, and some other mischief.

Thanks Terry, I've noticed various things in the past but wasn't sure if was something to do with my system or not?

One of the biggest complainst I have, although I should clarify I'm on a slower dial-up connection and still running XP and using Google & Firefox, is that it often seems to take forever to accept the post so I click on the post button again thinking the first time it didn't register and then I wind up with a double post.

So to nights mishap was something new I think?

Thanks Terry, I've noticed various things in the past but wasn't sure if was something to do with my system or not?

One of the biggest complainst I have, although I should clarify I'm on a slower dial-up connection and still running XP and using Google & Firefox, is that it often seems to take forever to accept the post so I click on the post button again thinking the first time it didn't register and then I wind up with a double post.

So to nights mishap was something new I think?
I used to have the same problem, when I was posting via a glacially-slow network. I finally got into the habit of saving my posts before clicking the submit button. That way, if the post went *poof*, I could just click "paste", and hit the reply button again.

Don't usually have much trouble, except with editing. Often won't "save" changes. Have to copy, delete original post, then paste to a new post.

Good evening. Nice trip today but tiring. Found out the hard way that the drivers side windshield wiper has a broken locking tab. Looks like I'll have to lash the locking bar in place so it can't come off. Windshield washer tank is also busted. Probably froze last winter and ruptured. Any water added to the tank just flows out onto the ground. When I feel I have the strength and energy to do it I'll remove the washer tank and examine it. I may be able to repair it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. One of my friends, Harry Raintree, a somewhat wild Apache Indian has joined a forum (other than mine) and is interacting with some of the members. So far he feels that they are out to get him. He doesn't do well in confrontations.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1012649.jpg

Hey There Folks, last night I went on Photobucket, was going to post a photo on a forum. Popup said I needed a Java update......I started that, then a flood of unwanted programs loaded themselves onto my computer....around 15 to 20. Kept getting popups where you can uncheck the boxes that usually stop the unwanted ones. Those kept coming and I kept un-checking the boxes but all the programs loaded anyway in spite of my efforts. I've un-installed about ten so far.....still working on it. So Heads Up if you use Photobucket watch out when the Java update comes.

Garry better the tree getting hit than your house. I'd like a dollar for every house or appt. that has gone up in flames due to lightning. Glad just the tree and not you.

Have to have another Eso scope. Something showed up in PET scan.
Prayers and Blessings for y'all. Goodnight.
Flip

Hey There Folks, last night I went on Photobucket, was going to post a photo on a forum. Popup said I needed a Java update......I started that, then a flood of unwanted programs loaded themselves onto my computer....around 15 to 20. Kept getting popups where you can uncheck the boxes that usually stop the unwanted ones. Those kept coming and I kept un-checking the boxes but all the programs loaded anyway in spite of my efforts. I've un-installed about ten so far.....still working on it. So Heads Up if you use Photobucket watch out when the Java update comes.

Say Mike, Thanks for the heads-up as I do use Photobucket. I try to stay away from all the, update stuff as I've also run into problems when attempting to do the update! Arh!

I never update from a website or even a message from the task bar (although the task bar should be safe). Always go to the authorised website and untick any boxes for stuff not wanted first.

COFFEE_POURING-Copy.png

765_WalnutSt7E2_zpsc7f8f1b6.png

Good Morning!

It's Fri 8/22/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Scattered showers with a high of 89. I'll be trying to do some work in the yard and not much else.

trainwreck.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Oh what a wonderful aroma! Bill has the coffee ready. Thanks Bill.
Temp. 75 going to 96-or 07 and scattered T-Storms. Will feel like 104 or 106.
Toast just popped up.
TTFN
Flip

Good morning y'all!

Op session was mostly a success last night, where my guests seemed to be having fun. Of course, as often happens, gremlins decided to crash the party; cars that had performed flawlessly during my rehearsal sessions occasionally derailed. And I forgot to throw a key turnout in staging [due to being distracted by a novice operator] so my Local crew rear-ended a parked train. Oh well. At least the t-storms that had been predicted for my area yesterday evening bypassed my neighborhood, no complaints from me - nearby lightning would have curtailed my ability to run trains safely.

My 18yr-old daughter and a friend will be flying out of BWI tomorrow for a 4-month trip to do a semester at the Austrian campus of her college - hopefully it will be an uneventful [read: safe] and enjoyable visit. Apparently the threat from that Icelandic volcano isn't as imminent as The Weather Chickens tried to make us believe.

Mike - I have learned to avoid those website-generated Java update dialogs like the plague! Every time I installed an "update", I always found an extra unwanted toolbar [sometimes more than one] on my browser that was an absolute PITA to get rid of. I've reached the point now where I install photos on my private [paid] web site instead of Photobucket. The risks outweigh the benefits IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'm kind of afraid to use photobucket anymore. At least one major virus came with the package and takes over my google chrome browser. I just watched a video of the several steps to removing it. I'm going to see if my microsoft security essentials free anti-virus will remove it first. Yesterday I un-installed about 20 unwanted programs that self loaded on wednesday. Good point about only getting updates from the Java site.

Back